BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> OSCARS 2017: Best Picture, A closer look...
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Josh!
post 30th January 2017, 11:36 PM
Post #1
Group icon
c:
User: 20,692
Hi and welcome to a new feature that will take a closer look at the nominees in each of the categories for the upcoming Oscars in February. The first one is looking at the nine movies up for Best Picture at this year's awards:

BEST PICTURE

The nominees are:
Arrival
Fences
Hacksaw Ridge
Hell or High Water
Hidden Figures
La La Land
Lion
Manchester by the Sea
Moonlight

What do you think will win? Who would you like to win? How many of these have you seen so far? What movies are you sad about missing the cut? Discuss anything you like!!

Here are the latest odds too (with Skybet) just to see how things are likely to pan out:
La La Land 1/8
Moonlight 8/1
Hidden Figures 12/1
Manchester by the Sea 22/1
Fences 100/1
Hacksaw Ridge 100/1
Lion 100/1
Arrival 100/1
Hell or High Water 100/1
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post 30th January 2017, 11:50 PM
Post #2
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.
User: 20,947
La La Land to win this and sweep plz thanks.

Seriously though this year has been so strong! I've only seen 4 of them so far (rly need to rectify that! One's I've seen are LLL/MBTS/Arrival/Lion) and all four are strong 10/10's for me! <3

+Quote this post
Josh!
post 30th January 2017, 11:55 PM
Post #3
Group icon
c:
I've seen 6/9 of these so far (but hoping to see them all eventually). I've enjoyed them all but some definitely more so than others, think I would rank them like this:

1 Manchester by the Sea
2 Hacksaw Ridge
3 Lion
4 Arrival
5 La La Land
6 Hell Or High Water

I think it is now La La Land's to lose really and it is very likely to win with only Moonlight really challenging but will have to wait 'til I see that to decide who to root for on the night.

Realistically, out of any of the other films with a chance, I'd have liked to see Nocturnal Animals or The Jungle Book get nominations, especially as we know the category can be expanded to 10 nominees and I wasn't really THAT keen on Hell or High Water either. It would've been nice if The Jungle Book was recognised here, perhaps as the 'blockbuster' choice like Avatar, The Martian or Life of Pi, especially for it's impressive technological advances and the fact that it is a great film.

+Quote this post
J❄️hq
post 31st January 2017, 09:15 AM
Post #4
Group icon
my anxiety attacks
User: 8,674
1 Lion
2 Manchester By The Sea
3 Moonlight
4 Hacksaw Ridge
5 Arrival
6 Hell Or High Water
7 La La Land

Two more to go, not expecting Hidden Figures or Fences to change my top 2 but we'll see!

I agree that Nocturnal Animals would've been a great nom, that would've slotted in above Moonlight I think. No to The Jungle Book, so overrated and would've been at the bottom of my pile tongue.gif I thought Jackie would be up but that would've been bottom for me, definitely all about Natalie.

Very strong category though, everything I've seen is at least 7/10, The Martian, The Revenant, The Big Short and Mad Max would all go below La La Land if they were in it this year!

I'm sad that Lion doesn't have better odds, as much as it's a case of "La La Land is going to win and there's no room for anything else happening".

+Quote this post
post 31st January 2017, 09:35 AM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 19,931
I agree about Jungle Book, would have been amazing. One of the best 3D Imax experiences ever! Surprised to see you both rank La La Land so low... here's mine...

1. Moonlight
2. Arrival
3. Manchester by the Sea
4. La La Land
5. Lion
6. Fences
7. Hidden Figures

I feel harsh on Hidden Figures, because I really enjoyed it! I think it was sweet and I shed a tear, but at the same time, though there was an important message, it felt like fluff. It feel like a feel-good TV movie more than anything, not something that would win best picture. I only loved my top too. Everything else was just different levels of good.

