BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Artist News
11 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Rihanna - The Singles Rate [RESULTS], FULL RESULTS REVEALED (+ SPOTIFY PLAYLIST)
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Nina West
post 18th August 2021, 07:40 PM
Post #21
Group icon
We're all Glitter and Tears in the Moonlight...
User: 19,846
Here's a quick re-cap of the results so far - 51-65

51. Right Now (ft David Guetta) - 5.807
52. Loyalty (ft Kendrick Lamar) - 5.711
53. Rockstar 101 (ft Slash) - 5.48
54. Break It Off (ft Sean Paul) - 5.403
55. If I Never See Your Face Again (ft Maroon 5) - 5.384
56. Jump - 5.346
57. Believe It (ft PartyNextDoor) - 5.211
58. Sledgehammer - 5.134
59. We Ride - 5.115
60. Lemon (ft N.E.R.D.) - 5.019
61. Towards The Sun - 4.942
62. Loveeeeeee Song (ft Future) - 4.634
63. Selfish (ft Future) - 4.4
64. Birthday Cake (ft Chris Brown) - 4.211
65. Nothing Is Promised (ft Mike Will Made It) - 4.06

Wow 15 has dropped so far with another 50 to go. Thanks for all the feedback guys & do u guys like my commentaries so far. The next set of results will be in 4's.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
One_For_Sorrow
post 18th August 2021, 10:10 PM
Post #22
Group icon
---
User: 17,418
I like mall of #53-#59 minus Believe It.

Rockstar 101 whilst not one of my Rated R favourites is still a good track.

+Quote this post
George.keh
post 18th August 2021, 10:24 PM
Post #23
Group icon
#VoteGarden.Keh
User: 32,047
We Ride has a lovely bridge but the rest is really flat for me

+Quote this post
Nina West
post 19th August 2021, 01:28 AM
Post #24
Group icon
Chasing this American Dream

50. If It's Lovin' That You Want | 5.846 Highest Scores: 10: (ready for it, JackTheeStallion), Lowest Scores: 0: (Adelita)
49. FourFiveSeconds (ft Kanye West & Paul McCartney) | 5.865 Highest Scores: 11: (Tafty), 10: (Cremey), Lowest Scores: -1/0: (jakewild, Cameron, Tawdry Hepburn, Mike Sugafan)
48. You Da One | 5.903 Highest Scores: 10: (jakewild), Lowest Scores: -1/0: (Jord, Tawdry Hepburn)
47. American Oxygen | 5.923 Highest Scores: 10: (jakewild, Mike Sugafan, JSG, HausofWillow), Lowest Scores: 2/2.5: (Nina West, Cameron, PAJ, Tafty)

#50 is If It's Lovin' That You Want, released in August 2005 as the 2nd & final single from her debut album Music Of The Sun. It was written by Samuel Barnes, Scott La Rock, Makeba Riddick, Jean-Claude Oliver, Lawrence Parker, and produced by Poke & Tone. Upon release the song recieved mixed reviews & while it failed to match the commerical success of her debut, it still managed to attain moderate success worldwide with top 10 peaks in Ireland, Australia & New Zealand, top 20 peaks in UK, Netherlands, Romania & Switzerland, as well as top 40 peaks in Italy, Belgium, Germany, Austria & USA. A sequel to the song titled "If It's Lovin' That You Want – Part 2", which features rap vocals by Cory Gunz, was included as a bonus track on Rihanna's 2nd studio album 'A Girl Like Me'. Orginally another track from her debut album "Let Me" was due to follow this, but was scrapped in favour of new material & would end up as the b-side to her next single. To think that Rihanna was almost labelled a one-hit wonder after this didn't perform as wel as her debut, but thankfully all that would be squashed with what was to come around the next corner. This feels very low-key, especially for a follow up to a smash hit, yet still has a nice breezy catchy melody & fun tropical laid back grooves that would be an early indicator how she would soon balance hip-hop, pop, and her West Indian roots in a way that felt genuine and effortless. However her pitchiness on the song;s bridge feels that she still needed time to fully develop & the song needed a stronger hook to be more memorable. An okay effort nonetheless.

