BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Euro 2020, The final thread
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Steve201
post 12th July 2021, 09:36 AM
Post #1
Group icon
Shakin Stevens
User: 5,138

Just thought i would start this final thread on the Euros where people can talk about their moments of the tournament, players of the tournament and team of the tournament and whether this tournament will go down in history or not?

Also would just like to say thanks to Mack and all the other on the Sports forum who made the place a great arena for discussion over the past month and how it was great to see loads of people in the forum who maybe aren’t into football and not normally in the forum come and discuss it!
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
LiamSime
post 12th July 2021, 10:07 AM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 124,683

For me, the players of the tournament were the paramedics that saved Eriksen’s life. The speed that they reacted to it literally saved his life, if the outcome had went another way god only knows what would have happened to the tournament as a whole. I definitely have to say Italy were the team of the tournament for me, such a class, solid team and there long unbeaten run shows that, deserved winners. I love Chiellini, such a funny guy just seems like a pure joker and all round great guy, especially listening to his post match interview last night. Also a big well done to Jorginho, who becomes just the 10th player to start and win both the Champions league and European Championship in the same season! Roll on when club football returns smile.gif

+Quote this post
Steve201
post 12th July 2021, 11:03 AM
Post #3
Group icon
Shakin Stevens

Agree with all of the above!!

Great article this

https://t.co/qD8OS2gvAm

+Quote this post
Dobbo
post 12th July 2021, 11:17 AM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 20,053

The biggest takeaway from the tournament imo was how consistently great the standard of refereeing was. Barely any VAR controversies and fast, speedy decisions from referees. The PL is an embarrassment when compared with the Euros.

It's been a really great escapism for the last month and England going all the way to the final was a huge bonus. Lots of great goals too, Shick & Pogba were my faves.

The tournament will certainly be remembered for many things, not least the spread of the games and the return of full capacity crowds.

Echoing the thanks to all who've contributed to the Forum this past month and the great moderators who kept things running as smoothly as ever.

+Quote this post
Mack.
post 12th July 2021, 11:25 AM
Post #5
Group icon
It's still will be the return of the Mack 4eva
User: 12,915

Just to say a massive thanks to everyone who contributed to the Sports Forum during the Euros. It does mean a lot with the feedback we get.

+Quote this post
Houdini
post 12th July 2021, 11:26 AM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 21,725

I thought Euro 2020 ended up being a really good tournament. The first two matchweeks of the group stage were largely quite boring which I think was due to the mentality of teams knowing that 4 points would be enough for them to progress into the next round. It was from the last matchweek of the group stage onwards where the competition hotted up, in particular that night where the final matches of Group F took place and the "As it stands" live table kept changing around with every team being in an automatic qualifying position at one point.

The knockout stage was superb with plenty of high quality matches, the only boring match was Ukraine Vs Sweden and even that had a dramatic ending with the late goal for Ukraine. The highlight of the whole tournament for me was Monday 28th June when two of the craziest matches I've ever seen where played, 14 goals in two matches that both included a team coming back from 3-1 down. France Vs Switzerland was my favourite match out of all and it was the only match that I didn't watch as a neutral, I was over the moon for Switzerland when they beat France.

I also agree with the comments about the paramedics that saved Christian Eriksen's life, they were the biggest heroes of this tournament without a doubt. The two best teams of the tournament made it to the final but it would have felt like an injustice if Italy didn't win the trophy for all of the records they've set. It was good seeing so many people in these threads as well. I guess it's back to the usual 5-7 of us when club football starts again in August laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Steve201
post 12th July 2021, 03:39 PM
Post #7
Group icon
Shakin Stevens

Yeh excellent comment about the paramedics that saved Christian Eriksen life!

+Quote this post
Dobbo
post 12th July 2021, 03:49 PM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

Agreed, with a special mention to Kjaer who was first on the scene to clear Eriksen's airways, comforted his wife & orchestrated his team-mates to form the shield around him.

+Quote this post
Mack.
post 12th July 2021, 04:08 PM
Post #9
Group icon
It's still will be the return of the Mack 4eva
User: 12,915

The players of the tournament would the paramedics that saved Eriksen’s life. And also full credit to the Denmark team on the run they went on to reach the semi-finals.

Well done to Italy and Roberto Mancini who has done a fantastic job for them and that unbeaten record, I suspect they'll be the favourites for the World Cup.

England should be proud for their achievement to reach the final of a major tournament considering where we were 5 years ago.

I don't think a pan-European tournament should happen again though. Unless they're planning it for 2060!!

+Quote this post
Rooney
post 12th July 2021, 04:21 PM
Post #10
Group icon
WINTER IS COMING
User: 88

I really enjoyed the tournament. The group phase was a bit of slog as it felt like there was little jeopardy there, but there were still some great matches and the finale of the Group of Death was great fun.

The Switzerland-France game was the highlight for me, a really mad game and to see the pre-tournament favs go out so early was fun too. Feels weird now that it's over and we don't have another summer football tournament until 2024.

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post 12th July 2021, 07:00 PM
Post #11
Group icon
Buy yourself a car, and a house in Devon
User: 23,247

Some cracking matches this tournament, particularly enjoyed the underdog wins for Switzerland and the Czechs. That night which had both France v Switzerland and Spain v Croatia was probably the best of the tournament. It's certainly kept me entertained!

