BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> CALUM'S KYLIE SINGLES RANK
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Calum
post Nov 7 2020, 11:09 PM
Post #1
Group icon
nabad
Pronouns: he/him
User: 18,316
It's time.

64 singles counted down. What are you rooting for, what do you think will do well / flop? ohmy.gif
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post Nov 7 2020, 11:10 PM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 12,472
'Red Blooded Woman' to slayyy! cheer.gif

+Quote this post
✖ leww ✖
post Nov 7 2020, 11:11 PM
Post #3
Group icon
escape in the taste of summerrrrrr
User: 9,403
SKIP A BEAT AND MOVE WITH MY BODY

+Quote this post
Calum
post Nov 7 2020, 11:38 PM
Post #4
Group icon
nabad

61 Tears on My Pillow
62 Where Is the Feeling
63 I Was Gonna Cancel
64 Some Kind of Bliss

Will kick things off with 61-64 tonight magic.gif

At the very bottom of the pack, we have Impossible Princess single Some Kind of Bliss. I've had to actually go back a few times and remind myself of the song, but yeah it doesn't exactly do much for me, and while it's hardly offensive or bad by any means, it's not essential Kylie for me. Just ahead of that in second-to-last position is I Was Gonna Cancel, a single from the ever-divisive Kiss Me Once era. While I will always defend the Kiss Me Once era for a lot of what it gave us, this is one part of it that is simply unjustifiable. This was a really strange single choice, and to this day is one that I never go back to. Where Is the Feeling, from the album Kylie Minogue, isn't much better than the two below it, but there's something quirky about it that manages to give it the advantage here. Still though, inessential. Finally in this section, Tears on My Pillow from the Enjoy Yourself era lands just outside the top 60. Not a single that I enjoy a lot, even if it was nice to hear it make a brief appearance during a medley of older singles on the Kiss Me Once tour back in 2014!

+Quote this post
___∆___
post Nov 7 2020, 11:40 PM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,155
SKOB in last place blink.gif drama.gif

+Quote this post
Jordanlee
post Nov 7 2020, 11:47 PM
Post #6
Group icon
Jord
User: 27,116
Hoping for Confide In Me to do well!

Your last place is a definite shocker though!

+Quote this post
slowdown73
post Nov 7 2020, 11:53 PM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 1,031
I’m surprised tears on my pillow is so low. It’s not my favourite but it’s better than the likes of better than today, please stay and celebration.

+Quote this post
SmileyKylie
post Nov 8 2020, 12:01 AM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 20,515
3 of my favs already gone!

If Get Outta My Way is not top 5 then I may well have Monday Blues

+Quote this post
Calum
post Nov 8 2020, 12:02 AM
Post #9
Group icon
nabad
Can already tell this is not going to go the way most will want it to kink.gif

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post Nov 8 2020, 12:34 AM
Post #10
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 845
Some kind of bliss ive always like and seeing it last is a shock I really like tears on my pillow aswell but it's my least fave of her number 1s

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post Nov 8 2020, 04:11 AM
Post #11
Group icon
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
User: 3,217
An interesting last place choice! It's not really a big fave of mine either, but I find it pleasantly inoffensive on the rare occasions I give it a play.

+Quote this post
Nina West
post Nov 8 2020, 08:40 AM
Post #12
Group icon
We're all Glitter and Tears in the Moonlight...
User: 19,846
Actually don't find 'Some Kind of Bliss' all that bad, certainly not Kylie's worst, but it wasn't a great lead single. Interesting that this thread is here considering that I'll be starting my Kylie singles rate tomorrow.

+Quote this post
Monzo
post Nov 8 2020, 08:41 AM
Post #13
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 349
What I love about these rankings for artists who are doing music for decades is that you kind of feel if the person who ranks the singles is old enough to know all of them when they were originally released.
I could never place Tears On My Pillow so low. I'm not a huge fan of it anymore, but I remember how much I loved it. On my personal chart back then it was the only EY-single at no 1 and I totally get why it topped the UK charts. I think it's one of these songs that seems odd because you weren't able to feel it when it was originally released.

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post Nov 8 2020, 11:10 AM
Post #14
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
Ya I remember tears on my pillow as it was released and I liked it alot at the time, I enjoy these rankings as you get to see how caries dif opinions are on songs although tears on my pillow doesnt great all that often here on buzzjack.

