BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> All I Wanna Do ● 25 years on
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
___∆___
post 25th August 2022, 11:06 AM
Post #21
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,155

^^ they really didn’t know how to manage acts capable of 1 or 2 hit singles, it was obviously an area they wanted to move into but we’re clueless waiting months and months between releases etc., - such a shame as Dannii recorded some bangers with them and was in the public eye constantly due to XF.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
slowdown73
post 26th August 2022, 11:08 PM
Post #22
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 1,031

All I wanna do came out at a time when Kylie was really struggling chartwise and this actually performed reasonably well. It was certainly Dannii's strongest release up until that point and is still one of her better tracks.

+Quote this post
pippa
post 27th August 2022, 12:01 AM
Post #23
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 14,031

It was a time Kylie was really struggling with an era that has become so integral to her career and hugely fan popular.
There was a very short period that looked like Dannii would become more popular.

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 24th September 2022, 03:10 PM
Post #24
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 12,472

Sorry to make anyone feel old but 'All I Wanna Do' was released 5 days before I was born! laugh.gif There are a couple of other songs that contend for my favourite Dannii song (not quite settled on an ultimate fave) but 'All I Wanna Do' definitely takes top place on some days. It's got the most catchy chorus and Dannii's high vocal partners well with the dance production. I think dance music works really well when it is laced with emotion and I think Dannii's delivery of the lyrics really captures that.

I'm curious as to why this became such a big hit for Dannii (other than it being a banger of course). It was #23 on the radio airplay chart the week the single debuted (53-24-23 chart run) which is much better than previous Dannii singles but not enough alone to explain its #4 debut and the Top of the Pops performance didn't air until 22 August, after 'All I Wanna Do' had debuted. I know the CD featured the music video which I think was a relatively new thing (or CDs featuring videos had previously been chart ineligible, I'm not sure, maybe someone else has more knowledge?) but I don't know how much of effect that would have.

This was the Top 5 the week 'All I Wanna Do' debuted:

1- MEN IN BLACK- Will Smith (133,000)
2- TUBTHUMPING- Chumbawamba (113,000)
3- I’LL BE MISSING YOU- Puff Daddy & Faith Evans (74,000)
4- ALL I WANNA DO- Dannii Minogue (72,000)
5- FREED FROM DESIRE- Gala (63,000)

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post 24th September 2022, 04:06 PM
Post #25
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 845

She was close enough to go top 3, shame it didn't make it for her.

+Quote this post
vibe
post 24th September 2022, 04:19 PM
Post #26
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 11,763

Capital FM really supported AIWD

+Quote this post
___∆___
post 24th September 2022, 06:16 PM
Post #27
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

QUOTE(Liam.k. @ Sep 24 2022, 04:10 PM) *
Sorry to make anyone feel old but 'All I Wanna Do' was released 5 days before I was born! laugh.gif There are a couple of other songs that contend for my favourite Dannii song (not quite settled on an ultimate fave) but 'All I Wanna Do' definitely takes top place on some days. It's got the most catchy chorus and Dannii's high vocal partners well with the dance production. I think dance music works really well when it is laced with emotion and I think Dannii's delivery of the lyrics really captures that.

I'm curious as to why this became such a big hit for Dannii (other than it being a banger of course). It was #23 on the radio airplay chart the week the single debuted (53-24-23 chart run) which is much better than previous Dannii singles but not enough alone to explain its #4 debut and the Top of the Pops performance didn't air until 22 August, after 'All I Wanna Do' had debuted. I know the CD featured the music video which I think was a relatively new thing (or CDs featuring videos had previously been chart ineligible, I'm not sure, maybe someone else has more knowledge?) but I don't know how much of effect that would have.

This was the Top 5 the week 'All I Wanna Do' debuted:

1- MEN IN BLACK- Will Smith (133,000)
2- TUBTHUMPING- Chumbawamba (113,000)
3- I’LL BE MISSING YOU- Puff Daddy & Faith Evans (74,000)
4- ALL I WANNA DO- Dannii Minogue (72,000)
5- FREED FROM DESIRE- Gala (63,000)

It was everywhere in the lead up to its release and the clubs really got behind it.

Also Kylie was on challenging Deconstruction era of her career and Dannii came back with a pop dance banger - I remember being shocked at it entering at #4 as back then there were limited means of getting any midweek info.

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post 24th September 2022, 07:17 PM
Post #28
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

Ya I also remember the shock of dannii getting a top 5 especially when kylie was struggling and couldn't come even close to top 10.

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 27th September 2022, 12:23 AM
Post #29
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 12,472

QUOTE(___∆___ @ Sep 24 2022, 07:16 PM) *
It was everywhere in the lead up to its release and the clubs really got behind it.

Yeah I guess it did get good support from the clubs - the first of a string of #1s on the Upfront Chart wasn't it?