In at #49 is FourFiveSeconds, which got off to a really bad start at the beginning of this rate with multiple low scores, but thankfully managed to pick up some higher scores as the rate went on. The song features American rapper Kanye West & English musician Paul McCartney & was released as a stand-alone single in January 2015. This track led many to believe that not only would be it be the lead single for her then upcoming 8th studio album, but that the album would also be released that same year. However it wouldn't be released until the following year & this & the other tracks she released that year wouldn't make the final cut. Upon release the song received acclaim from music critics & became a huge commercial success by topping the charts in Australia, Denmark, Ireland, Luxembourg, New Zealand, and Sweden, as well as the top-three in Canada, France, Germany, and the UK. In the USA it reached a #4 peak, becoming her 26th top 10 hit there. For anyone who doubted that Rihanna could sing, then look no further than this beautiful stripped down folk-pop track, where the acoustic production really shows how stunning her vocals really are with no sign of auto-tune in sight (not that she ever needed it). This made for a really interesting comeback & shows that even after 10 years in the business Rihanna could still surprise us & show significant growth as an artist. However I do feel that this may have polarized some fans at first & the fact that despite being a monster hit, it didn't get included on her upcoming album, which was a shame (even if this wouldn't have fitted), but its still a great song that stands as one of her most interesting offerings to date.

Next up at #48 is You Da One, released in November 2011 as the 2nd single from her 6th studio album Talk That Talk & it was co-written by Rihanna with Ester Dean, Henry Walter, John Hill and Lukasz Gottwald. Production of the song was completed by Gottwald, under his production name Dr. Luke, and Cirkut. Kuk Harrell and Marcas Tovar. The songr recieved a postive critcial responce & it's chart performance was overshadowed by her previous monster smash "We Found Love", which was still gaining heavy airplay at the time, but this still managed moderate chart success by reaching top 10 oeaks in South Korea & New Zealand & attained top 20 peaks in several countries such as Canada, Hungary, Norway, Sweden., UK & USA. This is a sweet little mid-tempo bouncey number that embraces Caribbean rhythms, reggae, and pulsing house beats. However it's not hard to see why this was more or less ignored upon its original release, well ignoring the obvious reason (WFL), this simply just doesn't pop in the same way that said song did & its lyrics are way too generic to really stand out from the crowd. Not terrible by any means, its just kinda there, as a servicable radio friendly fodder.

At #47 is another of Rihanna's 2015 stand-alone releases American Oxygen, released in April of that year & was written by Alex da Kid, Candice Pillay, Sam Harris and Rihanna; Alex da Kid and Kanye West produced it. The song was written over the course of a year & was inspired by Bruce Springsteen's 1984 hit "Born in the USA". The song has patriotic lyrical content about a new America and the chasing of the American dream. Upon release the song acheived moderate success by hitting top 20 peaks in Sweden & Finland, as well as top 40 peaks in Denmark, Hungary, France, Norway, South Korea, Spain, Switzerland, Ireland & Germany. While managing minor dents at the lower ends of the charts in UK & USA. While I do get that Rihanna loves her country, however this sadly doesn't fully connect with me as the message of what's she's trying to deliver here feels a little too vague & lacks that extra edge in order to make the message more powerful & just floats above all that, dealing in concepts and ideals without ever giving voice to the people it seems to want to acknowledge.

+Quote this post
One_For_Sorrow
post 19th August 2021, 01:38 AM
Post #25
Group icon
---
No big losses for me here.

I expected FourFiveSeconds to place a fair bit higher so this is a bit of a shock.

If It's Lovin' That You Want and You Da One are ok songs but about where I'd put them.

Not a fan of American Oxygen.

+Quote this post
Bjork
post 19th August 2021, 10:28 AM
Post #26
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 22,665
surprised the M5 duet didn't end dead last, her worst by miles imho

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post 19th August 2021, 02:52 PM
Post #27
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51
'Rockstar 101' is so brilliant, but they really should not have tried making that a single.

