BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 
9 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> **FINISHED PG 9** Joseph's Hit 300 | Year-End 2023, these are the lovesongs i'll love again
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
JosephBoone
post 17th December 2023, 12:42 PM
Post #21
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
Pronouns: he/him
User: 13,530

QUOTE(Rizzard @ Dec 17 2023, 02:05 AM) *
I think Reindeer Games might need added in here if Episodes 1-3 are any indication!!

I'll include it next year for sure *.* perhaps combined with BBUS but so far so good!!!

QUOTE(Dancemberlexa @ Dec 17 2023, 07:28 AM) *
Doctor Who back on top as it should be *.*
was so good to have Tennant & Tate back even if only briefly as S4 was arguably the best ever, the final of this year's specials in particular was the best in many years.
the set-up for Gatwa era looks a lot more promising than Whittaker era which I wasn't so keen on anyhow

I quite enjoyed (both seasons of) Heartstopper this year too, don't usually go for rom coms but thought I'd give it a go given the mass love it got online. Wednesday was really great fun to watch too.

Glad you enjoyed the recent specials too!! Didn't have you down as a Heartstopper fan for some reason but glad you also enjoyed that wub.gif

Thanks both of you!!
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 17th December 2023, 01:13 PM
Post #22
Group icon

TV: Star of 2023

1 David Tennant and Catherine Tate
2 Cirie Fields
3 Kit Connor and Joe Locke
4 Tyler Lawrence Gray
5 Layton Williams and Nikita Kuzmin
6 Felicia Cannon
7 Yinrun Huang
8 Elzabeth Tulloch
9 Gavin Casalegno
10 Alison Hammond

The TV Star of 2023 category is about those who really captured my heart or my attention for one reason or another this year, whether it be an actor, presenter or reality TV star. Last year's winner was Matthew "Turner" Turner from Big Brother 23, who hasn't yet taken to something like The Challenge to keep a TV career alive so he's not eligible for two in a row. I've allowed a few pairings this time round, as nominating each of them individually feels wrong when their partnership is where the real magic is.

Reigning supreme for the second category in a row is Doctor Who, as its lead stars of 2023 David Tennant and Catherine Tate claim the top spot with their magical chemistry. Series 4 back in 2008, which starred Tennant and Tate as the Tenth Doctor and Donna Noble, was my favourite era of Doctor Who. 10 is my favourite Doctor and Donna is my favourite companion, so the news of their return had me really excited. This time around, Tennant played the new Fourteenth Doctor, but why did the Doctor revert to an old face? Their reunited adventures were magic, from the chaos of The Star Beast to the batshit mystery of Wild Blue Yonder, and of course the barnstorming conclusion of The Giggle which saw their joint story arc concluded in the most heartwarming way. The dynamic, despite being established in the early series of Doctor Who's revival, felt fresh through the development shown in 14. Tennant played the role with lots of heart and humility, while Donna benefits from the experience of motherhood (particularly as the mother of a trans girl). It was an enormous treat to see them together again, and it's got me excited for the next stage of Russell T Davies' second era of Doctor Who!

Reality TV has a big hand in this category, which is perhaps no surprise when it always provides big characters. Cirie Fields is known to many as the greatest player never to win Survivor, but my first experience of her was on the American edition of The Traitors. She ran rings around everyone else and deservedly clinched a win, before taking part in Big Brother 25 over the summer where she finished fifth, an impressive result for someone who was a big threat going in. Felicia Cannon was also a part of BB25, though she's here more for personality reasons than gameplay as much as she threw herself in. Felicia never held back, with her infectious laugh roaring through the house for almost all of the season. An icon! Big Brother UK's Yinrun Huang is just one place lower, with her innocence and naivety being so endearing. I love that the public took to her so much but she was the winner in my books!

