BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Pokemon Scarlet & Violet, Generation 9: Out November 2022
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Aaron.
post 18th November 2022, 03:45 PM
Post #41
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 3,245

Oh dear yes... it's a bit, chunky at times. NPCs walking in the background look pretty awful. I've had a few glitchy moments, probably the worst that I've seen in a mainline Pokemon game, but yes.. nothing MAJOR for sure.

I played for about 2 1/2 Hours last night, and another hour this morning. In that first 2 1/2 Hours I only made it to the Town, I didn't even go into the School by this point. Tons of exploration, tons of Pokemon to catch (and I'm catching them all as I see them). In a lot of the Twitch plays I watched pre-release, many avoided Pokemon and Trainers.. I definitely do not do this laugh.gif

Really, I've only completed the School and a few Raid Dens and randomly walking around exploring, which I love.
My team currently (I guess we can call this Pre-First Gym?):

Greavard (Chompers) - Tera Type: Psychic - Level 13
Flamigo (Twinksly) - Tera Type: Flying - Level 13
Azurill (Bouncey Ball) - Tera Type: Normal - Level 15
Shroodle (Toxic Maus)- Tera Type: Normal - Level 16
Pawmi (Sparky Bear) - Tera Type: Electric - Level 16
Quaxwell (Cuddly Nuggs) - Tera Type: Water - Level 17

I do like the 'Lets Go' auto-battle function, however I find if it's a hoard of Pokemon, it does the job. Individual groupings of Pokémon however, my Pokemon just seems to attack the first one and sit there for the rest.

Edit: just finished the first Gym, I'm not sure if these need to be done in order exactly, but took on the first Gym and had no issues at all. One hit KOs, I took zero damage. Flamigo is a beast!
My team after the first Gym:

NEW: Azurill (Bouncey Ball) - Tera Type: Ground - Level 13
Flamigo (Twinksly) - Tera Type: Flying - Level 18
Pawmo (Sparky Bear) - Tera Type: Electric - Level 18
Shroodle (Toxic Maus)- Tera Type: Normal - Level 19
Greavard (Chompers) - Tera Type: Psychic - Level 20
Quaxwell (Cuddly Nuggs) - Tera Type: Water - Level 20

This post has been edited by Aaron.: 18th November 2022, 05:09 PM
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
lewistgreen
post 18th November 2022, 05:15 PM
Post #42
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Pronouns: he/him
User: 19,585

My copy has arrived but I have a busy weekend so probably won't be playing it until Sunday evening ugh. I just couldn't not order it and went with Violet

+Quote this post
Neil
post 18th November 2022, 07:40 PM
Post #43
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 9,016

So I've just made it to the first poke centre so very early on - but I'm stunned that I already have 24 unique Pokemon lol. And I missed one because I knocked out the Deerling I found and now I can't see anymore sad.gif

Really enjoying it so far for the most part, and the "Let's Go" auto battling is a game changer I think. But my goodness it does play rough doesn't it. How could they have released it with all these graphical glitches even after the day 1 patch? The most annoying one for me is the HP bar is so stuttery when you've done so damage.

I went for Fuecoco as my starter, but will be breeding some baby Fuecoco eggs as soon as I'm able if anyone wants to trade!

+Quote this post
Aaron.
post 18th November 2022, 08:28 PM
Post #44
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

I’m at 48 and really for me it was just the route to the School and the route to the first Bug Gym.
I can’t seem to see how long my playtime is, anyone know where to find this? I’m still getting a hang of all the controls.

How do Eggs work in this generation, I thought I read something about it being tied to the Picnics?
Just had my first Picnic too THE GRAPHICS OMGGG laugh.gif

But yes, absolutely once I get that figured out I’d love to do a trade once I figure out the eggs, and finding a Ditto I guess.

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 18th November 2022, 08:32 PM
Post #45
Group icon
User: 13,007

I've been out all day and only got back. No one was in to sign for my parcel so they've dropped it off at the nearest Matalan which is closed now so I won't be able to start the game today tearsmile.gif

Super excited to get started though!

+Quote this post
Aaron.
post 18th November 2022, 10:10 PM
Post #46
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

Good Egg Guide including Ditto Locations/Strategies

Pretty much set up a picnic with a Male/Female on your team (or one and ditto) and check the basket for an egg.

