BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
26 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> MADONNA • Queen of Pop • RESULTS, ♥ FULL results p.g 25 ♥
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Spiral
post Aug 23 2014, 03:52 PM
Post #21
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 8,208
I love Dear Jessie. I read somewhere that "Dear Jessie" was released in the UK to get Christmas sales apparently. Also, where are you working where you hear "Dear Jessie"?
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post Aug 23 2014, 03:53 PM
Post #22
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51
It took me until the other day to realise how much of a 'Hello' replica 'Turn Up The Radio' is!

+Quote this post
gooddelta
post Aug 23 2014, 03:55 PM
Post #23
Group icon
Hello?
User: 116
I prefer the Rollergirl cover of Dear Jessie, iconic turn of the century dance smash! No sad losses so far for me though.

+Quote this post
danG
post Aug 23 2014, 04:01 PM
Post #24
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥
User: 11,746
forgot to vote in this oops. Was getting round to it weeks ago but there were too many of her songs I was unfamiliar with.

Hung Up to absolutely slay everything please!

+Quote this post
dandy*
post Aug 23 2014, 04:03 PM
Post #25
Group icon
Mansonette
User: 54
I loved Dear Jessie when I was a child, the whole thing appealed to me at that age as a mixture of christmas, fairytales and music so I still have a comparatively soft spot for it now.

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post Aug 23 2014, 04:51 PM
Post #26
Group icon
User: 13,007
Rich, you always have the best covers/remixes to hand so i'll check that one out when I get home. Also, to all, post any favourite remixes/live performances of the songs too as we go as I'm sure we'd all appreciate some twists on the classics biggrin.gif

QUOTE(Spiral @ Aug 23 2014, 04:52 PM) *
I love Dear Jessie. I read somewhere that "Dear Jessie" was released in the UK to get Christmas sales apparently. Also, where are you working where you hear "Dear Jessie"?

In a well known supermarket tongue.gif granted I hear this mainly in the twilight hours or when the store is closed, but they play a whole heap of Madonna singles all the time so it gets me through it, ha!

(Results continuing later tonight magic.gif)

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post Aug 23 2014, 06:53 PM
Post #27
Group icon
What I want is a celebration

| 57 // Angel // Like A Virgin // 6.37 (2: fgiboy, robswift, dandy // 10: regina, sweetcandy, titty)

| 58 // This Used To Be My Playground // Barcelona Gold // 6.37 (2: oliver, 3: gezza, robswift, riser // 10: luciano, simon)

| 59 // Love Profusion // American Life // 6.35 (1: niallminogue, jark // 10: regina, oliver, cassandra)

| 60 // You Must Love Me // Evita // 6.34
(2: gavindeejay, 3: mr_aly, luciano // 10: johnkm, 9: liamk, sweetcandy, fgiboy, regina)

First up, taken from the movie 'Evita' is the aptly titled, 'You Must Love Me'. A signature Madonna ballad in parts, it shows off her vulnerable vocals, and coupled with a lovely melody it's quite the slice of warm cheese. Not the most memorable of songs she's done, but decent enough.

And much to Regina's heartache, the first single off 'American Life' bows out, as the love it or hate it, 'Love Profusion' enters at #59. The verses here are fantastic, but the chorus with her whining voice are what turn me off it slightly. It's one of the less brass songs off the album though and so makes sense as a single but it's definitely not an album highlight. And the less said about the video, the better.

The second of two movie-soundtrack singles in this section, in 'This Used to Be My Playground'. Not seen the film it was taken from, and it's almost impossible to find a recording of the song online so it's definitely one of the songs i know from her least and tend to forget it ever happened. Still, it was admired at the time (becoming her 10th US #1 single) and still favours well today.

Rounding off this section, as the third single off the album, is 'Angel'. With her cheeky giggles running throughout the song, and her wistful tone, it's a little beauty but not quite as bold as the other singles from the album or many ones to follow it. Fabulously iconic music video to accompany it.

+Quote this post
randomfurlong
post Aug 23 2014, 07:02 PM
Post #28
Group icon
musing
User: 13,969
'Angel' way too low! glorious song.

