BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
13 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
This thread is locked.Create a new thread
> General Election 2017 - Part 2
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Brett-Butler
post May 31 2017, 05:12 PM
Post #1
Group icon
Howdy, disco citizens
User: 10,455
Hello everyone.

I've decided to close the original General Election topic as firstly it was getting quick large, but secondly I was not happy with the tone of the discussion that we were heading in. So going forward, when discussing the General Election, it would please me immensely if everyone could follow these guidelines -

1) No personal attacks on fellow members of Buzzjack.

I very much encourage the rigorous debates of the various political POSITIONS of those of us on Buzzjack within the News & Politics forum, but please do not resort to name calling, questioning the intelligence of other members of the forum, and various other ad hominem attacks on each other. It's great that there are people from different political perspectives debating the issues in this forum, as I believe it is important to a healthy society to both listen to opposing thoughts, as well as to challenge them, but play the ball, not the player. It's bringing the tone down of this forum, and it really is not very nice.

2) Please don't comment unless you have something substantial, interesting, or thought provoking to say.

I'm very proud of the substantive discussions we can have on this board around the issues, but please don't just come into a topic, say a few slogans, or just repeat the same thing over and over. It gets annoying.

and finally,

3) Please, NO NAZIS!

If we can avoid sliding into Godwin territory, I would much appreciate it. There's almost definitely no need to talk about the Nazis. Unless you're Ken Livingstone. Then you definitely shouldn't talk about the Nazis.

Please consider following these guidelines. Because if you don't I will be mildly irritated. And you wouldn't like me when I'm mildly irritated.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
vidcapper
post Jun 1 2017, 06:12 AM
Post #2
Group icon
Paul Hyett
User: 364
QUOTE(Yeasty Clutch @ May 31 2017, 05:33 PM) *
What a surprise.

I think you are usig excuses to vote for UKIp.

Paul Nuttall is the WORST of all of them by far. I'd have Mad May over him any day.

Firstly, I need no excuses to vote for UKIP - it's hardly a secret that I'm a big Brexit supporter.

Secondly, in FPTP I vote for individual candidates and/or parties, rather than party leaders, and since UKIP aren't going to win any seats, what difference does it make who their leader is?

+Quote this post
Brett-Butler
post Jun 1 2017, 06:20 PM
Post #3
Group icon
Howdy, disco citizens
We're starting to see the media endorsements coming in for next week's general election.

The Financial Times has backed the Conservatives, which given its ownership, isn't really that surprising.

The New Statesman has given its backing to Labour, once again not surprising given the paper's historic left-wing slant, although it has fallen short of endorsing Corbyn himself.

The most surprising endorsement however has come from The Economist, which has backed the Liberal Democrats, mainly due to its stance on Brexit, criticizing the Tories for their lunge towards a hard Brexit, and Labour due to Jeremy Corbyn's economic slant and his love of Chavez/Castro.

I'm going to take a punt and imagine there won't be many more surprises when it comes to endorsements.

+Quote this post
Steve201
post Jun 1 2017, 07:55 PM
Post #4
Group icon
Shakin Stevens
User: 5,138
I heard The Guardian is supporting the tories?!

+Quote this post
Botchia
post Jun 1 2017, 07:57 PM
Post #5
Group icon
I Drink Wine
User: 21,753
QUOTE(Steve201 @ Jun 1 2017, 08:55 PM) *

Surely not?!

+Quote this post
Brett-Butler
post Jun 1 2017, 07:57 PM
Post #6
Group icon
Howdy, disco citizens

I'd imagine The Morning Star would be more likely to endorse the Conservatives than the bleedin' Guardian!

Then again, stranger things have happened. The Sun endorsing Labour in '97, for example.

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post Jun 1 2017, 08:27 PM
Post #7
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed
User: 18,639
If the Guardian is owned by someone in the Elite, it would back a iamspamspamamisink over Corbyn to save them having to pay more tax!

+Quote this post
Brett-Butler
post Jun 1 2017, 08:34 PM
Post #8
Group icon
Howdy, disco citizens
QUOTE(Yeasty Clutch @ Jun 1 2017, 09:27 PM) *
If the Guardian is owned by someone in the Elite, it would back a iamspamspamamisink over Corbyn to save them having to pay more tax!

The Guardian is owned by a non-profit trust.

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post Jun 1 2017, 08:36 PM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,272
QUOTE(Brett-Butler @ Jun 1 2017, 08:57 PM) *
I'd imagine The Morning Star would be more likely to endorse the Conservatives than the bleedin' Guardian!

Then again, stranger things have happened. The Sun endorsing Labour in '97, for example.

The Sun (aka Murdoch) likes to back a winner. They were never likely to back a Tory party that was clearly heading for a massive defeat.