'FourFiveSeconds' has ZERO redeeming qualities about it whatsoever. sick2.gif neither does 'You Da One'.

+Quote this post
Nina West
post 20th August 2021, 12:40 PM
Post #28
Group icon
You're trying to save me, stop holding your breath

46. Fly (ft Nicki Minaj) | 5.98 Highest Scores; 10: (Mike Sugafan), Lowest Scores: 0: (Dobbo)
45. Wait Your Turn | 6.211 Highest Scores: 10: (PAJ), Lowest Scores: 0: (Adelita)
44. Live Your Life (ft T.I.) | 6.576 Highest Scores: 9: (Jord, PAJ, Mike Sugafan, Tafty, Mack, JSG), Lowest Scores: 0: (Tawdry Hepburn, kath)
43. The Monster (ft Eminem) | 6.615 Highest Scores: 10: (Mack, JSG), Lowest Scores: 2: (Geogre.keh)

#46 is Fly, a song by rapper & singer Nicki Minaj with additional guest vocals by Rihanna. Released in August 2011 as the 8th & final single from her debut album Pink Friday. The track was written by Kevin Hissink, Will Jordan, J.R. Rotem, Clemm Rishad and Minaj herself, while production was helped by Rotem and Hissink. Upon release the song gained positive critical reviews & became a success worldwide with top 20 peaks in New Zealand, Ireland, UK, Australia & USA. This is a nice breezy & light bop, with a catchy chorus, that like a few of their tracks in both they're extensive discographies, feels rather forgotten, not surprising considering that this came out 10 years ago & was a mid-level hit at best, yet I find this low-key track quite refreshing, considering that it features two stars that love to be provocative and raunchy, but went with something more meaningful, nspirational & toned down, which was a nice surprise & this may not be the best example of what either artist is capable of, it's still decent.

#45 is Wait Your Turn, released in November 2009 as the 2nd international & 3rd overall single from her 4th studio album Rated R. After the long leaked online towards the end of October '09, it was used in a promotional video for her first televised interviews since the alleged assault on her by then-boyfriend Chris Brown. Upon release the song recieved a very mixed critical responce who noted the diverse change in musical direction, however the song wasn't a commercial success as it became her 2nd single since "We Ride" to miss the US Billboard top 100 by peaking at #110 on the Bubbling Under chart, but did manage to fare better elsewhere with a top 40 peak in Ireland, top 50 in the UK & minor dents in Australia & Italy. While this worked as a pre-album taster, I wouldn't call this a single though & actually surprised that this was classed as one (although to be honest it never really felt like it earned that status). The ominous marching beats over the opening chants does create an interesting new sound for her as Rihanna emerges over the dub-step beats with swagger, even if it is a generic number like this. Not an esstential track in her back catalogue by any means.

#44 is one of Rihanna's earliest non-album collaborations Live Your Life, a song by American rapper T.I. & released in September 2008 as the 7th single from his 6th studio album Paper Trails & samples and interpolates the 2004 song "Dragostea Din Tei" by O-Zone. The song's lyrics speak of T.I.'s rise to fame and optimism of the future. It also gives dedication to the American troops fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan. Upon release the song was a huge commercial success worldwide by topping the US Billboard charts, marking T.I.'s third number-one single, and Rihanna's fifth. The song also attained top 10 placements in twelve other countries, reaching the top 5 in Australia, Canada, the Netherlands, New Zealand and the United Kingdom. This was almost set for a top 40 placement on this countdown, but the last minute score of 0 caused it to slide to this position. Despite the well meaning lyrics & earnest rapping, I;ve always found this rather grating with the mixture of samples & robotic effects rather annoying & while I do commend the unlikely combination of R&B & Europop, this just comes across as a rather naff piece of fluff.

