BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

153 Pages V  « < 124 125 126 127 128 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Robbie: Daily News
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Sydney11
post 15th July 2019, 08:59 AM
Post #2501
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 23,135
BST ROBBIE WILLIAMS Hyde Park review: A magnificent finale to British Summer Time, Robbie shows he's come home, back where he belongs.
By STEFAN KYRIAZIS 5/5

PUBLISHED: 01:27, Mon, Jul 15, 2019 | UPDATED: 01:59, Mon, Jul 15, 2019

It's been a hell of a few weeks at Hyde Park. The cream of music royalty hit the Great Oak stage from Bob Dylan to Barbra Streisand, Stevie Wonder to Celine Dion, plus Lionel Richie, and Florence and her Machine. Britain's own playboy prince wrapped it up following stellar sets from support acts Texas and Keane. Black Eyed Peas warmed up the crowd with an energetic show marred by major sound issues. But all was forgotten when the main man swaggered on to reclaim his crown. As always, the big question was whether Robbie would actually sing the hard bits in Angel or hand it over to the audience. In the end, it hardly mattered after such a spectacular show.

He may be a reformed character but he is no less cheeky and the set opened with a reworked national anthem. Lyrics like "God bless our Robbie, he can swing both ways, he is totally global, except in US of A," blissfully set the tone.

And then the superb band erupted, ten dancers in bra tops and pants strutted out and Robbie emerged in a sequin-encrusted jacket to blow 65,000 screaming fans away with Let Me Entertain You. And he did. Over and over.

"Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Robbie f***ing Williams," he roared and the crowd roared back. A catwalk brought him frequently out into the crowd and he had us in the palm of his hand.

He did the classic Freddie Mercury 'Ay-Oh', with a few extra calls. "Bi-det... Small toilet" he had us chanting. Few can pull it off like him, without or without toilet humour, but it was the perfect lead into a down and dirty We Will Rock You.

He pops off and returns in a blindingly bright pink and blue jacket and red snake print loafers. Slick. He looks like the same old Robbie but apparently he's the new ambassador for Weight Watchers, telling us: "It used to be cocaine and hookers, now it's hummus. My life is so much better or so my wife tells me."

Healthy or not, it's time for more fun on a bouncy Candy, then a crowd singalong karoake of 80s and 90's pop. It showcases his extraordinary affability and connection with his fans.

Getting serious, he asks: "England am I still your son?" The crowd roars yet again. He picks an Italian fan in the front row to sing back Come Undone lyrics acapella before launching ito a stirring full version.

An X Factor interlude brings out all his group contestants plus a few other familiar faces for Take That's Never Forget.

Another thing he never forgot, he tells us, was being a kid and seeing his dad warm up crowds with jokes and songs. In an incredibly moving moment, he brings out Peter Williams for a wonderful duet on Neil Diamond's Sweet Caroline. Pure class and the crowd laps it up. And sings along, of course.

Anecdotes about his three kids are fittingly followed by a heartfelt I Love My Life.
In another extraordinary crowd-pleasing moment he brings a lady up on stage from the crowd. Leslie from Scotland is sprayed across screens giggling and beaming with joy as he serenades her with Something Stupid. It's goofy and gorgeous.

Then it's back to another classic with Millennium before he recalls his anger after leaving Take That to deliver a raw No Regrets.

With huge eye-popping video backdrops, sensational backing dancers and his own arsenal of massive anthems, Robbie turned Hyde Park into a real stadium spectacular. Already an instinctive showman, his residency in Las Vegas has added another slick and shiny dimension.

But there is also real substance behind the style. There are no screens or dancers for a powerful Real Love. It needs no tricks. Especially with 65,000 on backing vocals.

Energy levels rise as he shouts out: "Ladies and gentleman I'll be Robbie Williams if you're Kylie Minogue" before a bombastic Doing It For The Kicks hypes us all up and then Hyde Park becomes a huge (roller) disco for a riotous Rock DJ.

Up for "equal opportunities" he changes the start of She's The One for a man in the audience in a 'gay best friend' t-shirt. The crowd sings and sways along in joyous agreement.

It's almost over as he teases: "I wouldn't go without doing the hit." Those blissful opening chords ring out and we're all angels. Sure, he lets us do the heavy lifting on the big bits but not due to any vocal limitations. He has never sounded better, rich and full-bodied. He understands the ecstatic joy the crowd has belting back that euphoric Angels chorus and lets us have our moment.