+Quote this post
Steve201
post 12th July 2021, 11:25 PM
Post #12
Group icon
Shakin Stevens

Top goal scorer - Christiano Ronaldo 4 goals in 5 games (Portugal)
Player of the Tournament - Donnaruma (Italy)
Young Player of the tournament - Pedri (Spain)

+Quote this post
DJHazey
post 13th July 2021, 01:03 PM
Post #13
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 21,783

EURO 2020 BEST XI

GK | | Gianluigi Donnarumma
DF | | Luke Shaw
DF | | Giorgio Chiellini
DF | | Harry Maguire
DF | | Leonardo Bonucci
MF | | Jorginho
MF | | Pedri
MF | | Paul Pogba
FW | | Federico Chiesa
FW | | Raheem Sterling
FW | | Patrik Schick

SECOND TEAM

GK | | Yonn Sommer
DF | | Joakim Mæhle
DF | | Leonardo Spinazzola
DF | | Simon Kjær
DF | | Kyle Walker
MF | | Pierre-Emile Højbjerg
MF | | Marco Verratti
MF | | Granit Xhaka
FW | | Cristiano Ronaldo
FW | | Harry Kane
FW | | Emil Forsberg

I get that the starting XI has three center backs, but I can't keep Maguire, Chiellini, or Bonucci out of it and feel right about it.

This post has been edited by DJHazey: 13th July 2021, 01:19 PM

+Quote this post
Dobbo
post 13th July 2021, 02:57 PM
Post #14
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

Even as a United fan I'd have Stones over Maguire as the latter missed the group matches.

Wouldn't have Pogba either, one great goal and nothing else. The rest are all good picks and better than the official one which picked Lukaku over Schick (how?!)

There wasn't really a huge stand out player like Griezmann in the last euros.

This post has been edited by Dobbo.: 13th July 2021, 02:57 PM

+Quote this post
crazy chris
post 13th July 2021, 04:06 PM
Post #15
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 53

100,000 signatures by angry English fans to have the result overturned and the final played again. rolleyes.gif Why? The penalties were sheer luck and Southgate chose the takers, not the Italians or FIFA.

Also an Italian witch apparently cursed England. rotf.gif Find her and burn her at the stake I say. biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by common sense: 13th July 2021, 04:26 PM

+Quote this post
Steve201
post 13th July 2021, 04:15 PM
Post #16
Group icon
Shakin Stevens

Yeh I would have Verratti in the first team and Maguire/Stones were even enough for me. Def would have Schick ahead of Lukaku for this tournament for sure. Forsberg wouldn’t be far off either! I would feel I have to get a Ukrainian in the team to considering they were the lowest ranked team who went furthest?

This post has been edited by steve201: 13th July 2021, 04:15 PM

+Quote this post
DJHazey
post 13th July 2021, 05:26 PM
Post #17
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 21,783

QUOTE(steve201 @ Jul 13 2021, 12:15 PM) *
Yeh I would have Verratti in the first team and Maguire/Stones were even enough for me. Def would have Schick ahead of Lukaku for this tournament for sure. Forsberg wouldn’t be far off either! I would feel I have to get a Ukrainian in the team to considering they were the lowest ranked team who went furthest?

| Matvitenko (DF) or Yarmolenko (MF)

also honorable mentions to:

| Lorenzo Insigne (FW)
| Haris Seferovic (FW)
| Thorgan Hazard (MF)
| Romelu Lukaku (FW)
| Andreas Christensen (DF)
| Mikkel Damsgaard (FW) [In discussion for young player breakout award that Pedri got]
| Denzel Dumfries (DF)
| Georginio Wijnaldum (MF)
| Stefan Lainer (DF)
| Xaver Schlager (MF)
| Goran Pandev (FW)
| Jordan Pickford (GK)
| John Stones (DF)
| Declan Rice (MF)
| Kalvin Phillips (MF)
| Jadon Sancho (FW)
| Luka Modrić (MF)
| César Azpilicueta (DF)
| Aymeric Laporte (DF)
| Dani Olmo (MF)
| Álvaro Morata (FW)
| Presnel Kimpembe (DF)
| Karim Benzema (FW)
| Kai Havertz (FW)
| Renato Sanches (MF)

+Quote this post
crazy chris
post 13th July 2021, 06:02 PM
Post #18
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 53

Boris has cancelled a planned champagne and nibbles reception ro be given by himself and Carrie later this week at No.10 for the players and management which was to happen whether they won or not, as he's said to be angry at racism claims against him and Priti Patel. I understand him as they've done nothing wrong, especially Priti who condemned unequivocally the racism after Sunday's match.

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post 13th July 2021, 08:39 PM
Post #19
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,272

QUOTE(common sense @ Jul 13 2021, 07:02 PM) *
Boris has cancelled a planned champagne and nibbles reception ro be given by himself and Carrie later this week at No.10 for the players and management which was to happen whether they won or not, as he's said to be angry at racism claims against him and Priti Patel. I understand him as they've done nothing wrong, especially Priti who condemned unequivocally the racism after Sunday's match.

So which bit of "picaninnies with watermelon smiles" and "women looking like letter boxes" is not racist? Pritti Ghastly supported people who booed players taking the knee. In other words, she supported people who were booing a stand against racism. The woman is a despicable human being with an equally despicable boss.

+Quote this post
Steve201
post 13th July 2021, 09:05 PM
Post #20
Group icon
Shakin Stevens

Wonderful to see Tyrone Mings calling her out and former cabinet member Johnny Mercer (ugh!) agreeing with him!!

+Quote this post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 24th April 2024, 04:36 PM