BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
13 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
This thread is locked.Create a new thread
> General Election 2017 - Part 2
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Long Dong Silver
post 3rd June 2017, 11:13 AM
Post #41
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed
User: 18,639

QUOTE(Rooney @ Jun 3 2017, 12:02 PM) *
If we get rid of Trident we have to replace it with something else. The cost of running trident is minuscule in the grand scheme of things.

Also Corbyn forgets that Trident is a Labour policy and the Unions support it for good reason - manufacturing jobs.

It really isn't.

It does not need replacing.

If anything, use the money to stop armed forces cuts. In a war, Russia is highly unlikely to use nukes; it would just overwhelm the FOUR planes the island has. The end.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Rooney
post 3rd June 2017, 11:27 AM
Post #42
Group icon
WINTER IS COMING
User: 88

QUOTE(Willy @ Jun 3 2017, 12:13 PM) *
It really isn't.

It does not need replacing.

If anything, use the money to stop armed forces cuts. In a war, Russia is highly unlikely to use nukes; it would just overwhelm the FOUR planes the island has. The end.

I think the cost of running trident for a year is the equivalent to running the NHS for a week. In the event it was stopped, decommissioning the project would cost billions. But it's a moot point because it will never happen. Nobody wants to see a war, but Trident acts as a deterrent. Until the world decides to collectively get rid of their nuclear weapons (not going to happen) then disarmament is just very short sighted.

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post 3rd June 2017, 11:31 AM
Post #43
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed

If it is just a deterrent it is a moot point about using it or not, especially as, um, it has NEVER been used. Disarmament would actually make us saer from nuclear strike as we would be LESS OR A TARGET.

The UK armed forces are now tiny. The country voted for ireelevance, well 52% on the day anyway. It is done. There is no need for nukes. No one needs deterring anyway.

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 3rd June 2017, 11:45 AM
Post #44
Group icon
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
User: 12,929

QUOTE(vidcapper @ Jun 3 2017, 11:44 AM) *
I see no reason not to pursue him on an issue on which he is vulnerable - after all, surely you wouldn't want the media to go easy on May over say, the 'Dementia' tax...?

But he isn't. His stance is perfectly reasoned and is the stance that we should want politicians to take on that issue. Also it isn't a pressing issue, no nations are currently lining up to nuke us, social care is an issue.

+Quote this post
Klaus
post 3rd June 2017, 11:58 AM
Post #45
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦
User: 17,160

I don't want to be on this world if we ever get to the point where a PM has to press the nuclear button. For me, it is a moot point. I am in favour of the existence of Trident though, as whilst everyone else has their nuclear weapons, we need our own sign of deterrence.

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post 3rd June 2017, 11:59 AM
Post #46
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed

Who is everyone else? A handful of countries, two being old colonial powers that have no need.

+Quote this post
Rooney
post 3rd June 2017, 12:00 PM
Post #47
Group icon
WINTER IS COMING
User: 88

QUOTE(Willy @ Jun 3 2017, 12:31 PM) *
If it is just a deterrent it is a moot point about using it or not, especially as, um, it has NEVER been used. Disarmament would actually make us saer from nuclear strike as we would be LESS OR A TARGET.

The UK armed forces are now tiny. The country voted for ireelevance, well 52% on the day anyway. It is done. There is no need for nukes. No one needs deterring anyway.

Fair enough, people have their views and are entitled to them. At least neither of us are in the middle ground which is where politicians slip up. But it's not true no-one needs deterring. North Korea will happily use a nuclear bomb on South Korea.

QUOTE(Iz~ @ Jun 3 2017, 12:45 PM) *
But he isn't. His stance is perfectly reasoned and is the stance that we should want politicians to take on that issue. Also it isn't a pressing issue, no nations are currently lining up to nuke us, social care is an issue.

Perhaps not a pressing issue, but these are the types of questions that should be asked. May got grilled over her policies so it's only right Corbyn should be grilled as well. I thought they were brilliant questions to both party leaders.

+Quote this post
Liаm
post 3rd June 2017, 12:01 PM
Post #48
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!
User: 10,139

Just goes to show some of the lovely people who vote Tory, as they care more about nuking everyone than taking care of old people or children...

+Quote this post
Doctor Blind
post 3rd June 2017, 01:14 PM
Post #49
Group icon
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
User: 7,561

I do like the way the Conservatives keep talking about the fact there is no 'magic money tree'.. especially since their/Osborne's policy of QE over much of the past decade whereby the UK has created well over £300 billion of new money from effectively nothing (e.g. effectively a 'money tree') - at least Corbyn promotes using that money PRODUCTIVELY instead of driving the wealth inequality gap higher.

Also Craig Mackinlay whinging like a baby about the timing of the charge made by the CPS over election expenses fraud, when the election was called ON THE EXACT DAY that the police filed the investigation into the allegations. If you don't want to have a criminal prosecution in the middle of an election campaign may I controversially suggest not calling a snap election when one is likely to be ongoing you complete moron.

