BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Artist News
11 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Rihanna - The Singles Rate [RESULTS], FULL RESULTS REVEALED (+ SPOTIFY PLAYLIST)
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
JSG
post Aug 21 2021, 09:09 PM
Post #41
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 18,473
Bitch Better Have My Money is glorious wub.gif
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Nina West
post Aug 22 2021, 05:35 PM
Post #42
Group icon
We're all Glitter and Tears in the Moonlight...
User: 19,846
Tears were for the weaker days

39. What Now | 6.884 Highest Scores: 11: (elgornino), 10: (Mike Sugaran, Tafty, George.keh, Nick F1, JSG), Lowest Scpres: 3: (Cremey, blacksquare)
38. Hate That I Love You (ft Ne-Yo) | 6.903 Highest Scores: 10: (ready for it, Tafty, vibe), Lowest Scores: 2: (dan::G)
37. Te Amo | 6.923 Highest Scores: 9: (jakewild, Mike Sugafan, vibe, HausofWillow, kath), Lowest Scores: -1: (Mack)

#39 is What Now, released in August 2013 as the 6th overall single from her 7th studio album Unapologetic. It was written by Olivia Waithe, Parker Ighile and Nathan Cassells alongside Rihanna, with production handled by Ighile and Cassells. Upon release the song recieved generally positive reviews with many calling it a stand out & became a moderate sucess worldwide with a top 20 peak in New Zealand, as well as top 40 peaks in Australia, Ireland, UK, Netherlands, USA & Canada. Despite getting the music video treatment, this still feels slept on & even though its in a very similar vein to the first 2 monster ballad singles, this kinda pales in comparison. However I do like how the delicate piano collides with roaring cymbal and bass as Rihanna's sweet vocals belts out the chorus without sacrificing emotion. Other than all those positives, its just never really clicked with me, I dunno why.

#38 is Hate That I Love You, released in August 2007 as the 3rd single from her 3rd studio album Good Girl Gone Bad & features vocals by American singer & songwriter Ne-Yo, who co-wrote the song with its producers Stargate. A Spanglish version of the track featuring David Bisbal was released in April 2008. Upon release the song recieved positive reviews & was a moderate success on the charts when compared to the album's other singles by reaching top 20 peaks in 13 countries, including a #15 peak in the UK & fared better in the USA by reaching the top 10. This is a soothing. breezy mid-tempo R&B number with some nice heartfelt harmonies from both artists whose paring feels very organic on here. However you can tell that this is a Ne-Yo penned track through & through as this has a very similar vibe to one of his songs, which stops this from fully standing out in Rihanna's discography, but this was still early days for her where she's already asserting her world dominance, while Ne-Yo was at the peak of his career.

At #37 we have Te Amo, in English means ("l Love You"), released in May 2010 as the 6th & final single from her 4th studio album Rated R, & lyrically tells of a relationship between two women. The song was written by Mikkel S. Eriksen, Tor Erik Hermansen, James Fauntleroy II and Rihanna, with production helmed by Eriksen and Hermansen under their production name, Stargate. The music video was shot in Vigny France, and was directed by longtime collaborator Anthony Mandler, where Rihanna wore a vibrant Mara Hoffman maxi dress, which cost over $1,000 & French supermodel Laetitia Casta played the role of a femme fatale and the apparent love interest. Upon release the song recieved positive reviews & became successful on the worldwide charts with top 10 peaks in Czech Republic, Hungary, Poland & Switzerland, as well as top 20 peaks in Austria, Germany, Norway, Finland, Belgium, UK & Ireland. Rihanna loves to turn convention on its head & on this track she imagines unrequited love between two women, that's heigtened by slick electro-latin infused production & a saucy music video, which did turn some heads at the time of its release, but became rather forgotten about by the following year, as her career continued to flourish. While this did offer a nice change of pace from the album's other futuristic sounding tracks, this often feels like a product of its time & kinda got left in the dust. But a beautiful track nonetheless.

