BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
60 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Eurovision Song Contest 2018 · Grand Final, Saturday 12th May at 8pm UK/Lisbon time, 9pm CET
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
AdamAloud
post May 11 2018, 01:25 AM
Post #1
Group icon
I was born 7 million years ago in Sweden, Africa
User: 11,955

The semi finals this year have thrown every Eurovision rule out of the window. Azerbaijan, Romania and Russia all lost their 100% qualification records, with so-called 'diaspora' faves Greece, Armenia and Poland also missing out. Albania, Ireland, Czech Republic and Slovenia all made it though and going into the final, it's Cyprus who are the bookies' favourites. Who would have predicted all this a month ago?

Use this thread to discuss everything leading up to Saturday's big show, including Friday night's dress rehearsal where the juries will decide 50% of the final result. Enjoy it guys, before the terrifying grip of P.E.D consumes us all.

Let the Eurovision Song Contest begin!

01. Ukraine MÉLOVIN - Under The Ladder
02. Spain Alfred & Amaia - Tu Canción
03. Slovenia Lea Sirk - Hvala, Ne!
04. Lithuania Ieva Zasimauskaitė - When We're Old
05. Austria Cesár Sampson - Nobody But You
06. Estonia Elina Nechayeva - La Forza
07. Norway Alexander Rybak - That's How You Write A Song
08. Portugal Cláudia Pascoal - O Jardim
09. United Kingdom SuRie - Storm
10. Serbia Sanja Ilić & Balkanika - Nova Deca
11. Germany Michael Schulte - You Let Me Walk Alone
12. Albania Eugent Bushpepa - Mall
13. France Madame Monsieur - Mercy
14. Czech Republic Mikolas Josef - Lie To Me
15. Denmark Rasmussen - Higher Ground
16. Australia Jessica Mauboy - We Got Love
17. Finland Saara Aalto - Monsters
18. Bulgaria EQUINOX - Bones
19. Moldova DoReDos - My Lucky Day
20. Sweden Benjamin Ingrosso - Dance You Off
21. Hungary AWS - Viszlát Nyár
22. Israel Netta - Toy
23. The Netherlands Waylon - Outlaw In 'Em
24. Ireland Ryan O'Shaughnessy - Together
25. Cyprus Eleni Foureira - Fuego
26. Italy Ermal Meta & Fabrizio Moro - Non Mi Avente Fatto Niente

Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
LexC
post May 11 2018, 01:27 AM
Post #2
Group icon
Attack Dog/Sass Queen
User: 5,342
"Tuesday you had me at hello.
Suddenly it's Saturday...I'm not ready to let go!"

+Quote this post
Umi
post May 11 2018, 02:38 AM
Post #3
Group icon
All I See br29
User: 14,659
Can anyone see Cyprus winning the jury? If so, why? I want to believe, but I can't quite see it.

+Quote this post
nigels
post May 11 2018, 06:13 AM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Climber
User: 4,346
I think that second half could be the best hour of Eurovision I’ve ever seen!!!

+Quote this post
Jerick
post May 11 2018, 10:56 AM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 6,716
I am here for Eleni and Madam Monsieur!

+Quote this post
LexC
post May 11 2018, 11:12 AM
Post #6
Group icon
Attack Dog/Sass Queen
QUOTE(Umi @ May 11 2018, 03:38 AM) *
Can anyone see Cyprus winning the jury? If so, why? I want to believe, but I can't quite see it.

I don't think the juries are as snobby as some people would believe, I think a really well performed contemporary pop song can do really well a la Sweden 2015 so I'd say it's not impossible!

+Quote this post
BillyH
post May 11 2018, 11:26 AM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 6,614
Arrived in Lisbon this morning after a short stopover in Madrid last night (the cheapest way of getting here and back). The waiting hall in Madrid was incredible, everyone around me glued to their smartphones and tablets watching the second semi-final live - it's a big deal here!

Looks like the whole thing has sold much better than Ukraine last year (when you could still buy tickets for the final at this point and the semis were so empty they had to heavily discount the tickets) so I'm hoping for a much better atmosphere than in Kiev, closer to Stockholm 2016 which felt much more of an event. I've deliberately not heard *any* of the songs yet and the jury final tonight will be my first exposure to them - will let you know how it goes!