The encore is a glorious collective catharsis on My Way, the lyrics scrolling down the screen. He's had a few regrets and travelled each and every highway, but he's always taken us along for the ride. He faced it all and he's standing taller than ever - and last night was a fitting celebration of an extraordinary career and a man finally finding some peace and enjoying his rewards.

"I've got a smile in my heart and a bigger one of my face," he told us and every single person felt exactly the same way. The loud speakers playing the crowd out of the park blasted out Dirty Dancing's Time Of My Life. A risky choice in advance, but every word had proved true.

Utterly Robbie. Utterly glorious.

https://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/fil...ummer-Hyde-Park
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Sydney11
post 15th July 2019, 09:02 AM
Post #2502
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
QUOTE(Laura130262 @ Jul 15 2019, 12:39 AM) *
wave.gif wave.gif wave.gif

You could see Robbie was thrilled by the audiences response. I saw him say "Wow" at the end. He said he would have the biggest smile on his face all week.

Absolutely delighted for him Laura , it's nice to get recognition & appreciation on your home soil yahoo.gif

+Quote this post
Sydney11
post 15th July 2019, 09:10 AM
Post #2503
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Hot Fudge , love that song... the stage looks magnificent smile.gif

+Quote this post
Sydney11
post 15th July 2019, 09:11 AM
Post #2504
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

Really great comments ....

+Quote this post
Sydney11
post 15th July 2019, 10:49 AM
Post #2505
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Love the sing-a-long from these guys wub.gif

+Quote this post
Sydney11
post 15th July 2019, 10:55 AM
Post #2506
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Great on stage graphics

+Quote this post
Sydney11
post 15th July 2019, 11:03 AM
Post #2507
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
‘England’s son’ Robbie Williams closes BST festival
The set was peppered with 90s tunes including Old Before I Die and Millennium.

Alluding to his former party-boy lifestyle, the father-of-three joked that he had changed his after-show ways dramatically over the years.

To laughter from the crowd, Williams – who is an ambassador for Weightwatchers, now known as WW, said: “I do enough exercise so I can have some houmous after the show.

“It used to be cocaine and strippers and now it’s houmous.” dry.gif

https://www.independent.ie/entertainment/mu...l-38312553.html

+Quote this post
Jade
post 15th July 2019, 12:32 PM
Post #2508
Group icon
Alone and wounded
Pronouns: She/her
User: 12,810
My parents were there last night and said that they had a lot of fun and Robbie was on top form! G'won.

+Quote this post
Sydney11
post 15th July 2019, 01:07 PM
Post #2509
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
QUOTE(Jade @ Jul 15 2019, 01:32 PM) *
My parents were there last night and said that they had a lot of fun and Robbie was on top form! G'won.

Great they enjoyed themselves Jade dance.gif

+Quote this post
Sydney11
post 15th July 2019, 01:13 PM
Post #2510
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

jump.gif bounce.gif bounce.gif bounce.gif bounce.gif bounce.gif bounce.gif bounce.gif bounce.gif bounce.gif bounce.gif bounce.gif bounce.gif bounce.gif bounce.gif bounce.gif bounce.gif bounce.gif jump.gif

+Quote this post
Sydney11
post 15th July 2019, 01:32 PM
Post #2511
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Robbie Williams proves he’s still an untouchable entertainer with triumphant BST Hyde Park show Adam StarkeyMonday 15 Jul 2019 1:01 pm

5/5

Robbie Williams might be far from his musical peak, but a commanding headline show to close this year’s BST Hyde Park proved he’s still peerless when unleashed on the live stage.

