BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
8 Pages V  « < 6 7 8  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Buzzjack Movie Awards 2017: The Results, Finished. Winners on Page 8.
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
UltraCruelSummer
post Mar 10 2018, 09:18 PM
Post #141
It's a cruel summer.
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 20,947

best actress coming up now!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
UltraCruelSummer
post Mar 10 2018, 09:25 PM
Post #142
It's a cruel summer.

BEST ACTRESS

01. La La Land - Emma Stone (4 / 6)
02. Wonder Woman - Gal Gadot (4 / 2)
03. Jackie - Natalie Portman (4 / 1)
04. Hidden Figures - Taraji P. Henson (3 / 4)
05. mother! - Jennifer Lawrence (2 / 2)
06. Baby Driver - Lily James (2 / 1)
07. Ingrid Goes West - Aubrey Plaza (0 / 2)

And the Oscars repeat itself here *.*

Emma Stone gave one of my favourite performances of all time in La La Land and I'm so glad she scooped the win here just *.* This is Emma's 2nd Buzzjack Oscar win, and I believe that makes her the only actress to ever win two acting awards! Her performance is incredible & so deserving of this Oscar and the real life Oscar <3 <3

In 2nd is Gal Gadot who gave us a killer superhero in Wonder Woman & Natalie Portman's incredible portayal of Jackie takes 3rd. Taraji does way better than I was expecting to clinch fourth place and J-Law gave another incredible performance in mother! Lily James was also fab in Baby Driver & Aubrey Plaza was great but these two are unsurprisingly last in a very strong category. A great category full of incredible performances <3

+Quote Post
UltraCruelSummer
post Mar 10 2018, 09:26 PM
Post #143
It's a cruel summer.

Jack & Josh will be finishing the rest of the results over the next couple of days.

+Quote Post
Tafty³³³
post Mar 11 2018, 12:21 AM
Post #144
I found the love, I found the love in me
Group: Genre Mod
Member No.: 5,042

Emma heart.gif

Natalie Portman would've been an absolutely deserving winner for 'Jackie' though. She was the reason why that film was watchable. Gal just is WW too.

+Quote Post
Regina
post Mar 11 2018, 01:32 PM
Post #145
Raining Shitter
Group: Banned
Member No.: 5,572

I'll keep my thoughts to myself regarding that win.

+Quote Post
UltraCruelSummer
post Mar 19 2018, 01:19 PM
Post #146
It's a cruel summer.

Looks like I'll be finishing this off x

+Quote Post
UltraCruelSummer
post Mar 19 2018, 01:24 PM
Post #147
It's a cruel summer.

BEST PICTURE: NOMINEE #11

MANCHESTER BY THE SEA

Regina

Before we begin, let's get one thing straight; Casey Affleck >>>>>>> Ben Affleck. He is younger, hotter, better at acting and less of a knob.
He should have won an Oscar long ago, but really, there was no way he wasn't going to get one one day and there isn't a better movie for him to get one than this. He has such a gift for playing broken, emotional characters, he acts it out with every fibre of his being and it shows through and you as the audience cannot help but be drawn right in and feel some of his turmoil.
A very emotional and often dark story, Casey plays Lee, a man who works as a handyman and lives a very solitary life. After his brother dies, he is given custody of his teen nephew. Through flashbacks we get to see why Lee is the way he is and it is a major gut punch; a combination of negligence and drunkesness caused a fire that killed his three young children and in the aftermath he attempted suicide. (Spoilered incase you have yet to see it)
The relationship between uncle and nephew goes through many ups and downs and a reunion with his ex wife causes Lee to spiral slightly out of control.
Despite the heavy movie there is a glimmer of hope towards the end which makes it all worth it in the end.
The scenery in the movie matches the tone so perfectly; grim an wintery but it eventually begins to thaw out.
Other than Casey, the other main powerhouse is Michelle Williams who plays his ex-wife and the scenes they share ought to be shown in college to show how acting is meant to be. Casey and Michelle got a slew of award recognition with Casey winning almost everything and rightfully so, but I wish Michelle got a few more wins too.

