BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
25 Pages V  « < 19 20 21 22 23 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> FSR Rontvia National Thread 3.0, 164: Sophie Straat & Metropole Orkest - Gebroken Spiegels
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
gooddelta
post 10th January 2021, 01:37 PM
Post #401
Group icon
Hello?
User: 116

Ambient beauty kicks off 2021

We unexpectedly rounded off 2020 the way it began, finishing on the podium in third place courtesy of Stranger Love by Capulets. So naturally we start the year with a complete change of direction, and head back over to Germany and the chilled stunner Gebirgsbachtürkis by Thomas Lemmer & Christoph Sebastian Pabst.

Ricardo Delta explains the choice: "2021 has began just as chaotic as the whole of 2020 ended up being. Therefore Rontvians have turned to a lot of calming, chillout music of late to help them unwind and relax. Gebirgsbachtürkis, which translates as 'mountain stream turquoise', has been the biggest beneficiary of this trend, soaring straight to No.1 this week in FSR Rontvia with the track dominating the airwaves.

"A deep house production with neo-classical influences, driving analogue synthesizer sequences and a touching vocal melody, the beautiful track is in some ways inspired by current host Land of DW's winner last month, which FSR Rontvia awarded its full 18 points to. This piece is much more laidback, ambient and downtempo than Wetlands, however, but like that song it employs a rejuvenating piano topline and also has a music video with a stunning landscape. The haunting opening strings in the song almost remind us of the wonderful Massive Attack, we're proud to be able to share this entry and we hope it finds some fans."

Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
gooddelta
post 14th February 2021, 09:32 PM
Post #402
Group icon
Hello?

Alba August lights up BJSC 132

Following 27th place last month for ambient stunner Gebirgsbachtürkis by Thomas Lemmer & Christoph Sebastian Pabst, Danish-Swedish singer Alba August has been chosen as the 132nd Rontvian BJSC entry and will represent the nation in Danæviia this month with the epic pop song Lights. Alba is an actress as well as a singer and has starred in Danish language Netflix series The Rain. Her new single, Lights was released in January and was immediately pounced on by the RTVN, who immediately added it to the a-list of the RTVN1 radio and music television playlists.

Ricardo Delta explains the choice: "As Eurovision season begins we often end up in more of a pop mood than at other times of the year, and Lights we feel sounds like a potential Eurovision winner - indeed, we were surprised it wasn't snapped up by Melodifestivalen or Dansk Melodi Grand Prix as it could have been a real force in the contest. Lights is a classic Rontvian entry packed with the type of lyrical light and shade, melodic drama, thundering drums and sweeping strings that Scandipop does best.

"Alba is a real talent, she co-wrote Lights herself and recently peformed it live for the first time, belting the huge chorus out with impressive power. The song instantly debuted at No.1 in FSR Rontvia three weeks ago and has remained there since - we have everything crossed for this one!"

This post has been edited by gooddelta: 28th February 2021, 03:28 PM

+Quote this post
awardinary
post 14th February 2021, 11:09 PM
Post #403
Group icon
Here to play, here to stay
Pronouns: he/him
User: 21,587

Greetings FSR Rontvia! hi.gif

I’m not too familiar with your music tastes or your former entries, but I will take notice this time around, not just because we are in the same Semi Final, but also because I want to make new discoveries! Ok so I have your song playing as I type this message and it’s definitely giving me vibes of London Grammar mixed with Florence + The Machine, to use two popular names in music. This could be a real grower actually. I don’t always seek out this type of music, but when it’s done right it can be a joy to listen to, and this has potential to do well I think! I listened right to the end. wink.gif

Wishing your prosperous nation an enjoyable 132nd contest. Sending love from Zanmatony! heart.gif

+Quote this post
gooddelta
post 15th February 2021, 09:25 AM
Post #404
Group icon
Hello?

Greetings Zanmatony! And thanks for the message, it's great to see you back in the competition.

Yes true, this entry definitely has some Florence-esque tones to it, especially in the chorus.

Wishing you all the best on your return too, hope you have a great contest! biggrin.gif

+Quote this post
Qween
post 15th February 2021, 11:25 AM
Post #405
Group icon
Schlagerdrottningen
User: 11,709

She has a gorgeous tone to her voice, like a mix of Lana and Florence. I don't think I've heard a bad song called Lights yet.

+Quote this post
gooddelta
post 15th February 2021, 11:41 AM
Post #406
Group icon
Hello?

QUOTE(Qween @ Feb 15 2021, 11:25 AM) *
She has a gorgeous tone to her voice, like a mix of Lana and Florence. I don't think I've heard a bad song called Lights yet.