+Quote this post
calxyum
post Aug 23 2014, 07:17 PM
Post #29
Group icon
my caviar brings all the lords to the court~
Pronouns: he/him
User: 20,799
Angel should be at least twenty places higher. :/

+Quote this post
Regina
post Aug 23 2014, 07:26 PM
Post #30
Group icon
Raining Shitter
User: 5,572
ALL of those songs are amazing sad.gif

+Quote this post
Liаm
post Aug 23 2014, 07:27 PM
Post #31
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!
User: 10,139
Nothing on American Life deserves to be this low sad.gif

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post Aug 23 2014, 08:24 PM
Post #32
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 12,472
Really like this bunch of songs, although no real shocks as they are among Madonna's more unfamiliar tracks.

Not sure why I scored 'Angel' a 6/10, I like it much more than that. Probably still my least favourite Like a Virgin single but the standard of singles from that album is pretty high. 'This Used to Be My Playground' is a gem on the Something to Remember collection, and 'You Must Love Me' would have fit nicely on there too had it been released before it. A great vocal performance from her and one that I didn't realise I liked as much as I did. 'Love Profusion' is also a lovely track, I thought it was generally hated so it's nice to see some high scores for it. And I actually quite like the video. ph34r.gif

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post Aug 23 2014, 08:25 PM
Post #33
Group icon
It hurts so much, to be in love with a masterpiece

| 53 // Masterpiece // MDNA // 6.56 (0: triangles, 3: pippa, leww, fgiboy, // 10: liamk, hausofkubrick, liam)

| 54 // American Pie // Music // 6.54 (-1: aled, 0: jakewild, triangles // 10: liam, niallminogue, randomfurlong, ultraviolence, robswift, liamk, oliver)

| 55 // Don't Cry For Me Argentina // Evita // 6.45 (0: jakewild, triangles // 10: regina, liam, johnkm)

| 56 // Causing A Commotion // Who's That Girl // 6.40
(3: regina, gavindeejay // 11: fgiboy, 10: johnkm, mikemyers)

Gah. What a quartet. Two more movie singles and two of her finest. First up is Madonna 'Causing A Commotion', the second single taken from 'Who's That Girl'. The song is joyous, cheeky and a lot of fun. Especially when compared to the melodramatic, over-the-top, yet beautifully cutting 'Don't Cry For Me Argentina'. A monumentous movie/music moment and one of the most well-known movie songs, she really gives it her all. Originally sung as part of the 1978 musical, Madonna does it justice and then some.

Next up is the first single from 'Music' and another cover, where Madonna took on a whole new genre and perfected it, as depicted in 'American Pie'. Not quite sure why the song has done so badly here, even with a wealth of 10s, but it just shows we're getting into serious territory ALREADY. A mellow and toned-back affair, the song was included as a bonus track on the album yet fits in perfectly with its tone and concept.

</3 'Masterpiece' has to have suffered from the 'MDNA' effect, surely!? A vintage Madonna beauty, with all the heart and soul that makes her shine. Oddly vocalised at times, but a lovely concept and heart-breaking lyrics. I'm shocked it's not only come so low but it's also not the highest single from the album, especially as it's the clear highlight for me. Still proves that she has it and will probably never lose it.

Eek at three of Liam's 10s in this one post alone :/

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post Aug 23 2014, 08:32 PM
Post #34
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 12,472
'Causing a Commotion' is one of my least favourites, although that's not to say it's not good. It's fun, just not so memorable.

I'm surprised to see 'American Pie' with so many 10s! ohmy.gif I thought it was just me who had a secret liking to it! It's usually heavily criticised, mainly because the original Don McLean version is so widely celebrated. Both 'Don't Cry For Me Argentina' and 'Masterpiece' are excellent vocal pieces from Madonna; the latter is very different to the general sound of MDNA but a ballad is much needed on there. Shame on y'all for not voting it higher! mad.gif

+Quote this post
jark
post Aug 23 2014, 08:38 PM
Post #35
Group icon
something you consider rare
User: 2,990
QUOTE(HausofKubrick @ Aug 22 2014, 10:39 PM) *
The second 'Erotica' single drops out, as 'Bad Girl', another of her more controversial numbers as she sings of one night stands and fooling around fails to impress. With an oddly jarring, yet enticing chorus, i'm still not 100% sure where i stand with this (or anything from the album), but i rarely return to it, and it's definitely a dud moment / era in her back catalogue.