Chez
One of the big award winners at last year's Oscar season was one of the most brooding, miserable yet beautiful dramas of the year. Starring a masterstroke award winning performance from Casey Affleck as Lee, a man who has lost almost everything as is gradually revealed and his subdued years attempting to reconnect with his nephew, it's hard to imagine a portrayal of grief so better presented. The glorious yet empty landscape adds perfectly to the feeling of sadness, there's no magic happy endings here, so convolutions, it's a completely raw, entirely realistic portrait of loss and the grim aftermath that that can lead to. A stunning watch.

+Quote Post
UltraCruelSummer
post Mar 19 2018, 01:26 PM
Post #148
It's a cruel summer.

BEST PICTURE: NOMINEE #12

THE GREATEST SHOWMAN

Jonjo
From one musical to another, The Greatest Showman. It's not as "classy" or as "chic" as La La Land, but it's just as good and just as powerful. It's a lot more accessible too. Telling the story of P. A. Barnum and his circus of misfits, TGS is one of the most uplifting, joyous, feel good and just outright enjoyable movies not only of the last year, but of all time for me. It just doesn't get old. The songs are tailor made for radio/infectious pop smashes in their own right, but the story is just so heart warming that they fit perfectly and don't sound out of place, despite them being "modern" in their sound. I honestly can't tell you enough just how much I adore this movie. Going to see it for a 5th time on Saturday... Yes, it's THAT rewatchable!
Sam
Another terrific movie musical rounding off 2017 *.* The ensemble is fabulous and all work great together, the songs and routines are showstopping and I had the biggest smile on my face throughout the entire film. The highlight ofc is the wonderful This Is Me which Keala nails every single time and is one of the best movie songs in a while! <3

+Quote Post
UltraCruelSummer
post Mar 19 2018, 01:31 PM
Post #149
It's a cruel summer.

BEST DIRECTOR

01. Call Me By Your Name - Luca Guadagnino (6 / 3)
02. La La Land - Damien Chazelle (5 / 1)
03. Baby Driver - Edgar Wright (3 / 4)
04. Dunkirk - Christopher Nolan (2 / 5)
05. Wonder Woman - Patty Jenkins (1 / 2)
06. Get Out - Jordan Peele (0 / 2)

And in another close battle between LLL & CMBYN, the latter prevails.

Another win for Call Me By Your Name tonight. Luca's directing was very good but it wasn't my favourite of the year. Anywhere there's no denying its popularity here as it picks up a third of the first preference votes. He succeeds Denis Villeneuve's win last year for Arrival.

In 2nd is actual Oscar winner Damien Chazelle who also deserved the win here, his direction of LLL is incredible and he slays here. Edgar Wright takes 3rd for his great direction in Baby Driver whilst Christopher Nolan does his usual here in picking up many 2nd preference votes but not enough first preference votes to make a significant impact. Despite ruling nominations, Patty Jenkins can only come 5th here and Jordan Peele is the only director that failed to pick up any first preference votes.

+Quote Post
UltraCruelSummer
post Mar 19 2018, 01:39 PM
Post #150
It's a cruel summer.

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS

01. Fences - Viola Davis (4 / 2)
02. Get Out - Allison Williams (3 / 2)
03. The Big Sick - Holly Hunter (3 / 1)
04. Hidden Figures - Janelle Monae (2 / 4)
05. The Greatest Showman - Zendaya (2 / 3)
06. The Greatest Showman - Keala Settle (2 / 1)
07. Manchester By The Sea - Michelle Williams (1 / 3)

Mimicking the Best Actress race, it's a very very close battle here with the Oscar winner prevailing.

Viola Davis takes Fences first and only win of the night for her powerhouse of a performance which she also won the real life Oscar for. Viola is incredible in Fences and deserves all the acclaim she gets and I'm so glad she wins here *.* This year we revert back to a more Oscar-y performance winning in this category for the first time since 2013 when Lupita won! (Margot won for Suicide Squad in 2016, Alicia for Ex_Machina in 2015, Emily Blunt for Edge of Tomorrow in 2014).

In 2nd is Allison Williams' fantastic performance in Get Out which in my view is the best performance from the film and deserved more attention in the real life awards and in 3rd is brutally snub by Oscars, and my favourite of the category, Holly Hunter in the wonderful The Big Sick who is pitch perfect. Now for a lil interesting fact for you, everyone that missed out on a medal position here has scored a UK top 75 hit in the singles chart this year! (albeit three of them for the same film kink.gif). Janelle Monae was the highlight of Hidden Figures and I'm shocked how well she did here but its deserved, The Greatest Showman duo of Zendaya & Keala take 5th and 6th for their great performances and I'm really surprised Michelle Williams came last here, she deserved better.