I was thinking the same r.e. Lights as a title earlier on! Agreed, she's very much in Lana territory in the verses and Florence in the chorus. I'm quite surprised this one slipped under the blog radar, even Scandipop hasn't featured it ohmy.gif

This post has been edited by gooddelta: 15th February 2021, 11:42 AM

+Quote this post
Qween
post 15th February 2021, 11:52 AM
Post #407
Group icon
Schlagerdrottningen

Scandidpop have been quite weird of late with what they do/don't feature! Either way, it sounds like Rontvia are onto something good.

+Quote this post
gooddelta
post 13th March 2021, 09:18 AM
Post #408
Group icon
Hello?

Could have supported us when we retire...

Following a brilliant 9th place finish last month for Lights by Alba August, FSR Rontvia is staying in Scandinavia for 133 in Altyr but is this time dipping into the vaults. Hello Saferide are a Swedish indie-pop band fronted by Annika Norlin and Anna was released in 2008 as part of the band's top three album (in Sweden) More Modern Short Stories from Hello Saferide. While Anna also charted inside the top 50 in Sweden, it has left behind a legacy longer than its chart peak would suggest.

Ricardo Delta takes up the entry choice: "Anna is one of those songs that has always been on our radar for BJSC, and one that we have frequently come back to since its release now 13 years ago. As we get older the lyrics seem to make more and more sense, the charming and fanciful tale about a longed-for daughter taking a rather heartbreaking twist at the end. Lyrically it's probably one of our favourite songs we've ever sent but the song is also gorgeous musically, an indie-pop strummer with a fantastic guitar breakdown in the middle while Annika's beautiful voice carries the fun and then stark emotion of the track. The video will also charm and break you in equal measure.

"Following mass national media coverage about the long overdue selection of Anna as our entry, the song re-entered the Rontvian Spotify chart at No.2 this week, just behind the unexpected No.1, Behöver inte dig idag by Melodifestivalen finalist and newcomer Clara Klingenström. It is probably no coincidence that Clara leading us down into a wonderful Swedish indie-pop rabbit hole has led to us entering a classic song from the genre to BJSC..."

+Quote this post
gooddelta
post 13th April 2021, 09:19 PM
Post #409
Group icon
Hello?

Right here...right now

Following a DNQ last month when an old favourite sadly got a rather tumbleweed reaction, we have come straight back to 2021 for BJSC 134 in Mosquetania but have stayed with Sweden, with Stockholm-based artist and producer ishi vu's new single This is your Life. Taken from his debut album La Luz, which is released at the end of the month and is already top of the pre-orders chart in FSR Rontvia, the track is a near-six minute hypnotic electro tune with pop influences.

The WithGuitars blog described the track as "charting a course between electronic experimentation and the dark echoes of 1980s post-rock" and "a vivid and poignant distillation of club culture into something familiar, temporarily distant, but fresh".

Its release follows ishi vu's recent guest mix for Bicep and the track has already received airplay from Steve Lamacq on BBC Radio 6 Music.

The RTVN's Ricardo Delta said: "The very first time we heard This is your Life, we were so impressed. The initial 'right here, right now' sample is of course instantly familiar due to its use in the Fatboy Slim classic and the song's almost oriental melody over a building electronic beat with plenty of synths, cute vocal samples and drum breaks also reminded us of one of our other favourite artists from the last few years, DJ Sabrina The Teenage DJ. The track has been at No.1 in FSR Rontvia for the last three weeks and despite being drawn in what looks like another highly competitive semi, we are very excited about this entry!"

+Quote this post
Harve
post 19th April 2021, 05:31 PM
Post #410
Group icon
Cœur poids plume
User: 4,718

omg!!!

This does indeed remind me of Sabrina the Teenage DJ which happens to be my favourite entry of yours in the last few years.

+Quote this post
Brer
post 19th April 2021, 05:38 PM
Post #411
Group icon
is my brain across your walls?
User: 8,300

I'm loving this one as well - FSR going in the underground dance bag seems to be quite a winning formula between this and Sabrina <3

+Quote this post
Doctor Blind
post 22nd April 2021, 04:47 PM
Post #412
Group icon
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
User: 7,561

Fully backing you for the win on this Rich - even tho it will make me regret even more leaving it on my potentials list !

Maybe it is payback for The Naked & Famous in 2010. tongue.gif

+Quote this post
gooddelta
post 22nd April 2021, 04:55 PM
Post #413
Group icon
Hello?

QUOTE(Harve @ Apr 19 2021, 06:31 PM) *
omg!!!

This does indeed remind me of Sabrina the Teenage DJ which happens to be my favourite entry of yours in the last few years.

QUOTE(Bré @ Apr 19 2021, 06:38 PM) *
I'm loving this one as well - FSR going in the underground dance bag seems to be quite a winning formula between this and Sabrina <3

QUOTE(Doctor Blind @ Apr 22 2021, 05:47 PM) *
Fully backing you for the win on this Rich - even tho it will make me regret even more leaving it on my potentials list !

