BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> Personal Charts

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Jupiter's Top 40 so far this month 06, up to 15/09, with interesting video links and writeup
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
J00prstar
post 16th September 2016, 07:33 PM
Post #1
Group icon
there's nothing straight about plump Elvis
Pronouns: they/any
User: 22,895

Dev's new single lives up to its name, ascending to the top spot in her third week on the chart. Empire of the Sun chase close behind at #2, while Tinashe rises to #3 with SuperLove, a track that's been kicking around just outside my top 40 for several weeks, and becomes her second chart hit this year following the solo version of Player. Tove Lo hangs on at #28 as this week's longest-runner up to now, and a glut of new new entries come in this week throughout the top 40. Here's that top 40 in more detail, from the last 30 days up to 15/09/16:

01 Dev ft. Nef the Pharaoh - #1 [22-8-1]
02 Empire of the Sun - High and Low [28-10-2]
03 Tinashe - SuperLove [N]
04 Clean Bandit ft. Louisa Johnson - Tears [40-13-1-4]
05 Astronomyy - The Secret [32-5-5]
06 Molly Marlette - Do Me a Favor [32-9-2-6]
07 Roosevelt - Night Moves [23-7]
08 HyunA - How's This? [11-8]
09 Carly Rae Jepsen - Higher [N]
10 Young Summer - Paused Parade [12-14-10]
11 Kate Nash - Good Summer [31-18-9-11]
12 Bear's Den - Red Earth & Pouring Rain [35-X2-38-12]
13 Frank Ocean - Ivy [29-13]
14 Drumsound & Bassline Smith ft. Conor Maynard - Catch Me Here [N]
15 Fred Falke ft. Elohim + Mansions On The Moon - It's A Memory [N]
16 YoungR - Out Of My System [N]
17 Lady Gaga - Perfect Illusion [N]
18 Sandra Lyng - Moonrise [21-10-6-18]
19 Annabel Jones - Not Today [22-11-4-19]
20 Dua Lipa - Blow Your Mind (Mwah) [N]
21 Metronomy ft. Robyn - Hang Me Out To Dry [35-21]
22 Red Hot Chili Peppers - Encore [34-22]
23 Glass Animals - Season 2 Episode 3 [N]
24 SG Lewis - Yours [26-24]
25 Frank Ocean - Nights [30-25]
26 Uppermost ft. Lisa Alma - Talisman [34-16-12-26]
27 Alina Baraz x Tez Cadey - Can I [20-27]
28 Tove Lo - Cool Girl [15-4-1-1-3-28]
29 Chairlift - Ch-Ching Redux [N]
30 Honne - It Ain't Wrong Loving You [33-36-30]
31 Christine + The Queens - Tilted [26-X2-16-31]
32 Brooke Candy - Changes [R]
33 Adele - Water Under the Bridge [N]
34 Tayler Buono - Something About You [10-2-7-34]
35 CL - Lifted [35-37-35]
36 Mollie King - Back To You [36-40-36]
37 Warpaint - New Song [20-5-15-37]
38 Flume ft. Little Dragon - Take A Chance [24-38]
39 AlunaGeorge - Mediator [N]
40 Ariana Grande ft. Nicki Minaj - Side To Side [R]

#1s this year:
AlunaGeorge - Mean What I Mean (1)
Britney Spears - Make Me (1)
Tove Lo - Cool Girl (2)
Clean Bandit ft. Louisa Johnson - Tears (1)
Dev ft. Nef the Pharaoh - #1 (1)

Spotify Link to the playlist in full this week: click right here

This post has been edited by 360Jupiter: 16th September 2016, 11:56 PM
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
J00prstar
post 16th September 2016, 07:43 PM
Post #2
Group icon

Bear's Den rebounds with Red Earth right from out a few weeks ago into the top 15 for the first time since I started these weekly charts. I expected a high new entry from Gaga this week, but was surprised when counting up at the end of the week to see such strong debuts for Tinashe (#3), Carly Rae Jepsen's second hit for me from new album Emotion Side B (Higher, at #9), YoungR (Out Of My System, at #16, if I had write-up I'd link it this week; could be a future hit here) and Drumsound & Bassline Smith featuring Conor Maynard doing his best Justin Bieber impression (Catch Me Here, at #14). Glass Animals, Adele and AlunaGeorge chart further tracks from their recent albums (Adele, particularly, would be mad not to release Water Under The Bridge at some point, unless she's got another album in the pipeline soon) due to my playlists hammering them this week, while Ariana and Nicki's Side to Side, a track already in my top 20-top 10 of the year, sneaks back into the bottom of the chart. I've been playing it more seeing all the promo for it. A really fun and interesting chart this week, great mix of tunes.