+Quote this post
Aaron.
post 18th November 2022, 11:40 PM
Post #47
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

I hope nurse joy got a good severance package unsure.gif

+Quote this post
Liаm
post 19th November 2022, 02:18 AM
Post #48
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!
User: 10,139

I’ve done the 4th gym so far and my team is:

Floragato (Trixie)
Tinkatuff (Amy)
Primape (PressT)
Scovillain (Chili)
Farigarif (Aziza)
Kilowattrel (Sgt Byrd)

Also have Naclstac (Salt Cure is great, it was such an MVP) and Pawmo in the back, the latter was being annoying evolving and I had physical attackers I wanted to use more so I needed a special electric type and Kilowattrel replaced him. Don’t usually like doubling types but I love the fact we finally have a Fire/Grass and there isn’t a better Fire type I want to use rn so Scovillain is cool for now.

+Quote this post
Aaron.
post 19th November 2022, 04:19 PM
Post #49
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

I just got my 4th badge as well; I hardly noticed I was completing the “Gym” which just seems to be completing tasks now?
They really didn’t want to give us anything indoors this generation laugh.gif

I’m just outside of Porto Marinada now, I am taking my sweet ass time with this game. I’m at 13H 30M, 78 Pokémon Caught here’s my current team:

Houndstone (Chompers) - Tera Type: Psychic - Level 31
Naclstack (Clip Clop) - Tera Type: Rock - Level 33
Flamigo (Twinksly) - Tera Type: Fighting - Level 33
Azumarill (Bouncey Ball) - Tera Type: Ground - Level 34
Quaxwell (Cuddly Nuggs) - Tera Type: Water - Level 35

This game is definitely way more challenging than SwSh, the story is also way better, but they could lean more into the school aspect. I also found SwSh was very “gifty” where although I’m getting good items - nothing as good as what was just given to you last gen. I’m also broke AF.

+Quote this post
Liаm
post 20th November 2022, 03:00 AM
Post #50
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!

I’ve done loads today, now only one each of the gyms, bases and Titans left!! Ended up adding Palafin to my team so I have a water type, the Hero form is a beast but I had to get my friend to join co-op for it to evolve, they’ve got some really silly methods in this game laugh.gif

I agree about the story and difficulty too, I’m finding the gyms super easy but there was one Nemona battle where she ran me close which I didn’t expect and a couple of the Star bases have been challenging due to their Revravoom bosses. I like that this story is just basically you being a kid, having a fun adventure, it is amusing that on your second day of school you just sod off to have an adventure though laugh.gif I haven’t gone back and done any classes although it keeps flashing up that new ones are available.

The characters are stronger too I feel, all the gym leaders feel like distinct fleshed out people and I’m actually invested in Nemona and Arven as rivals/friends, they feel believable and more fleshed out than say Hau or Hop. I quite like the gym tasks as an idea but a lot of them are either just forgettable/pointless or kind of annoying at best.

When the game is this fun, I don’t care about any of the graphical blips, particularly when it’s nothing game breaking. Although picnic breeding is kind of infuriating, the egg powers help (I’ll have to get higher level ones) but I despise the fact you have to just stand there waiting whereas before with the daycare you could go and do something else in the game while waiting, which was especially great with the Wild Area in SwSh. They’ve got the base foundations down and made a game that’s more fun than Pokémon has been in absolutely YEARS which I’m thrilled with. A lot of stuff that was kind of off in SwSh (bland characters, long tedious raids, lack of story) they’ve really improved on, the Raids are much more fun being faster paced.

Level scaling is the main issue for me, I think it would be cool if you really could do the game in any order and it all scaled accordingly. I worry there won’t be much replay value as there’s a lot of doing the tasks and kind of pushing you through the story, which is great when getting to know gym leaders and has fleshed out the world a lot more, but when I do my Scarlet play through as a Nuzlocke (I usually do on my second version), I feel like that might be tedious when it’s something you’ve just gone through. With level scaling you could get essentially a different game each time as teams would be slightly different etc, but the base idea of these different paths and variety of gameplay is something they’ve really nailed.

