BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
9 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Films You Have Watched In 2017!, List & Discuss Any Film You Have Watched Here In 2017!
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
cynthiamyra
post 24th March 2017, 06:53 AM
Post #41
Group icon
New Entry
User: 27,712

The Jungle book is my favorite movie
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Josh!
post 28th March 2017, 08:09 AM
Post #42
Group icon
c:
User: 20,692

Moulin Rouge! (2001) - I did enjoy this but generally I think I prefer original musicals rather than using existing classics (the last thing I really wanted to see was Jim Broadbent wearing a ginger moustache whilst absolutely butchering Madonna's 'Like a Virgin'...). I only really liked the love story side to things between Satine and Christian which is a lovely little story but the rest of the side characters are all a bit over-the-top and annoying imo (Jim Broadbent, Richard Roxburgh, John Leguizamo). I was a bit disappointed because I know it's such a classic and I only really enjoyed one of the narratives. I didn't have a clue what was even going on for the first 20 minutes either laugh.gif

Florence Foster Jenkins (2016) - This was a re-watch as I saw it in cinemas last year and quite enjoyed it back then too, it is a little silly but the more emotional moments REALLY get to you fall in love with the character of Florence, I was tearing up when they all start laughing at her in the middle of her Carnegie Hall performance sad.gif Whilst I agree that Meryl Streep's inclusion in the Best Actress line-up was a bit erroneous as there were far better female performances this year, Hugh Grant really should have been nominated for supporting actor at least, can't believe he hit all the precursors and ended up missing out sad.gif Simon Helberg still annoyed me on re-watch though laugh.gif

Kinsey (2004) - I didn't really know much about this going in apart from a little synopsis on the information button on Sky but I ended up loving it, I found the subject matter really interesting. There aren't (m)any (?) movies on this sort of topic and I found it really eye-opening, both the interviews and Kinsey's personal life and unsure sexuality as well as his professional careeer and lectures were all so interesting and he was portrayed excellently by Liam Neeson, you really believe that you can open up to him and you listen to his every word when he's on screen. Laura Linney was fabulous too so I was pleased to see that she got an Oscar nomination for this, the crying scene after she's told her husband had an affair was really well done.

Bridget Jones's Diary (2001) - I saw the third film last year and absolutely loved it so thought it was probably about time that I caught up to see what I was missing on and this was loads of fun too. Renée Zellweger is perfect for the lead role, she has fantastic comedic timing and I couldn't think of two better male leads than Hugh Grant and Colin Firth, I loved their rivalry and eventual bust-up laugh.gif My favourite moments were probably the blue soup and answering the phone with 'Bridget Jones, wanton sex goddess, with a very bad man between her thighs... Mum... Hi.' laugh.gif

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post 29th March 2017, 12:24 AM
Post #43
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.
User: 20,947

Watched Good People starring James Franco & Kate Hudson and it was SO good and way better than I was expecting!! Really thrilling and interesting and I loved James and Kate as usual! (Kate is so underrated, she rly should be an Oscar winner and still a massive star today sad.gif ). Wish this wasn't dumped on release and got better reviews as it is grey! It's only on Netflix for one or two more days I think if you are interested in watching it!!

+Quote this post
Mack.
post 29th March 2017, 12:37 PM
Post #44
Group icon
It's still will be the return of the Mack 4eva
User: 12,915

Dumb And Dumberer: When Harry Met Lloyd- Not very enjoyable, Only memorable for the toilet chocolate scene and at the end with Harry getting run over and the rant from the dad. A silly prequel which should be direct-to-DVD.

+Quote this post
Regina
post 29th March 2017, 12:39 PM
Post #45
Group icon
Raining Shitter
User: 5,572

QUOTE(UltraGreenLight @ Mar 29 2017, 01:24 AM) *
Watched Good People starring James Franco & Kate Hudson and it was SO good and way better than I was expecting!! Really thrilling and interesting and I loved James and Kate as usual! (Kate is so underrated, she rly should be an Oscar winner and still a massive star today sad.gif ). Wish this wasn't dumped on release and got better reviews as it is grey! It's only on Netflix for one or two more days I think if you are interested in watching it!!