Whatever your opinion on Robbie, he could never fall into the bracket of boring

Robbie Williams proves he’s still an untouchable entertainer with triumphant BST Hyde Park show . Robbie Williams might be far from his musical peak, but a commanding headline show to close this year’s BST Hyde Park proved he’s still peerless when unleashed on the live stage. Whatever your opinion on Robbie, he could never fall into the bracket of boring. From his late 90s heyday rubbing shoulders with Britpop icons, turning the pop microscope on himself with Come Undone or Sexed Up, going full Rat Pack, all the way through to partying like a Russian, Robbie’s the template for making even career duds a fascinating spectacle. It’s an awareness of his flaws which makes Robbie such an endearing personality. Kicking off his BST Hyde Park show, the crowd are invited to sing the Robbie national anthem — with lyrics about ‘giving rap a go’ on Rudebox, failing to crack the USA, and ending with thousands of fans bellowing he’s well hung. It’s ridiculous, but in a pop age where the offensively polite Ed Sheeran and George Ezra rule the roost, it’s a welcome throwback to when arrogance reigned supreme. With a back catalogue filled with this many hits, Robbie has earned his license to cock around too. From the opening chimes of Let Me Entertain You, a song which could still fire up a party inside a nunnery, the crowd are putty to his command. We’re pinged across his entire spectrum, with Old Before I Die sat alongside prancing lollipops on Candy, before he hilariously serenades a member of the crowd on a sofa for Somethin’ Stupid. There’s moments where sincerity shined through the bravado too. For a rendition of Take That’s Never Forget, former X Factor contestants he’s mentored Misunderstood and Acacia & Aaliyah are brought out onstage. The crowd might not have remembered them, but seeing their faces light up as thousands throw up their arms for the chorus had warmth no reality TV could muster. Later, Robbie’s dad Peter joined him to cover Neil Diamond’s Sweet Caroline, recalling how watching his father sing inspired his career. If the first half was light on Robbie’s imperial phase, the second felt like flicking through a classic songbook of British pop. No Regrets, Millennium, She’s The One, Kids, Feel, drop one after the other with the crowd throwing back every word. Eternity and Escapology deep cut Hot Fudge are also dug out for the occasion, with the former about his friendship with Geri Horner sounding even better now than in 2001. By the time Rock DJ transforms Hyde Park into a euphoric hen do, there’s a sense you’re watching the last of a dying breed of popstar — one free from the self conscious social media age who can embody the classic British trait of not giving two sh*ts. Even his most generic songs, like the plodding Love My Life, at least feels spun through a carefree Robbie blender. No popstar comes close to not giving a poop . As Angels rings out across the field, Robbie lets the audience mostly carry the tune — knowing it’s practically engrained into the salt of the earth on these shores. While it’s a sight he’s seen countless times before, he nevertheless seemed humbled by Hyde Park’s huge response, remarking how this will keep the smile on his face for ‘at least the next two weeks’. Closing with his cover of My Way holding up a lyric teleprompter for the audience, Robbie Williams proved he’s a bulletproof popstar who is still untouchable as a live performer. He might know his best days are behind him, but that doesn’t mean he can’t celebrate, with infectious warts and all, being one of the greatest entertainers the UK has ever produced. Other acts on the line-up The Black Eyed Peas couldn’t shake off reoccurring sound issues and Will.i.am’s illness in their disappointingly chaotic set, with the absence of I Gotta Feeling coming across as a statement of defeat. They were a far cry from the polish of Keane and Texas, whose stack of radio-friendly singalongs proved the best warm-up for the spectacle to come.

Read more: https://metro.co.uk/2019/07/15/robbie-willi...19/?ito=cbshare

Twitter: https://twitter.com/MetroUK | Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MetroUK/

+Quote this post
Sydney11
post 15th July 2019, 01:36 PM
Post #2512
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Robbie Williams at BST review: Hitting all the high notes with renewed force

4/5

Robbie Williams’s personal and professional lives have always been inextricable, his protracted struggles with depression and addiction providing ample source material for his songwriting. Now a happily settled father of three with a successful Las Vegas residency ongoing, things finally seem sweet for the 45-year-old entertainer.

Closing this year’s British Summer Time Hyde Park concert series last night, Williams wasted no opportunity to make light of the chasm between his current state of comfort and past predicaments. Referencing the showbiz rule that as a performer one must love one’s audience, he quipped: “In the Nineties, I tried to love you all individually.” Later he mocked his new-found status as a brand ambassador for Weight Watchers, joking: “It used to be cocaine and strippers backstage, and now it’s hummus.”

And yet clean-living clearly suits him. Bounding on stage to Let Me Entertain You, he proved a renewed force, strutting and flexing in a sequined jacket. Vocally, Williams was in great shape too, making light work of Come Undone’s epic chorus and effortlessly hitting the high notes in standout tracks Feel and No Regrets.

Cover versions abounded, with Williams and his band inducing mass singalongs of Little Richard’s Land Of 1000 Dances and Neil Diamond’s Sweet Caroline, the former performed with 2018 X Factor contestants and the latter with his father Pete.