Kit Connor and Joe Locke feature together for the second year in a row, with their partnership being the main reason Heartstopper lands so well. They embody their characters so well, with a particular highlight of season 2 being the scene where Nick supports Charlie in discussing his eating disorder. The unconditional support and comfort was such a beautiful message to send out! On the acting front, Tyler Lawrence Gray and Gavin Casalegno were both new to me in 2023, with their characters (Harlan in Wolf Pack and Jeremiah in The Summer I Turned Pretty respectively) being positive queer representations. Harlan is unapologetically gay, and I love how the show explores the contrast between his sometimes harsh personality and how tender he is when being intimate with a guy. Jeremiah was a beacon of positivity compared to brother Conrad, and whether or not you think he suits being with Belly or not, we all deserve a Jeremiah in our lives.

Elizabeth Tulloch delivered a barnstorming performance as Lois Lane in Superman & Lois this year. I already knew and loved her in Grimm, with the partnership of her and Teen Wolf's Tyler Hoechlin making Superman & Lois appeal to me in the first place, but she proved herself more than ever in the show's third season. Lois was diagnosed with cancer, and Elizabeth acted her socks off to show the impacts on Lois herself, and how she worries about her family, her job, and all of the people around her. Closing out the section, Layton Williams and Nikita Kuzmin created absolute magic on Strictly this year, putting the haters to shame by wowing us week in week out with dances that were unapologetic and original. Finally, queen Alison Hammond continues to bring magic into anything she does, notably this year's Bake Off. The world would be a depressing place without Alison on our screens!

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 17th December 2023, 01:15 PM
Post #23
Group icon

TV

New Drama: Wolf Pack
Returning Drama: Doctor Who
Comedy (Sitcoms / Panel): Abbott Elementary
Discovery: Girls Aloud: Off the Record
Soap: EastEnders
Quiz Show: The 1% Club
Entertainment: Dragons' Den
Competition Show: Big Brother [UK]

TV Star of 2023: David Tennant and Catherine Tate

NEXT: a brief look at my favourite movies of 2023!

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 17th December 2023, 08:00 PM
Post #24
Group icon

Movies

1 Teen Wolf: The Movie
2 Barbie
3 Red, White & Royal Blue
4 Wildflower

I'm not much of a movie watcher as I probably say here every year, so this list is never very populated, but I still made time for four new films this year. Of course, there was no way I wasn't going to make plenty of time for Teen Wolf: The Movie, the continuation of one of my all-time favourite series! Set several years after the conclusion of season 6, Teen Wolf: The Movie sees our protagonists on different paths in different places, but they find their way back together to Beacon Hills as a surprise person returns: Allison, previously thought dead in season 3. The way they brought Allison back was great and for such a huge cast, they touched on so many great character moments, including Melissa's motherly touch, references to the sadly absent Stiles, and a quick nod to the short-lived Scott and Malia romance. The star of the movie was newbie Vince Mattis, who played Derek's son Eli for his first outing. Eli deserves a spin-off for sure, particularly after the shocking and controversial conclusion! It was great to have Teen Wolf back, and I love that the door remains open for another movie or continuation at some point should they opt to go down that route.

I actually got out to the cinema to watch Barbie, not too long after it came out which is good going for me. I wasn't sure what to expect and I actually had no real intention of going to see it, but the good reviews and recommendations from friends convinced me. It was well worth the trip! It was surprisingly touching, as well as comedic and action-packed in just the right ways. Red, White & Royal Blue was a fun and cute watch, pretty standard romcom but that's not such a bad thing. Wildflower was one I watched for Charlie Plummer who is one of my favourite actors, and it missed the mark a little in its representation of disability but still had some cute moments.

NEXT: the Hit 300 Awards begin!

+Quote this post
HarryBorelli
post 17th December 2023, 08:06 PM
Post #25
Group icon
The Lady Said Go Home!
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 20,835

Doctor Who, Wolf Pack, BBUK and EE slaying, i know damn right!

+Quote this post
danG
post 17th December 2023, 09:04 PM
Post #26
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥
User: 11,746

I waited for at-home release as I was unsure about it, but actually really enjoyed the Barbie film, was a lot of fun. Second only to Guardians 3 for my favourite films of the year (of the very small handful I've seen)

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 17th December 2023, 09:13 PM
Post #27
Group icon

QUOTE(HarryBorelli @ Dec 17 2023, 08:06 PM) *
Doctor Who, Wolf Pack, BBUK and EE slaying, i know damn right!

