BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
> 
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Jupiter's Top 100 Tracks of 2017, Into the top 20! 18 to go
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
J00prstar
post Jan 3 2018, 04:45 PM
Post #1
there's nothing straight about plump Elvis
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 22,895
   No Gallery Pics

JUPITER'S TOP 100 TRACKS OF 2017

Back for another round, this time it's the Top 100 tracks of 2017 from my personal charts that I'll be counting down. This is based just on cumulative plays from songs (mainly) released in the year, rather than the points systems some posters use, because I've never quite got my head around those. As such, several of the nearer the end of the year releases are disadvantaged a bit, but that's just the way the cookie crumbles.

Some facts about this year's top 100 to get us started off:
    > This year, 20 acts will be making multiple appearances in the countdown, up from last year's year-appropriate 16
    > The top three was changing up until the last day of the year when a late surge changed things
    > All but seven of my throughout the year chart toppers will be making an appearance here, while...
    > this year, only three official chart toppers will be showing up
    > The most appearances by a single artist this year is six, down from Rihanna's 9 last year
    > However more artists than last year have notched up significant multiple appearances, with artists landing three, four and five charters this year
Guesses for what might (and might not) make an appearance from those of you that have been following my charts and what I've played (and criticised!) in the community this year are welcome, as ever, along with any other comments y'all might have biggrin.gif

And don't worry, there's nothing quite so left-field as two appearances by Willow Smith this year tongue.gif

Right, that said, let's crack on into it!

This post has been edited by Jüpiter: Jul 18 2018, 08:01 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
J00prstar
post Jan 3 2018, 05:57 PM
Post #2
   No Gallery Pics

100) YUNGEN ft. YXNG BANE - BESTIE

2017 peak: #4

By coincidence this first set all peaked at #4 and #6 through the year. Bestie coming in at #100 in the overalls is appropriately fairly standout as the only song in the top 100 this year I discovered via that old medium of the radio, actually hearing it on the chart show thread for the first time and being pretty well hooked by its charms. Picking up a lot of radio play on mainstream stations ensured I heard it a lot at work which prompted me to add it to my own playlists. And of course who can forget 'the hood'? Lead artist Yungen hasn't had any more success for me in 2017, but the featured Yxng Bane charted a second feature on When Ur Sober by Taya, which was later entered into BJSC where it did fairly well. Last year's #100 went to Dua Lipa who went on to have a rip-roaring 2017 for me, perhaps Yungen can mimic that to some extent in 2018?

99) LANA DEL REY - LOVE

Onto something completely different with the first entry for Lana Del Rey on this year's countdown. Look out for a lot more from Lana, releasing her highly anticipated fourth studio album this year, she's the act with the highest number of entries on the year-end this year, all six of her top fives for me this year, including two chart toppers, you can expect to make an appearance. That said, this one just squeaked in, it's not at all the kind of song I go to Lana for, and makes it in boosted by early curiosity plays and fan loyalty from me as its the first thing she'd put out in a long time. It's rare that a Lana lead single doesn't top my charts, so this one peaking only at #4 is a real testament to how much it isn't my thing. Still, it's quite a sweet tune, and helped change some of the general public's perception of Lana and gain her some new fans, so I can't knock it for that. Just not quite my cup of tea.

98) LONDON GRAMMAR - WILD EYED

2017 peak: #6

Another comeback tune now for London Grammar who launched their sophomore album campaign this year. Usually a long break in music doesn't bode well, but as I only really discovered the group in 2015, it didn't seem such a long wait for me. The album was a slow grower on me, being slightly slower and more orchestral than its trip-hop influenced predecessor, but the tracks have a charm to them, and more of them will likely grow on me in the long winter yet to come where I live, where their sound suits the world outside. The band charted three top tens and two further top 40s from the album during 2017, of which Wild Eyed was the second highest peaker. The track's the first non-single in the countdown, but was the album track that really resonated with me most at the time, and thanks to the power of spotify and streaming, any track can effectively be a single if you want it to be. Thanks, 2010s.

97) FRANCESCO GABBANI - OCCIDENTALI'S KARMA

First Eurovision entry this year, and it's the winner that everyone saw coming a mile off that inexplicably managed to flub the finale performance on the big night resulting in a disappointing fifth place for the Italians. The obnoxious radio edit to get it down to three minutes doesn't really help matters, of course. This was a big fave of mine well before the contest and leading up to it though, reaching its chart peak for me before the contest actually hit. It wasn't the highest peaking Eurovision track on my charts this year - that honour goes to an act yet to come - but it still gets me going and has a charm of its own even now the contest is well over. Eurovision ultimately didn't do as well on my charts in 2017 as in 2016, the sole two entries this year will be outside the top 75, a far cry from Poli Genova's #11-peaking entry last year.

96) GOLDFRAPP - ANYMORE

And finally for this section, another comeback from an artist in my top 5 of all time. It's such a shame Goldfrapp fell by the wayside a bit for me this year, especially as a longterm fan from back in the early 2000s. After the smash success of her last album on my charts despite its slow acoustic style, which I wasn't expecting after the heavily 80s-influenced Head First, I was pretty sure whatever she came out with this time, I'd be ready for. And it just...fell flat, a little. Goldfrapp's 7th album went back electro, but with darker, almost Nero- or Bjork- esque sounds and a lot of long songs, and it just feels overall a little...much. The few tracks that break that mold go back to a glam rock inspired sound a bit, which feels a bit like a return to past sounds, making this album feel like it might be Goldfrapp's last, which is also a little disappointing of an idea. Ultimately, it feels like Goldfrapp matured into a new sound for album 6 and then reverted for number 7. Still. Anymore, as the lead single, managed top 5 earlier this year, as did later release Everything is Never Enough. The music is still fairly solid and enjoyable, even if it's not quite capturing the spark of previous releases. Additionally, I was a little disappointed when I saw Goldfrapp live earlier this year as her heart didn't seem in it. Here's hoping the band come back in the future and move past this hump.

This post has been edited by Jüpiter: Jan 3 2018, 06:02 PM

+Quote Post
Sergej
post Jan 3 2018, 10:55 PM
Post #3
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 39,723
   No Gallery Pics

Hello Jupiter!
Great list so far!
"Occidentali's Karma": I really enjoy this one and the artist himself is in my opinion a hit machine in my chart!
"Wild Eyed": Love this song from London Grammar, just like the other songs from their new album!
"Love": The best song Lana Del Rey song
"Bestie": Decent R&B track, I like that!

+Quote Post
DalekTurret32
post Jan 3 2018, 11:36 PM
Post #4
FIVE YEARS OF THE TURRET 15-20
Group: Members
Member No.: 21,666
   No Gallery Pics

I love Occidentali's Karma. One of my favourites from Eurovision this year
I quite like Bestie, plus Anymore is pretty good.

+Quote Post
PeteFromLeeds
post Jan 4 2018, 06:59 PM
Post #5
Buy yourself a car, and a house in Devon
Member No.: 23,247
   No Gallery Pics

Occidentalli's Karma is a great Eurovision track! One of the catchiest songs from this contest, I really should listen to some of his other stuff ohmy.gif

Anymore was pretty catchy as well! Goldfrapp haven't lost it wink.gif

+Quote Post
J00prstar
post Jan 5 2018, 06:42 PM
Post #6
   No Gallery Pics

95) LIL DEBBIE ft. YUNG FELIX - WORK WITH THAT

2017 peak: #30

Well, this one will be divisive. I get the feeling that Lil Debbie ranges from unknown to strongly disliked on Buzzjack, but having said that, Brooke Candy, who fishes in a similar pool, just did quite well for me on the most recent BJSC. Sure, she's a bit problematic and bratty, but Debbie has some good tunes among her somehow quite large stable of work, despite never having had even a minor hit. Current tune Boss Bitch with Kim Lee is riding high in the top ten of my personal chart this month, adding to her tally of top 40s for me since 2014. Sure, she's a bit of a guilty pleasure, but I'm old enough by now to own those. This peaked low during the year but picked up strong trickle plays throughout with its chilled out instrumental fitting quite easily on a lot of varied playlists.

94) RACHEL K COLLIER - SHIPS

2017 peak: n/a

A BJSC potential here now which still might see the light of day in 2018. Some of you may vaguely recall Rachel K Collier from Ray Foxx's Boom Boom (Heartbeat) from a few years back, where she was the featured vocalist. First hitting my radar winter 2016, this one really came into its own for me through 2017, though it didn't manage ever to make it back onto the charts to outpeak its 2016 pinnacle of #25. She's gone indie and still does some dance features, this one for me crosses over the two genres quite nicely, and is a really fun early summer song that works not too badly in the colder part of the year too as a dream of holidays and relaxation. Glad to share it to a new audience.

93) VERITE - SAINT

2017 peak: #16

Very (hah) surprised to see this one make it in, which it does thanks to a late surge. VERITE's an artist who's been on my radar since about 2013, which is a really long time ago now, but as I said when originally charting this during the year, she was a singer who seemed to not know her place or style and delivered many more misses than hits in terms of what she was putting out. In 2017 she seemed to get a handle on her sound, dropping an album alongside a number of well done features, resulting in her landing several top 40s for me. Perhaps one to watch for 2018. (Although that stage name still isn't the best, imo)

92) ED SHEERAN - CASTLE ON THE HILL

2017 peak: #1

First chart topper already and the lowest chart topper to make it into the top 100, only outdone by Tal's Slow Down the Flow which doesn't even make it in, along with most of the recent number 1s from nearer the year end which haven't built up the steam. Castle is still by far and away my favourite track from Ed's third album, although that's not saying much, he doesn't have a particularly long chart record with me, only previously landing with Sing and Rudimental's Lay it All On Me. The track received enough plays to propel it to #1 in the first place back last spring, far above Shape Of You which peaked outside my top 20, but didn't manage to make many more gains throughout the year, resulting in its low overall placing. Ed stands a chance of doing better in 2018's chart though; I'm really enjoying the Eminem collab River right now.

91) MINIATURE TIGERS - CRYING IN THE SUNSHINE

Finally for this section, one I was kinda putting off sharing as it's a big potential entry for BJSC for me this year, if Jupiterdonia ever makes it back to its indie roots past all the other genres we've been sending tongue.gif This was a surprise discovery at the start of the year for me while running a search on bands I used to listen to back in 2013-14 to see what else they'd put out since. In the endup I liked this one a lot more than the original track I found them on, a lovely slice of semi melancholic Vampire Weekend esque indie pop that also gives me shades of the band fun. (where did they go, again?) Peaking at #6 back in the spring, this one picked up steady plays through the summer and winter thanks to its theme and versatile tone, and I'm glad to test the waters with it here.

+Quote Post
BridgeCow
post Jan 5 2018, 09:11 PM
Post #7
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 23,860
   No Gallery Pics

Nice to see Love appear here! It is quite different from her but it's still really good so it's a shame it couldn't make top 40 sad.gif
That VERITE song is quite nice!, been meaning to listen to their album!

+Quote Post
PeteFromLeeds
post Jan 7 2018, 08:02 PM
Post #8
   No Gallery Pics

Slow Down the Flow not making it in ohmy.gif It's one of the songs I've actually loved this year, still to come in my EOY!

+Quote Post
J00prstar
post Jan 10 2018, 11:56 AM
Post #9
   No Gallery Pics

90) 2NE1 - GOODBYE

First spot of asian pop in this year's countdown goes to 2NE1 with swansong Goodbye. The group briefly reunited for this one-off final single in the wake of label battles, drug controversy and the loss of several of its members one by one, with lead CL also intending to focus on a Western career in the US. The group were also starting to age out of the notoriously youth-focused K-pop market and I'm sure that played a role in their fall from grace, too. Goodbye was a nice gift to fans though, and ends on a high becoming another top 5 hit for me to add to their existing tally of six or seven since 2013, not too shabby. The track's got great acoustic stylings and vocal work from all remaining members.

89) THE NAKED AND FAMOUS - HIGHER

2017 peak: #16

First rockier track of this year's crop comes in just past the 90s. The Naked and Famous have notched up three charters so far for me from their latest album Simple Forms (2016), a return to form for me following their disappointing sophomore effort after the mainstream indie hit debut anchored by hit single Young Blood. They've another yet to come in the countdown a little further up; both songs have polled well on trickle plays throughout the year allowing them to surpass their low top 20 chart placings.

88) LANA DEL REY - CHERRY

Lana's Cherry is our second chart topper of the countdown and Lana's second entry too, already. I'm a little surprised this one landed so low, as by far my favourite track Lana had previewed before dropping her latest album, but it was perhaps a victim of its own hype. Striking straight in at the top spot a week after the album's release, Cherry's suffered from a lack of trickle plays since as I quite quickly burned through my enjoyment of it. Still, I would expect it to pick up more plays over this next year and continue to be a consistent player among Lana's discography, up there with tunes like Born to Die, West Coast and Music To Watch Boys To as tracks that I find myself drawn back to over and over again.

87) BLANCHE - CITY LIGHTS

2017 peak: #3

Only at #87 this year is our highest Eurovision appearance. Blanche wasn't one I'd tipped before the contest, putting my chips this year on Bulgaria's Kristian Kostov to win the whole thing and being pipped to the post at the last. She however delivered a great pop song, even if not maybe performed so convincingly, with great replay value that has picked up the goods throughout the year for me. If sung by someone like Ellie Goulding or Dua Lipa, I could even see this song being a hit today in the UK.

86) STEFFLON DON ft. FRENCH MONTANA - HURTIN ME

2017 peak: #10

And finally for this section, a surprise hit that caught just about everyone offguard in 2017, crossover urban-pop jam from Stefflon Don fresh off the back of her Jax Jones rap feature. The track benefits from a slight tropical hit and owes some of its fresh sound to Rihanna's Work synths from 2016, which Stefflon is able to sell convincingly as something all her own. Just a pity she decided to follow it up with a song that samples The Simpsons! This one stuck around my charts for ages during the year, rebounding within the top 20 for weeks on end. It's also one of two top tens French Montana landed for me this year in a surprising popularity surge for the fairly well established rapper, who found himself boosted by a slew of features through 2017; unfortunately, his #2-peaking track with Era Istrefi doesn't make it in to the EOY this time round.

+Quote Post
DalekTurret32
post Jan 10 2018, 02:25 PM
Post #10
FIVE YEARS OF THE TURRET 15-20
Member No.: 21,666
   No Gallery Pics

Castle On The Hill, Higher, Hurtin' Me and City Liights are some pretty good songs

+Quote Post
PeteFromLeeds
post Jan 10 2018, 09:17 PM
Post #11
   No Gallery Pics

City Lights is quite nice to listen to, reminds me a bit of Miike Snow - Animal if you've ever heard that. Would have been nice to see it make an impact officially smile.gif

+Quote Post
J00prstar
post Jan 22 2018, 09:00 PM
Post #12
   No Gallery Pics

85) LANA DEL REY ft. STEVIE NICKS - BEAUTIFUL PEOPLE BEAUTIFUL PROBLEMS

Although Lana lands six tracks in this year's countdown, fifteen in she's down to three to come. Beautiful People Beautiful Problems featuring the wonderful vocal talents of veteran star Stevie Nicks of Fleetwood Mac became Lana's second consecutive chart topper of 2017, reaching its peak soon after the album's release. BPBP and Cherry, her other topper, have so far picked up the lion's share of plays of the new tracks on the album for me, but it's a really solid effort altogther, one of the best bodies of work the atmospheric singer's put out in her career thus far, by my reckoning. As a longterm Fleetwood Mac/Stevie fan, this holds a special place in my heart too, as it's getting to the stage where there are question marks over whether the singer, now in her 70s, will be going into the studio again in the forseeable future. One of my top tracks of the year, although its not to everyone's taste, I'm aware non pre-existing Stevie fans were a little baffled by it. Still, their loss.

84) LITTLE BIG TOWN - LOST IN CALIFORNIA

Country crossover continued to win me over in 2017, a genre I slept on for a literally decades of my life, and only really discovered thanks to Eurovision stars the Common Linnets back in 2014-15. This one's the first of two entries for Little Big Town in the top 100 of the year. Within country crossover, I tend to prefer slow balldic songs with a bit of twang, good vocal harmonies, and crucially because I'm not that religious, not so many references to overt Christianity or whatever religion the singers adhere to. There's a surprising (to the uninitiated) amount of good material out there that ticks all those boxes, which was for me, a pleasant thing to discover. Lost in California's a midtempo song about running and running away, with some great elemental and nature imagery in there too. It lifts from the quartet's most recent release, The Breaker, and peaked just within the top ten towards the end of the year.

83) MARIAN HILL - WILD

A successful year for Marian Hill as, prompted by a song featured on an ad, they hit surprise mainstream success this year and just narrowly missed hitting the US top 20. Wild gives them a single entry in this year's top 100 tracks and was their highest peaker for me this year too, landing just outside my top 5 for a few weeks. It's the duo's third year running landing at least one song in my top 100 list, I've been a fan for a while, so I'm very happy to see them doing well. Hoping for some more collaborations from them in 2018, their Lauren Jauregui of Fifth Harmony duet earlier in the year was a welcome nice surprise that sadly didn't have the impact they probably were hoping for.

82) THE WEEKND ft. DAFT PUNK - I FEEL IT COMING

Released just at the end of 2016, this one didn't peak for me until this year and managed top ten for one week. The Weeknd has a long history on my charts dating back to 2012-13, long before he landed mainstream success (not to be too much of a hipster about it) and has always appealed to me with his combination of strong falsetto, great beats and production, and dark lyrical imagery. Having said that, latest album Starboy departs a little bit from that formula, and has been more of a mixed bag for me as a result. I Feel It Coming is the closest thing to a ballad from what I've heard from the album so far, and takes influence from Daft Punk who are credited as featured artists. Indeed, this wouldn't feel out of place on the duo's 2013 comeback album Random Access Memories. The Weeknd has one track yet to come this year, a step down from last year's countdown where he managed four lead and featured appearances.

81) PINK - WHAT ABOUT US

And finally for this section, the return of Pink after a very long time away from the charts and the world of releasing music. (Let's just all forget about that waterfall song with Sia) Even more so than The Weeknd, Pink has a huge history of being one of my top acts, her music getting me through some really tough times in my past too, she holds a special place in my heart. Her comeback single What About Us is a slight departure from the rock-influenced pop she usually delivers us, but it's not a change that doesn't work for her, and fittingly zoomed straight to the top of my charts back in the early autumn. She managed two more top 3s in 2017 (Revenge, and Beautiful Trauma), although due to the lateness of her album's release, neither will be making it in this time round. It's great to have Pink back though, a real role model and real top tier performer too, and having seen her live, she's no slouch in the vocal department either. Would 10/10 recommend, is she visiting the UK/Europe soon, I wonder?

+Quote Post
PeteFromLeeds
post Jan 23 2018, 07:23 PM
Post #13
   No Gallery Pics

Nice to see What About Us here! Really glad it did so well officially!

+Quote Post
Riser
post Jan 24 2018, 04:38 AM
Post #14
The horrors persist, but so do I
Member No.: 19,534

Plenty of faves here already, especially 'I Feel It Coming', 'Lost In California', and 'City Lights'! Interesting to read about how you got into country music, I loved 'Calm After The Storm' and would say that's a very worthy introduction. Have you checked out The Civil Wars, because that's the group the Common Linnets reminded me of most.

I will probably give 'Wild' a listen soon, having previously really liked 'Got It' and 'Down' from Marian Hill biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
J00prstar
post Jan 24 2018, 10:34 AM
Post #15
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(PeteFromLeeds @ Jan 23 2018, 07:23 PM) *
Nice to see What About Us here! Really glad it did so well officially!

Thanks! and the Miike Snow comparison wasn't one I'd thought of, but I totally see what you mean now smile.gif

QUOTE(Riser @ Jan 24 2018, 04:38 AM) *
Plenty of faves here already, especially 'I Feel It Coming', 'Lost In California', and 'City Lights'! Interesting to read about how you got into country music, I loved 'Calm After The Storm' and would say that's a very worthy introduction. Have you checked out The Civil Wars, because that's the group the Common Linnets reminded me of most.

I will probably give 'Wild' a listen soon, having previously really liked 'Got It' and 'Down' from Marian Hill biggrin.gif

Civil Wars, I know the name, but I don't know them, I'll have to look them out, cheers for the rec! Yeah Marian Hill are great eh. Thanks for commenting!

+Quote Post
J00prstar
post Jan 29 2018, 12:01 PM
Post #16
   No Gallery Pics

80) SAINT CLAIR - HEAVY ON MY HEART

2017 peak: #19

First up in this section, a more offbeat choice. This is Saint Clair's second song that I've come across following 2016's Sailing, and this one made a much bigger impact both on the weekly chsrts and here in the year-end. The best better known comparison I can think of for Saint Clair would be Jessie Ware. The song's a slowish midtempo with quiet acoustic verses and louder, synthy produced chorus hooks. This was never going to be a chart hit - it's not at all really the sound that's in at the minute - but I can see it doing fairly well if released circa ten years ago. It's always great, in any case, to discover a great tune by an up and coming artist. This is easy listening at its best.

79) DEJ LOAF - NO FEAR

2017 peak: #8

DeJ Loaf up next making her first solo appearance. The rapper branched out into singing this year and dropped this incredibly feelgood bop early last year. I'm reminded a bit of Keke Palmer with the sound of this one, and it's not too far from second album era Kelis either. Gotta love the Vanessa Carlton inspired video too. This is also on my BJSC potentials/backups list for 2018.

78) ALT-J - 3WW

2017 peak: #20

Alt-J made a much-anticipated comeback in 2017 but unfortunately it was a bit of a letdown considering the strength of their output so far. Although critical and commercial reaction to previous effort This Is All Yours was a little muted, the album spawned six top tens and a further top 20 charter on my personals, safe to say it was right up my street, if a bit of a slow burner. I'm still hoping the same will be the case for Relaxer, but so far outside of this track, the band have only scraped a few entries at the tail-end of the top 40 for me. Having said that, 3WW was a slow burner for me too, only peaking near the end of a multi-month chart run. This really hit me when I was delayed and left stranded at a train station in the middle of nowhere, the sound of the song in my ears went well with the milling people around and the light wind, and the general feeling of 'what will I do now?' A little strange, but it worked for me. The song also features the lead singer of Wolf Alice (uncredited), not quite as unorthodox a choice as the Miley Cyrus sample in their last lead single, but a fair effort.

77) SMALLPOOLS - MILLION BUCKS

2017 peak: #3

Back to BJSC for this one and this is where Jupiterdonia started off (after that first month where I misunderstood the rules...let's forget that happened). Originally coming in as an indie nation, we've chopped and changed a little over the last few months, picking up a mix of fans and detractors too, of course. I was personally surprised to see Smallpools, a band I knew as a 2014/15 one hit wonder, back with new music in 2017, as I've frequently checked to see if they had anything new out since their smash indie anthem Dreaming, and consistently been disappointed. Finding this one was a real unexpected gem. The bad also released an album towards the end of last year that I'll be needing to check out too. The energy in this one, just like in Dreaming (which I'd also recommend if you don't know it) is absolutely infectious.

76) NELLY FURTADO - MAGIC

And finally for this wee section, another slightly unexpected chart comeback this year for Nelly Furtado, five years after ill-fated effort The Spirit Indestructible which suffered from very poor mastering, leaving Nelly's vocal thin and exposed on many of the tracks that needed that not to be the case. Ten years ago, of course, Nelly was on top of the world, slaying charts on both sides of the Atlantic with addictive R&B-styled pop jams. So reinventing herself as an indie 'funk punk' (her words) queen in 2017 was a little left field. Nelly found herself landing four charters for me this year, #2-peaking lead single Cold Hard Truth, a feature with Blood Orange, Magic, here, and another yet to come. Magic was one that passed me by on first album listen, but ended up eventually hitting the top spot. It's probably the closest thing to classic Nelly Furtado circa I'm Like a Bird on the album, and it's admirable to see a singer go back to her roots so masterfully. The lyrics have a sweet and empowering message too about the same kind of thing which was pretty motivational for me this year as I worked through a few issues and challenges. Wow, Nelly!

This post has been edited by Jüpiter: Jan 29 2018, 12:02 PM

+Quote Post
PeteFromLeeds
post Jan 30 2018, 03:08 PM
Post #17
   No Gallery Pics

Million Bucks was one of your better BJSC entries - I really should give some of their other stuff a listen biggrin.gif

(and I've already forgotten what happened in your first BJSC month so no need to worry there tongue.gif)

+Quote Post
J00prstar
post Feb 1 2018, 05:34 PM
Post #18
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(PeteFromLeeds @ Jan 30 2018, 03:08 PM) *
Million Bucks was one of your better BJSC entries - I really should give some of their other stuff a listen biggrin.gif

(and I've already forgotten what happened in your first BJSC month so no need to worry there tongue.gif)

Cheers Pete wink.gif is that a shady remark on my BJSC entries?? tongue.gif

+Quote Post
J00prstar
post Feb 1 2018, 07:17 PM
Post #19
   No Gallery Pics

75) CARLY RAE JEPSEN - CUT TO THE FEELING

2017 peak: #5

Starting this section off with a bang with the only entry this year for the excellent Carly Rae Jepsen, three years now into her amazing and unexpected career resurgence. Cut to the Feeling was also the only tune she released in 2017, so she's one for one. Apparently this was one left on the cutting room floor from her Emotion album sessions, which I've heard mixed reactions to, but to be honest I can understand it, it's a slightly different sound and tempo to everything that made it in, so would have seemed a bit out of place and reserving it for another project was a wise choice. I liked this, but not as much as some of the tracks on Emotion, which is why it's ending the year with a fairly modest placing compared to the top 10s and 20s Carly's managed in 2015 and 16.

74) NELLY FURTADO - PARIS SUN

2017 peak: #24

A second for Nelly Furtado now giving her her most successful year since the Loose era, not bad for near ten years on. Surprisingly enough it's the #24-peaking Paris Sun that makes it in to join chart-topping Magic, rather than the #2-peaking Cold Hard Truth; this one did very well on trickle plays through the year, and that pre-chorus breakdown is just lush. Check out her latest album The Ride, it's a mixed bag, but some gems in there.

73) SAGE THE GEMINI - NOW AND LATER

2017 peak: #5

Well this was unexpected. I was aware of Sage the Gemini before 2017 - as a Dev fan (remember her?) - as he guested on one of her many attempts at a comeback back in 2014, but I didn't expect him to release anything like this three years later. This was I believe a moderate hit on the official charts too, but straight into my personal top 5. Instant party song with a bit of cheeky innuendo here, this was a real find for first quarter 2017.

