BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
> 
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Lewis's Countdown Of One Hit Wonders Of The Millennium Pt. 2, 2010-2019 (Started)
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
LewisGT
post May 8 2019, 04:08 PM
Post #1
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Genre Mod
Member No.: 18,293
   No Gallery Pics

A few years ago Radio 1 did a show where they played 00's one-hit-wonders for the whole day which inspired me to make this topic.

When I completed that I said I would be back for this decade and here we are. If anyone read any of that topic, you would have seen that my writing on each song was pretty short and poorly written as I was trying to rush through the whole decade. This time it will be much slower and (hopefully) with longer and more descriptive commentary.

Rules: An artist must only have one top 20 hit as lead-credit. Features do not count.

If I've worked it out correctly 2010 had 27 One Hit Wonders starting with this one..

1. Sidney Samson ft Wizard Sleeve - Riverside (Let's Go)
2. Girls Can't Catch - Echo
3. Jedward ft Vanilla Ice - Under Pressure (Ice Ice Baby)
4. Helping Haiti - Everybody Hurts
5. Gramophonedzie - Why Don't You
6. Daisy Dares You ft Chipmunk - Number One Enemy
7. Young Money ft Lloyd - BedRock
8. McLean - My Name
9. Joshua Radin - I'd Rather Be With You
10. Fyfe Dangerfield - She's Always A Woman
11. Edward Maya ft Vika Jigulina - Stereo Love
12. The Pretty Reckless - Make Me Wanna Die
13. K'naan - Wavin' Flag
14. Shout For England ft Dizzee Rascal & James Corden - Shout

This post has been edited by LewisGT: Mar 30 2020, 09:08 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
DalekTurret32
post May 8 2019, 07:12 PM
Post #2
FIVE YEARS OF THE TURRET 15-20
Group: Members
Member No.: 21,666
   No Gallery Pics

So excited!
I remember following your last 'one hit wonder' countdown back when I was just a new user.
You provide some interesting elaborations on your opinions.

+Quote Post
LewisGT
post May 8 2019, 09:47 PM
Post #3
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(DalekTurret32 @ May 8 2019, 08:12 PM) *
So excited!
I remember following your last 'one hit wonder' countdown back when I was just a new user.
You provide some interesting elaborations on your opinions.

Thank you, you're very kind biggrin.gif

I have my final 2 uni assignments in for next week so after that I will be free to begin this. (Apart from 1 more exam in June)

The first song is a massive tune and one of 12-year-old me's favourites.

This post has been edited by LewisGT: May 30 2019, 03:42 PM

+Quote Post
LewisGT
post May 22 2019, 02:47 PM
Post #4
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

Sidney Samson ft Wizard Sleeve - Riverside (Let’s Go)

Peak: 02
Chart Run: 2-3-5-5-13-17-23-30-40-44-39-42-46-49-67-76-77-66-67 (19 weeks)
Nearly a hit: N/A

Commentary: To begin this countdown off, let’s go all the way back to the 2nd chart of the decade with its first big chart battle where ‘somehow managed a second big hit’ Iyaz debuted at #1 with the most 2010 song imaginable: ‘Replay’ and this corker had to settle for 2nd place, despite very impressive sales of 97k.

Riverside was originally a hit in his homeland for Dutch DJ Sidney Samson almost a year earlier in its original form with the iconic Tupac sample. For the UK release, the vocals from a 2008 song titled ‘Me Plus You’ by US-group Wizard Sleeve was dubbed into the song.

I personally love both versions of the track, but I probably do listen to this version more often. Yes, the lyrics are completely cheesy (Goddamn girl you got an ass for days; one plus one it equal two) but there’s something incredibly charming about how cringy they are that makes it worth coming back for.

Here’s two fun facts I found about the artists: Sidney Samson is married to Eva Simons of Will.I.Am’s This Is Love fame & Wizard Sleeve’s name comes from a line in Borat.

Rating: 10/10

This post has been edited by LewisGT: May 24 2019, 11:39 AM

+Quote Post
danG
post May 22 2019, 03:33 PM
Post #5
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 11,746
   No Gallery Pics

Riverside was a proper fave at the time. Sidney never really did anything else of note sadly though he is still going.

