BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 
22 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Doctor Who: Series 10, Christmas Day: Twice Upon a Time
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Mart!n
post 30th January 2017, 10:28 PM
Post #81
Group icon
Infamy Infamy they all got it in for me
User: 2

Peter Capaldi did say he was going to do 1 more series in a Graham Norton interview sometime last year, so I was expecting this to happen this year. I've quite enjoyed Peter as the Doctor, he is one of the best. I bet they go for a younger Dr. next. Would love to see Idris Elba as the new Dr. could give a different dimension to it, and I think the companions will be going as well, so it all starts afresh.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Klaus
post 30th January 2017, 11:27 PM
Post #82
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦
User: 17,160

Yey, really happy about that. As great as Peter Capaldi is, I've never fully warmed to him as the Doctor but I am happy that he got to live out his dream. They need to go back to someone younger for the next Doctor, it's a mistake to go for another older one. The show needs a refresh, which will be largely resolved by Moffatt leaving but I don't think the public have warmed to Peter either. It has wained in popularity over the past few years, which is a given since its 12 years since the reboot but hopefully a refocus with fresh eyes and a fresh cast can revatalise it back in the mainstream.

Now the endless media attention of who will be the next Doctor though. drama.gif

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post 31st January 2017, 01:40 AM
Post #83
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed
User: 18,639

QUOTE(Christmas @ Dec 28 2016, 01:54 PM) *
What has Martha got to do with anything? laugh.gif

Oh I was gonna comment on the Xmas special (it was alright, nothing special, better than some of them have been) but got distracted when I opened it onto an old page about companions! laugh.gif

OMG can't believe how fast Christmas went past this year ohmy.gif

Also, glad he's gone, he was crap.

Wonder what kills him - might be old age this time! Doctor Who always loses, technically, whenever he regenerates as something was stronger than him.

His ikonek 'How do I fly this thing?' amnesia intro with The Impossible Girl was, however, great!

This post has been edited by Queen LeQueefa: 31st January 2017, 02:34 AM

+Quote this post
Klaus
post 31st January 2017, 10:19 AM
Post #84
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦

Series 10 confirmed to start on Saturday 15th April with 12 episodes!

+Quote this post
Mark.
post 4th February 2017, 01:26 PM
Post #85
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 6,928

Fans are speculating online that Kris Marshall could be the next Doctor Who
I'd be happy with that
https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/27805...-peter-capaldi/

+Quote this post
Mart!n
post 4th February 2017, 01:37 PM
Post #86
Group icon
Infamy Infamy they all got it in for me
User: 2

QUOTE(Mark. @ Feb 4 2017, 01:26 PM) *
Fans are speculating online that Kris Marshall could be the next Doctor Who
I'd be happy with that
https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/27805...-peter-capaldi/

hmmm... Kris Marshall... not too sure, just gives me Peter Davison vibes with those cricket jumpers and camping it laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Klaus
post 4th February 2017, 01:47 PM
Post #87
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦

That's just clickbait journalism. I doubt they'll have started casting for the role yet, and even if they had, it'll have just started as if they'd done it earlier then there's the risk of it leaking that Peter was leaving. It's just that type of awful journalism where they think it's alright to use a few tweets to make an article, I'd expect no less from the Sun.

Just because he's stepped down from a series that films halfway across the world from where his family are doesn't mean he's been cast as the Doctor. laugh.gif

All speculation is just speculation at this point, the only time that it is interesting to read is a day before the announcement as that's when it seems to leak. Anything before that is just clickbait from the media.

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post 4th February 2017, 01:51 PM
Post #88
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed
User: 18,639

Hope it's Whoopi Goldberg.

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post 4th February 2017, 02:22 PM
Post #89
Group icon
The owls are not what they seem
Pronouns: He/him
User: 9,232

lol the guy from the BT adverts as the Doctor? I'd quite like to see that.

A shame to see Capaldi go, he didn't seem to connect with the public but I really liked him - his dour, cynical attitude was what the Doctor needed to be I think and a difference was needed after Matt Smith, who just never quite connected with me. Moffat on the other hand was a bit of an overdue departure.

This post has been edited by Chez Wombat: 4th February 2017, 02:24 PM

+Quote this post
T Boy
post 4th February 2017, 02:42 PM
Post #90
Group icon
Radical Pink Troll
User: 177

You see, after a good start, I felt like Capaldi was pretty much copying Smith.

+Quote this post
Slick
post 4th February 2017, 05:27 PM
Post #91
Group icon
electric butterflies
Pronouns: he/him
User: 70

I've really enjoyed Capaldi but I have seen a definite lack of interest in the show since his arrival and I'm not entirely sure why - perhaps a combination of his 'harsher, grumpier Doctor' and Moffat (who I think has created some superb Doctor Who in his time) overstaying his welcome at the helm.

I think after Series 8 where Capaldi's Doctor was being grumpy and broody in most episodes, they tried to reign it in for Series 9 but it undermined his Doctor in a way, because he was supposed to be markedly different from David Tennant and Matt Smith. Not that the casual observer probably gives a damn about that...

I fully expected Capaldi to go after 3 series so I'm not surprised and as ever, I'm looking to what's next. As a side note, and I know it's FAR too early to say, but Kris Marshall would be a really exciting choice.