QUOTE(Dancemberlexa @ Dec 17 2023, 09:04 PM) *
I waited for at-home release as I was unsure about it, but actually really enjoyed the Barbie film, was a lot of fun. Second only to Guardians 3 for my favourite films of the year (of the very small handful I've seen)

Thanks so much both!! wub.gif

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 17th December 2023, 09:14 PM
Post #28
Group icon

For the third year running, I will be handing out the Hit 300 Awards, honouring my favourite artists of the year as well as my favourite era and music video. See below for a list of categories!

Artist of the Year
North American Pop Soloist
British Pop Soloist
European Pop Soloist
Australian Pop Soloist
British Group
European Group
Australian Group
Hip-Hop / R&B Artist
Alternative Artist
Live Artist of the Year
Breakthrough Artist
Best Era
Special Recognition
Best Music Video
Comeback of the Year

The first category will be revealed tomorrow!

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 18th December 2023, 07:43 PM
Post #29
Group icon

British Group: S Club

This year, I divided the Group category up into nationalities much like the soloist categories. It felt unfair to only hand one award out to a group when there are regional awards for soloists, and I wanted to recognise multiple groups for their impact this year. It's probably no surprise to say that this group is one that features more than once. One thing I didn't expect in 2023, or any year later than 2003, was new S Club music, particularly following the sad passing of Paul Cattermole in April this year. I thought the band's reunion tour, if it were to go ahead, would serve as a tribute to their bandmate before calling it a day for good. Then, out of nowhere, These Are the Days was announced. Suddenly, the hype I felt in February when their 2023 reunion was originally confirmed was back. A song arrived that sounded like it had been lifted from S Club's glory days, and with just one new song, S Club proved why they own my heart. Lots more to come about the Good Times Tour as well, but it's hard to argue with the impact S Club have had on me this year, so they were a shoo-in for this.

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post 18th December 2023, 08:52 PM
Post #30
Group icon
Buy yourself a car, and a house in Devon
User: 23,247

I knew S Club were back but didn't realise they'd release new music - I'm so out of the loop! Giving a little listen now, sounding quite fun and pop-py, nodding my head along to it now.

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 19th December 2023, 05:24 PM
Post #31
Group icon

QUOTE(PeteFromLeeds @ Dec 18 2023, 08:52 PM) *
I knew S Club were back but didn't realise they'd release new music - I'm so out of the loop! Giving a little listen now, sounding quite fun and pop-py, nodding my head along to it now.

Glad you like it, Pete! I never in a million years expected new music from them so it was pretty amazing to hear a new song that fitted in so perfectly with their old material.

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 19th December 2023, 05:27 PM
Post #32
Group icon

Hip-Hop / R&B Artist: The Kid LAROI

Once again there's little competition for the hip-hop / R&B category as Australian superstar The Kid LAROI runs away with the title again. Laroi's debut album was overdue the second the clock hit 00:00 on 1st January 2023, having promised "album 2022" in the final lyric of 2021 album track I DON'T KNOW. The year got off to a good start with regular releases across January and February, but the wheels came off again until the campaign resumed properly at the end of 2023. The album's eventual release may have felt muted, but it sees Laroi dip his toes into many different genres, notably firmly back into the hip-hop roots that gave him his following. The energy across many of the tracks is high, and it clicks together like a jigsaw in all the right places. After so many delays, Laroi has promised new music will be releases regularly going forward, and long may it continue!

+Quote this post
Mack.
post 20th December 2023, 02:20 PM
Post #33
Group icon
It's still will be the return of the Mack 4eva
User: 12,915

Looking forward to new Kid LAROI music in 2024.

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 21st December 2023, 08:07 PM
Post #34
Group icon

QUOTE(Mack @ Dec 20 2023, 02:20 PM) *
Looking forward to new Kid LAROI music in 2024.

Me too! Thanks Mack!!