72) LITTLE MIX - TOUCH

2017 peak: #14

Seven years into their music career this is only Little Mix's second year to land an entry in my top 100 tracks of the year. They've really come into their own in the last few years as pop queens and the UK's premier girlband, but they still feel a bit to me like they haven't quite had the all-round impact Girls Aloud did by this stage in their careers. Still, they're going from strength to strength, and unlike the latter, don't seem to have the interpersonal troubles that bring so many girlbands down. Stoked to see what they come out with for album #5. Touch for me was overshadowed a little by No More Sad Songs which I was still playing to death when it came out, so it took a little longer to connect with me, but it's a really solid, pure pop effort, and I'm glad to see the girls embracing a genre that lets them really shine and deliver some solid bops.

71) DEAF HAVANA - ST PAUL'S

2017 peak: #28

Deaf Havana, what a discovery this year. The band popped up on my radar for the first time in 2017 but have been around for a long time, delivering solid rock tracks across four albums and eight further EPs including my favourite subgroup of rock tracks, ballads and midtempos. St Paul's benefits from a late surge to become the one Deaf Havana track to make it in this year, zooming past #4-peaking Happiness just towards the end of the year. I feel this one suffers a bit from a not great title, though it probably has personal meaning to the band themselves or the songwriter. There's almost shades of Wake Me Up When September Ends here. Hoping for more from them and more similar rock/alt coming up again in 2018 after what feels like a decade of it being extremely fringe as a genre.

+Quote Post
J00prstar
post Feb 3 2018, 05:25 PM
Post #20
   No Gallery Pics

70) LORDE - SOBER

2017 peak: #11

Opening this next bunch is BuzzJack fan fave Lorde with her first of two entries this time around, her first charters proper since 2013. Lorde's sophomore album was a pleasant surprise, I had liked but not loved her previous work with the exception of the stellar Team, and also enjoyed some of her features - if you don't know Meltdown with Stromae, it's well worth a listen. Sober was Lorde's highest peaking charter throughout the year for me, but is outdone here by a lower placer that picked up a large amount of trickle plays throughout its chart run and since. Any guesses what it might be? You'll find out in ten or so posts' time.

69) BROOKE CANDY - VOLCANO

2017 peak: #12

Brooke Candy next with her annual entry. The rapper landed three charters in 2017, one belated from the previous year, as well as landing me a nice placing in BJSC's 100th anniversary edition. This is now Ms Candy's fourth year running landing a song in my top 100 of the year which is impressive stuff considering she doesn't release anything particularly often. Volcano brings together much of what defines Brooke, empowerment, a great beat and energy, and frankly, a touch of the grotesque and weird. Just a shame I can't send this one to BJSC too...

68) JOSEPH & MAIA - POURING LIGHT

2017 peak: #12

This one was my most recent Unknown Pleasures entry and although it drew some criticism for being boring at first compared to some of the more left-field picks, it also picked up some fans too come the final voting. Despite the Americana feel to this, Joseph and Maia are actually from New Zealand. Who knew? Their first album released fourth quarter last year and features a few more gems, particularly NYC which just charted for me this week in my first February chart of 2018.

67)LANA DEL REY ft. A$AP ROCKY - GROUPIE LOVE

2017 peak: #2

So far this is by far the more successful of the two Lana/Rocky collabs, though I'm feeling that Summer Bummer will sound much better come June or so this year. Lana's fourth charter of this list was her highest peaking pre-album release of 2017, and is a goregously slow burning midtempo a little removed from the likes of what she's put out on her last two, a real throwback gem.

66) SIA - MOVE YOUR BODY

2017 peak: #7

And lastly for this section, Sia's solo appearance of the year. (Shockingly, 'Waterfall' didn't make it in...) After a slew of hits last year Sia was a little quieter in 2017, notching up four top tens for me nonetheless, this, and three features including one from 2016. Move Your Body is pretty good, more in the spirit of Cheap Thrills than some of Sia's more emotional output the likes of Chandelier and The Greatest. With four to her name so far on my charts, Sia boasts the highest number of #2s, just missing out on four more chart toppers to add to Elastic Heart which topped the tree in 2015. Sia's last appearance and most recent appearance to date is of course on the delightfully zany Santa's Coming For Us, a track which turned out to be a lot less ominous than the title in isolation might suggest.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:05 PM