At #43 is The Monster, a song by American rapper Eminem that features a guest appearance by Rihanna. Released in October 2013 as the 4th single from his 8th studio albim The Marshall Mathers LP 2 & marks the 4th collaboration between both artists & 2nd released as a single following 2010's "Love The Way You Lie". The lyrics describe Rihanna coming to grips with her inner demons while Eminem ponders the negative effects of his fame. The song was written by Bebe Rexha, Jon Bellion, and AKS from Prosper, with production handled by Frequency. Bebe Rexha was dropped by the Island Def Jam label, but her background vocals were still left in the final version of the track. Upon release the song was met with postive reviews & was again a huge success worldwide by topping the charts in twelve countries including Australia, Canada, France, Ireland, New Zealand, Switzerland, the United Kingdom and the USA. Thought that this would have done better on here & whileIt's not nearly as powerful or affective as the previous partnership, but it's not supposed to be, as this is a more upbeat & less serious track, despite addressing a serious issue. Rihanna's icy vocals sounds great at the intro & chrous, while Eminem's mes in the verses, with his trademark style. Both artists have great chemistry together & along with some fun pop synths sprinklied into the prodiction, this is a decent number, even if it doesn't quite compare to their previous 2010 effort.

+Quote this post
vibe
post 20th August 2021, 02:58 PM
Post #29
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 11,763
Wait your turn and Your da one out 🤔

+Quote this post
JackTheeStallion
post 20th August 2021, 03:12 PM
Post #30
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 223
If It's Lovin That You Want deserves better sad.gif.

+Quote this post
k👠th
post 20th August 2021, 06:43 PM
Post #31
Group icon
baddest of them all
User: 6,764
You Da One is really underrated. Such a feel-good song wub.gif rap.gif

+Quote this post
One_For_Sorrow
post 20th August 2021, 10:16 PM
Post #32
Group icon
---
Wait Your Turn is fantastic! Deserved a top 40 placing.

+Quote this post
Bjork
post 21st August 2021, 06:53 AM
Post #33
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 22,665
surprised The Monster is out already

+Quote this post
JSG
post 21st August 2021, 07:52 AM
Post #34
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 18,473
Live Your Life missing the top 40 though sad.gif that is a shame. It's one of her best imo wub.gif

+Quote this post
One_For_Sorrow
post 21st August 2021, 08:09 AM
Post #35
Group icon
---
Yeah, The Monster and and Live Your Life missing the Top 40 are a shock for me.

+Quote this post
Nina West
post 21st August 2021, 11:33 AM
Post #36
Group icon
Who cares how you haters feel and I still got mo' money

42. California King Bed | 6.634 Highest Scores: 11: (Cameron), 10: (Tafty, JSG), Lowest Scores: 2: (dan::G)
41. Pour It Up | 6.711 Highest Scores: 11: (jakewild), 10: (Cremey, blacksquare), Lowest Scores: 1: (JSG)
40. Bitch Better Have My Money | 6.73 Highest Scores: 11: (Cremey, blacksquare), 10: (jakewild, Tafty, JSG), Lowest Scores: -1: (JackTheeStallion)

#42 is California King Bed, released in May 2011 as the 4th single from her 5th studio album Loud & was written and produced by Andrew Harr and Jermaine Jackson, of the American production duo The Runners, with Priscilla Renea and Alex Delicata. The song was chosen to be the next single through Twitter, when she asked her fans & narrowed the choices down to four songs, including this, "Man Down", "Cheers (Drink To That" & "Fading". Although "Man Down" was already selected, the releases were switched, with 'MD' being sent to rhythmic and urban radio stations in the United States on May 3, just before 'CKB' which was selected as the next international single. Upon release the song had an overall postive critical reception & became a commerical success by topping the charts in Poland & Slovakia & achieved the top-five in Australia, Austria, Czech Republic and Portugal, while also reaching the top-ten in Germany, New Zealand, Switzerland, UK, then top 40 everywhere else, including in the USA where it reached a #37 peak. After the 3 prevous up-tempo mammoth singles, Rihanna slows things down with this stunning ballad about the end of an relationship & it's a refreshing change of pace, as the beautiful arrangement shows more of her amazing vocals & then the electric guitars & drums add power as the chrous kicks in. Just a great song all-round & sometimes its nice when Rihanna shows her softer side.