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 21st December 2023, 08:13 PM
Post #35
Group icon

North American Pop Soloist: Sarcastic Sounds

Previously the winner of Producer of the Year in 2021, the only time I've handed that award out, Sarcastic Sounds (real name Jeremy Fedryk) has taken centre stage on his own tracks in the years since. His debut EP in 2022 was a mix, with him providing vocals on half the EP, while he produced the other half, his vocals only appearing pitched up or down to complement the focus of a featured vocalist. As he turned to creating a full-length studio album for the first time, Sarcastic Sounds released a string of singles, not one of which was a collaboration with another artist. His vocals bring charm to each and every song, and he honed his craft on catchy folk-pop bops like Someday Soon, Stumbling and Jaycee, as well as tugging at the heartstrings on the lovely Better Half and his cover of Family of the Year's Hero. The result was four chart-toppers in my chart and a #1 album, and I also saw him live for the first time at his first (and so far, only) UK show, supporting New Hope Club! Photo below!

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 21st December 2023, 09:05 PM
Post #36
Group icon

Comeback of the Year: S Club

Of course, could it be anyone else for this category? Won last year by Charlie Puth who released his first album in four years, this year's comeback winner feels even more significant. I've already touched on the importance of S Club releasing new music, but what's even more insane is just how long it's been since they last dropped a new song. On 26th May 2003, S Club released Say Goodbye / Love Ain't Gonna Wait for You, a double a-side single of a brand new farewell song, and a track from their final album released six months prior. Their 2014-15 reunion opened the vault for the long-awaited release of Rain, a song that featured in their 2002 TV series Viva S Club but missed out on the accompanying album Seeing Double, but no new material came along. Therefore, These Are the Days arrived a huge twenty years after their last new release. Not only that, but the group embarked on a sold out tour of arenas in the UK and Ireland, and played Capital's Jingle Bell Ball, all whilst paying tribute to the much missed Paul. S Club as a five piece is bittersweet, but they've worked so hard to make it work, and it's gone above and beyond all of my expectations already, with plans in the diary for 2024 already, including more new music!

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 22nd December 2023, 02:29 PM
Post #37
Group icon

Australian Group: Cub Sport

Feels a little weird to be saying a band that's been active in some form for over a decade are among my breakout stars of 2023, but I truly hadn't heard of Cub Sport before earlier this year. I'm not even sure how I found them, perhaps it was a YouTube recommendation, or a random Spotify playlist that I found myself scouring for new music? Either way, I listened to a few recent songs from them at the time - Always Got the Love, Replay, Keep Me Safe and Songs About It - and I really liked what I heard. It was confident, unapologetic dance pop, bringing intimacy and sexuality together in the most intense way. Lead singer Tim Nelson and keyboardist Sam Netterfield's relationship is at the forefront of the band's aesthetic, making them standout queer role models, particularly as the current album era is titled Jesus at the Gay Bar. The album, released on Good Friday, was named after a poem from Jay Hulme where he envisions Jesus Christ visiting a gay bar, where he's approached a boy who wants to be healed, only to be told "there is nothing in this heart of yours that ever needs to be healed." Though the title may be courting a little controversy, particularly with its release date, its message links closely with the theme of many songs across the album, notably the song I linked below, Keep Me Safe. Jesus at the Gay Bar was one of the biggest albums of 2023 for me, and I'm so excited about where this Australian quartet end up going next!

(also f*** the BJSC x)

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 22nd December 2023, 10:12 PM
Post #38
Group icon

European Pop Soloist: Isac Elliot

With a career spanning over a decade now, Finnish popstar Isac Elliot is still only 22 years old (days away from turning 23). His debut single New Way Home was a #1 hit in his home country, and its parent album hit the top too, but he only experienced intermittent and inconsistent success after that. A Finnish-language collaboration in 2017 aside (which saw him return to the #1 spot), Isac continued releasing music in English, until just last year. The switch to singing in his mother tongue was rewarded with a huge level of success, with every single he's released since then reaching the top 10 in Finland. As for me, Isac's last twenty singles have reached my top 10, and he's had a top 10 hit in every calendar year since he debuted in 2013. Foreign language music faces an uphill battle in my chart usually, but Isac's weathered the storm. His on-trend collaborations and production has made for a great, current-sounding era, culminating in the release of album Kävi Miten Kävi, his first album in five and a half years, earlier in 2023. The quality is remarkably consistent and Isac's wasted no time on releasing more singles since the album came out, so I assume it won't be long until he adds 2024 to his impressive top 10 streak in my chart.