+Quote this post
danG
post May 11 2018, 11:41 AM
Post #8
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥
User: 11,746
oh yes at Spain getting the death slot *_* was worried the UK would get it, but I suppose with the rulebook thrown out it won't matter too much anyway (still can't see Spain doing well though). Let's hope the UK can somehow avoid bottom five!!1 (lol as if)

that's a great slot for Cyprus, very much expect them to win it now. France coming on after the dull Albania entry is also good news.

+Quote this post
BillyH
post May 11 2018, 09:58 PM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
Thoughts from the jury final! Let me know if you want to know how a particular song went in the arena tonight!

* Intro felt overlong after how nicely speedy 2016 and 2017 were, looooonnggg musical introduction followed by flag parade followed by hosts followed by Song 1. Was a bit relieved by the time Ukraine appeared on stage.

* It's hard to judge the audience response of 'Big 5' countries, as there's simply more audience from them in the arena loudly cheering their faves, but the reaction to Spain's entry was slightly comparable to the second coming of Christ. Even more so than Portugal.

* Bless the crowd support for Surie - even though I feel like she's doomed for a low place everyone sang and cheered along like she'd won the thing. Nice to see her happily chatting away to other artists in the green room and grooving to 'Toy' as well.

* Rybak is POPULAR, guys. Don't rule out a second top ten for him.

* Jessica Mauboy dancing to 'Monsters' as she got to the green room was enjoyable to watch.

* Israel and Cyprus seemed tied for the best and loudest crowd reaction - maybe Cyprus *just* edging it but some particularly loud Netta superfans next to me making it hard to tell. Quietest probably Lithuania and Serbia.

As mentioned I was hearing every song for the first time tonight. I have the family and live finals to refine my choices - some of the big favourites were hard to hear under the crowd noise - but from that first impression, here are my personal jury votes:

12 Estonia
10 Australia
8 Czech Republic
7 Cyprus
6 Israel
5 Finland
4 Hungary
3 Norway
2 Denmark
1 Ireland

Bailed at the interval so I can actually get some sleep before the family final and real thing tomorrow!

+Quote this post
Anton95
post May 12 2018, 06:18 AM
Post #10
Group icon
New Entry
User: 62,973
I'm really looking forward to watch the ESC Grand Final today even though I didn't watch the two semi-finals. I'm so excited to see which country will win this year's Eurovision especially given that there seems to be a decent amount of songs that Eurovision fans claim to be winning the contest.

I live in Canada where I think Eurovision seems to generate less interest and hype here (probably the same for other countries that don't broadcast ESC on TV). I'm not a huge Eurovison fan, but I've been following ESC since 2014. I feel that watching Eurovision is very different compared to X Factor, The Voice and other completion reality 'talent' shows. In those talent shows they are more focused on and driven by contestants, whereas in ESC they are driven by both the songs and the countries who are competing Eurovision. I especially like the fact the singers and their songs are represented by individual countires, and if a country wins Eurovision there is a sense of national pride and unity. The Eurovision songs and their live performances have broader themes (and of course some strange gimmicks!) than in most singing competition shows because every aspect of ESC delves into issues that tackle our society in the world of today - especially the portrayal of LGBT singers that took part in Eurovision.

To me the Eurovision songs (and its singers) are a bit niche and I don't think they will impact the music charts around the world except in Europe. But the fact that Eurovision has a very unique multinational singing competition format, is the most watched entrainment show in Europe, and is the world's longest running singing competition on TV, meant that the ESC pretty much have the cult following among audiences around the world outside Europe - and so do I.

Right now I don't have any favourite Eurovision songs/performances of this year (especially that I don't have my own chosen winner for Eurovision 2018 and that I can't vote for Eurovision because I'm living in Canada), but I'll probably tell my reactions to the ESC Grand Final after watching it. Good luck to all the singers who took part in Eurovision 2018 and to all Buzzjack posters for keeping the Eurovision discussion alive.