+Quote this post
vibe
post Aug 23 2021, 08:29 AM
Post #43
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 11,763
The results are shocking sad.gif

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post Aug 23 2021, 01:00 PM
Post #44
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51
I really love 'Te Amo' these days, although I didn't used to and resented it for being released over 'Fire Bomb' (which still should've been the single)

+Quote this post
Nina West
post Aug 23 2021, 01:48 PM
Post #45
Group icon
Ready for some more!

+Quote this post
Nina West
post Aug 23 2021, 02:58 PM
Post #46
Group icon
Life's too short to be sitting 'round miserable

36. Cheers (Drink To That) | 6.923 Highest Scores: 10: (jakewild, Mike Sugafan), Lowest Scores; 4: (Cameron, Mack, Nick F1, Bjork)
35. Too Good (ft Drake) | 6.942 Highest Scores: 10: (jakewild, Chapman, Cremey, blacksquare), Lowest Scores: 1: (Tawdry Hepburn, Adelita)
34. Princess of China (ft Coldplay) | 7.038 Highest Scores: 10: (jakewild, Bjork, elgornio), Lowest Scores: 2: (JSG)

At #36 is Cheers (Drink To That), which scored the same as "Te Amo", but placed higher due to it having more higher scores. Released in August 2011 as the 6th & final single from her 5th studio album Loud. The song impacted US mainstream and rhythmic radio on August 2, 2011, as the seventh and final single released from Loud. The song was written by Andrew Harr, Jermaine Jackson, Stacy Barthe, LP, Corey Gibson, Chris Ivery, Lauren Christy, Graham Edwards, Avril Lavigne and Scott Spock, while production of the song was completed by Harr and Jackson under their stage name, The Runners. The song also contains samples from Avril Lavigne's "I'm With You". When Rihanna announced that this was her next single via her Twitter account, celebrity blogger Perez Hilton stated that this was his favourite song from the album. Upon release the song recieved postive reviews & became a commercial success by topping the Lebanon charts & hitting top 10 peaks in New Zealand, Australia, Canada & the USA, becoming her 19th top 10 hit there, as well as top 20 peaks in UK, Ireland & Slovakia. An instant highlight upon the album's release & a strong ending to a glorious era with its Tropicial infushed beats that harks back to her Barbadian roots. Sure it's nothing lyrically deep, it's just a song all about having a good time with a mellow groove that suits the song perfectly & just kick back and have fun.

At #35 is one of Rihanna's many collaborations with Drake - Too Good, released in July 2016 as the 5th single from Drake's 5th studio album Views & the song came to fruotion after they both worked on Rihanna's comeback single "Work" from the same year. This also marks the fourth collaboration between them (all of which features here). The artists co-wrote the track with its producers Nineteen85, Maneesh Bidaye, and Dwayne Chin-Quee, with additional writing from Andrew Hershey, Andre Sutherland, Atom Martin, and Terence Lam, as well as containing lyrical samples from "Love Yuh Bad" performed by Popcaan. Upon release the song became yet another commerical smash hit for both artists by hitting top 5 peaks in Australia, UK & New Zealand, top 10 peaks in Netherlands, Ireland, Belgium, Canada & Portugal, then top 20 peaks in 4 other countries. Both artists always seems to strike gold when together, & while I do like the organic sound that this track goes for, it simply isn't as great as the other tracks they've done together. Drake attempts at Caribbean dialect is questionable at best, but Rihanna puts in a solid performance at the very least, with some excellent harmonies on display here. However this may be their weakest effort together, but its still a rather decent track.