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 23rd December 2023, 04:41 AM
Post #39
Group icon
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
User: 3,217

You finally watching Girls Aloud: Off the Record was such a good life choice cheeseblock.png Those quotes will live on forever! laugh.gif

I'm quite behind on Abbott Elementary (I've seen up to Episode 10 of Season 2). I need to watch the rest of the season! I love the show, certainly one of my favourite comedies of recent years.

I have to admit I wasn't totally blown away by Wolf Pack but it was watchable and I'm intrigued enough to see where it goes... if when it gets renewed! I haven't seen any of the other New Dramas you've listed. ohmy.gif

Oooh at BB UK placing ahead of BB US for you, I wouldn't have expected it. *.* Yinrun supremacy! I agree that it ironed out the worst elements of the Channel 5 era; ITV gave a season I honestly think is up there with the best of Channel 4 era.

I can't complain about your ranking GBBO last. While I continue watching it, it borders on being a bit of a chore for me! cry.gif Alison was a welcome addition and freshened up the dynamic, bringing out the best in Noel too - that's my main positive. The format though... while I know there's no obvious way to change it up, it's become stale for me, and predictable. The lack of time often affecting their ability to turn out something of high quality isn't very entertaining to me.

That's a strong showing for Heartstopper at #2! wub.gif I'd probably say it's my favourite show of the year. It's just very, very good.

I was pleasantly surprised by The Summer I Turned Pretty, I became very engrossed in it. I stand with you in being Team Jeremiah! *looks respectfully*

RIP Good Trouble. cry.gif Consistently great television, I'll be sad to see it go!

The awards for S Club cheeseblock.png Very deserved. Can't wait to see what they give us in 2024!

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 23rd December 2023, 03:10 PM
Post #40
Group icon

QUOTE(-Jay- @ Dec 23 2023, 04:41 AM) *
You finally watching Girls Aloud: Off the Record was such a good life choice cheeseblock.png Those quotes will live on forever! laugh.gif

I'm quite behind on Abbott Elementary (I've seen up to Episode 10 of Season 2). I need to watch the rest of the season! I love the show, certainly one of my favourite comedies of recent years.

I have to admit I wasn't totally blown away by Wolf Pack but it was watchable and I'm intrigued enough to see where it goes... if when it gets renewed! I haven't seen any of the other New Dramas you've listed. ohmy.gif

Oooh at BB UK placing ahead of BB US for you, I wouldn't have expected it. *.* Yinrun supremacy! I agree that it ironed out the worst elements of the Channel 5 era; ITV gave a season I honestly think is up there with the best of Channel 4 era.

I can't complain about your ranking GBBO last. While I continue watching it, it borders on being a bit of a chore for me! cry.gif Alison was a welcome addition and freshened up the dynamic, bringing out the best in Noel too - that's my main positive. The format though... while I know there's no obvious way to change it up, it's become stale for me, and predictable. The lack of time often affecting their ability to turn out something of high quality isn't very entertaining to me.

That's a strong showing for Heartstopper at #2! wub.gif I'd probably say it's my favourite show of the year. It's just very, very good.

I was pleasantly surprised by The Summer I Turned Pretty, I became very engrossed in it. I stand with you in being Team Jeremiah! *looks respectfully*

RIP Good Trouble. cry.gif Consistently great television, I'll be sad to see it go!

The awards for S Club cheeseblock.png Very deserved. Can't wait to see what they give us in 2024!

Thank you for such an in-depth reply Jay heart.gif glad there's so much you've enjoyed!! I'm glad it's not just me regarding Bake Off. It's watchable and I enjoy it but it's complete background viewing really! sad.gif

The Summer I Turned Pretty was a revelation, really well executed teen drama full of great character moments. Jeremiah supremacy!

+Quote this post

9 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 27th April 2024, 10:07 AM