+Quote this post
lewistgreen
post 20th November 2022, 11:52 AM
Post #51
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Pronouns: he/him
User: 19,585

I'm a little behind but i've been playing for 2 hours and not even made it to the school! laugh.gif there's just so much to explore. Minor bugs aside, I'm really enjoying this

I've caught a lot but staying in my party is Sprigatito, Fletchling, Wiglett and Happiny

+Quote this post
Aaron.
post 21st November 2022, 04:23 PM
Post #52
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

I have come to the realization that 'Badges' under the Trainer Card have nothing to do with the Gyms (there are Titan and Gym badges, obviously). I am at 9 now. I think the most frustrating part for me right now is I do have 9 'Badges', my Pokemon are level 45-55 and I have no access to Ultra Balls. So frustrating in these caves with all these awesome Pokemon and it takes me about 30 minutes to catch one (omg the amount of REST I have seen this game). I need to find some Quick Balls STAT.

Although I get the impression you pretty much choose your own path on where to go in the game, I've clearly made a wrong turn very early in the game and moved into places I shouldn't have been. For the most part I wasn't under levelled but there definitely were a few areas I struggled with. It was odd having the Gym Leaders referencing themselves being 2nd or 3rd or 4th Gyms when that wasn't the order I completed them in.

I'm usually pretty self sufficient, I like finding my way around - but making my way to Alfornada was the most frustrating experience I've had with a Pokemon Game laugh.gif I'm finding it difficult to read the maps, what is Grass, Path, Ledge, Mountain ect. I still don't have Climb. I attempted first to go the Cabo Poco route via the Water and up through the cave, but I couldn't figure that out. I tried the West Province (Area One) (which was technically correct) but I tried to go via the Cave which wasn't the right route. HOW WAS I EVER SUPPOSED TO KNOW I WAS SUPPOSED TO FLY DOWN AND GO BACK UP. This however was a good frustration - it's a layer of difficulty that has been missing in a lot of the Pokemon Games recently.

I did take a break from the mainline game, I had a friend start on Saturday so we spent a lot of time doing Raids together, trading Pokemon around.

On a quick glance of my Map, I still have: Titan Badge (including Casseroya Lake), the Star Badge (including North Province Area Three), Gym Badge Ghost (including the Mountain), Medali Gym (Including West Province Area Three), Star Badge Fighting (North Province Area One and Two), East Province Area Three (Including Zapapico and the Steel Titan Badge), Levincia. So wow, yeah, I still have a lot left to do.

My team right now:
Quaquaval (Cuddly Nuggs) Tera Type: Water - Level 46
Pawmot (Sparky Bear) Tera Type: Electric - Level 48
Gimmsnarl (Hairy Boi) Tera Type: Steel - Level 49
Garganacl (Clip Clop) Tera Type: Ghost - Level 50
Flamigo (Twinkly) Tera Type: Fighting - Level 50
Azumarril (Bouncy Ball) Tera Type: Ground - Level 53

I’m in need of a Fire Type badly, I’m thinking of ditching Pawmot for Salazzle because I have a ton of great Fire and Poison TMs.
But yeah, wow. Blown away by this game. I never thought we would ever get a Pokemon game this, so complex and open but not too much of a deviation away from the true essence of Pokemon. I'm so used to completing the game in its entierty usually in the first 2-3 days of its release.
I couldn't even imagine what a DLC would look like for this game. It would be absolutely massive.

This post has been edited by Aaron.: 21st November 2022, 04:28 PM

+Quote this post
Liаm
post 21st November 2022, 06:56 PM
Post #53
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!

I totally agree about the map! Sometimes I’ve kind of just cheesed and managed to jump somewhere or glide down towards where I need to be laugh.gif But that’s part of the fun so it’s not totally a negative, I agree that it’s actually a fun kind of frustration having to actually figure things out, Pokemon has held our hands far too much since almost forever so this is actually refreshing. I used a guide for the order of stuff since I didn’t want to be overleveled for anything, I put a soft level cap on myself which has helped me enjoy the challenge, along with the game being a bit tougher anyway by design.

+Quote this post
Aaron.
post 22nd November 2022, 03:33 AM
Post #54
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

It probably doesn’t help that every time I visit a new area or route, I walk and turn off Koraidon. I don’t want to miss anything, a lot of really good items hidden around.

I just got Climb so just rushed to complete the task to get Ceruledge and somewhat finalize my team for now.
Now I’m stuck between completing the mainline story OR jumping all around collecting all the items I can and different Pokémon. I think I’m going to do the latter.

Plus. All the raids. Such a great dilemma to have.

+Quote this post
Liаm
post 22nd November 2022, 10:55 AM
Post #55
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!

I’ve now got the other 2 starters from my friend *.* Kinda wanna grind them up for my Champion team but I like what I have.

Also I would DIE for Maushold, I think it’s my gen 9 fave laugh.gif

+Quote this post
J00prstar
post 22nd November 2022, 06:18 PM
Post #56
Group icon
there's nothing straight about plump Elvis
Pronouns: they/any
User: 22,895

Maushold freaks me out!

+Quote this post
Aaron.
post 22nd November 2022, 11:25 PM
Post #57
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

I got my first shiny of this Generation last night - Mudbray! I’ve used Mudbray/Mudsdale a lot in the past, I think even in my last SwSh playthru. Great Pokémon!

Here’s my team at the moment:

Ceruledge (White Heat) - Tera Type: Fire - Level 62
Mudsdale (Chestnut) *SHINY* - Tera Type: Ground - Level 62
Garganacl (Clip Clop) - Tera Type: Ghost - Level 64
Flamigo (Twinksly) - Tera Tye: Fighting - Level 64
Azumarill (Bouncy Ball) - Tera Type: Ground - Level 62
Fligibax Egg

This post has been edited by Aaron.: 23rd November 2022, 10:39 PM

+Quote this post
Liаm
post 23rd November 2022, 02:22 AM
Post #58
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!

Tinkaton is my true fave, she’s been my MVP since about the 4th gym now and slain the whole time, finished the main story now!! She’s absolutely c**t and I stan it, I think she’s in probably my top 5 ever now. The lower than expected base Attack worried me when everything leaked, but the typing is killer and she’s come in clutch a lot. Competitive wise she’s a great special tank and stallbreaker with Tera Blast Electric for the likes of Toxapex and her sworn nemesis Corviknight laugh.gif Given her Pokédex entry there’s something satisfying about finishing a Corviknight who’d otherwise wall her without an Electric or Fire Tera.

Final team was Tinkaton, Maushold, Farigiraf and the three starters. Fairly tough endgame and I think now I’ve finished, I’d say overall this is the best and most engaging story Pokémon has ever done, and that’s mainly down to the strength of characters and the relationships between them and you, it actually feels like the interactions and adventures meant something, except I have zero time for Penny, annoying af laugh.gif. Even when things were obviously headed a certain way, it felt satisfying to reach them, and I genuinely enjoyed all of the three paths in different ways.

+Quote this post
Cowboy Cody
post 23rd November 2022, 09:14 PM
Post #59
Group icon
new hair, new tee, new Levii’s Jeans
User: 21,308

Haven’t done any raid dens since I literally started playing last night but I love the open feel of the story, it’s one of the reasons I got lost in playing Legends Arceus which I appreciate wub.gif my tentative team so far (will probably be rotational NCT U style like before):

Houndour (Starfire)
Fletchling (Jason Todd)
Sprigatito (Oliver Queen)
Mareep (Black Lightning)
Ralts (Jimmy Olsen)
Vivillon (Nightwing)

went with a DC Comics/Arrowverse theme to follow up with Marvel/MCU on Legends Arceus tongue.gif

+Quote this post
JSG
post 24th November 2022, 02:10 PM
Post #60
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 18,473

I'm getting Pokémon Violet for Christmas but I was reading today that The Pokémon Co. And Nintendo have announced a new record for sales.
4.5 million in Japan in 3 days which is the highest opening ever for a game in Japan and over 10 million worldwide which again is a record for an exclusive game on console.
I'm excited to see what the hype is about.
What makes this all the more amazing is that three Launch record have been broken in Japan by Nintendo since 2020 with Animal Crossing, then Splatoon 3 6 weeks ago and now Pokémon Scarlet & Violet clap.gif clap.gif clap.gif

+Quote this post

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 27th April 2024, 01:03 PM