BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 
2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> #SlayberryTop50: 2017 Year In Review, ...are you ready for it?
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
BridgeCow
post 4th January 2018, 07:36 PM
Post #21
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 23,860

I do actually really like Memories tbh, it's absolutely nothing compared to their older stuff but it does have it's own charm and it gets a completely unreasonable amount of hate, It Won't Kill Ya, Young and Wake Up Alone are all absolute tunes, so they literally couldn't have picked a worse single in Honest, which is probably one of their worst songs ever for me, but tbf I don't think any post album singles were really ever gonna do much chartwise. Excited to hear what's to come from them this year, especially after they revamped their ig page the other day
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Cowboy Cody
post 5th January 2018, 07:36 PM
Post #22
Group icon
new hair, new tee, new Levii’s Jeans
User: 21,308

I’m kinda sad they ended the era with “Honest” flopping, they could have easily revived the era when “Young” was featured in a couple ads

+Quote this post
Cowboy Cody
post 6th January 2018, 10:32 PM
Post #23
Group icon

*Cody's Album Review 2017*

Demi Lovato - Tell Me You Love Me

With Selena not releasing an album, we were left with Miley and Demi representing Disney Channel’s “golden age”. Unfortunately Miley’s was more folk-ish and that’s not really my thing (I did like Malibu though! And Younger Now could use a remix I guess), so Demi was the outright winner in the album front.

The album is more or less typical Demi, which isn’t really anything too detrimental because i'm into that type of stuff, but it packs more of a punch than her previous release. For starters, she’s not relying on pure pop: there’s a very significant urban influence laced into every single track. Sorry Not Sorry, for example, has a poppier version of Chance The Rapper’s “No Problem” instrumental. Not exactly the best comparison but it’s uncanny. This gave her a challenge to control her naturally belt-y voice, and at times you can see that she has done that. Her voice is either warranted (see: her ballads) or give the song a more euphoric kick (see: Sexy Dirty Love’s “I feel so ALIIIIIIIIIIVEEEEEEE”). And then there are songs like Hitchhiker; they’re more mature and sexually charged than most of her other songs, a phase that was explored a bit in Cool For The Summer and further developed last year in Body Say. That was her third purpose; she wanted to experiment more lyrically, and this was the album to do it.

Overall, I’d say she has an impressive track record for being on album #6, and I’d say the evolution of her artistry as a bona fide pop star has been among the most natural of the Disney stars. Say what you want about delivery, she’s certainly bringing diversity to the table.

Ranking:
1.) Sexy Dirty Love
2.) Sorry Not Sorry
3.) Daddy Issues
4.) You Don’t Do It For Me Anymore
5.) Tell Me You Love Me
6.) Hitchhiker
7.) Lonely
8.) Games
9.) Concentrate
10.) Cry Baby
11.) Ruin The Friendship
12.) Only Together

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post 7th January 2018, 08:16 PM
Post #24
Group icon
Buy yourself a car, and a house in Devon
User: 23,247

Can't say I'm that familiar with Demi's new album but Tell Me You Love Me (the song) is one of the best things she's put out there for me!

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 9th January 2018, 10:01 PM
Post #25
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
Pronouns: he/him
User: 13,530

Can't argue with that Demi album top 3 wub.gif

+Quote this post
Cowboy Cody
post 13th January 2018, 06:13 PM
Post #26
Group icon

Hey Violet - From The Outside

First I’m glad that I got the opportunity to meet them and get a picture with Rena a few months ago.

These guys have been around for years but the period from the “Guys My Age” release to now has been rather tumultuous. Not only were they thrust into the mainstream spotlight for the first time, but this was their first studio album (not EP, y’all gotta learn the difference) under a new name and new lead singer. Their previous work was pretty much something you’d find in Lindsey’s Spotify playlists. From The Outside, however, felt more… mature despite it being more mainstream. Of course, they still had an attitude that felt a bit juvenile, but it was more controlled and more in tune with their new sound. Maybe it’s because electropop really gets to me. It’s like Cobra Starship’s work but with a female lead.

The album is an amalgamation of their singles and the Brand New Moves EP which preceded them, plus a few new singles. You’ll see what I thought of Break My Heart/Guys My Age/Hoodie later on. Brand New Moves was cute when I heard it last year during BJSC but it felt like something was missing. Guys My Age just seemed to fill that hole, which led it to three weeks at #1 for me. They show their more rockstar side with stuff like This Is Me Breaking Up With You and Fuqboi, the latter not being really up to my tastes but still being decent. The rest of the album? GEMS. Where Have You Been (All My Night) is probably the best album track out of the entire album. All We Ever Wanted would be second on the list. Unholy was the perfect blend of mature and juvenile that was perfect for the aesthetic of the album. And O.D.D was wonderfully chill. Don’t really care for the Target exclusives although Cannibals was decent. I’m kinda sad Pure wasn’t on the album, that’s probably up there with Guys My Age/WHYB(AMN) as one of their best songs ever.