+Quote this post
Calum
post Nov 8 2020, 11:42 AM
Post #15
Group icon
nabad

56 All I See
57 New York City
58 Better Than Today
59 Celebration
60 Music’s Too Sad Without You (with Jack Savoretti)

Into the top 60 now, and the first to fall is the fifth single from Kylie's Golden era, Music's Too Sad Without You. With the help of Jack Savoretti, Kylie made a song that was perfect for the Radio 2 listeners, but not quite so perfect for me. It's a nice enough song, but definitely doesn't hold up with a lot of the material on Golden. Originally intended for inclusion on Kylie's fourth album Let's Get to It, Celebration later appeared on her 1992 Greatest Hits album, and it's fun, joyful and has a really nice music video to go along with it, but sadly that's about all there is to it. Now, Better Than Today is a song that seemed like a good single choice at the time, but when you actually hear the material on Aphrodite, you realise that it's one of the biggest duds (if not the biggest), and could have been replaced with something far stronger. Still, Kylie promoted the hell out of it (with an elusive X Factor spot, at the same time tripping over herself). Used to promote Kylie's latest greatest hits compilation Step Back in Time: The Definitive Collection, New York City is a bit of a bop, but for me it started to really grate after just a few plays? It's by no means terrible or one of the worst things she's ever put her name to, but I just don't have any urge to go back to it now. Finally in this section, poor All I See loses its everlasting battle. It seems a lot of fans really don't like this, but for me it's a really great song? It's only now when compiling a list of singles from favourite to least-favourite that I realise how far down the list it is, but it's still a really nice song! Doesn't deserve a lot of the hate it gets!

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post Nov 8 2020, 01:17 PM
Post #16
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
Music's to sad without you much much to low for me as I love the song and seeing New York city higher is painful as nyc is a skip song for me.

+Quote this post
Nina West
post Nov 8 2020, 01:51 PM
Post #17
Group icon
We're all Glitter and Tears in the Moonlight...
User: 19,846
Actually like 'Music's Too Sad Without You', don't get its not well liked on here, a beautiful track with some great vocals (from both artists) & stunning production. A firm standout on 'Golden' & an obvious single choice.

'Celebration' - MEH, a fun cover that's it.

'Better Than Today' - Who thought this was the better option over the original choice 'Put Your Hands Up' should be FIRED (if they haven't already). This should have stayed on the album as its weakest moment. Hell if 'PYHU' was taken out of consideration then why not the awesome 'Aphrodite', if that had the promo 'BTT' had then that could have easily been another top 20 hit.

'New York City' - Quite liked this at the time, especially when she sung it live on her 'Golden Tour', but the studio version felt a little unpolished & missing that extra something.

'All I See' - This has really grown on me lately & really doesn't deserve so much hate. This track has a nice smooth & soothing sound to it that yeah stuck out like a sore thumb on 'X' (like a couple of the tracks did on that album) & this had no business being a US single, especially when 'Speakerphone' was far better received over there or hell even 'Like A Drug' could have been an interesting choice for that market.

+Quote this post
pippa
post Nov 8 2020, 01:57 PM
Post #18
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 14,031
Music's Too Sad Without is an amazing song and a huge highlight from the Golden era.

+Quote this post
Calum
post Nov 8 2020, 07:00 PM
Post #19
Group icon
nabad
I gathered there'd be a few up in arms about MTSWY being this low kink.gif

+Quote this post
Calum
post Nov 8 2020, 09:42 PM
Post #20
Group icon
nabad

51 2 Hearts
52 Especially For You (with Jason Donovan)
53 Chocolate
54 If You Were With Me Now (with Keith Washington)
55 Word is Out

I sense more upset incoming as we reach the songs just shy of the top 50 - with the closest of those being the lead single from X, 2 Hearts. Don't get me wrong, 2 Hearts isn't exactly a bad song (none of Kylie's singles really are apart from the obvious ones), but 2 Hearts just never clicked with me, and the other singles that followed from X, or even some of the album tracks, were so much stronger. Kylie's collaboration with Neighbours co-star Jason Donovan, Especially For You, is just behind it. It's a lovely song and my earliest memory of it is hearing it for the first time, and live at that, on the Showgirl tour where it formed part of the encore alongside Love at First Sight. It's a beautiful moment, and the song is just so lovely too. Chocolate, one of the singles from the ill-fated album Body Language appears, and again it's not that I don't like the song... I just can't take to it the same way I do with other Kylie classics. It's just kind of there and doesn't put me up nor down. If You Were With Me Now was relatively unknown to me, and I didn't properly appreciate it until it was part of the set-list on the Kiss Me Once tour - it's a nice enough song and both Kylie and Keith sound gorgeous together, but alas this is definitely a victim of not having heard enough. Finally, Let's Get to It single Word Is Out completes this section - a fun, funky, and half-way to being quite sublime number that has a great chorus but, now, sounds quite dated and isn't a major 'omg I must go back regularly' moment.

+Quote this post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 02:01 AM