+Quote this post
Josh!
post 31st January 2017, 06:26 PM
Post #6
Group icon
c:
I did enjoy La La Land a fair bit still and would probably rank it an 8/10 but the best thing about it was the music and characters for me and the plot itself just wasn't as good. There are some excellent tracks on the soundtrack and Justin Hurwitz has created an incredible score. The two leads also had excellent chemistry and were very likeable which is what made the film so enjoyable and moments like the ending stick with you as a viewer. However, I would be lying if I didn't say I was a little bored in the middle with the actual story even though the music and magic of it all still kept me entertained. I'm starting to get a bit worried that it is just going to win pretty much every category because some of them it is not so deserving imo (I'd like to see it win 3/4 awards perhaps but I imagine it'll be more like 8/9/10 drama.gif)

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post 15th February 2017, 10:10 PM
Post #7
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.
01) La La Land
02) Arrival
03) Lion
04) Manchester By The Sea
05) Hacksaw Ridge

I'm not even joking this surely has to be the strongest best picture line-up in years??!! All 5 films I've seen are comfortably 10/10's (was shocked how much I loved Hacksaw, rly wasn't expecting to like it that much)

Seeing Hidden Figures & Moonlight on Friday and Fences on Saturday and just need to find time to fit in Hell Or High Water then I have seen them all!

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 16th February 2017, 09:03 PM
Post #8
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 5,042
'Moonlight' is hella overrated. I mean it's alright, but I didn't like it anywhere as much as you guys seem to! Far too slow and didnt go anywhere for me. So I really hope it doesn't surprise and actually win! sad.gif

+Quote this post
Josh!
post 21st February 2017, 09:56 AM
Post #9
Group icon
c:
Seen all 9 of these now so I can do my final rank now : biggrin.gif

01 Hidden Figures
02 Hacksaw Ridge
03 Manchester by the Sea
04 Arrival
05 La La Land
06 Fences
07 Lion
08 Moonlight
09 Hell or High Water

I imagine La La Land has this won now and I would prefer it to win over Moonlight so I don't mind so much. I liked all 9 a fair bit so nothing I disliked this year but I wasn't so huge on HOHW. Hidden Figures isn't objectively the best made film but it's the one I enjoyed the most so yay at it being nominated biggrin.gif

+Quote this post
blacksquare
post 22nd February 2017, 02:03 PM
Post #10
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 23,471
I want Moonlight to win, it's the most deserving. But I have such a soft spot for Arrival.

01 Arrival
02 Moonlight
03 Manchester by the Sea
04 La La Land
05 Fences
06 Hell or High Water
07 Hidden Figures
08 Lion
09 Hacksaw Ridge

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post 24th February 2017, 11:40 PM
Post #11
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.
01 La La Land

---------------------------------------------------------

02 Arrival
03 Lion
04 Manchester By The Sea
05 Hacksaw Ridge
05 Hidden Figures

07 Fences

08 Moonlight
09 Hell Or High Water

INCREDIBLE Line-up, the top 6 are amongst my favourite films of the last 2 years, Fences is 9.5/10 great and the latter two are both still great films and would probably be in my top half of films in the last two years!

Obviously want La La Land to win for reasons I've gone on about multiple times.

Arrival is a bit ahead in 2nd, still love that film so much! Lion & Manchester By The Sea were heartbreaking and they really hit me hard, though the impact of MBTS fell a bit on my 2nd watch which has allowed Lion to overtake it! Rounding off the top 5 is a joint 5th of Hacksaw Ridge and Hidden Figures, I tried to separate them and even swapped them around 4 times while writing this but I just can't! Hacksaw completely knocked me for seven, was shocked how much I loved it and how much the film impacted me and Hidden Figures was a fab film with a massive heart and incredible performances.

Fences was a great film but was more of an actors film for me as there wasn't too much to the plot or story! But it still kept me hooked though!

Moonlight is the one I'm finding hardest to pinpoint. I was very disappointed when I saw it but I can't stop thinking about it? It is such a powerful film and I think I may need to re-watch it at some point but something didn't quite click for me. And Hell Or High Water rounds off the list, despite still being an 8/10! Very interesting and gripping but this isn't my kind of film unless it is out of this world extraordinary and I hated the ending

What a great- line up though! So much better than last year which had the abhorrent Revenant and Big Short and a few other just good films. And way better than 2014 where the only films that I liked more than Hell Or High Water were Whiplash, Boyhood and Selma

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 25th February 2017, 12:16 AM
Post #12
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 5,042
Trying to judge this as fairly as I can. So no matter my opinion of a certain, I can appreciate why it's been nominated etc.. So here's how I'd rank them...