+Quote Post
Tafty³³³
post Mar 19 2018, 01:40 PM
Post #151

No surprise with that one. Deserved, but I'd have preferred Damien to have got that one.

Edit: No surprise at Viola either. Janelle getting some sort of recognition though wub.gif I feel like she's really under appreciated for her role in 'Hidden Figures'.

+Quote Post
UltraCruelSummer
post Mar 19 2018, 01:47 PM
Post #152
It's a cruel summer.

BEST ACTOR

01. Call Me By Your Name - Timothee Chalamet (8 / 3)
02. Manchester By The Sea - Casey Affleck (4 / 1)
03. La La Land - Ryan Gosling (2 / 6)
04. Baby Driver - Ansel Elgort (2 / 2)
04. Get Out - Daniel Kaluuya (2 / 2)
06. Wonder - Jacob Tremblay (0 / 2)

Yeah it was never going to be anyone else was it.

Timothee did give a very good performance (and don't kill me) but I think it's the weakest of this category oops. Anyway he takes nearly half of the first preference votes here in a complete landslide. This marks the 3rd year in a row of an underwhelming performance winning this category for me (after Gyllenhaal & Di Caprio). However the lil switch up this year is that Chalamet actually dominated both nominations & voting in this category which is unusual for this category (iirc Di Caprio was last in the category in the nomination stages and Ryan Reynolds, who would've been a worse winner than all three that acc won, dominated the nominations in 2016)
Also this is the 2nd year in a row that the male & supporting male performances have been won by the same film (CMBYN this year, Nocturnal Animals in 2016)

Anyway let's get more positive. Casey Affleck gave an incredible Oscar-winning performance in Manchester By The Sea and I'm glad it did well here as I wasn't expecting him to get a medal position here. Two time winner Ryan Gosling takes 3rd and continues the La La Land trend this evening of getting loads of 2nd preference votes and is of my favourite in this category whilst Ansel & Daniel take joint 4th for their well-reviewed performances in two of our Best Picture nominees. In last place is Jacob Tremblay who was great in Wonder but just couldn't compete in this category, I'm glad he got a couple of last minute 2nd preference votes tho.

+Quote Post
UltraCruelSummer
post Mar 19 2018, 01:53 PM
Post #153
It's a cruel summer.

BEST PICTURE

01. Call Me By Your Name (6 / 0)
02. Get Out (3 / 2)
03. The Greatest Showman (2 / 2)
04. La La Land (2 / 1)
05. Thor: Ragnarok (1 / 4)
06. Baby Driver (1 / 2)
06. Manchester By The Sea (1 / 2)
06. Wonder Woman (1 / 2)
09. Beauty & The Beast (1 / 1)
10. Spider Man: Homecoming (0 / 1)
10. The Big Sick (0 / 1)
10. Wonder (0 / 1)

Yeah it was never going to be anyone else was it. (again). I was thinking about dragging this out for tension but there really isn't any point!

Call Me By Your Name completely dominates this year and it doesn't stop here at all. Surprisingly in 2nd is Get Out which puts up a very strong performance here and the two Buzzjack fave musicals take 3rd and 4th, I'm kinda shocked La La Land didn't get a medal position sad.gif Some more shocks here as Thor ends up being the highest superhero film and takes a top 5 spot whilst Wonder Woman kinda underperforms, I was expecting that to have a way better night than it did. Manchester also did better than I expected whereas Baby Driver ended up where I thought it would. Beauty & The Beast actually has another fan apart from Michael which means it takes 9th and we have a three-way tie for 10th this year as finally for the first time in forever no Best Pic nominee has 0,0. Well it was v. close as Spider-Man got its one 2nd preference vote on the last vote, a shame cos its easily the worst here and deserved to be last. I'm not surprised at The Big Sick or Wonder flopping here but both deserved better!