I loved this movie so much.

+Quote this post
DalekTurret32
post 29th March 2017, 07:13 PM
Post #46
Group icon
FIVE YEARS OF THE TURRET 15-20
User: 21,666

QUOTE(Mack @ Mar 29 2017, 01:37 PM) *
Dumb And Dumberer: When Harry Met Lloyd- Not very enjoyable, Only memorable for the toilet chocolate scene and at the end with Harry getting run over and the rant from the dad. A silly prequel which should be direct-to-DVD.

I LOL'd at Bob Saget's rant in this movie (especially his reaction to the melted chocolate all over the bathroom). "He sh*t everywhere! THERE'S SH*T EVERYWHERE!!! DAMMIT!!! THERE'S SH*T ON THE WINDOWS!!!! OH MY GOD, MY HOUSE IS FULL OF SH*T!!!! HE SH*T EVERYWHERE!!!!! LOOK WHAT HE DID, HE SH*T ALL OVER THE WALLS!!!!!!"

The original D&D from 1994 is a comedy classic, but this sequel... Meh!

+Quote this post
Cassidy
post 30th March 2017, 07:36 PM
Post #47
Group icon
i'm massive
User: 41

Thus far in the yr 2017 (pls ignore Netflix fodder and random romcom en français)

01 Das Boot
02 Once Upon a Time in America
03 About Last Night
04 Blind Date
05 Manchester by the Sea
06 La La Land
07 Drive
08 Hacksaw Ridge
09 The Big Lebowski
10 Lion
11 Brotherhood

This post has been edited by Cassidy: 12th April 2017, 02:42 AM

+Quote this post
Mack.
post 31st March 2017, 10:37 PM
Post #48
Group icon
It's still will be the return of the Mack 4eva
User: 12,915

Deepwater Horizon- Still a very powerful film to see. Underrated film from last year in my opinion.

+Quote this post
Josh!
post 1st April 2017, 09:42 PM
Post #49
Group icon
c:

Catching up even more older Oscars stuff ~

Dreamgirls (2006) - I love a good musical so I was always expecting to like this but it was really good and I loved reading up on how it was based on The Supremes afterwards too. Jennifer Hudson was definitely the cast highlight, her big song was fantastic and you can see why she won for that alone but I thought Beyoncé surprisingly held her own too! She did a good job of portraying a more meek character in the first half and such a confident leading lady in the second and of course, 'Listen' is a great musical moment too. I was expecting a little more from Eddie Murphy though considering he won a couple of the awards that year.

Beginners (2010) - Quite enjoyed this too, it wasn't the most exciting watch really but it was very charming and all the characters were incredibly lovable, the little dog was such a good addition to the cast too !! wub.gif Both Christopher Plummer and Ewan McGregor were the cast highlights for me, it's a shame how much the latter has been overlooked by the Oscars academy sad.gif

Misery (1990) - I'd put off seeing this for a while because I don't like horror but I'm pretty cool as long as there aren't ghosts and things so I loved this, I was still terrified/on the edge of my seat for the whole thing though! Kathy Bates was spectacular as Annie Wilkes, never has so much dread come over me as when he finds the memory book, my jaw was also wide open when she hammered his ankles on the plank x_x This is probably one of my favourite films I've seen in a long while, was massively thrilling!

The Pursuit of Happyness (2006) - Another charming little story, it really gets you wrapped up in the characters and you're massively rooting for Will Smith by the end to get things back on track. Talking of Will Smith, he was really great in this, especially when he finally gets some good news at the end and I thought Jaden Smith was really sweet in this too, he had some great one liners laugh.gif It really got me when they had to sleep in the toilet though, I was welling up a bit then :'(

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post 1st April 2017, 09:59 PM
Post #50
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.