The numbers after the movies are where they'd rank in my PERSONAL rankings.

Seen: (In terms of how deserving the nominations for Best Picture are)
01 La La Land
02 Arrival
03 Moonlight
04 Lion
05 Hacksaw Ridge
06 Manchester By The Sea

My personal rankings:
01 La La Land
02 Hacksaw Ridge
03 Arrival
04 Lion
05 Moonlight
06 Manchester By The Sea
---
Not Seen:
Hidden Figures
Fences
Hell Or High Water

---

'Hacksaw Ridge' I feel might be a bit much for it to win the award, but I loved it. 'Manchester By The Sea', barring the performances (which really are fantastic), I found a bit too boring for it to be considered, personally.

Definitely gonna be watching the others at some point, so I'll feed back on them soon enough. But 'La La Land' is so far out in front for me. It has everything from great performances, to beautiful cinematography, to a gorgeous script, to some brilliant and feel good music and score!

+Quote this post
Davidson
post 25th February 2017, 12:20 AM
Post #13
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 11,847
Out of those I have seen:

01. La La Land
02. Moonlight
03. Lion
04. Hidden Figures
05. Arrival

Loved them all though.

I need to watch the other 4 ASAP.

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post 26th February 2017, 01:51 PM
Post #14
Group icon
The owls are not what they seem
Pronouns: He/him
User: 9,232
Have now seen them all so my own ranking:

01. Arrival
02. Manchester By The Sea
03. Moonlight
04. La La Land
05. Hacksaw Ridge
06. Hell or High Water
07. Lion
08. Hidden Figures
09. Fences

Quite a clear number 1 really, Arrival is really stunning and captivating all the way through and I absolutely loved the messages/twists that followed, I fear it's gonna get snubbed tonight, though it did very well for a film of it's type to be up for this award at all.

The next three are very close - Manchester... just wins out though as I adored the 'cold' feel of it all, helped by the setting and sombre soundtrack, you really felt you were in his shoes for the whole film and the realistic tone and excellent performance from Affleck just made it all the better (and that score is just heavenly wub.gif). Moonlight was really amazingly told and raised issues that just aren't seen enough on screen and feels the most relevant to today, I really hope it pulls off an upset in Best Picture, but I can't see it happening. I did still really enjoy La La Land and it would be a worthy winner, hard to see how anyone can really dislike it.

Hacksaw Ridge I think was my favourite of the true stories, I found the first half a bit too cringey with the love story and the standard army training, but it definitely gripped me from the war scenes onwards and was amazingly filmed, the scene where they all watched him as he was taken on a stretcher was amazing. Lion oddly had the opposite problem - absolutely amazing start with him as a young boy and beautiful ending even if you knew where it was going, but the middle really did drag a lot when they clearly ran out of story, it irked me as I would've loved it all the way through had it been shortened to like 90 minutes. Hell or High Water I enjoyed a lot for what it was, Western's aren't really my thing but the cat-and-mouse battle and depth given to the 'criminals' was very refreshing, with a great ending and some brilliant one liners throughout (even if I needed subtitles for half of it! drama.gif)

The last two I wouldn't say I'd watch again, Hidden Figures was an excellent story that I didn't know about before (nor how segregated things still were back then!) and credit for, but it was far too Hollywood-ised cheese otherwise and you knew exactly where it was going from the start, didn't feel especially Oscar worthy a few standout scenes aside. And Fences...brilliant performances and a great play I'm sure, but doesn't work cinematically and far, far too long for what it is. Definitely a good selection on the whole though, even if last year I did feel I liked more of the films that were up.

+Quote this post
John Thronton
post 28th February 2017, 06:37 PM
Post #15
Group icon
New Entry
User: 25,537
What was the story behind the wrong announcement of best movie for the oscar awards?

+Quote this post
Riser
post 1st March 2017, 04:07 AM
Post #16
Group icon
The horrors persist, but so do I
User: 19,534
QUOTE(John Thronton @ Feb 28 2017, 01:37 PM) *
What was the story behind the wrong announcement of best movie for the oscar awards?

Basically they have two envelopes for each category and someone accidentally gave the Best Picture presenters the second envelope for the previous category (Actress in a Lead Role), instead of the envelope for Best Picture.

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 23rd April 2024, 06:19 AM