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post Jun 1 2017, 08:39 PM
Post #10
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

They have been very critical of Corbyn but they cannot afford the loss of readership that would follow an endorsement of the Tories (unless their argument was that the process of leaving the EU would destroy the party for a generation or more laugh.gif )

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
Post #11
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed
User: 18,639
I had a friend who worked as a journalist, but he gave it up to be a bodybuilder. Finally, he deleted me on FB when I asked why he and his team didn't train legs. Anyway, he said he would never recommend working as a journo because you have to overcome your principles. These journalista just echo the opinion of Murdoch like mouth piecea. Imagine going through years of training just to parrot propaganda!

+Quote this post
Brett-Butler
Post #12
Group icon
Howdy, disco citizens
I must say I'm enjoying The Daily Politics' features on some of the minor parties that are taking part in this year's general election. As well as some of the more well known minor parties, like the Liberal Party, the BNP, and the Monster Raving Loony Party, I was interested to learn that the SDP, the party that was formed by the "Gang of Four" in the 80s, and which later merged into the Lib Dems, is still running, and is standing in 6 constituencies in this election. Their logo is still very much still stuck in the 80s, could use a bit of updating.

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post Jun 1 2017, 08:46 PM
Post #13
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
QUOTE(Brett-Butler @ Jun 1 2017, 09:39 PM) *
I must say I'm enjoying The Daily Politics' features on some of the minor parties that are taking part in this year's general election. As well as some of the more well known minor parties, like the Liberal Party, the BNP, and the Monster Raving Loony Party, I was interested to learn that the SDP, the party that was formed by the "Gang of Four" in the 80s, and which later merged into the Lib Dems, is still running, and is standing in 6 constituencies in this election. Their logo is still very much still stuck in the 80s, could use a bit of updating.

Bearing in mind that Labour's then support for leaving the EU was one of the main reasons for the SDP breakaway, their choice of a former member of UKIP is interesting. Mind you, David Owen, one of the Gang of Four, backed Leave.

+Quote this post
Soy Adrián
post Jun 2 2017, 08:00 AM
Post #14
Group icon
I'm so lonely, I paid a hobo to spoon with me
User: 10,596
The SDP in has basically been taken over by former Kippers, at least in Sheffield.

Why are we even speculating whether the Guardian might endorse the Tories? The Lib Dems perhaps on the basis of their EU stance, but it's highly likely they'll back Labour despite their antipathy to Corbyn.

+Quote this post
Brett-Butler
post Jun 2 2017, 09:58 AM
Post #15
Group icon
Howdy, disco citizens
Well, it looks like the Tories are going to lose South Thanet.

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post Jun 2 2017, 10:54 AM
Post #16
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
We have a new contender for the best answer to a question by a party leader. The NME asked Jeremy Corbyn whether he preferred Blur or Oasis. His answer -

I'm going to plump for Oasis. But I know this will immediately divide the audience, so what I should have said was "I'll refer it to a focus group to decide", but I'm not keen on focus groups.

+Quote this post
vidcapper
post Jun 2 2017, 10:59 AM
Post #17
Group icon
Paul Hyett
QUOTE(Brett-Butler @ Jun 2 2017, 10:58 AM) *
Well, it looks like the Tories are going to lose South Thanet.

Why would they lose it - surely the UKIP vote will fall away (and a lot of that would be back to the Tories anyway)?

+Quote this post
vidcapper
post Jun 2 2017, 11:01 AM
Post #18
Group icon
Paul Hyett
QUOTE(vidcapper @ Jun 2 2017, 11:59 AM) *
Why would they lose it - surely the UKIP vote will fall away (and a lot of that would be back to the Tories anyway)?

OK, I've just seen the news, but it still begs the question of who else could win it?

+Quote this post
Soy Adrián
post Jun 2 2017, 12:05 PM
Post #19
Group icon
I'm so lonely, I paid a hobo to spoon with me
User: 10,596
Labour were competitive last time, so that's not inconceivable, but the UKIP vote falling should still deliver it for the Tories.

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post Jun 2 2017, 12:23 PM
Post #20
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 17,376
QUOTE(Suedehead2 @ Jun 2 2017, 11:54 AM) *
We have a new contender for the best answer to a question by a party leader. The NME asked Jeremy Corbyn whether he preferred Blur or Oasis. His answer -

If ever a party leader had an opportunity to genuinely hedge their bets it was that question! I woul;d have responded

"I love both of them in very different ways - Oasis for the swagger and major choons and Beatlesism, Blur for their Britpop inventiveness and versatility and major choons!"

+Quote this post

13 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
This thread is locked.Create a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 07:42 PM