Thanks for everyone who's commented, voted and submitted the amazing commentaries and its been another great year cheer.gif heart.gif wub.gif

+Quote Post
Tafty³³³
post Mar 19 2018, 02:05 PM
Post #154

Wonder Woman def underperformed! I was fully expecting it to trounce every other Superhero movie this year at least, but it got put out quite a bit! ohmy.gif

A deserving winner. Wasn't my first choice, but I feel like it was a strong year last year. 'La La Land' woulda been my preference, and I'm kinda shocked but not really that it didn't get a medal position.

Thank you all SO MUCH for this again. I look forward to this every year wub.gif

+Quote Post
UltraCruelSummer
post Mar 19 2018, 02:10 PM
Post #155
It's a cruel summer.

The WINNERS:
Best Picture: Call Me By Your Name
Best Actor: Call Me By Your Name - Timothee Chalamet
Best Actress: La La Land - Emma Stone
Best Supporting Actor: Call Me By Your Name - Armie Hammer
Best Supporting Actress: Fences - Viola Davis
Best Director: Call Me By Your Name - Luca Guadagnino
Best Script: Call Me By Your Name
Best Newcomer: Timothee Chalamet
Best Ensemble: The Greatest Showman
Best Performance of the Year: Call Me By Your Name - Timothee Chalamet
Most Attractive Actor: Chris Hemsworth
Most Attractive Actress: Gal Gadot
Best Animation: The LEGO Batman Movie
Best Voice Performance - Male: Guardians of the Galaxy: Vol. 2 - Bradley Cooper
Best Voice Performance - Female: Beauty & The Beast - Emma Thompson
Best Action: Baby Driver
Best Comedy: The Big Sick
Best Drama: Call Me By Your Name
Best Horror: Get Out
Best Sci-Fi/Thriller: Get Out
Best Visual Effects: Thor: Ragnarok
Best Song: Keala Settle - This Is Me (from 'The Greatest Showman')
Best Score: La La Land
Best Soundtrack: The Greatest Showman
Best Movie Couple: Call Me By Your Name - Armie Hammer & Timothee Chalamet
Best Character: Call Me By Your Name - Elio
Best Hero: Wonder Woman - Wonder Woman
Best Scene: La La Land - Epilogue
Best Look & Style: Beauty & The Beast
Best Poster: La La Land
Most Underrated: Hidden Figures
Best Adaptation of a Source Material: Call Me By Your Name
Biggest Box Office Surprise: The Greatest Showman
Biggest Box Office Disaster: Justice League

+Quote Post
UltraCruelSummer
post Mar 19 2018, 02:20 PM
Post #156
It's a cruel summer.

The Winners Tally:
Call Me By Your Name - 11 (from 20 nominations)
La La Land - 4 (from 14 nominations)
The Greatest Showman - 4 (from 14 nominations)
Beauty & The Beast - 2 (from 6 nominations)
Get Out - 2 (from 12 nominations)
Baby Driver - 1 (from 9 nominations)
Fences - 1
Guardians of the Galaxy: Vol. 2 - 1 (from 4 nominations)
Hidden Figures - 1
The Big Sick - 1 (from 5 nominations)
The LEGO Batman Movie - 1
Thor: Ragnarok - 1 (from 6 nominations)
Wonder Woman - 1 (from 11 nominations)
(Justice League - 1)

Biggest Losers:
Manchester By The Sea - 0 wins/8 nominations
It – 0 wins/6 nominations
mother! – 0 wins/5 nominations
Star Wars 8 – 0 wins/5 nominations
Wonder - 0 wins/5 nominations
Paddington 2 - 0 wins/4 nominatios
Pitch Perfect 3 - 0 wins/4 nominations
Spider-Man: Homecoming - 0 wins/4 nominations

Nothing as bad as last year where half of the films that racked up the most nominations then won nothing! Only 3 BP noms (Manchester/Wonder/Spider-Man) went home empty handed as well!

+Quote Post
Dexton
post Mar 19 2018, 02:31 PM
Post #157
rip in peace Dickston
Group: Members
Member No.: 25,045
   No Gallery Pics

I wonder if Love, Simon will dominate next year? laugh.gif That, Avengers, and maybe Mamma Mia look to be big hitters I reckon!

Still haven't seen CMBYN so I can't really comment on it's domination tongue.gif Happy to see Baby Driver come hoem with at least one win though cheer.gif Totally underrated movie. Thanks for hosting Ultra! wub.gif

+Quote Post

8 Pages V  « < 6 7 8
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 09:20 AM