BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Star Trek: Beyond, 22nd July 2016
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Severin
post 14th December 2015, 06:09 PM
Post #1
Group icon
Mansonette
User: 9,872

The first trailer has dropped and... personally I think this looks awful.
It's too soon to know, of course and I'll doubtless go and see it.

Thoughts?
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 15th December 2015, 06:47 PM
Post #2
Group icon
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
User: 12,929

It looks better than Into Darkness, not least because it looks not to be a re-hash. The only previous Star Trek film all those clips remind me of is Insurrection and surely it won't be as TV-episody as that one was.

Still too much action for what Star Trek should be really but maybe that's most of it already out there. And the aliens look a bit cringeworthy, I'd honestly prefer some more familiar faces like Cardassians or Romulans playing a big role. Like you, I'll definitely go see it in any case.

+Quote this post
Qween
post 16th December 2015, 12:04 AM
Post #3
Group icon
Schlagerdrottningen
User: 11,709

I'm unsure, because it does look like they're closer to the balance between levity and serious that the first 2 reboot films lacked (quite aside from Into Darkness being a truly awful movie anyway). I really WANT to like it, I hope with it being the 50th there will be surprise cameo appearances and lots of little easter eggs for the fans, well enough hidden of course so that nobody in the general public need feel too ashamed about their viewing of the film, naturally.

+Quote this post
Mart!n
post 20th May 2016, 09:42 AM
Post #4
Group icon
Infamy Infamy they all got it in for me
User: 2

I guess its time to bump this topic up, with the soon to be release Trekkie movie.

+Quote this post
Qween
post 20th May 2016, 12:19 PM
Post #5
Group icon
Schlagerdrottningen

There seems to be ZERO fanfare for this at all. They've done an abysmal job of marketing it. When the new TV series starting sometime NEXT YEAR has more prexence you know it's bad.

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 20th May 2016, 03:37 PM
Post #6
Group icon

Yeah, I know it's coming out but that's only because I care about this sort of thing - how is it going to do anything? Would be a great shame if everyone got put off by Into Darkness being a bit shit (because I know that one really doesn't deserve the title of highest-grossing Trek movie).

+Quote this post
Qween
post 20th May 2016, 04:42 PM
Post #7
Group icon
Schlagerdrottningen

Paramount have already taken a write down on this apparently, it's just a question of how much they lose really. I'm thinking it'll maybe do $350M, which is pretty bad considering the 50th should have been EASY to market and bring in casual fans. I think the main issue for this is JJ's Trek is basically Star Wars, but now the real thing is back there's no place for Star Wars lite.

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 20th May 2016, 07:27 PM
Post #8
Group icon

On balance though, having just come back from a trip to the cinema, out of 6 trailers shown, it was the only one I'm even vaguely interested in seeing, all the rest look like huge tripe - although the trailer did seem a bit more subdued than the rest which surely won't help for general audiences.

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 22nd July 2016, 08:29 PM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 17,376

good movie, a bit of an extended epic TV episode, rather than the mega-plotting of the first and the great villainy of the 2nd. Action-packed, amusing, huge FX, the cast are all great of course, and it's sad seeing Anton for the last time. Idris should have had a bit more human-depth earlier on I thought, and the plotting a bit less rushed actually, it's all very break-neck speed even though it's 2 hours long. Still, it doesn't get boring, 7 or 8 out of 10, but not quite up to the first one's 10/10 and the second's 9/10.

Some nice tributes to Leonard Nimoy and the original cast too during the film, as well as Anton in the credits.

+Quote this post
Mart!n
post 25th July 2016, 03:13 PM
Post #10
Group icon
Infamy Infamy they all got it in for me
User: 2

Good movie from start to finish, it felt more like a 2 part episode of Star Trek though. And the homage to Leonard Nimoy with the picture of the original crew was pretty sentimental, to me it didn't feel anything special, it was intentionally to mark 50 years of Star Trek, I do feel they missed a trick there to do something big. Effects wise was really good, it was a bit heartbreaking with the Enterprise getting blown to bits left, right and centre.

As for future Star Trek movies, it be interesting where they go, with the demise of Anton as Chekov.