+Quote this post
vibe
post 27th September 2022, 04:53 AM
Post #30
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 11,763

^ being number 1 on this chart didnt do anything for many other singles.

+Quote this post
___∆___
post 27th September 2022, 11:06 AM
Post #31
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

QUOTE(vibe @ Sep 27 2022, 05:53 AM) *
^ being number 1 on this chart didnt do anything for many other singles.

It was her big comeback though and the others that followed in the Girl era were not as good, the club impact certainly helped NN era.

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post 27th September 2022, 01:05 PM
Post #32
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

Ya it's a shame the follow ups didn't do much.

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post 27th September 2022, 01:21 PM
Post #33
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51

The follow-ups were more than worthy, but I think 'All I Wanna Do' was just a fluke for her at that time given how the album performed off the back of it.

+Quote this post
___∆___
post 27th September 2022, 01:54 PM
Post #34
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

QUOTE(Jessie Where @ Sep 27 2022, 02:21 PM) *
The follow-ups were more than worthy, but I think 'All I Wanna Do' was just a fluke for her at that time given how the album performed off the back of it.

I loved the follow ups especially ‘Disrememberance’.

I think Eternal had zero idea of how to market Dannii off the back of AIWD - they rush released ‘Girl’ 4 weeks after AIWD and gave it next to no promotion and didn’t give it a chance to build on the usual 2-3 singles before dropping the album, she had been away for 4 years and the previous album tanked so they needed more than a 4 week album build up.

I don’t think ‘Girl’ would have been a runaway success but it certainly could have done better than #57.

+Quote this post
tommie
post 27th September 2022, 02:16 PM
Post #35
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 8,073

QUOTE(___∆___ @ Sep 27 2022, 01:54 PM) *
I think Eternal had zero idea of how to market Dannii off the back of AIWD - they rush released ‘Girl’ 4 weeks after AIWD and gave it next to no promotion and didn’t give it a chance to build on the usual 2-3 singles before dropping the album, she had been away for 4 years and the previous album tanked so they needed more than a 4 week album build up.

Exactly - add that after finally getting good press for All I Wanna Do, she all of a sudden got bad press due to "Girl" bombing and then it all just plays out itself - radio gets unsure if they want to support her, Everything I Wanted was probably a bit too much of a departure from All I Wanna Do (would've probably been better to follow up with Disremembrance) and it all spirals from there.

+Quote this post
___∆___
post 27th September 2022, 02:19 PM
Post #36
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

^^ totally agree, such a mess of an era and missed opportunities galore.

It’s almost as if Eternal expected AIWD to flop and it’s success caught them totally off guard and they just threw the album out.

+Quote this post
tommie
post 27th September 2022, 02:27 PM
Post #37
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 8,073

QUOTE(___∆___ @ Sep 27 2022, 02:19 PM) *
It’s almost as if Eternal expected AIWD to flop and it’s success caught them totally off guard and they just threw the album out.

They certainly didn't expect it to do as well as it did - apparently Dannii got originally signed after she did a cheap video for Someone New, so I guess at one point that was considered as single #1 (shades of Your Disco Needs You?).

But in general - Eternal just wasn't a label that dealt with albums; going by that era it seems like their most successful artists at the time were Gina G (!) and Dario G (?). They also handled the releases for Katrina and the Waves, but their rooster were essentially dance acts and Eurovision artists; not exactly the type that could work on re-launching Dannii as an album artist.

+Quote this post
___∆___
post 27th September 2022, 06:51 PM
Post #38
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

^^ WEA stepped in and took control of a few albums under their marketing.

I really wonder what Eternal’s expectations were for ‘Girl’ after 1 single? It was also totally not the done thing back then and nearly all albums launched after a singles campaign spanning a few months - they must’ve really thought they could potentially get a decent sized album seller off the back of a #4 single, maybe they were banking on the ‘Love & Kisses’ album type of success (Top 10 and Gold) and thought that ‘Get Into You’ was a blip in her history?

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post 27th September 2022, 10:47 PM
Post #39
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

Id say they were banking on success to match love and kisses and there hopes might have been raised when all i wanna do did so well as i think (maybe I'm wrong) that initially took a few people by surprise. I think as others have said, Eternal didnt really know how to handle a marketing campaign for an album as they were also behind Hollys Valances 2nd album which like Girl should have done far better than it did.

+Quote this post
Sacred3
post 21st November 2022, 05:36 AM
Post #40
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 150,421

All I wanna do was a shock hit , and I remember everyone locving it and hailing Dannii as the better Minogue sister. However, when Everything I wanted came out most people said the song was rather boring and dull. Mostly everyone liked the Xenomania mix instead and said it should have been the main single version.

+Quote this post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 26th April 2024, 11:32 AM