Ranking:
1. Guys My Age
2. Where Have You Been (All My Night)
3. All We Ever Wanted
4. Hoodie
5. My Consequence
6. Unholy
7. Break My Heart
8. Brand New Moves
9. O.D.D
10. This Is Me Breaking Up With You
11. Fuqboi
12. Like Lovers Do

+Quote this post
Cowboy Cody
post 15th January 2018, 12:23 AM
Post #27
Group icon

Machine Gun Kelly - bloom

I always invisioned Machine Gun Kelly to be a more alternative version of early Eminem, especially after hearing his collaboration with Lzzy Hale (fun fact: that was a BJSC potential back in the day!) so I was surprised to hear a poppier version of his sound in Bad Things. Even with Camila’s squealing, he still felt pretty true to his sound. Similar to G-Eazy, his material focuses on struggle and resilience, though less urban-focused. So yeah, sonically it’s pretty similar to Eminem.

What I enjoyed about this album was his ability to throw in features and give them their own separate light. I mean, Camila was pretty prominent in Bad Things, Hailee Steinfeld’s Skylar Grey-esque vocals and chorus complemented At My Best well, and he even made James Arthur sound decent. Go For Broke is the only song he’s been associated in than I’ve charted. The more urban song of the album, “Trap Paris”, is more give or take, but that’s more due to the Quavo inclusion than anything.

Ranking:
1.) Bad Things
2.) Rehab
3.) At My Best
4.) 27
5.) Go For Broke
6.) Habits
7.) The Gunner
8.) Wake + Bake
9.) The Break Up
10.) Let You Go
11.) Golden God
12.) Kiss The Sky
13.) Can’t Walk
14.) Trap Paris
15.) Moonwalkers

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post 15th January 2018, 07:45 PM
Post #28
Group icon
Buy yourself a car, and a house in Devon
User: 23,247

I really liked At My Best this year, another song I loved the message of! Hailee's vocals are incredible on it also. Go For Broke I also really liked, the chorus was such an earworm!

+Quote this post
Cowboy Cody
post 17th January 2018, 05:50 AM
Post #29
Group icon

Lorde - Melodrama

I'm probably gonna get permabanned for saying this but... while I did love Lorde's album, I didn't really consider it the second coming of Christ. This was an album that apparently took a long time to make, even with her traveling back to New Zealand for the duration of her hiatus. "Magnets" sorta filled that Lorde-shaped hole in music but not by that much because it didn't do much IRL. So robbed. Then she comes back with this album and not only is it critically acclaimed, it's the one album every year that Buzzjack creams themselves over.

Something about this album felt much like the standard Lorde, but at the same time it was much brighter than expected. It felt both repressed and yet there was a sense of release. There were feelings that I felt that weren't on her debut. Maybe things are just different now and her eclectic style clicks with me more. I still stick with my opinion that "Green Light" sounded like a Bastille song, namely "Pompeii". "The Louvre" was suppressed pop at its finest; everything just felt very hesitant, and yet that's what gave it charm. And then of course there's "Sober II (Melodrama)" which was the cream of the crop in this LP.

Also of note: from the Homemade Dynamite remix, Khalid > SZA > Lorde (ending) > Lorde (first verse) > Post Malone. I keep thinking A$AP Rocky is in the remix for some reason.

Ranking:
1.) Sober II (Melodrama)
2.) Homemade Dynamite
3.) The Louvre
4.) Green Light
5.) Liability
6.) Perfect Places
7.) Writer in the Dark
8.) Sober
9.) Hard Feelings/Loveless
10.) Supercut
11.) Liability (Reprise)

+Quote this post
Dexton
post 17th January 2018, 06:06 AM
Post #30
Group icon
rip in peace Dickston
User: 25,045

QUOTE(CodyOfTheWoods @ Jan 17 2018, 01:50 PM) *
I'm probably gonna get permabanned for saying this but... while I did love Lorde's album, I didn't really consider it the second coming of Christ. This was an album that apparently took a long time to make, even with her traveling back to New Zealand for the duration of her hiatus. "Magnets" sorta filled that Lorde-shaped hole in music but not by that much because it didn't do much IRL. So robbed. Then she comes back with this album and not only is it critically acclaimed, it's the one album every year that Buzzjack creams themselves over.

rotf.gif

Lorde is definately one of those artists who BJ is completely obsessed with. For good reason though, really, I much preferred this album to her debut and even prefer all the singles from this era to her previous ones. Team excluded, that's an all-time fav wub.gif I still don't quite see the resemblance between Green Light and Pompei, but maybe my brain just refuses to see it as I adore both equally wub.gif (but for the record, Bastille > Lorde kink.gif)

It's a shame the Homemade Dynamite remix didn't do anything, after it being a canceled release following the Manchester Attack and then having 3 brilliant artists thrown onto a remix I thought it would do something in the charts somewhere other than NZ/Aus.

+Quote this post
Sergej
post 17th January 2018, 09:00 PM
Post #31
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,723

Great to see "Melodrama" in your Year-End list!

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 19th January 2018, 09:16 PM
Post #32
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
Pronouns: he/him
User: 13,530

I need to peep the Hey Violet album, I've bought it but not given it a spin yet ohmy.gif

+Quote this post
HarryBorelli
post 21st January 2018, 08:53 AM
Post #33
Group icon
The Lady Said Go Home!
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 20,835

Ruin The Friendship second to last on that Demi album rank...I can't with you sometimes kink.gif

Yay for Lorde and the Hey Violet album was good from what I remember.

+Quote this post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 25th April 2024, 12:21 PM