#41 is Pour It Up, released in January 2013 as the 3rd overall single from her 7th studio album Unapologetic. It was first serviced to Urban radio ststions in the USA, before getting sent to contemporary hit radio in April of that same year, following its success on that format. The song was co-written by Rock City and co-written and produced by Michael Williams and co-produced by JBo. Upon release the song recieved mixed reviews, but became a success by reaching #19 on the US Billboard charts, but was less successful elsewhere by missing the top 40 everywhere else, with top 50 peaks in the UK & Canada, then minor peaks in Australia, Ireland, Czech Republic & France. Often described as an strip-club anthem & it's not hard to see why with it's eerie & cold production that gives it that sordid feel, along with cool minimal trap beats that further adds to the sleazy feel of the track & of course Rihanna's throaty lower register vocals, which sounds confidient & gives this song that extra edge. This really deserved better, instead of the messy worldwide release that it got, because after the album's first 2 singles, everything else kinda got slept on & that was a shame as there was definite potential for so much more from this era.

At the #40 spot is the last of Rihanna's 2015 stand-alone solo releases Bitch Better Have My Money, released in March 2015 & was written by Jamille Pierre, Bibi Bourelly, Rihanna, Travis Scott, Kanye West and WondaGurl and produced by Deputy, co-produced by West, together with additional production by Scott and WondaGurl. The track was a trap song that represents a notaable musical departure from the previous single 'FFS'. Upon release the song recieved polarizing reviews & became a success worldwide by reaching top 10 peaks in 8 countries including France, Switzerland & New Zealand, as well as top 20 peaks in 6 other countries including Australia, Canada & USA. After the music video dropped 3 months later the song did experience a re-surge on several charts worldwide. Out of the stand-alone releases from that year, this was probably the only one that could have fitted on her 8th studio album or at the very least we could have had a 'Greatest Hits' album with this & the other 2 songs on there as new tracks. Well anyway this is a great club anthem which shows Rihanna at her upmost badass with her brash & assertive vocals, simple yet effective catchy beats & production that crashes with urgency. It has been noted that this song has a deeper message where she’s allegedly addressing a former accountant who almost made her go bankrupt twice & what a way to tell him off with this all guns blazing bop.

+Quote this post
Nina West
post 21st August 2021, 11:38 AM
Post #37
Group icon
Time for another re-cap of the results 41-50

41. Pour It Up - 6.711
42. California King Bed - 6.634
43. The Monster (ft Eminem) - 6.615
44. Live Your Life (ft T.I.) - 6.576
45. Wait Your Turn - 6.211
46. Fly (ft Nicki Minaj) - 5.98
47. American Oxygen - 5.923
48. You Da One - 5.903
49. FourFiveSeconds (ft Kanye West & Paul McCartney) - 5.865
50. If It's Lovin' That You Want - 5.846

+Quote this post
vibe
post 21st August 2021, 01:16 PM
Post #38
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 11,763
Bitch and PIU deserved top 40

The harder Rihanna songs dont seem to be doing too well

+Quote this post
Nina West
post 21st August 2021, 06:58 PM
Post #39
Group icon
QUOTE(vibe @ Aug 21 2021, 02:16 PM) *
Bitch and PIU deserved top 40

The harder Rihanna songs dont seem to be doing too well

Bitch Better Have My Money did make the top 40, it's #40.

+Quote this post
Nina West
post 21st August 2021, 07:13 PM
Post #40
Group icon
As we head into the top 40 of the "Rihanna - Singles Rate: Results", here'a a reminder of what's left from each era =

Music of the Sun = 1/2
A Girl Like Me = 2/4
Good Girl Gone Bad = 7/8
Rated R = 4/6
Loud = 5/6
Talk That Talk = 3/5
Unapologetic = 3/7
Anti = 4/4

Collaborations/Other = 10/20

+Quote this post

11 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »