BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Libyan Refugees, drown or actually do something?
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Popchartfreak
post Apr 19 2015, 08:04 AM
Post #1
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 17,376
I've lately heard comments among people I know, and not much in the media in terms of a positive response from politicians towards the boatloads of drowning Libyan refugees.

"let them drown, it'll stop them coming over here and sponging off us" is the main attitude as far as I can see.

Just to remind anyone with that attitude that it was the West who agreed to remove the previous leader, carried out a bombing campaign and assisted the forces of so-called democracy, and then left leaving a political and social vacuum with a hands-up "your problem mate, we've done our bit."

My question is, should the eurozone be now morally obliged to do it's utmost to help refugees, or is the rich west free to do whatever it likes anywhere in the world to suit it's own purposes and not worry about consequences? Loaded question obviously....
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Brett-Butler
post Apr 19 2015, 04:25 PM
Post #2
Group icon
Howdy, disco citizens
User: 10,455
There is no doubt that both Britain and the Eurozone needs to do something. There are thousands of refugees, many of them escaping religious persecution in Libya and Syria, who are willing to give up everything they have, and even risk their own lives, in the hope of finding a better home. I believe that there is a moral duty for the whole of Europe to allow safe passage to those who are fleeing. As is my understanding, many thousands of the migrants are in Italy after crossing the Med, and I think that the rest of Europe, including Britain and Ireland, should grant asylum to as many of those people who want to come and live here.

The worst thing about this whole business is the fact that so far this year, 900 people have already been killed crossing this year, with even more killed the year before making the crossing, yet not one political party has put their plight on their manifesto, have mentioned it in any of the debates (correct me if I'm wrong - I have the feeling that Natalie Bennett might have mentioned it in passing) or even seemed to acknowledge their existance until a few days ago, and press coverage has been scant despite the masses of people killed. The ironic thing was until Katie Hopkins opened her gob and penned that nauseating, horrific, inhuman piece (which I should point out, is more or less spelling out what the current British policy is towards those migrants i.e let them drown), it didn't seem to command any wider attention. I'm not going to go into the ins and out about why so many people had to wait until a noxious journalist showed her opposition to this before they started caring, but now that the wider world, and every major news organization has opened their eyes to the horrifying reality of those migrants making the crossing, I'm glad that she did.

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post Apr 19 2015, 06:08 PM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,272
This is what happens when Farage and the Daily Mail are allowed to dictate policy. Polls tell us that Cameron is seen as a strong leader. He is not strong at all. He just does what the Mail tells him to do. When Cameron dies, this should be his legacy. After all, the UK was instrumental in driving through this change in policy. I described the policy at the time as "Let them drown." I have been proved correct in the worst possible way.

The governments justification for this despicable policy is that it would discourage potential immigrants from trying to cross the Med. Clearly, the policy hasn't worked. It must be changed immediately.

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post Apr 19 2015, 09:58 PM
Post #4
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed
User: 18,639
Oops, loaded question.

The West helped in the civil war with the rebels, but the aftermath isn't its fault - it helped the people get what they wanted, freedom from the dictator.

+Quote this post
crazy chris
post Apr 21 2015, 08:12 AM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 53
QUOTE(popchartfreak @ Apr 19 2015, 09:04 AM) *
I've lately heard comments among people I know, and not much in the media in terms of a positive response from politicians towards the boatloads of drowning Libyan refugees.

"let them drown, it'll stop them coming over here and sponging off us" is the main attitude as far as I can see.

Exactly what I've heard most people say and you can't blame Farage and others for whipping up hysteria. People born here are just fed up of the whole world trying to come here.

This post has been edited by Common Sense: Apr 21 2015, 08:14 AM

+Quote this post
Qassändra
post Apr 21 2015, 11:14 AM
Post #6
Group icon
DROTTNING!
User: 480
QUOTE(Common Sense @ Apr 21 2015, 09:12 AM) *
Exactly what I've heard most people say and you can't blame Farage and others for whipping up hysteria. People born here are just fed up of the whole world trying to come here.

You bloody well *can* blame Farage and others for whipping up hysteria. People are fleeing for their lives. That's a bit of a different matter from someone coming over here to work.

And it isn't the whole world trying to come here either. Have you met a single Libyan refugee? No, because the vast majority that make it across get to Italy and stay there.

+Quote this post
Kath
post Apr 29 2015, 06:35 PM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 2,980
QUOTE(Common Sense @ Apr 21 2015, 09:12 AM) *

Farage is just a hate-monger. Full stop! The Libyan refugees aren't trying to 'get here' they're trying to 'flee Libya'. If I was there right now - I'd be doing my best to get the hell out of there. To be honest - I have nothing but admiration for them. To risk life and limb and face a sea journey of thousands of miles in something that only resembles a boat - you have to be truly desperate. I get the shakes at the thought of getting on the Isle of Man ferry!

If the 'man on the street' thinks that Farage is his friend - then the man on the street is an idiot!

This post has been edited by Kath: Apr 29 2015, 06:36 PM

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post Apr 29 2015, 07:19 PM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,272
Most of the refugees are not Libyan. They have already had a treacherous journey from their own country to reach Libya in the first place.

+Quote this post
Kath
post Apr 29 2015, 07:24 PM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 2,980
QUOTE(Suedehead2 @ Apr 29 2015, 08:19 PM) *
Most of the refugees are not Libyan. They have already had a treacherous journey from their own country to reach Libya in the first place.

Wherever they've come from - they must be desperate to get away from wherever they are.

The whole world is a shit place to be though I suppose.

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 06:11 PM