Dreamgirls is INCREDIBLE yassss Josh <3 <3

+Quote this post
Josh!
post 1st April 2017, 10:25 PM
Post #51
Group icon
c:

QUOTE(Ultra💚🚦🐱 @ Apr 1 2017, 10:59 PM) *
Dreamgirls is INCREDIBLE yassss Josh <3 <3

Yes, it was! I was dying at how fierce Bey and JHud were too, I was just internally screaming 'yassssss' at every take-down and personal jab during "It's All Over" laugh.gif

+Quote this post
DalekTurret32
post 2nd April 2017, 12:37 AM
Post #52
Group icon
FIVE YEARS OF THE TURRET 15-20
User: 21,666

Updated films in bold
  1. Igner Bergman's The Magic Flute
  2. Amadeus
  3. Slumdog Millionaire
  4. World's End
  5. The LEGO Batman Movie
  6. The Big Lebowski
  7. Inside Out (Re-Watch)
  8. Beethoven's 2nd
  9. The 100-Year Old Man Who Climbed Out Of The Window And Disappeared

It was nice revisiting Inside Out in my school's film club (Such an amazing film).
Beethoven's 2nd was also pretty good [really enjoyed the first one as well]
As for Hundred Year Old Man, it was such a good film. Hilarious and chaotic along with some outstanding cinematography.

+Quote this post
Regina
post 2nd April 2017, 07:45 PM
Post #53
Group icon
Raining Shitter
User: 5,572

Nine Lives

Oh Jennifer sad.gif I get she wants to do more family focussed movies but why can't she bang out another Odd Life of Timothy Green? This was painful at times.
Jen was obv amazing though and Robbie Amell is hot as balls.

+Quote this post
Velvet Gold
post 4th April 2017, 04:10 PM
Post #54
Group icon
New Entry
User: 28,559

Factory Girl (2006)

Oh, dear. Where to begin? Solid stinking Warhol hagiography. Sienna Miller puts in an excellent performance as Edie Sedgwick, but Guy Pearce's Warhol is flat and unconvincing. My problems with this one lie largely with its romanticism. I know it's a dramatisation, not a documentary, but I winced at every one of its clattering hints that Warhol was in love with Sedgwick. So many important Factory figures get only the tiniest of nods - I think I counted two appearances of Nico and one of Lou Reed - and others don't get a mention at all. Where's Candy Darling? It felt terribly shallow and saccharine. 3/5, and that three is all for Miller's acting and wardrobe.

+Quote this post
Josh!
post 4th April 2017, 08:56 PM
Post #55
Group icon
c:

Big (1988) - I can see why this is a classic comedy nowadays, it was really funny and could be a great double feature with '13 Going on 30' imo laugh.gif It's funny how this is so beloved though, it would probably never even be allowed to be made in Hollywood now with the child relationship plot laugh.gif It had some really funny moments though (omg at him saying "i'm on top" when referring to going to bed together laugh.gif) and Tom Hanks was really good in the lead role, a perfect 'big kid' laugh.gif

The End of the Affair (1999) - Totally got wrapped up in this love story, I love how it slowly unfolds so that you realise the reason she left him and I thought the idea of hiring a detective was quite interesting too. Both leads were fantastic too, a shame it didn't manage so many Oscar nominations like it did at the BAFTAs, definitely deserved more than just the one (although Julianne was definitely the highlight here!)

Beasts of the Southern Wild (2012) - I wasn't really a huge fan of this, not much seemed to really happen in the plot and it was all rather un-exciting in my opinion (I had a similar opinion on Captain Fantastic which itself is quite similar to this movie too). Quvenzhané Wallis was decent and her crying scene at the end got me but she did just sort of stare for the majority of the movie, Dwight Henry seemed to carry a lot of the scenes imo so it's a shame he was overlooked.

