BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
6 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Melodifestivalen 2019 / heat four / Lidköping (23rd Feb)
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
LexC
post Feb 19 2019, 07:52 PM
Post #1
Group icon
Attack Dog/Sass Queen
User: 5,342

Last week not one but TWO Schlager-adjacent songs qualified directly proving conclusively that SCHLAGER WILL NEVER DIE! And for the third week in a row a boptastic number was left in fifth. Will we be making that four heats in a row? And will this years "chosen one" be a Mans Zelmerlow or a Mariette? Lets find out!

01 Pagan Fury - Stormbringer

Now there's always one token hard rock track in Melfest most years and they've not really done anything better than Andra Chansen at the absolute best for a good five years or so but this rabble look like they're bringing something with a bit more SPECTACLE than, say, Ammotrack (shudders). A quick delve into their previous work such as "La La Lej" or "Going To War" suggests that they know how to write good melodies as well. But will the Swedes go for something this "out there?"

02 Anton Hagman - Känner dig

Best known for being that twink that killed off Loreen in 2017's Andra Chansen, Anton Hagman is back and promising to bump off another one of our Scandi faves...or at least that's what everyone else though before to both Fooosters not even making the top 5 in their heats. Could the new equalised voting demographics be having a particular effect on the twinkpop boys whose support is largely concentrated in one single age group?

03 Lisa Ajax - Torn

Every buzzgay and 10 year old Swedish girl's favourite popstar with only three facial expressions Lisa Ajax is back to make it third time lucky and take the Melfest crown...or is she?There's two competing impulses with this track that will only be proven once the show is over. Either this was a last minute entrant after somebody pulled out and so it's been dumped in the middle of the show OR this is a really strong entry that Loreen was tempted to come back with and it's put in the 3rd position as a decoy. Which will be the truth and which will be fake news?

04 Arvingarna - I Do

Last week we had somebody try and succeed in making Jessica Andersson's lightning strike twice and in many ways this song is trying to make Rolandz happen twice only played a lot lot straighter (and "straight" really is the word). Arvingarna were originally formed as a kind of Schlager supergroup for Melfest 1993 where they won and got the ticket to perform in an old horseracing track in County Cork, Ireland in 1993 where they managed a very respectable top 10. Plus lead singer Casper Janebrink recently won the reality show "Stjärnornas stjärna" which, for all intents and purposes seems to be some kind of proto-X Factor All Stars so they're very much front and centre of the Swedish voting public's mind. Given Schlagers confirmed alive status and the ballad heavy content of this week's heat, I'd be strongly tipping this one to go through directly this week!

05 Bishara - On My Own

précis: another barely legal/illegal borderline twink born in 2003 is trying to make "the Frans thing" happen again.

06 Ann-Louise Hanson - Kärleken finns kvar

précis: some old bint singing a mournful dirge about some recently deceased old bint

07 John Lundvik - Too Late For Love

précis: "the chosen one" of 2019 might actually be the chosen one with something that starts slow and builds to a mid/uptempo

Schedule for the week:

Wednesday: The Press get their first plays of the weeks songs, their reviews will appearing on social media after 18:00 CET
Thursday: 1 minute clips of the studio versions and 30 second clips of the stage rehearsals will be uploaded
Friday: Dress Rehearsal for the final show, the "genrep" poll of audience members from the rehearsal crowd gets released, giving us a first clue as to what's going to be popular with the Swedish Public
Saturday: 20:00 CET The Show!
21:30 CET - all the direct qualifiers from heats 1, 2 and 3 get made publicly available along with all the songs from Heat 4
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
LexC
post Feb 19 2019, 11:30 PM
Post #2
Group icon
Attack Dog/Sass Queen
As usual, my very wrong predictions

DTF: Arvingarna, Lisa
AC: John, Bishara
5th: Pagan Fury
6th: Anton
7th: Ann-Louise

+Quote this post
LexC
post Feb 20 2019, 08:46 PM
Post #3
Group icon
Attack Dog/Sass Queen
APOLOGIES FOR THE DELAY - My internet connection is really not co-operating with me so far in 2019 and it succesfully killed off the much better commentaries I'd written for the last three but consider this disappointing ending the perfect lead in to Hanna & Liamoo winning in Friends Arena!

Hope you've enjoyed this year's write ups/previews - I know I didn't have as much time to devote to them as last year and this'll never match the original Dark Mother Qassandra but I know we like to treat melfest with a sense of grandeur that it maybe no longer quite deserves in these parts so I hope they've helped ease your transition from winter to spring even if just a little.

+Quote this post
Liаm
post Feb 20 2019, 08:50 PM
Post #4
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!
User: 10,139
Gonna take a punt and stick my neck out with:

DTF Bishara, Lisa
AC John, Arvingarna
5th Anton
6th Pagan Fury
7th Ann-Louise

Probably being optimistic for Lisa DTF and John underperforming but I could see this.

