BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
31 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Girl ● album discussion, Dannii ● 3rd album ● 1997
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
___∆___
post Apr 27 2020, 02:08 PM
Post #1
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,155
Dannii’s ‘Girl’ era is her Impossible Princess moment for me - underrated but such a good album.

3 singles were released from the album including Dannii’s biggest selling single ‘All I Wanna Do’ which was followed by ‘Everything I Wanted’ which many fans seem to think was the wrong choice before the 3rd and final single ‘Dirememberance’.

What would you have done differently for this era? What should have been released as singles?

Even though it wasn’t part of the original album it appeared on the reissued expanded edition and was a minor hit in Australia but I absolutely love ‘Coconut’ heart.gif I always wonder how this would have worked as a single in the UK.

All I Wanna Do
UK Chart Run: 4-6-13-19-29-36-45-66.

Everything I Wanted
UK Chart Run: 15-25-32-50...83.

Disrememberance:
UK Chart Run: 21-41-68...96.

Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post Apr 27 2020, 02:17 PM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 845
Everything I wanted was a bad choice to follow all I wanna do. I cant remember but did dannii do much promo on the week the album was released?

+Quote this post
tommie
post Apr 27 2020, 02:57 PM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 8,073
Coconut was such a bizarre release - it was included as a hidden track and for some reason they thought it would work well as a single in Australia?

Though I believe it was mainly released to promote The Singles Collection in Australia.

There was several remixes done of Heaven Can Wait, so I believe it was in contention to be a single at one point. I also believe Bananarama recorded another version with the same backing track as Heaven Can Wait.

+Quote this post
vibe
post Apr 27 2020, 04:24 PM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 11,763
Great topic

After All I Wanna Do I would have released So In Love With Yourself as the second single. This track is instant whereas the problem with EIW is that it’s a grower and the chorus is not the highlight of the track.

Someone New that didn’t even make the album could have been a single too.

All I Wanna Do
So In Love With Yourself
Dis remembrance
Someone New / Am I Dreaming

Moving Up is catchy as hell and although not the best song may have done well.

Coconut is completely bonkers this could have worked as a double a side maybe.

Heaven Can Wait has remixes so this must of been in the running, I would have preferred this over EIW.

EIW does have a great video tho!!

+Quote this post
pippa
post Apr 27 2020, 04:39 PM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 14,031
Coconut is the type of song that would be very suitable for a double a release single.
Not strong enough on its own merits but would have appeal with a stronger more radio friendly song.

+Quote this post
Monzo
post Apr 27 2020, 04:54 PM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 349
I was always buying Dannii's music, but when "All I Wanna Do" came out she kind of lost me. Looking back I love this album, but at that time I was into that wild female stuff like Alanis Morissette, Garbage, Fiona Apple, so I didn't care about Dannii anymore. I bought the album a few years later on sale and was surprised how good it is.

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post Apr 27 2020, 05:18 PM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
I didnt like Dannii at that time either and got into Girl years later, im still not a huge fan of All i wanna do, i would prefer who do you love now or i begin to wonder as her biggest selling single. Girl is one of those albums if released by someone else at the time could have been a big seller.

+Quote this post
___∆___
post Apr 27 2020, 06:37 PM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Agree with some of the comments so far.

I would have started of course with ‘All I Wanna Do’ in June rather than the August release it got then followed up with a August release of ‘So In Love With Yourself’ then released ‘Disrememberance’ in October followed quickly by the album so that people had a chance to rediscover Dannii via the singles rather than having the album pushed on them as soon as AIWD became a hit which is what originally happened.

I then would have finished the campaign with ‘Am I Dreaming’ or ‘Heaven Can Wait’ backed up with the iconic but bonkers ‘Coconut’ which could have actually worked with a wacky video and club mixes.

‘Girl’ will forever be the era that could have offered Dannii so much more - let’s not go there on ‘Get Into You’ as that album is beyond saving drama.gif

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post Apr 27 2020, 06:58 PM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
Get into you was a disaster is everyway possible. Disrememberance should have been a big hit but even myself who loves the song now didnt take any notice of it when released and I dont really know why, I can only assume it wasnt played on the radio stations I was listening to or music shows I was watching as I know had I really known the song properly back then I would have liked it. I think this was a big problem dannii had, her music just wasn't getting out to the right people, and people dudnt just know much about her music. I wonder what really helped all i wanna do take off as it's not her strongest single but done really well for her.