Sorry but what?! Fair enough if you don't appreciate Bad Girl for the sizzling confessional it is, but I have never once heard anybody refer to it as a dud of her back cat. This song is so many leagues above the actual duds like Girl Gone Wild, Hanky Panky et al. It's a widely acknowledged highlight of a well regarded album! Not to try and tell you you're unwelcome to your opinions of course, that just struck me as the oddest choice of wording.

This post has been edited by Jark: Aug 23 2014, 08:39 PM

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post Aug 23 2014, 08:54 PM
Post #36
Group icon
QUOTE(Jark @ Aug 23 2014, 09:38 PM) *
Sorry but what?! Fair enough if you don't appreciate Bad Girl for the sizzling confessional it is, but I have never once heard anybody refer to it as a dud of her back cat. This song is so many leagues above the actual duds like Girl Gone Wild, Hanky Panky et al. It's a widely acknowledged highlight of a well regarded album! Not to try and tell you you're unwelcome to your opinions of course, that just struck me as the oddest choice of wording.

I have never got the high regard behind it. Coming after 'Like A Prayer' and before 'Bedtime Stories' (which i'm not the biggest fan of, but still as an album it seems so delicate and heartfelt), the entire 'Erotica' era just comes across so forced, dark and unappealing. There are some *moments* on it ('Rain') but 'Bad Girl' in particular leaves me feeling quite cold and not in a good way like she's capable of sometimes. I'm probably being overly harsh now, but this is just in comparison to the other highs she has, which i just can't begin to see this song as. Perhaps i'm biased to every other era bar this (& with this single being the one i return to least), but for me anyway, it's a complete non-moment.

(listening to it again now though as a "confessional" as you say, is interesting and perhaps as one of the songs that leaves me most cold, it DOES require the time & repeated listens to take effect? We'll see...)

+Quote this post
Qween
post Aug 23 2014, 09:28 PM
Post #37
Group icon
Schlagerdrottningen
User: 11,709
I think Erotica is the exact opposite of forced. I've always seen it as a necessary step for her, first she got all of her emotional baggage out of the way, allowing her to be open/sexual/free in a way she wasn't before. The path from Like A Prayer, through Justify My Love to Erotica is a logical one, at least to me. It might not be so succinct sonically, but at least for the most part it's all cracking music.

Anyway, Bad Girl is nothing short of a masterpiece, the video, the vocals, THE LOOK which I maintain is one of her very best, it all works so perfectly as a confessional and as a majestic piece of music and songwriting too. Bedtime Stories is the comedown after the sordid night before, basically and represents the next logical step, even if it is a deeply flawed and often rubbish album.

+Quote this post
Qween
post Aug 23 2014, 09:29 PM
Post #38
Group icon
Schlagerdrottningen
On the other hand Causing A Commotion being out so soon is sad, although not entirely surprising. It's utterly basic, but that chorus is just undeniable and doesn't let up.

+Quote this post
Qween
post Aug 23 2014, 09:31 PM
Post #39
Group icon
Schlagerdrottningen
And finally American Pie might not be a patch in the original in terms of meaning or importance, but as a song it's really rather lovely. Surprised to see so many 10s though as I always thought it was regarded as being pretty shit.

+Quote this post
jark
post Aug 23 2014, 09:32 PM
Post #40
Group icon
something you consider rare
User: 2,990
Bedtime Stories stinks of damage control. I think she really lost some of her drive to be a popstar at that moment in time. Maybe she was pissed that she'd poured so much into Erotica and it had been met with such a muted reception. (In hindsight I think critics and fans are much kinder to it.) But there's nothing very Madge about Bedtime Stories. A lot of the tracks could really be anyone.

+Quote this post

26 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 12:40 AM