+Quote this post
AdamAloud
post Feb 20 2019, 09:01 PM
Post #5
Group icon
I was born 7 million years ago in Sweden, Africa
User: 11,955
Tack for the write-ups Lex!

You know I think I'm most excited for Pagan Fury this week. It's not been a great year though but I remain OPTIMISTIC for our last deltavling.

+Quote this post
RobBot
post Feb 20 2019, 11:43 PM
Post #6
Group icon
I'm in a vewy bad mood, Bwadley.
User: 7,117
Here for my favourite song crashing out again.

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post Feb 21 2019, 01:09 AM
Post #7
Group icon
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
User: 12,929
If Pagan Fury end up in 5th...

I’m very excited to hear their song this week, and excellent jobs with the write ups lex, they’ve been great for at least letting me know who everyone is.

+Quote this post
Martyn
post Feb 21 2019, 10:16 AM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 66
Probably won't be here live for this heat. Drunk catch up at midnight could happen.

+Quote this post
J❄️hq
post Feb 21 2019, 11:59 AM
Post #9
Group icon
my anxiety attacks
User: 8,674
QUOTE(Iz~ @ Feb 21 2019, 01:09 AM) *
If Pagan Fury end up in 5th...

Don’t be silly - that position has been reserved for the best songs!

I know this Melfest has been unpredictable but I think Lisa beating John is only going to happen in gay dreams. Like Jon Henrik, I think he has broad appeal to more than just teenage girls so it won’t be an Oscar or Omar situation - going into Melfest this year I would have had them down as the two safest bets for DTF.

+Quote this post
RobBot
post Feb 21 2019, 12:55 PM
Post #10
Group icon
Yeah, post-hearing anything predictions of:

DTF: John, Arvingarna
AC: Bishara, Lisa
5th: Anton
6th: Ann-Louise
7th: Pagan Fury

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post Feb 21 2019, 01:37 PM
Post #11
Group icon
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
User: 12,929
Stormbringer has melody and everything mad.gif Sounds even better than their other stuff and not even that much rock (as expected, their only real THING is the medieval aesthetic).

That said, Arvingarna *.*

+Quote this post
LexC
post Feb 21 2019, 01:47 PM
Post #12
Group icon
Attack Dog/Sass Queen
I can totally imagine ‘Torn’ as a Loreen song, mucho gusto!

+Quote this post
RobBot
post Feb 21 2019, 01:48 PM
Post #13
Group icon
Snippets reaction:

Pagan Fury - This has a VERY strong chorus that will help to bring it out of only appealing to a rock audience, it's kind of hard to tell how this is going to fare. It sounds equally like an AC placer as it does something that could finish last but it certainly won't be because they haven't brought something melodically great if the latter comes to fruition.

Anton Hagman - This isn't bad but it doesn't sound as catchy and memorable as Kiss You Goodbye, but it also transcends being something that is purely Shawn Mendes teen fodder. The acoustic nature could appeal to a wider audience but my head says this is now more likely to follow in Oscar and Omar's footsteps.

Lisa Ajax - This sounds very promising, I don't think we've heard what it's going to build to yet either. I'm not sure whether she'll suffer from Wiktoria already sitting in the final with a ballad that isn't hugely different. I think her vocals sound better than Wiktoria though and if this builds in an 'Undo' fashion the way I sense it's going to, I think this could be fantastic. My feeling doesn't break past AC again for her though.

Arvingarna - It'd be foolish to rule them out sitting in the Rolandz slot with a Heat 4 billing. It's got a lot of charm to it, it's extremely "Swedish" for lack of a better descriptor and I think this is going to strongly challenge for DTF. It's not comedic, just a really good retro throwback with a 60s Foundations kind of touch to it. Even for people who don't tend to sway towards the more retro entries in Melodifestivalen will probably find themselves foot tapping to this, it's undeniably a bop.

Bishara - I mean, to me, getting past his voice is quite a challenge but probably a wet dream for Joseph. I pray this doesn't make it to DTF though because it sounds wet as hell, anyone who tried to reach for some kind of early Jackson 5 comparison in the lead up to this is honestly miles away. This is a very by-numbers talent show kind of number but in terms of power, he does have a vocal that I could imagine would both appeal to the younger audience, and leave mums at home going "aww hasn't he got a great voice for a 15 year old?" I'm worried about this but I'm not worried about it winning Frans-style after hearing it because it's definitely not individual or strong enough for that imo.

Ann-Louise - This is an air of beauty in it, both Ann and Arja steered clear of delivering the Charlotte/Pernilla dead in the water dull ballad. I don't think it's going anywhere and it's certainly dated but much like how I felt about Arja, it's certainly got a wealth of charm behind it. Cute, but certainly not going past 6th.

John Lundvik - It's certainly less "X Factor winner" ballad than My Turn as it picks up the pace, so if it won, I don't think it'd necessarily tap directly into Michael Rice's box, choir aside. I still don't think it sounds winner enough and I think Hanna/LIAMOO have this in the bag in terms of drama. There's the potential of a big last chorus here though, I feel, I'm certain of it doing DTF though.