Oliver Heldens recently did a good remix of Riverside too.

+Quote Post
DalekTurret32
post May 22 2019, 04:23 PM
Post #6
   No Gallery Pics

Riverside is such a bop

+Quote Post
LewisGT
post May 24 2019, 11:41 AM
Post #7
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(danG @ May 22 2019, 04:33 PM) *
Riverside was a proper fave at the time. Sidney never really did anything else of note sadly though he is still going.

Oliver Heldens recently did a good remix of Riverside too.

QUOTE(DalekTurret32 @ May 22 2019, 05:23 PM) *
Riverside is such a bop

I will have to give that Oliver Heldens remix a listen at some point

Thank you both for commenting biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
LewisGT
post May 24 2019, 12:06 PM
Post #8
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

Girls Can’t Catch - Echo

Peak: 19
Chart Run: 19-32-49 (3 weeks)
Nearly a hit: Keep Your Head Up (#26)

Commentary: Girls Can’t Catch were a very short-lived girlband consisting of 3 members: Daizy, Jess & Phoebe. I remember their name but genuinely nothing else about them so this should be interesting.

They were founded by Fascination Records, the same label that had The Saturdays among their roster, and attempted to raise their profile by supporting Girls Aloud & The Jonas Brothers on tours. However, they never really seemed to take off and despite this single peaking 7 places higher than their debut, they were dropped soon after and all went their separate ways.

Listening to it now, it’s not hard to see why they didn’t last. Like a lot of the pop at the time they leaned into the electro-angle, but the vocals are so dull that it ultimately ends up sounding generic and forgettable. All in all, this just sounds cheap and soulless compared to the music their labelmates were putting out.

The most interesting fact I can find about this band is that one its members is now one of the judges on All Together Now.

Rating: 5/10

+Quote Post
LewisGT
post May 30 2019, 03:24 PM
Post #9
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

Jedward ft Vanilla Ice - Under Pressure (Ice Ice Baby)

Peak: 02
Chart Run: 2-12-11-28-50-65-74-96-88-100 (10 weeks)
Nearly a hit: Lipstick (#40)

Commentary: Where to even start with Jedward? I’m sure everyone remembers them from X Factor 2009 where they briefly became the two most controversial and infamous people in the country. As two identical 18-year-old Irish twins with hyper personalities and crazy hair, they were chosen as the year’s token novelty act by Louis Walsh and managed to survive until the 7th week of live shows. They of course also went on to represent Ireland at Eurovision on two occasions, finishing at a high of 8th.

Their debut single was this mash-up of Queen & David Bowie’s ‘Under Pressure’ and a song which famously sampled it, Vanilla Ice’s ‘Ice Ice Baby’. They originally performed this when they were contestants on X Factor and as I remember, it was one of their better received performances. It finished a distant #2 behind Owl City's Fireflies and quickly vanished from the charts.

While the song is obviously terrible, I do have a bit of a soft-spot for it in just the same way as I do for the Vanilla Ice original. Even though, Vanilla Ice was hardly much of a get in 2010 it was still incredibly surprising to see him agree to re-record his verse for this release. It led me to wonder what the members of Queen thought about it, so I Googled it and Brian May was apparently fairly approving. Listening back to it now, it’s not as awful as I remembered and it’s bringing back memories of that brilliant clip of them performing at ‘T4 on the Beach’ where one of them broke a leg and the other is still jumping around. laugh.gif At the end of the day, this song is pretty fun and sometimes that’s enough.

Random Jedward fact: they appear in the 3rd, 4th and 5th Sharknado films.

Rating: 6.5/10

+Quote Post
danG
post May 30 2019, 04:37 PM
Post #10
   No Gallery Pics

That and Lipstick really should've had their chart peaks swapped, Lipstick seems to be more remembered although mostly for its Eurovision connection - better song too (not that it's a great song but it's got decent novelty value).
Under Pressure was just an uninspired quick and easy hit by taking something they'd just performed on X Factor and tacking Vanilla Ice on for the nostalgia.

