BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Constitutional referendum in Italy
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
T83:Y96
post Sep 10 2016, 11:30 AM
Post #1
Group icon
My mother said, to get things done, you better not mess with Maj
User: 21,319
Do you approve the constitutional bill concerning the dispositions to overcome the perfect bicameralism, the reduction of the number of members of the Parliament, the restraint of the institutions' operating costs, the abolition of CNEL and the revision of Titolo V of the 2nd part of the Constitution, which was approved by the Parliament and published on the Gazzetta Ufficiale n. 88, on April 15, 2016?

Si or No. At some point, probably in the next two months, Italians will go to the ballot to answer this question in a referendum.

The current Italian Prime Minister, Matteo Renzi, is a proponent for the Yes campaign, Basta Un Si, claiming it will improve the poor government stability of the country. Opposition parties, such as Five Star Movement and Lega Nord, oppose the bill.

Proving he is a complete idiot, Renzi has done what no sensible human being would ever think of by promising to resign as Prime Minister and leave politics entirely should the No campaign win. And if he does resign, a presidential election will follow, potentially bringing the populist Eurospectic party Five Star Movement into power. This is a party which is part of the Europe of Freedom and Direct Democracy, alongside UKIP.

So, what do you think? Should the bill pass? Which result are you hoping for? Should this have ever gone to a referendum? Discuss.

This post has been edited by Taylor Jago: Sep 10 2016, 02:01 PM
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Brett-Butler
post Sep 10 2016, 01:37 PM
Post #2
Group icon
Howdy, disco citizens
User: 10,455
I didn't think that Five Star Movement was a far-right movement. Populist and Eurosceptic I understand, but they seem keen on direct democracy ie the party decides by e-polls of its membership what policies to vote for. Perhaps you could explain in more detail how exactly the party is on the "Far-right"?

As for the main question itself, I don't understand the Italian democratic system enough to make a comment on it, so I'd have to do more research before I could decide whether I favour it or not.

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post Sep 10 2016, 01:55 PM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,272
The Five Star Movement are Euroscpetic in the true sense of the word. They do not advocate Italy leaving the EU, but they do adopt a more sceptical attitude towards its institutions than most mainstream Italian parties.

+Quote this post
T83:Y96
post Sep 10 2016, 02:39 PM
Post #4
Group icon
My mother said, to get things done, you better not mess with Maj
User: 21,319
QUOTE(Brett-Butler @ Sep 10 2016, 01:37 PM) *
I didn't think that Five Star Movement was a far-right movement. Populist and Eurosceptic I understand, but they seem keen on direct democracy ie the party decides by e-polls of its membership what policies to vote for. Perhaps you could explain in more detail how exactly the party is on the "Far-right"?

As for the main question itself, I don't understand the Italian democratic system enough to make a comment on it, so I'd have to do more research before I could decide whether I favour it or not.

Well, one of their deputies once shouted boia chi molla! in Parliament (a famous motto from the Fascist era). Also, when Corrado Auguas (a famous Italian journalist) criticized the movement for the violence they'd used in a brawl with three other parties, a militant activist of the movement uploaded photos of him burning books published by Auguas, saying he'd "offended the movement". More recently, their leader Beppe Grillo said Sadiq Khan would "blow himself up in front of Westminster".

I'd say they're a big tent party, having done more research, but some of their prominent members are definitely far-right.

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 04:08 PM