+Quote this post
pippa
post Apr 27 2020, 07:07 PM
Post #10
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Promotion from Dannii doesn't hugely spring to mind.
Dannii never had huge promotional activities to really engage and attract sales to her albums.
Girl was commercial and should have reached audiences of pop music but there was a complete disconnect with it and the music buying public.

This post has been edited by pippa: Apr 27 2020, 07:10 PM

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post Apr 27 2020, 07:58 PM
Post #11
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
A boxet type of release might help Girl, release a boxset with Neon Nights could get a some sales, its worked for others.

+Quote this post
tommie
post Apr 27 2020, 07:59 PM
Post #12
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
I don't mind Get Into You actually, though I think it suffers what happens whenever non-Americans try to go with an American R&B sound - they end up with the scraps rather than the big hits, mostly because producers end up wanting to sell those to people who can actually get promoted on US radio.

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post Apr 27 2020, 08:17 PM
Post #13
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
Get into you shows that Dannii really didnt know her sound or what market she was after. Even reading the threads here the fans of dannii really like her pop/dance sound the most and thats where most of her success was. I think if Dannii knew her own sound years ago things might have been somewhat different. Dannii pairing with Riva was a great move and i think she needed more of these type of features after Neon nights to keep her profile up and her name in the charts on songs that people knew of.

+Quote this post
___∆___
post Apr 27 2020, 09:24 PM
Post #14
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
QUOTE(tommie @ Apr 27 2020, 08:59 PM) *
I don't mind Get Into You actually, though I think it suffers what happens whenever non-Americans try to go with an American R&B sound - they end up with the scraps rather than the big hits, mostly because producers end up wanting to sell those to people who can actually get promoted on US radio.

I don’t hate it but it was a disaster - bubble gum pop such as ‘This Is It’ mixed with ‘Get Into You’ didn’t really work, it feels like listening to the album they changed their mind 10 times through recording it what sound they wanted to go for.

+Quote this post
tommie
post Apr 27 2020, 09:37 PM
Post #15
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
QUOTE(___∆___ @ Apr 27 2020, 09:24 PM) *
I don’t hate it but it was a disaster - bubble gum pop such as ‘This Is It’ mixed with ‘Get Into You’ didn’t really work, it feels like listening to the album they changed their mind 10 times through recording it what sound they wanted to go for.

Oh, you can definitively tell that This Is It and This Is The Way were recorded once Show You The Way To Go and Love's On Every Corner bombed. It's clear that the album was originally going to go down a more adult R&B tone, but once that flopped they clearly pulled out This Is It since they at least had success with having her do a cover of Baby Love and Jump to the Beat from Love & Kisses.

Get Into You sort of reminds me of how Janet would throw a "rockier" track on her albums, so it didn't stick out too much for me among the R&B-ish tracks.

+Quote this post
pippa
post Apr 27 2020, 09:43 PM
Post #16
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
This Is It performed strongly for Dannii in a very misguided era.
However it showed an area Dannii could succeed, but, with little directional focus they didn't capitalize on what was popular.

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post Apr 27 2020, 10:58 PM
Post #17
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
This Is It was the first Dannii song i really liked and also the first single i bought from her and then didnt buy anything again until who do you love now.

+Quote this post
vibe
post Apr 28 2020, 08:46 AM
Post #18
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 11,763
We should have a deprecate thread for GIY. Lol

This era completely passed me by as a youngster . I didn’t hear any of the releases at the time apart from TII

I purchased the album years later . It has a few nice tracks but it’s her worst album for me. I Dream is nice !!

+Quote this post
pippa
post Apr 28 2020, 02:37 PM
Post #19
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
I did attempt visiting Get Into You but the sound had no appeal so I moved quickly on from it.

+Quote this post
slowdown73
post Apr 28 2020, 06:13 PM
Post #20
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 1,031
Girl came out at a time when Dannii was ironically more popular than Kylie in terms of chart success. All I wanna do was a great first single. I think the other two singles were also perfect follow ups. The only thing I would have changed is releasing a 4th single to help the album.

+Quote this post

31 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 11:39 AM