Maybe it is payback for The Naked & Famous in 2010. tongue.gif

The hyyyype <3 thank you all for the love.

DJ Sabrina missed the top ten, for all the love it had at the time and has continued to have since (she has released so many other bangers since then too wub.gif), so I’m not sure whether to expect much more from this but obviously I’m glad it’s connected with so many people - or in Doctor Blind’s case already had a big fan. I absolutely adore these sample heavy lo-fi style electronic songs, they sound so contemporary but nostalgic at the same time.

+Quote this post
jakewild
post 25th April 2021, 12:54 PM
Post #414
Group icon
not 152chris (☻‿☻)
User: 2,790

this is magical rich, what a discovery. SUBLIME wub.gif

+Quote this post
gooddelta
post 26th April 2021, 11:24 AM
Post #415
Group icon
Hello?

Glad to have you on board Jake <3

+Quote this post
awardinary
post 26th April 2021, 11:52 AM
Post #416
Group icon
Here to play, here to stay
Pronouns: he/him
User: 21,587

Hey FSR Rontvia, sorry I didn’t send my usual greeting to you this contest but once again I’m very pleased to see you in a final and I was glad to be able to award you something for a good job done! Sorry I can’t be represented with you this time round, but maybe next time! smile.gif

+Quote this post
✖ leww ✖
post 28th April 2021, 09:36 AM
Post #417
Group icon
escape in the taste of summerrrrrr
User: 9,403

Rich this is great! Your dance finds are always *chefs kiss*

+Quote this post
gooddelta
post 28th April 2021, 10:12 AM
Post #418
Group icon
Hello?

QUOTE(awardinary @ Apr 26 2021, 12:52 PM) *
Hey FSR Rontvia, sorry I didn’t send my usual greeting to you this contest but once again I’m very pleased to see you in a final and I was glad to be able to award you something for a good job done! Sorry I can’t be represented with you this time round, but maybe next time! smile.gif

Thanks for the comment Wardy, hope to see you back in the final next time!

QUOTE(✖ leww ✖ @ Apr 28 2021, 10:36 AM) *
Rich this is great! Your dance finds are always *chefs kiss*

Thanks Leww heart.gif

+Quote this post
gooddelta
post 11th May 2021, 09:50 AM
Post #419
Group icon
Hello?

A Self Esteem boost for 135

Following a fantastic and quite unexpected bronze medal finish in the last contest for ishi vu's wonderful This Is Your Life, FSR Rontvia has done another genre flip back to soul/indie/pop/poetry (??) and called on Sheffield artist Rebecca Lucy Taylor (formerly of Slow Club), who goes under the moniker Self Esteem, for BJSC 135 in FARC (semis hosted by Aeroche). Her new single I Do This All The Time stood out immediately on first listen and went straight in at No.1 in the Rontvian Spotify and airplay charts.

Ricardo Delta from the RTVN takes up the story: "'Wow' was the overriding emotion we felt when we first heard I Do This All The Time. May/June often leaves us in quite a reflective mood, with my own birthday and the Eurovision Song Contest regularly leading us down memory lane and feeling quite nostalgic during the early summer months. This can be seen in a few of our entries from this time of year over the last few - namely North Circular by Real Lies and To Feel Good by Swim Deep.

"I Do This All The Time is cut from a similar cloth as the latter, but with a touch of Baz Luhrman's Everybody's Free (To Wear Sunscreen) as Self Esteem delivers spoken verse monologues to both herself and anybody else that might need the support with some rather biting honesty - "it's like when I go to your birthday drinks to congratulate you on being the age I already thought you were - or not, I dunno, it's a miracle I've rembered at all" and the very Suncreen-esque second verse which includes the brilliant lyric "prioritise pleasure, don't send those long paragraph texts, stop it - don't'".

"All of this is surrounded by the beautiful, euphoric and uplifting sung chorus, and this is before the spellbinding strings kick in for the stunning final minute as Rebecca looks positively to the future after proclaiming "it was really rather miserable trying to love you".

Fans should also check out Self Esteem's brilliant 2019 album Compliments Please, which is decidedly more poppy than this track but equally as brilliant.

This post has been edited by gooddelta: 11th May 2021, 10:02 AM

+Quote this post
Qween
post 11th May 2021, 01:03 PM
Post #420
Group icon
Schlagerdrottningen

I came across this earlier in the week and knew someone would send it - it's not usually my sort of thing but it's definitely distinctive (in a good way!) and I quite like it.

+Quote this post

25 Pages V  « < 19 20 21 22 23 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 27th April 2024, 08:26 PM