#34 is Princess of China, a duet track by British Rock band Coldplay & Rihanna & was released in February 2012 as the 4th single from Coldplay's 5th studio album Mylo Xyloto. The song was written by the band members themselves with additional composition by Brian Eno and a sample from "Takk..." performed by Sigur Rós, and is influenced by the music genres of electronic rock, electropop and R&B. Frontman Chris Martin confirmed that the song was specifically written for Rihanna to be featured on. On Sepetmeber of 2011 reports surfaced that the drummer Will Champion had expressed interest in singing the lyrics that were ultimately delegated to Rihanna. But it was stated that the song needed a female singer. Upon release the song
was met with a generally mixed responce, but became a commercial smash hit for both artists involved by reaching top 5 peaks in Mexico, Hungary, UK, Czech Republic, Ireland & Israel, top 10 peaks in Denmark, New Zealand & Norway as well as top 20 peaks in 8 other countries. This probably stands as one of Rihanna's most unexpected collaborations to date, but its a pretty solid effort nonetheless with its glossy synths & pulsating bass sounds & both artists voices blends surprisingly well together with the epic production claiming most of the spotlight. This rather flamboyant breakup song was gonna tailormade to be a smash hit whether you like it or not, even if it does feel rather forgotten by today's standards.

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post Aug 23 2021, 03:54 PM
Post #47
Group icon
Break the tension
'Too Good' is absolutely horrific, I can't believe it's the same two people that gave us 'Take Care'

+Quote this post
Bjork
post Aug 23 2021, 08:21 PM
Post #48
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 22,665
Princess of China is definitely too low, for some reason I thought it was a very loved track here in Buzzjack
It's a genius song despite having no chorus smile.gif

+Quote this post
One_For_Sorrow
post Aug 23 2021, 10:45 PM
Post #49
Group icon
---
User: 17,418
I’ve always really enjoyed Cheers, wish it finished a little higher.

+Quote this post
Nina West
post Aug 23 2021, 11:25 PM
Post #50
Group icon
Oh, and the award for the best liar goes to you (Goes to you)

33. Talk That Talk (ft Jay Z) | 7.076 Highest Scores: 10: (ready for it, jakewild), Lowest Scores: 3: (Jord, Cameron, JSG)
32. Can't Remember To Forget You (ft Shakira) | 7.115 Highest Scores: 10: (jakewild), Lowest Scores: 3: (Bjork)
31. Take A Bow | 7.153 Highest Scores: 10: (Cameron, Tafty, JSG, elgorno, vibe), Lowest Scores: 2: (Tawdry Hepburn, Adelita)

#33 is Talk That Talk, released in January 2012 as the 3rd single from her 6th studio album of the same-title & features a rap verse by American rapper Jay Z, who had previously collaborated with Rihanna on her single "Umbrella" & "Run This Town". The song was written by Jay-Z, Ester Dean, Christopher Wallace, Anthony Best, Sean Combs, and Chucky Thompson together with the Norwegian production duo StarGate. This track was chosen as the next single when Rihanna asked her fans on Twitter in December 2011 what should be the next single, in which this was ultimately chosen. Upon release the song had already charted in several countries upon the album's release due to strong digital sales & after its official release it managed moderate success with top 10 peaks in Israel, South Korea & Norway, as well as top 40 peaks in 13 other countries including Switzerland, Ireland, France, Australia, UK & USA. In 2013 ithe track was nominated for a Grammy Award for 'Best Rap/Sung Collaboration'. On paper this track sounds like it had all the makings to be an iconic smash hit, with Rihanna teaming up with Jay Z again for a sexually charged number over some fun hip-hop beats, catchy synths & trap drums. But something doesn't gel together, or maybe it could have been the lack of attention it got after it was officially released & not having a music video didn't help matters. Despite both artists delivering 2 great tracks together in the past, it seemed that they couldn't strike lucky a 3rd time with this rather formulaic & tame song, that despite employing some of the same tactics that made greatness in the past, this however lacked originality & urgency.