+Quote this post
Aaron.
post Feb 21 2019, 02:07 PM
Post #14
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 3,245
Pagan Fury: This is the type of stuff I like, and I'm glad they have something strong opening this dreadful heat. However, this is the very basic of basic "Rock". They aren't going to do any better than 6th are they?
Anton Hagman: Is this the same guy that took out Loreen a few years back? How? This is painfully basic and isn't even close to his previous song. I thought this dude was pegged to be the nu Shawn Mendez? What happened to that?
Lisa Ajax: Haunting, Beautiful.. but dreadfully boring. I don't see how this is going to translate on stage in a song competition. I think based on name alone she could do well.. but this doesn't sit well with me.
Arvingarna: OMG. There is usually one non-english song that I love every year. This is it. So good! However, I read yesterday they're not even all singing tomorrow?
Bishara: What is the minimum age for Melodifestivalen? They should at least ensure that the people competing have gone through puberty. This is offensively terrible.
Ann-Louise Hanson: Cute, something has to come last tho.
John Lundvik: Soo basically we have a Wiktoria vs John final this year? This sounds great and I'm sure with a dramatic performance he will EASILY go DTF. Everything else this year is horribly weak, so I think it's between Wiktoria and John.

+Quote this post
gooddelta
post Feb 21 2019, 02:19 PM
Post #15
Group icon
Hello?
User: 116
John's sounds the best to me based on the clips, but Lisa and Pagan Fury sound good too. Arvingarna sound fun and Ann-Louise's song sounds quite nice.

Anton's left no impression on me and Bishara sounds like an S Club Juniors ballad or something...so dated.

+Quote this post
J❄️hq
post Feb 21 2019, 02:41 PM
Post #16
Group icon
my anxiety attacks
User: 8,674
Lisa sounds like one of the most promising clips of the year to me and it sounds more instant than Wiktoria’s song based on one minute.

I hope he isn’t going to win the whole thing but John’s song at least sounds better than “My Turn”.

+Quote this post
Jerick
post Feb 21 2019, 08:12 PM
Post #17
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 6,716
I don't think Arvingane is that safe through from this heat. I am pretty sure John and Lisa will go DTF. Not sure about Pegan Fury, but after listening to the 1 minute clip, this is now my favourite in mf 2019.

DTF: John, Lisa
AC: Arvingarna, Pegan Fury
5th: Anton
6th: Bishara
7th: Ann-Louise

+Quote this post
Liаm
post Feb 21 2019, 08:51 PM
Post #18
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!
User: 10,139
Torn sounds great!! If it builds, this could be my fave of this Melfest easily. Clinging onto hope she can go DTF, I can see this being my fave of the year if she pulls it off live but I hope her and Wiktoria don't split the vote with similar songs and both come like 8th drama.gif

As for the rest:

On My Own: good f***ing GOD his voice rotf.gif That's actually insufferable. The song sounds quite dated and "this'll do" too,
Too Late For Love: my AC prediction was definitely too hopeufl, this feels like just the by numbers just about tolerable pleasant enough male pop Sweden would choose to win...
Kanner dig: this has far less going for it than the likes of I Love It and Om om och om igen so shouldn't trouble AC, but who knows.
Stormbringer: something different, Melfest needed that this year, not bad at all!!
Karlaken finns kvar: exactly what I thought it would be, pretty obviously last laugh.gif
Arvingarna: not my thing really but catchy enough and can't see this missing at least AC

Revised prediction:

DTF John, Lisa
AC Bishara, Arvingarna
5th Anton
6th Pagan Fury
7th Ann-Louise

+Quote this post
Aaron.
post Feb 21 2019, 09:14 PM
Post #19
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 3,245
30 Second Rehearsal Clips are out...

Pagan Fury: Adore this, simple performance but 10x better than most we have seen this year.
Anton Hagman: Actually a good, interesting performance by the looks of it, shame he entered with such a shit song. Looking tasty too.
Lisa Ajax: Actually sounds like a ripper of a song, but her rehearsal completely lacks any emotion. She's just singing. She needs to change this on the date. Take a note from Wiktoria gurl.
Arvingarna: Really, really love the song.. shit performance. So basic. Been done before.
Bishara: IS SWEDEN ACTUALLY BEING SERIOUS RIGHT NOW THIS IS UTTER GARBAGE HE CAN'T EVEN SING OMGGGGG
Ann-Louise Hanson: No need to really comment is there?
John Lundvik: Should read 'John Lundvik featuring These Other People' no song should ever be released where an artist relies that much on their backup singers. But, serious contender to win.

+Quote this post
nickthenoodle
post Feb 22 2019, 09:45 AM
Post #20
Group icon
livin' legend you can look but don't touch
User: 4,844
Pagan Fury has really excited me! Can’t wait to hear it in full. Not too bothered by anything else from the clips and rehearsals but obviously will reserve judgement until Saturday.

+Quote this post

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 08:15 AM