+Quote this post
Colm
post May 12 2018, 07:41 AM
Post #11
Group icon
Yes, it's me.
User: 9,885
I'm holding a Eurovision party tonight. I invited lots of people thinking that most of them wouldn't turn up. Most of them are coming and three of them are bringing +1s.

Just listened through the finalists again. Still a big fan of Israel, Cyprus and Austria. I originally liked Lithuania not so much.

Ireland is just an Ed Sheeran song but the performance draws me in.

+Quote this post
RobBot
post May 12 2018, 09:28 AM
Post #12
Group icon
I'm in a vewy bad mood, Bwadley.
User: 7,117
Look, I adore plenty of the contenders but I’d be lying to say I won’t now be gutted if Cyprus doesn’t win.

This whole message is going to sound ridiculous but this week has done a lot for me. As of last Wednesday, I was going through relationship troubles and by Sunday, my self confidence and overall mood had just plummeted severely. Following Eurovision the way I have this year, hearing all entries months before for the first time ever, has been so special. This entire week of being engrossed in every rehearsal and every shift in odds has been so exciting. But most of all, Fuego has given me the most almighty of boosts. It might not be a “you are who are you are, love yourself” kinds song but that’s not what I needed. From the minute I watched the Fuego performance, I’ve been utterly obsessed and I’ve walked to work listening to it on repeat every day, and everything surrounding it has given me this real fire under my arse to just smile and dance and be happy.

This has been such a special contest for me and I feel like such a Eurovision fanboy through and through now. Come on Eleni wub.gif

+Quote this post
jakee
post May 12 2018, 09:31 AM
Post #13
Group icon
i thought you wore the hairpiece for style
Pronouns: ·
User: 47
QUOTE(Umi @ May 11 2018, 03:38 AM) *

with this logic isn’t eurovision a permenant pedant?

i give the juries the ability to go with the flow

this isn’t quite eurovision ‘18: the crucible

+Quote this post
LexC
post May 12 2018, 12:21 PM
Post #14
Group icon
Attack Dog/Sass Queen
Up until tonight these two are the joint best ever Cypriot results - Even if Eleni just finishes in the top 4 then these two are about to lose their crown

Also I'm fairly sure that Lisa Andreas was actually from Kent in South East England so at least Cyprus are used to foreigners getting them their best results!

+Quote this post
AdamAloud
post May 12 2018, 12:33 PM
Post #15
Group icon
Mana Mou is OUTSTANDING *.*

In fact, their run from 1997 to 2004 is pretty great tbh.

+Quote this post
BillyH
post May 12 2018, 01:57 PM
Post #16
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
Slovenia tried a slightly different gimmick at the Family Final today, Lea now has a minor freakout and shouts "Stop the music!!" herself. Then gets the audience to sing as before.

My votes remain the same as last night, really feeling Fuego now so wouldn't mind it winning but hope at least all my faves do well!

+Quote this post
AdamAloud
post May 12 2018, 02:12 PM
Post #17
Group icon
The amount of precision and concentration this takes WHILST singing live must be applauded.

+Quote this post
BillyH
post May 12 2018, 03:07 PM
Post #18
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
Already a queue of about 150 of us four hours before the show. And this is just the Standing zone...

+Quote this post
Silas
post May 12 2018, 03:32 PM
Post #19
Group icon
Queen of Soon
User: 3,474
QUOTE(BillyH @ May 12 2018, 02:57 PM) *
Slovenia tried a slightly different gimmick at the Family Final today, Lea now has a minor freakout and shouts "Stop the music!!" herself. Then gets the audience to sing as before.

My votes remain the same as last night, really feeling Fuego now so wouldn't mind it winning but hope at least all my faves do well!

I'd prefer she abandoned it all together, it really doesn't need it.

+Quote this post
Silas
post May 12 2018, 03:36 PM
Post #20
Group icon
Queen of Soon
User: 3,474
QUOTE(AdamAloud @ May 12 2018, 03:12 PM) *
The amount of precision and concentration this takes WHILST singing live must be applauded.

Mad respect. That is an amazing amount of work. They really deserve an award for best stage show of the year.

+Quote this post

60 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 03:30 AM