We're at the half-way point now at #32 with Can't Remember To Forget You, a song by Colombian singer-songwriter Shakira & released in January 2014 as the lead single from her 4th English studio album Shakira & features Rihanna. The song was co-written by Shakira, Rihanna, John Hill, Tom "Kid Harpoon" Hull, Daniel Alexander, and Erik Hassle, while production was handled by Shakira, Hill, and Hull. Initially in 2012 Shakira was meant to release a song called "Truth Or Dare" as the lead single from her then upcoming album & was reported to be filming its music video in Lisbon, however due to unknown reasons, the song never got released. Originally Rihanna was to feature on Pitbull's single "Timber", but didn't have time to feature on it, due to this collaboration. Upon release the song was met with mixed reviews & fared well commercially by reaching top 10 peaks in several countries such as Spain, France, Germany & Swizterland, as well as top 20 oeaks UK, USA, Australia & Canada. I remember really liking this at the time & found it really catchy with its bouncy ska beats & fun rock arrangements. However as time went on iit hasn't aged very well & find it rather forgettable & given the artists involved, this should have been much better than it was. I can see why this feel by the wayside rather quickly as if it wasn't for the Rihanna feature, this probablu wouldn't have been half as successful.

At #31 is Take A Bow, released in 2008 as the 1st single from the re-release of her 3rd studio album Good Girl Gone Bad: Reloaded. as well as being the 5th single overall. he song was written and produced by Tor Erik Hermansen, Mikkel Eriksen, and Shaffer Smith under their stage names StarGate and Ne-Yo. It was speculated at the time that "Breakin' Dishes' was gonna be the album's next single, but those rumours were quickly squashed when Rihanna announced that she would be releasing a special edition version of her 3rd album with 3 new tracks, including this, which got chosen to lead that project. Upon release the song got mixed reviews but became a huge commerical success by becoming her 3rd #1 on the US Billboard charts, as well as topping the charts in several other countries such as Canada, Denmark, Ireland, Slovakis & UK, along with top 5 peaks in New Zealand, Australia, Netherlands & Norway. Honestly thought that this would have been ranked higher, but given all the glorious offerings Rihanna has had since, some were bound to be left behind. Well anyway this number is probably one of her most relatable singles where lyrically it tells of how the female protagonist expresses disinterest in rekindling her relationship with a dishonorable and unfaithful ex-boyfriend, with her unfazed & blunt delivery, which sells its message rather well, set alongside a smooth elegantly R&B production. But sometimes she's comes across as more bored than angry, However its still a nice offering that continued her almighty momentum.

+Quote this post
Nina West
post Aug 23 2021, 11:31 PM
Post #51
Group icon
Here's another re-cap of the results 31-40

31. Take A Bow - 7.153
32. Can't Remember To Forget You (ft Shakira) - 7.115
33. Talk That Talk (ft Jay Z) - 7.076
34. Princess of China (ft Coldplay) - 7.038
35. Too Good (ft Drake) - 6.942
36. Cheers (Drink To That) - 6.923
37. Te Amo - 6.923
38. Hate That I Love You (ft Ne-Yo) - 6.903
39. What Now - 6.884
40. Bitch Better Have My Money - 6.73

The rest of the previous results for good measure

41. Pour It Up - 6.711
42. California King Bed - 6.634
43. The Monster (ft Eminem) - 6.615
44. Live Your Life (ft T.I.) - 6.576
45. Wait Your Turn - 6.211
46. Fly (ft Nicki Minaj) - 5.98
47. American Oxygen - 5.923
48. You Da One - 5.903
49. FourFiveSeconds (ft Kanye West & Paul McCartney) - 5.865
50. If It’s Lovin’ That You Want - 5.846
51. Right Now (ft David Guetta) - 5.807
52. Loyalty (ft Kendrick Lamar) - 5.711
53. Rockstar 101 (Ft Slash) - 5.48
54. Break It Off (ft Sean Paul) - 5.403
55. If I Never See Your Face Again (ft Maroon 5) - 5.384
56. Jump - 5.346
57. Believe It (ft PartyNextDoor) - 5.211
58. Sledgehammer - 5.134
59. We Ride - 5.115
60. Lemon (ft N.E.R.D.) - 5.019
61. Towards the Sun - 4.942
62. Loveeeeeee Song (ft Future) - 4.634
63. Selfish (ft Future) - 4.4
64. Birthday Cake (ft Chris Brown) - 4.211
65. Nothing is Promised (ft Mike Will Made It) - 4.06