+Quote Post
Mack.
post Jun 3 2019, 01:20 PM
Post #11
It's still will be the return of the Mack 4eva
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 12,915
   No Gallery Pics

Grown to like 'Riverside' throughout the years, found this annoying when this was out. 'Echo', Girls Can't Catch trying to like a nu-Girls Aloud minus 2 members. 'Under Pressure' an easy hit for Jedward. Lipstick though was perfect for Eurovision.

+Quote Post
LewisGT
post Jun 3 2019, 08:58 PM
Post #12
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(danG @ May 30 2019, 05:37 PM) *
That and Lipstick really should've had their chart peaks swapped, Lipstick seems to be more remembered although mostly for its Eurovision connection - better song too (not that it's a great song but it's got decent novelty value).
Under Pressure was just an uninspired quick and easy hit by taking something they'd just performed on X Factor and tacking Vanilla Ice on for the nostalgia.

I actually don't remember anything about what Lipstick sounded like kink.gif All I remember is that I wasn't a fan. laugh.gif

QUOTE(Mack. @ Jun 3 2019, 02:20 PM) *
Grown to like 'Riverside' throughout the years, found this annoying when this was out. 'Echo', Girls Can't Catch trying to like a nu-Girls Aloud minus 2 members. 'Under Pressure' an easy hit for Jedward. Lipstick though was perfect for Eurovision.

Riverside has always been a banger for me biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
LewisGT
post Jun 3 2019, 09:01 PM
Post #13
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

Helping Haiti - Everybody Hurts

Peak: 01
Chart Run: 1-1-9-26-42-77 (6 weeks)

Commentary: In 2010, Haiti suffered a catastrophic earthquake that caused tragic consequences across the country. To raise money for the Disasters Emergency Committee & The Sun newspaper’s Helping Haiti Fund, Gordon Brown asked Simon Cowell arrange this charity single. Featuring plenty of X Factor & BGT alumni, including Joe McElderry, Leona Lewis, Alexandra Burke, JLS, Cheryl & Susan Boyle and other random artists (where else are you going to find Jon Bon Jovi, Mariah Carey, Westlife & Mika on the same single) the song sold 205,000 copies in 2 days to easily become a #1 single.

As the first #1 single in this countdown, this was back all the way back in the time before streaming where it was still relatively easy to bag a big charity hit and every year seemed to produce a few. Charity hits have recently appeared to be a dying trend with this remaining the best-selling one of the decade (apart from James Arthur’s Impossible which feels like a cheat). Although with Ladbaby & The RSPB recently doing well maybe they haven’t fully died down yet.

On a purely musical level, this suffers from the same problems as the rest of these large-group charity singles, they are left sounding disjointed due to their purpose not being an attempt to be aesthetically pleasing to listen to but instead to quickly raise money for an urgent issue. I don’t think anyone particularly does a bad job, but the mass of voices just doesn’t gel together at all very well. At the end of the day, I think we’d all prefer just to listen to the original.

There’s still lots of charity singles to come including NHS Choirs, Justice Collectives, Band Aids, Artists for Grenfell, Wealdstone Raiders and X Factor Finalists.

Rating: 4/10

This post has been edited by LewisGT: Jun 3 2019, 09:01 PM

+Quote Post
danG
post Jun 3 2019, 09:46 PM
Post #14
   No Gallery Pics

For me that was one of the better charity singles of the decade. Although that was mostly down to the song choice, and I wasn't familiar with the original version at the time, they did a good job with it.

+Quote Post
DalekTurret32
post Jun 3 2019, 10:31 PM
Post #15
   No Gallery Pics

Wasn't very fond of Echo or Under Pressure (Ice Ice Baby), though I did quite like Vanilla Ice's parts in the latter.
I liked the Helping Haiti song, though it doesn't top the incredible original by REM.

+Quote Post
LewisGT
post Jun 13 2019, 06:38 PM
Post #16
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(danG @ Jun 3 2019, 10:46 PM) *
For me that was one of the better charity singles of the decade. Although that was mostly down to the song choice, and I wasn't familiar with the original version at the time, they did a good job with it.

QUOTE(Darwin Turretson @ Jun 3 2019, 11:31 PM) *
Wasn't very fond of Echo or Under Pressure (Ice Ice Baby), though I did quite like Vanilla Ice's parts in the latter.
I liked the Helping Haiti song, though it doesn't top the incredible original by REM.

