BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Upcoming Releases Preview: 23rd January, A Most Violent Ex-Mortdecai Gambler
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
UltraCruelSummer
post 20th January 2015, 09:59 PM
Post #1
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.
User: 20,947

So another new feature coming to the movies forum is that there will be a preview each week ahead of the films coming out on that weekend. I hope you enjoy this and this will give you information on certificate, plot, reviews, actors, directors, box office potential and more. You can also discuss which of these you want to see and are interested in and also recommend if you have seen any of them [and none of this apart from plot is copied and pasted] smile.gif

Ex-Machina
Release Date: Wednesday 21st January
How Big Is The Release: Saturation
Certificate: 15
Director: Alex Garland [first film directed, wrote 28 Days Later, Never Let Me Go and Dredd]
Cast: Domhnall Gleeson [About Time, Star Wars 7], Alicia Vikander [Anna Karenina, A Royal Affair, 1 of about 500 movies starring her this year], Oscar Isaac [Inside Llewyn Davis, Star Wars 7]
Reviews: 100% from 11 reviews
Plot: When Caleb wins a competition to spend a week in a mountain retreat, he soon discovers he is part of a ground-breaking experiment involving a beautiful female robot.
Notable Award Nominations So Far: No Award Nominations
Detail: This is Alex Garland's directional debut. This stars future Star Wars stars Domhnall Gleeson and Oscar Isaac along with Alicia Vikander who is in loads of films this year. The film has been getting great reviews and looks really interesting.

UK Box Office Potential: Should do quite well. £650k 5 day will be my prediction

The Gambler
Release Date: 23rd January
Director: Rupert Wyatt [Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes, The Escapist]
Cast: Mark Wahlberg [The Departed, The Happening, Boogie Nights], John Goodman [Argo, The Artist], Brie Larson [Short Term 12, 21 Jump Street], Jessica Lange [Blue Sky, Big Fish, American Horror Story]
Reviews: 47% from 99 reviews
Plot: English professor and high-stakes gambler, Jim Bennett, is a natural born risk taker, but goes a step too far when he crosses a loan shark, putting his life in jeopardy.
Notable Award Nominations So Far: Outstanding Supporting Actor, Motion Picture for Michael Kenneth Williams at the Black Reel Awards

UK Box Office Potential: I can see this bombing quite badly. £300k opening weekend

Mortdecai:RECOMMENDATION OF THE WEEK
Certificate: 12A
Director: David Koepp [Ghost Town, Secret Window, Premium Rush]
Cast: Johnny Depp [Pirates Of The Caribbean, Alice In Wonderland], Gwyneth Paltrow [Shakespeare In Love, Iron Man 1/2/3, Consciously Uncoupling from chris martin], Ewan McGregor [Moulin Rouge, Trainspotting, Star Wars], Olivia Munn [Iron Man 2, Deliver Us From Evil], Paul Bettany [A Beautiful Mind, Iron Man 1/2/3, Legion]
Reviews: No Reviews Yet, Not being screened to critics
Plot: Wealthy art dealer Charlie Mortdecai is an affable chap with an eye for the ladies. When he’s called upon to help recover a stolen painting, which may hold the key to some hidden Nazi gold, the loveable rogue soon finds himself out of his depth.
Notable Award Nominations So Far: None. Though maybe watch out for this being nominated for a few awards next year, at the razzies.
Detail: Mortdecai is Johnny Depp's latest film and hopes to turn around his recent box office struggles such as transcendence but this is looking unlikely. Anyway it is my recommendation of the week as I still really like Johnny Depp and looks like it can be pretty fun. Most of this cast have worked together before as Johnny has worked with David. Gwyneth has worked with Olivia and Paul and I am sure I could find a couple more film links. The first trailer for the film was released on August 12, attached to The Expendables 3. The second trailer was released on November 12 and was attached to Dumb and Dumber To, The Hunger Games: Mockingjay – Part 1, Horrible Bosses 2, Top Five, and The Gambler while Lionsgate are planning to make a franchise of this movie, something that will very unlikely happen.

UK Box Office Potential: I have no clue how this will do. I will go out on a limb and guess £700k. It could be as low as £300k and as high as £1M.

A Most Violent Year
Director: J.C. Chandor [All Is Lost, Margin Call]
Cast: Oscar Isaac [Inside Llewyn Davis, Star Wars 7, Ex-Machina], Jessica Chastain [Zero Dark Thirty, The Help, Interstellar], David Oyelowo [Selma, The Butler]
Reviews: 90% from 100 reviews
Plot: An immigrant family struggle to expand their business in a crime-ridden and corrupt New York City in 1981 – statistically one of the city’s most violent years in history.
Notable Award Nominations So Far: 39 nominations. Jessica Chastain has received a lot of nominations for best supporting actress and was nominated for supporting actress at the Golden Globes.
Detail: Javier Bardem was originally set to play Isaac's role and this is one of 2 films starring Oscar Isaac released this week. The film had its world premiere at the AFI Fest on November 6, 2014 at the Dolby Theatre in Hollywood and the score was done by Alex Ebert. The film was surprisingly completely snubbed at this years Oscars.

UK Box Office Potential: This should hold well and have great midweeks but I can see this disappointing on Opening Weekend. £350k prediction.

QUICK AMERICAN 23RD JANUARY LOOK AHEAD
This week 3 films are being released which will all bomb and will all very likely have absolutely horrible reviews.
Mortdecai- See information above. Will bomb in America. 8M OW
Strange Magic- An animation produced by George Lucas. Will also bomb in America. 6M OW
The Boy Next Door- Jennifer Lopez thriller movie. Continuing this trend, will bomb in America. 10M OW

REVEWING LAST WEEKS BOX OFFICE PREDICTIONS
UK
American Sniper- Prediction: £1.2M, Actual: £2.5M
Wild- Prediction: 700,000, Actual: £524,991
Whiplash- Prediction: 600,000, Actual: £580,000
Testament Of Youth- Prediction: £750,000, Actual: £417,269
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Theonix
post 20th January 2015, 10:34 PM
Post #2
Group icon
BUY Phoenix on Amazon / STREAM Phoenix on Spotify
User: 8,661

Ex-Machina aka Her... Why do film studios even bother nowadays?!

+Quote this post
J❄️hq
post 23rd January 2015, 10:05 PM
Post #3
Group icon
my anxiety attacks
Pronouns: he/him
User: 8,674

The releases look nowhere near as exciting this week. No interest in The Gambler or Mortdecai which looks pretty cringe to me from the trailer and ads. The reviews look terrible too.

Ex-Machina doesn't look *great* from the trailer imo but I do like Domhnall Gleeson and I'm surprised at how good the reviews have been so far so will probably give it a shot. Still have American Sniper to see from the last batch of releases.

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 25th April 2024, 04:32 PM