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post Aug 23 2021, 11:56 PM
Post #52
Group icon
Break the tension
I think 'Talk That Talk' is a great song, although Jay-Z's contribution is probably one of the worst. I had to edit it out when I had an mp3 of it back in the day.

+Quote this post
JSG
post Aug 24 2021, 07:57 AM
Post #53
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 18,473
Soon many good tracks falling at the last couple hurdles and it's well shady!

What Now and Cheers (Drink To That) specifically, the latter being a glorious anthem! I'm actually shocked kink.gif

Also I just spotted Take A Bow! WTAF is going on with these results 😒

+Quote this post
One_For_Sorrow
post Aug 24 2021, 09:11 AM
Post #54
Group icon
---
User: 17,418
Another one of my favourites is gone in Take A Bow. Talk That Talk and Can't Remember To Forget You are a little to high for me.

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post Aug 24 2021, 11:58 AM
Post #55
Group icon
Break the tension
I'm personally glad to see 'Take A Bow' finish so low.

+Quote this post
Cremey
post Aug 24 2021, 01:05 PM
Post #56
Group icon
on a bench in coney island
User: 4,089
What Now finishing above BBHMM and Pour It Up… Selena.png

At least we have all four ANTI singles to come

+Quote this post
blacksquare
post Aug 24 2021, 02:25 PM
Post #57
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 23,471
QUOTE(Cremey @ Aug 24 2021, 01:05 PM) *
What Now finishing above BBHMM and Pour It Up… Selena.png

QUOTE(Nina West @ Aug 21 2021, 11:33 AM) *
41. Pour It Up | 6.711 Highest Scores: 11: (jakewild), 10:(Cremey, blacksquare), Lowest Scores: 1: (JSG)

40. Bitch Better Have My Money | 6.73 Highest Scores: 11: (Cremey, blacksquare), 10: (jakewild, Tafty, JSG), Lowest Scores: -1: (JackTheeStallion)

39. What Now | 6.884 Highest Scores: 11:(elgornino), 10:(Mike Sugaran, Tafty, George.keh, Nick F1, JSG), Lowest Scpres: 3: (Cremey, blacksquare)

35. Too Good (ft Drake) | 6.942 Highest Scores: 10:(jakewild, Chapman, Cremey, blacksquare), Lowest Scores: 1:(Tawdry Hepburn, Adelita)

the taste!

+Quote this post
Nina West
post Aug 24 2021, 04:20 PM
Post #58
Group icon
Before we head into the top 30 here's a reminder of what's left from each era:

Music Of The Sun - 1/2
A Girl Like Me - 2/4
Good Girl Gone Bad - 5/8
Rated R - 3/6
Loud - 4/6
Talk That Talk - 2/6
Unapologetic - 2/7
Anti - 4/4

Collaborations/Other - 7/20

Mmmm interesting to see that "Anti" still has all its singles in the running (very pleased with that result). "Talk That Talk" & "Unapologetic" have both taken the biggest beatings, losing most of their singles, but the 2 left from each era's are iconic & so hopefully won't be in any danger just yet.
unsure.gif However I'd say that 'Music of the Sun' is the one in the biggest danger, given that there were only 2 singles released from that era & 1 of them is already out, hopefully her debut single can hold out a little longer.

+Quote this post
Nina West
post Aug 24 2021, 09:18 PM
Post #59
Group icon
The Top 30 will be in 2's

+Quote this post
Nina West
post Aug 24 2021, 09:19 PM
Post #60
Group icon
So let's get this to another page.....

+Quote this post

11 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 01:38 AM