I wasn't expecting 'Helping Haiti' to get so much support laugh.gif

2010 is now going to be one song shorter! While I was very much looking forward to discussing 'Release Me', Skepta this week bagged himself two more top 20 hits which disqualifies him from this countdown.

This post has been edited by LewisGT: Jun 13 2019, 06:46 PM

+Quote Post
LewisGT
post Jun 13 2019, 06:43 PM
Post #17
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

Gramophonedzie - Why Don’t You

Peak: 12
Chart Run: 12-17-18-26-37-44-60-78 (8 weeks)

Commentary: Gramophonedzie is a Serbian DJ whose real name is Marko Milićević. After attending the Irish Red Bull Music Academy he kick-started his career with this modern update of a classic hit.

‘Why Don’t You’ contains a sample of Peggy Lee’s 1940’s recording “Why Don’t You Do Right” which in itself was a cover of a song first performed in 1936 by Harlem Hamfats, originally called “The Weed Smoker’s Dream”. Gramophonedzie apparently made this track as his girlfriend of the time was “a huge fan” of the Peggy Lee song and “begged him” to turn it into a club track. While re-working old songs have been a bit of a craze in dance music in this decade (for example Felix Jaehn & James Hype are among the one-hit-wonders still to come) they don’t usually go this far back in time to find their source.

I must say I have no recollection of this song from the time, so this is going to be my first discovery from the countdown. After listening to it, I have mixed feelings. I like the idea of the song with its incorporating of jazz elements, but I don’t think it does enough to justify its existence. The vocals on the chorus have been chopped far too much to enjoy which leaves it sounding pretty weak and boring. What makes this song stand out is Peggy Lee's vocals and here they are chopped so much that they could have been anybody which makes the song feel a bit pointless. On another note, I also listened to the Harlem Hamfats original and that was a very smooth piece of jazz. Certainly, a much better listen than this.

Fun fact about Gramophonedzie: He started his career by producing the theme song for Veliki Brat, the Balkan version of Big Brother.

Rating: 5/10

This post has been edited by LewisGT: Jun 24 2019, 11:57 AM

+Quote Post
danG
post Jun 13 2019, 07:07 PM
Post #18
   No Gallery Pics

Really liked 'Why Don't You', was a very unique dance hit.

+Quote Post
LewisGT
post Jun 17 2019, 08:31 PM
Post #19
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(danG @ Jun 13 2019, 08:07 PM) *
Really liked 'Why Don't You', was a very unique dance hit.

I thought the choice of sample was very interesting but the song just didn't do enough with it.

+Quote Post
LewisGT
post Jun 17 2019, 08:32 PM
Post #20
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

Daisy Dares You ft Chipmunk - Number One Enemy

Peak: 13
Chart Run: 13-19-27-34-56-68 (6 weeks)

Commentary: Daisy Dares You is a British singer who found fame with this release at the age of 17 and who, like Girls Can’t Catch before, was dropped by her label before the release of her debut album. Her stage name derives from a character in the irritating and fairly surreal children’s show ZZZap!

Her first single featured Chipmunk, or Chip as he now likes to be known, who ended up having a much more successful career, even reaching the top 20 just this year as a feature on Roddy Ricch’s How It Is. I remember that I was a fan of this at the time despite finding it a bit cheesy. It’s now been years since I’ve last listened to it so it’s going to be interesting to see how well it holds up. I’m suspecting not very well.

The chorus to this song remains catchy and is by far the stand-out moment in the song. The rest is awful and very of-its-time. Chipmunk’s verse is by far the worst part of the song. The horrible autotune effect on his vocals sounds childish and really lives up to his once stage name. Daisy’s verses don’t fare too much better. Whatever accent she’s trying to do feels forced and makes her sound like a BTec Kate Nash. Honestly, if she re-recorded this now with the same chorus but some better verses, I think I would love it. Chorus is a solid 9/10 but the rest of the song has dragged it down to a 6 for me. Disappointing as it could have been so much more.

Fun fact about Daisy Dares You: She wasn’t a fan of being compared to Avril Lavigne, saying “Frankly, anyone who says I was influenced by Avril Lavigne can get stuffed”.

Rating: 6/10

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 07:24 PM