Star Trek 4 confirmed

http://www.australianetworknews.com/star-t...rth-joins-cast/

+Quote this post
T Boy
post 27th July 2016, 10:22 AM
Post #11
Group icon
Radical Pink Troll
User: 177

I loved it! It ties with the first as my fave I think. So glad Anton actually had quite a lot to do in this one as we sadly won't be seeing him again sad.gif

+Quote this post
Josh!
post 2nd August 2016, 08:00 PM
Post #12
Group icon
c:
User: 20,692

Another film where I haven't seen any of the films that have come before it but this time I really properly enjoyed this and definitely have an urge to watch some other Trek related things now. I've never really taken much of an interest in anything Star Trek before but this was really damn enjoyable so I've been proved wrong there.

The cast are all fantastic, all the leads are so likeable, especially Chris Pine and Simon Pegg. I know that Jaylah hasn't been in any of the films yet but she was hilarious too so I'm glad that she looks to be a proper member of the team for any future sequels we may get.

The action and CGI was my favourite though, so many cool scenes like the introduction to Yorktown, the little ships moving in formation, the motorbike distraction scene and subsequent escape scene. So many enjoyable moments and I was hooked from right from the start. I know this isn't doing massive numbers at the box office and it's doing worse than the two films before it but I really do hope we get a sequel, especially if the Chris Hemsworth rumours are true as well!

+Quote this post
Qween
post 2nd August 2016, 11:17 PM
Post #13
Group icon
Schlagerdrottningen

Seems like Paramount have already greenlit a 4th film.

+Quote this post
post 3rd August 2016, 11:05 AM
Post #14
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 19,931

It was the worst of the three for me unfortunately. I still fully enjoyed it though. The second was my favourite for sure.

+Quote this post
Qween
post 3rd August 2016, 03:23 PM
Post #15
Group icon
Schlagerdrottningen

What did you like about Into Darkness? I'm just curious because whilst I don't LIKE Star Trek I can see why people do, but Into Darkness is just an abysmal movie from start to finish. One of the worst I've ever seen, in fact.

+Quote this post
DJHazey
post 3rd August 2016, 04:18 PM
Post #16
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 21,783

Jaylah is everything. I need her to be on the bridge in future films somehow. I started stanning midway through the movie. Her look is breath-taking. wub.gif

+Quote this post
Severin
post 3rd August 2016, 04:25 PM
Post #17
Group icon
Mansonette
User: 9,872

QUOTE(Qween @ Aug 3 2016, 04:23 PM) *
What did you like about Into Darkness? I'm just curious because whilst I don't LIKE Star Trek I can see why people do, but Into Darkness is just an abysmal movie from start to finish. One of the worst I've ever seen, in fact.

Most Star Trek fans don't even like Into Darkness and we all know how loyal they are

+Quote this post
Qween
post 3rd August 2016, 05:05 PM
Post #18
Group icon
Schlagerdrottningen

Sorry, I should probably have made it more clear I was referring to the movie Star Trek with that.

+Quote this post
T Boy
post 3rd August 2016, 05:09 PM
Post #19
Group icon
Radical Pink Troll
User: 177

I re watched Into Darkness before this one and it held my interest until Benedict Cumberbatch turned up and went on and on about how brilliant he is.

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 5th August 2016, 07:58 PM
Post #20
Group icon

Easily the best of the three reboots for me! I was thinking the last 4 Star Trek movies have kind of turned the old adage of poor odd good even film on their head. So much better than the tripe of Into Darkness that it's not even funny and the first reboot had too much of first movie feel in that not much happened because the characters had to be reintroduced.

I felt it really stuck to the mission of what the franchise is, much more than the last two movies have, not about space battles and weird aliens (which is Wars' forte) but more about camaraderie and characters pulling together as they go through trials, first time I've really felt that with the new cast (and sadly no more of Anton, who had some great stuff, as did they all). That's not to say it was perfect, the plot had the odd hole (it felt way too easy to rescue the crew for instance) and Yorktown felt a tad too fantastical for Trek. If I were to find holes.

But everything about the characters getting separated on the planet, finding Jayla, who's a lovely addition btw, managing to find solutions in the impossible, that's all great and it completely held my interest all the way through.

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 24th April 2024, 04:53 AM