+Quote this post
Klaus
post 4th February 2017, 05:40 PM
Post #92
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦

They were wrong in the direction that they took his Doctor. They tried making him the opposite of David & Matt's Doctors with this nonsense that he 'deletes faces'/doesn't care about people which is basically what his predecessors were all about! Its wrong to make him unlikeable in that way. Changing the lead actor in any show is a huge gamble as it can be a perfect opportunity for the public to switch off. Therefore, the public needs to warm to the new character and so making the Doctor grumpy and getting rid of those aspects that the public have grown to love just isn't going to work! Making him grumpy didn't work in the 80s and it won't work again!

Don't get me wrong, Peter is a fantastic actor and he's had some brilliant moments, 'Heaven Sent' of course being one of them but the character just isn't right when you're trying to maintain that mainstream audience. He's needs to be likeable, he needs to be friendly and he needs to be caring. Reinserting that Matt Smith-like eccentricness isn't enough.

I think the above needs to happen as well as a more lighter and fewer assumptions that viewers know the continuity need to happen. The show was starting to become written for the fans towards the latter parts of Series 9 especailly, particularly when they were in the old TARDIS. Whilst that's fantastic for a fan, it's hurtful to more casual viewers.

+Quote this post
Slick
post 4th February 2017, 05:50 PM
Post #93
Group icon
electric butterflies
User: 70

QUOTE(Count Olaf @ Feb 4 2017, 05:40 PM) *
They were wrong in the direction that they took his Doctor. They tried making him the opposite of David & Matt's Doctors with this nonsense that he 'deletes faces'/doesn't care about people which is basically what his predecessors were all about! Its wrong to make him unlikeable in that way. Changing the lead actor in any show is a huge gamble as it can be a perfect opportunity for the public to switch off. Therefore, the public needs to warm to the new character and so making the Doctor grumpy and getting rid of those aspects that the public have grown to love just isn't going to work! Making him grumpy didn't work in the 80s and it won't work again!

Don't get me wrong, Peter is a fantastic actor and he's had some brilliant moments, 'Heaven Sent' of course being one of them but the character just isn't right when you're trying to maintain that mainstream audience. He's needs to be likeable, he needs to be friendly and he needs to be caring. Reinserting that Matt Smith-like eccentricness isn't enough.

I think the above needs to happen as well as a more lighter and fewer assumptions that viewers know the continuity need to happen. The show was starting to become written for the fans towards the latter parts of Series 9 especailly, particularly when they were in the old TARDIS. Whilst that's fantastic for a fan, it's hurtful to more casual viewers.

Completely agree with all of this. It was a gamble to make Capaldi's Doctor so unlikeable, especially after two consecutive Doctors who were dashing and eccentric. It didn't pay off imo and I expect we'll be seeing a return to a more affable Doctor in the next regeneration.

I also agree that as time went along, Moffat wrote more and more for the fanbase as opposed to the general public. Combined with Capaldi's Doctor, it made for a lot of dark, complicated storytelling which will have put the casual viewer off because it just wasn't accessible. Tennant's era in particular had some fantastic dramatic moments but was also light and funny and it didn't require years of pre-knowledge to enjoy.

I'm expecting Series 10 to echo those early Tennant series' with Bill coming on board. A 'reintroduction' to Doctor Who is definitely needed now that Clara has gone.

This post has been edited by Slick: 4th February 2017, 05:50 PM

+Quote this post
Qween
post 4th February 2017, 07:45 PM
Post #94
Group icon
Schlagerdrottningen
User: 11,709

I hope we get a FEMALE DOCTOR. I know it's not going to happen and it's been talked about for ages now, but what a time to go for it.

+Quote this post
Klaus
post 11th February 2017, 11:54 AM
Post #95
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦

Missy will be back in the next series! I think they're filming her episodes now so she'll probably be back for the finale or at least towards the end of the series anyway. Really happy about that news as Missy has been excellent and really brings something both fun but dark to the series. Doesn't make me want a female Doctor though!!

Also, there is a REALLY creepy monster been revealed due to pictures taken during filming. To me, they look like the High Priestess Soothsayer from Series 4's Pompeii episode but they seem really random to bring back!

+Quote this post
Botchia
post 25th February 2017, 03:35 PM
Post #96
Group icon
I Drink Wine
User: 21,753

New teaser trailer

Doesn't seem to give much away.

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 6th March 2017, 05:48 PM
Post #97
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
User: 13,530

The original Mondasian Cybermen are returning in the finale! More here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/doctorwho/entri...1a-69693d489745

+Quote this post
Klaus
post 6th March 2017, 05:55 PM
Post #98
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/838...%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Thought this series was going to be a fresh start and a new platform to attract new viewers and those who have switched off but apparently not as they're still playing to the fans by bringing in the original Cyberman. And by original, I mean those from the 60s...

They do look creepy but... they also look like they're from the 60s! drama.gif I know Peter has been banging on about wanting to bring them back so it just feels like its a move to satisfy him as well as the fans. With the show struggling to keep casual viewers, this is competely the wrong move imo. It should be looking to become more accessible again and only include a few casual references to the past. Since Peter was the Doctor, it seems Moffat has wrote more and more for the fans through completely explicit references to the show's 50+ year history which has alienated viewers. sad.gif

Anyway, they'll be back in the two part finale which also features Missy.

EDIT: oh Joseph beat me to it laugh.gif

+Quote this post
T Boy
post 8th March 2017, 08:37 PM
Post #99
Group icon
Radical Pink Troll
User: 177

They may appear more scary but in 2017 they don't look very threatening.

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 8th March 2017, 08:55 PM
Post #100
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
User: 13,530

On the bright side, filming pictures are showing the Cybus Cybermen and the most recent design are present too which hopefully will prevent alienating the casual viewers at least.

+Quote this post

22 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 26th April 2024, 12:38 PM