Though well-received in some sections, a barbershop-style cover of Shaggy’s It Wasn’t Me was far less palatable, as was the awkward section in which he serenaded an audience member with Somethin’ Stupid. Both were proof that Williams’s glib, end-of-the-pier-show antics will forever divide audiences.

Indeed, Williams is such a slick showman that it’s genuinely affecting when he lets his mask slip. For set-closer My Way, accompanied on keyboards by his previously estranged co-writer Guy Chambers, there was a real sense of ghosts being laid to rest.

https://www.standard.co.uk/go/london/music/...t-a4189856.html

+Quote this post
Laura130262
post 15th July 2019, 08:51 PM
Post #2513
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 10,265
All those excellent reviews are totally deserved.

The on stage graphics were amazing Tess - all new. I'd not seen any of it before.

The whole XF segment was so touching, you could see their excitement on the screens and I think Eternity with LMA choir was my favourite of the whole night. It felt really magical.

Sometimes I forget how good he is at what he does when all the glitz and confetti has been stripped aside - then you get a night like last and you realise his 30 year career is there for a reason. That power he has to conduct a crowd is amazing. Plus his voice was great, he looked amazing, I could feel his energy. He does just get better and better.

I won't keep going on and on about it laugh.gif I don't want to bore everybody- my lips are sealed after this angel.gif

but he was f***ing brilliant. wave.gif wave.gif wave.gif wave.gif wave.gif wave.gif wave.gif wave.gif wave.gif wave.gif wave.gif wave.gif wave.gif

+Quote this post
Laura130262
post 15th July 2019, 08:53 PM
Post #2514
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
QUOTE(Sydney11 @ Jul 15 2019, 11:49 AM) *
Love the sing-a-long from these guys wub.gif

Wow - they have amazing voices. cool.gif

+Quote this post
Laura130262
post 15th July 2019, 09:04 PM
Post #2515
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

The whole gig is here. cool.gif

I just watched the first five minutes. I said to my friend he got the second line of LMEY wrong last night . I thought it wasn't my imagination. He gives away his nervousness sometimes.

+Quote this post
Laura130262
post 15th July 2019, 10:13 PM
Post #2516
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Listen up, Glastonbury – Robbie Williams’ BST Hyde Park show is the ultimate come and get me plea https://www.nme.com/reviews/live/listen-up-...and-get-me-plea

Do you remember when NME hated Robbie?

Now they want him to have the legends spot at Glastonbury. cool.gif

+Quote this post
elisabeth1974
post 16th July 2019, 03:22 AM
Post #2517
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 25,575
i would so like him do glasto. proud fan!

+Quote this post
Sydney11
post 16th July 2019, 07:32 PM
Post #2518
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
QUOTE(Laura130262 @ Jul 15 2019, 09:51 PM) *
All those excellent reviews are totally deserved.

The on stage graphics were amazing Tess - all new. I'd not seen any of it before.

The whole XF segment was so touching, you could see their excitement on the screens and I think Eternity with LMA choir was my favourite of the whole night. It felt really magical.

Sometimes I forget how good he is at what he does when all the glitz and confetti has been stripped aside - then you get a night like last and you realise his 30 year career is there for a reason. That power he has to conduct a crowd is amazing. Plus his voice was great, he looked amazing, I could feel his energy. He does just get better and better.

I won't keep going on and on about it laugh.gif I don't want to bore everybody- my lips are sealed after this angel.gif
but he was f***ing brilliant. wave.gif wave.gif wave.gif wave.gif wave.gif wave.gif wave.gif wave.gif wave.gif wave.gif wave.gif wave.gif wave.gif

It was one of those nights Laura where everything worked perfectly, the weather was lovely, Robbie was on fire & the audience responded in kind . The show seemed really fresh , they put a lot of effort in & it paid off , loved the addition of the choir & the XF singers , it worked really well . I loved Eternity also as I did She''s The One which is never a favourite of mine but worked beautifully with the choir. Lovely to see Guy & Robbie hug each other at the end , I think that they both understood what the night meant to Robbie & the response from the crowd. I love the band, backing singers & dancers, you can see they all work really hard to make it a great show.

+Quote this post
Sydney11
post 16th July 2019, 09:53 PM
Post #2519
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Up close version of Eternity wub.gif

+Quote this post
Sydney11