BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Truth, Cate Blanchett & Robert Redford
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
J❄️hq
post 2nd October 2015, 07:00 AM
Post #1
Group icon
my anxiety attacks
Pronouns: he/him
User: 8,674

Based on a true story from 2004 concerning George W Bush

There is a bit of umm'ing and aah'ing over whether Cate is going to get her Oscar nod for 'Carol' or this, with the former being a bit more tipped but personally from the trailers I prefer the look of this one.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
post 2nd October 2015, 09:01 AM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 19,931

Maybe she could get Oscar nominations for both? biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Joe.: 2nd October 2015, 09:01 AM

+Quote this post
J❄️hq
post 2nd October 2015, 01:18 PM
Post #3
Group icon
my anxiety attacks

Well she's lead in both and she can't appear twice in the same category tongue.gif

+Quote this post
Josh!
post 5th March 2016, 06:16 PM
Post #4
Group icon
c:
User: 20,692

I thought this was excellent and am realy quite shocked that it didn't get nominated for any Oscars. It's another compelling movie about journalism and I can understand why Spotlight was the more recognised of the two because it better in most ways (Topher Grace's Mark Ruffalo moment fell a bit flat after how good the latter's was for example) but it was still so interesting to see a journalist team work. The consequences of not fact-checking the sources were massive and it was really enthralling. You feel so bad for all the characters have such backlash, especially Mary Mapes who you really empathise for. If you liked Spotlight then I'm sure you'd like this too!

Shout out to Cate Blanchett for being one of the best living actresses too, she was phenomenal in this and had so much emotion. I probably preferred her in this to Carol which is saying something seeing as the latter was my favourite Female Lead performance at the Oscars last year. A real shame this didn't pick up more hype leading to it being overlooked at all the awards shows.

+Quote this post
J❄️hq
post 7th March 2016, 11:43 PM
Post #5
Group icon
my anxiety attacks

Even if Spotlight wasn't in the picture to compare it to I don't think this would be worthy of awards noms. I thought it was ok. Comparing it to Spotlight it wasn't as good in any aspect, the ensemble was nowhere near as good, I didn't find it as gripping/interesting and I don't think the story was as important to tell. I didn't sympathise with any of the characters really, they messed up.

I think Cate was nominated for the right thing, I preferred her performance in Carol.

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 25th April 2024, 04:35 PM