+Quote this post
awardinary
post 4th April 2017, 09:14 PM
Post #56
Group icon
Here to play, here to stay
Pronouns: he/him
User: 21,587

QUOTE(awardinary™ @ Jan 2 2017, 03:15 AM) *
Great idea, I'll try and keep mine updated too! biggrin.gif

January 1st – Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes
January 2nd – Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes
January 19th – The Pursuit Of Happyness
February 4th – Road To Perdition
February 6th – The Goonies
February 11th – The Martian
March 1st – Forgetting Sarah Marshall
March 12th – Source Code
March 15th – Kong – Skull Island
March 29th – Pacific Rim
April 1st – Lucy
April 4th – Johnny English

My updated list. smile.gif

+Quote this post
Josh!
post 4th April 2017, 09:30 PM
Post #57
Group icon
c:

QUOTE(award♀nary @ Apr 4 2017, 10:14 PM) *
My updated list. smile.gif

What did you think of Source Code? I recorded it a while back (mainly for Jake Gyllenhaal laugh.gif) but still haven't got around to seeing it yet.

+Quote this post
awardinary
post 4th April 2017, 09:46 PM
Post #58
Group icon
Here to play, here to stay
Pronouns: he/him
User: 21,587

QUOTE(J♀sh @ Apr 4 2017, 10:30 PM) *
What did you think of Source Code? I recorded it a while back (mainly for Jake Gyllenhaal laugh.gif) but still haven't got around to seeing it yet.

Yeah I'd seen it one before, but I forgot what I thought of it so I watched it again. laugh.gif

It's cleverly done, and it's a very "Groundhog Day" picture where each repeated scene you learn an extra detail to help you solve the puzzle.

+Quote this post
Josh!
post 6th April 2017, 08:55 AM
Post #59
Group icon
c:

QUOTE(award♀nary @ Apr 4 2017, 10:46 PM) *
Yeah I'd seen it one before, but I forgot what I thought of it so I watched it again. laugh.gif

It's cleverly done, and it's a very "Groundhog Day" picture where each repeated scene you learn an extra detail to help you solve the puzzle.

I'll have to get around to watching it some time soon, it sounds pretty interesting!

I think this is me done for period dramas about famous historical figures for a little while, they're not the most interesting really laugh.gif

Elizabeth (1998) - I did quite like this but I had to have a little break in the middle because I was getting bored laugh.gif Cate Blanchett was fantastic as Elizabeth, it's weird to think she's not British after watching this and I really liked Joseph Fiennes a lot too, the bit where she keeps him alive was sassy af laugh.gif There were some good moments and I especially liked the end when she became the virgin queen with the white paint etc. However, I was a little disappointed to read that a lot of the information was changed/altered and actually made-up in some parts for the sake of drama sad.gif

Lincoln (2012) - Now this was just really dull, I try to never turn a film off once I've started it but I did have to take like five breaks and I was dreading going back to it laugh.gif It was just sooo boring, way too many monologues and it was quite hard to follow as well with all the different characters and use of posh language laugh.gif I did think the acting was great though, of course. Daniel Day-Lewis was the highlight and it's not hard to see why he won the Oscar but I really liked Sally Field too, she did the emotional scenes very well. I also liked the very revealing shot at the end with Tommy Lee Jones getting into bed with his wife, that was very touching.

The Truman Show (1998) - These are the sorts of movies that I REALLY love and I thought it was excellent, it was so intelligent with what it reveals to the audience. I loved how Truman sees his father and it leaves the audience confused at first but slowly everything begins to make more sense. There were just so many clever moments and I'm sure there's even more little touches that make more sense on future viewings. Ed Harris was really good too, although Jim Carrey was definitely the highlight for me.

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post 6th April 2017, 09:02 AM
Post #60
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.

Moonlight (Re-Watch)/Get Out/Beauty & The Beast - will comment on their respective threads later!

Bad Neighbors 2 - LOVED this! Was basically a rehash of the 1st one but so much fun & I love the cast *.*

Don't Breathe - This was also quite fabulous! Scary and I rly couldn't see some of the twists coming!

Passengers (2008) - The last 10 minutes made up for the rest of the film in which I was getting a bit bored! Anne Hathaway slayed though!

+Quote this post

9 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 24th April 2024, 12:56 AM