And now onto our links for this week:

Gaga boosts straight into the top 20 in her first week of release with comeback single Perfect Illusion, which sees the singer taking on a new sound and image from her usual high-concept fashion and theatrical electropop. I'm pleasantly surprised by this one, it sounds like the intro to a slightly new Gaga and the influence of American Horror Story can definitely be heard reading between the lines of the song. A much, much better lead single than Applause which I've always held to be the worst possible lead single choice she could have made in 2013, when the public were starting to seriously see her as self-indulgent and obsessed only with fame and making headlines. A solid resurgence from Gaga!

The joyous Its A Memory by Fred Falke featuring Elohim and Mansions On The Moon comes in this week at #15. There's a definite ELO influence here and a very retro sound, although the production is sparkly modern; Mr Blue Sky Part II almost. Although this is from last year it's one I only discovered in 2016, and a pleasing resurgence for Fred Falke, whose remix of Gossip's Heavy Cross soundtracked a large chunk of my 2009. Very pleasantly surprised by this one.

Its Dua Lipa time once again. She was tipped at the end of last year as one to watch in 2016, and I find her pleasing enough, though not quite yet one I'd call myself a big fan of. Nevertheless, Blow Your Mind (Mwah) enters this week at #20 as Lipa's third chart hit for me this year, following Hotter Than Hell and Last Dance. New music nowadays is in a very odd place - if Lipa had been tipped and debuted in 2011 I reckon she'd be looking at a few top 5s by now. It seems much harder now for more indie acts to break through without huge label - or Spotify playlist - backing.

Roosevelt are a band I came across solely through Youtube, but who seem to have recently debuted into the mainstream at around the same time I came across them. This crossover doesn't always happen. Night Moves is a fun song, a little funky, a little like the mid 2000s British indie invasion. It's a nice pairing and fits well into the current musical landscape. Be nice to hear on the radio, I can see it fitting into Radio 1's stable without much hassle. Night Moves by Roosevelt hits #7 this week.

And so Tinashe completes her reinvention, from moody Aaliyah-esque contemporary dark R&B queen, to light, fluffy, Alexis Jordan-esque pop starlet. I'm not sure how fully on board I am with the change - coming as it does with increased sexualisation, skimpy outfits, suggestive advertising and, perhaps most offensively, lightened skin and straightened hair, but I guess her managers have decided to throw Tinashe straight at pop in the hopes of creating a future Rihanna, instead of following the creative, indie&B approach Tinashe's previous releases (ill-timed collab with Iggy 'Eggs' Azalea notwithstanding) favoured. Regardless of my reservations, its a pretty catchy tune though, and the Baywatch-inspired video with its dance segment is charming. Tinashe's SuperLove zooms in at #3, her second chart hit this year following the solo version of Player, and probably her 7th or 8th chart hit for me overall. (Should I have a recap somewhere of these? I might do at the end of the year)

Questions, comments, flames welcome as usual. Maybe not that last one so much.

This post has been edited by 360Jupiter: 16th September 2016, 07:49 PM

+Quote this post
awardinary
post 16th September 2016, 10:18 PM
Post #3
Group icon
Here to play, here to stay
Pronouns: he/him
User: 21,587

Hi 360Jupiter,

Lots of unknowns amongst your chart for me, but I'm happy to see female presence from Lady GaGa, Dua Lipa and Ariana Grande feat. Nicki Minaj.

Very good chart. smile.gif

+Quote this post
J00prstar
post 16th September 2016, 11:57 PM
Post #4
Group icon

QUOTE(awardinary @ Sep 16 2016, 11:18 PM) *
Hi 360Jupiter,

Lots of unknowns amongst your chart for me, but I'm happy to see female presence from Lady GaGa, Dua Lipa and Ariana Grande feat. Nicki Minaj.

Very good chart. smile.gif

Thanks awardinary! I've just added a playlist link to Spotify to the original post, so you (and anyone else) can easily have a listen to the full list without having to search out each individual track to give them a try! smile.gif

+Quote this post
JSG
post 18th September 2016, 07:15 PM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 18,473

hi Jupiter!

01 Dev ft. Nef the Pharaoh - #1 [22-8-1]
04 Clean Bandit ft. Louisa Johnson - Tears [40-13-1-4]
09 Carly Rae Jepsen - Higher [N] wub.gif
11 Kate Nash - Good Summer [31-18-9-11]
17 Lady Gaga - Perfect Illusion [N] This Is underwhelming imo.
19 Annabel Jones - Not Today [22-11-4-19]
20 Dua Lipa - Blow Your Mind (Mwah) [N]
21 Metronomy ft. Robyn - Hang Me Out To Dry [35-21]
24 SG Lewis - Yours [26-24]
29 Chairlift - Ch-Ching Redux [N]
31 Christine + The Queens - Tilted [26-X2-16-31] wub.gif
33 Adele - Water Under the Bridge [N]
35 CL - Lifted [35-37-35]
36 Mollie King - Back To You [36-40-36] nice repeak!

Great chart!

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 24th April 2024, 07:41 PM