+Quote this post
PeaceMob
post 3rd June 2017, 01:16 PM
Post #50
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 21,342

Labour voters know Corbyn messed up BIG time over the nuclear deterrent question, many people watching the debate last night at home will think the same too. And also note Theresa May was the one talking about social care and improving the lives for people suffering with mental health, and not Corbyn.

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post 3rd June 2017, 01:26 PM
Post #51
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed

But they have been in power for years and made things a lot WORSE.

That utter plutocrat will do nothing of the sort.

They might be trying to take Labour policies and make thrm right wing lite, as the pendulum is swinging to the left again, finally, but that's it. At best.

And no. He answered well. That is the answer I want from my honest politicians. No nukes. Not now. Not ever. I bet you agreed with the orcs demanded people be nuked right then and there! Theyw ere all Tory plants you know.

+Quote this post
Steve201
post 3rd June 2017, 01:40 PM
Post #52
Group icon
Shakin Stevens
User: 5,138

Sure the big Yorkshire man who asked admitted in the first debate he would vote Tory! He looked like one of those idiot Tory Yorkshire men who drive round Emmerdale farm in their diesel guzzling land rovers who hates the eu for telling his farm not to pollute the environment!!

The girl afterwards was brilliant with her response to them!

+Quote this post
vidcapper
post 3rd June 2017, 01:59 PM
Post #53
Group icon
Paul Hyett
User: 364

QUOTE(Iz~ @ Jun 3 2017, 12:45 PM) *

I see you dodged the part about not taking it easy on May...

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post 3rd June 2017, 02:04 PM
Post #54
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed

The audience had Tory plantswho asked 30% of the auestions. QT is in its nature biased towards her.

+Quote this post
vidcapper
post 3rd June 2017, 02:07 PM
Post #55
Group icon
Paul Hyett

QUOTE(Willy @ Jun 3 2017, 03:04 PM) *
The audience had Tory plantswho asked 30% of the auestions. QT is in its nature biased towards her.

That makes no sense - if it *were* biased towards the Tories, then far more than 30% of questions would have been against Labour!

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 3rd June 2017, 02:15 PM
Post #56
Group icon

QUOTE(PeaceMob @ Jun 3 2017, 02:16 PM) *
Labour voters know Corbyn messed up BIG time over the nuclear deterrent question, many people watching the debate last night at home will think the same too. And also note Theresa May was the one talking about social care and improving the lives for people suffering with mental health, and not Corbyn.

Come again? Do most people want someone prepared to slaughter millions in charge? And Corbyn talked plenty about health and improving the lives of people, even while idiots were bringing it back to nuclear even though he's already answered it perfectly

QUOTE(vidcapper @ Jun 3 2017, 02:59 PM) *
I see you dodged the part about not taking it easy on May...

Like most newspapers have been doing, taking it super easy on her while taking every opportunity they can to brand Corbyn a traitor, yes? Besides I don't think that's the worst part of the Tory manifesto, it's a decent policy by their standards when explained. But if the outrage over that stops them implementing their more crazy bits I won't be sorry.

+Quote this post
vidcapper
post 3rd June 2017, 02:19 PM
Post #57
Group icon
Paul Hyett

QUOTE(Iz~ @ Jun 3 2017, 03:15 PM) *
Come again? Do most people want someone prepared to slaughter millions in charge? And Corbyn talked plenty about health and improving the lives of people, even while idiots were bringing it back to nuclear even though he's already answered it perfectly

People don't want a pacifist in control of their country's defence!

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 3rd June 2017, 02:31 PM
Post #58
Group icon

QUOTE(vidcapper @ Jun 3 2017, 03:19 PM) *
People don't want a pacifist in control of their country's defence!

And yet it's probably the best thing for defence. No country is going to attack us unprovoked and a pacifist will do nothing to provoke and everything to improve relations.

I'd say that's true everywhere in the West except for America.

+Quote this post
Liаm
post 3rd June 2017, 02:37 PM
Post #59
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!
User: 10,139

I howled at the girl who was like "you did a U-Turn on this and cba to debate the other leaders" and Theresa looked absolutely SNATCHED, for want of a better word but that one is so fitting at the moment.

+Quote this post
vidcapper
post 3rd June 2017, 02:52 PM
Post #60
Group icon
Paul Hyett

QUOTE(Iz~ @ Jun 3 2017, 03:31 PM) *
And yet it's probably the best thing for defence. No country is going to attack us unprovoked and a pacifist will do nothing to provoke and everything to improve relations.

No *country* perhaps, but that doesn't stop ISIS from plotting against us, and given Corbyn's record of sucking up to terrorists, I do *NOT* want him as PM!

+Quote this post

13 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
This thread is locked.Create a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 23rd April 2024, 10:49 PM