BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
22 Pages V  « < 6 7 8 9 10 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Doctor Who: Series 10, Christmas Day: Twice Upon a Time
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
T Boy
post Apr 22 2017, 08:24 PM
Post #141
Group icon
Radical Pink Troll
User: 177
Quite enjoyed that episode as well. Very RTD. Looks like Bill will actually travel with the Doctor rather than be picked up and dropped off constantly. I much prefer this way, I never took to that concept.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Mart!n
post Apr 22 2017, 08:35 PM
Post #142
Group icon
Infamy Infamy they all got it in for me
User: 2
I wasn't really gripped by that episode, it felt rather a chore to watch through, there were a few boring bits, I found it more of a filler episode. Next week's episode looks rather good.

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post Apr 22 2017, 08:56 PM
Post #143
Group icon
The owls are not what they seem
Pronouns: He/him
User: 9,232
That was WAY better than it looked outright with emojibots and being written by the same guy who did In The Forest of the Night. I really liked the Brave New World and Black Mirror-esque theme and the isolated world allowed The Doctor and Bill to shine, and there did feel like a genuine sense of darkness. The main issue was the ending...so there was about to be an all out war between man and machine...and so he turned the machines off and then turned them back on again and YAY everything's fine and the people can live in harmony? :/ They clearly ran out of ideas towards the end of the script.

Elephant on the Thames next week *.* Do love a good historical episode.

This post has been edited by Chez Wombat: Apr 22 2017, 08:58 PM

+Quote this post
Klaus
post Apr 22 2017, 10:33 PM
Post #144
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦
User: 17,160
Yes very much enjoyed that again too! Definitely heading more back to the RTD era. A creepy concept, particularly with that Black Mirror vibe of being forced to be happy. Bill was amazing once again too, a really fresh dynamic and new character even with just the second episode shown. Still not point of Nardole yet, bit of a weird character change though with his dismissal of Bill after caring for her last week.

The episode wasn't perfect though. As Chez said, the ending was a bit simplistic and did actually remind me of 'In the Forest of the Night' with there just being a reset and EVERYTHING IS FINE NOW. Are they still dependant on the emotions which means they won't be able to handle grief again? What if the robots don't want to be part of the building now if they're not serving the people anymore? The humans were also very one-diminensional, immediately grabbing some guns (which were on the spaceship because why not??). There were a few patches as well where I felt a bit more action/excitement/drama was needed.

Overall though, it was an enjoyable. Not a classic by any means but FAR better than 'In the Forest of the Night'. The emoji line/aspect worked waaay better than the trailer suggested, the line itself was actually quite a clever bit of dialogue as part of the coversation. laugh.gif

Loved that it jumped straight into next week's episode which also means no Nardole again!! The trailer seemed to be edited quite poorly though.

+Quote this post
HarryBorelli
post Apr 23 2017, 01:17 AM
Post #145
Group icon
The Lady Said Go Home!
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 20,835
Yeah I found it to be a really exiting episode for the most part the only main issue I have is the ending like previously said...just reset and everything is great now?? like who is to say the humans get grief strickened again laugh.gif Very stupid ending. The doctor didnt actually save them it was a bit half-arsed

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post Apr 23 2017, 01:21 AM
Post #146
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
Pronouns: he/him
User: 13,530
I'll also join in with the praise for the episode in general. The setting was stunning, and I love the RTD-style adventures we're getting this series so far, with no overly confusing plotlines. The emojibots were nowhere NEAR as bad as they could've been, and the threat was very interesting too. The resolution was lazy for sure but I can forgive it for now, particularly considering this guy wrote In the Forest of the Night and this is already a huge step up kink.gif Bill remains excellent also, and I really enjoyed the amount of character time we got between her and the Doctor this week.

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post Apr 23 2017, 01:22 AM
Post #147
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed
User: 18,639
Loved the episode!!

Didn't get the ending though, as nothing was mentioned about how the machines will or won't respond to emotions?

It's back to its best and I'm lovin it!

+Quote this post
Klaus
post Apr 23 2017, 10:42 AM
Post #148
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦
Ratings were 4.25m (22.9% share) which is up on the second episode of Series 9 (3.71m)!

Obviously still not amazing but definitely good to see an increase for a show in its 10th series (or even 36th series!!). We'll be getting the official ratings for 'The Pilot' tomorrow too, very interested to see them! Hoping for around 7m but expecting maybe 6.5m.

+Quote this post
Klaus
post Apr 23 2017, 10:55 AM
Post #149
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦
Oh, I was wondering where I recognised the actress from the pre-titles sequence. It was Rani's mum from The Sarah Jane Adventures!!

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post Apr 23 2017, 12:56 PM
Post #150
Group icon
QUOTE(Klaus @ Apr 23 2017, 11:55 AM) *
Oh, I was wondering where I recognised the actress from the pre-titles sequence. It was Rani's mum from The Sarah Jane Adventures!!

I got way too excited upon seeing her kink.gif

Decent ratings, pretty much what I was expecting! A smaller decline from episode 1 to 2 than series 9 too.

+Quote this post
Regina
post Apr 23 2017, 01:44 PM
Post #151
Group icon
Raining Shitter
User: 5,572
I thought it was a really boring episode. It all felt like it was going to build up to something which is why I kept with it, and then....reset button :/

+Quote this post
danG
post Apr 23 2017, 02:54 PM
Post #152
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥
User: 11,746
I'm already liking Bill more than Clara.

Yes the ending was unsatisfying but I thought it was quite a decent episode and I love seeing the ones about humanity in the future anyway.

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post Apr 23 2017, 04:36 PM
Post #153
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,272
I can't remember when I last warmed to a new assistant as quickly as I have with Bill. She's been great so far. I hope the lead-in to the next episode will continue through the series. It's just like some of the old Who.

+Quote this post
Botchia
post Apr 23 2017, 09:00 PM
Post #154
Group icon
I Drink Wine
User: 21,753
As a couple of others have said, I was expecting a 'In The Forest of the Night' type mess, so I was pleasantly surprised! A bit like the opener, it was solid but nothing special really. I really like Bill though, she's such a breath of fresh air after Amy and in particular Clara.

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post Apr 23 2017, 09:03 PM
Post #155
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed
User: 18,639
QUOTE(Klaus @ Apr 23 2017, 11:55 AM) *

Ahhh yeah!!

Lol at the SJA when Rani knew everything about the 9 Day Queen and could recognise her easily!

I think Bill is great.

The last time I took to a companion so quickly was either waaay back for Rose or for Amelia. I took to Catherine Tate ... eventually, but more for her comedic connection with Tennet.

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post Apr 29 2017, 07:27 PM
Post #156
Group icon
Thin Ice was another solid episode! Not sure I enjoyed it quite as much as the last two but the quality is pretty consistent so far, and Bill is continuing to be brilliant. The next time trailer looks VERY intriguing ohmy.gif

+Quote this post
Slick
post Apr 29 2017, 07:36 PM
Post #157
Group icon
electric butterflies
User: 70
I'm seeing a real concerted effort by the Doctor Who team to return to the days of less complicated standalone stories and a straightforward companion who is just blown away by her travels. Today's episode reminded me of Series 2/3 Doctor Who.

I adore the more complex episodes from Series 6, 7, 9 etc. but that's not what the show needs and I think so far Series 10 has got it spot on.

+Quote this post
Klaus
post Apr 29 2017, 07:40 PM
Post #158
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦
Feel like I'm going to be saying this every week but Bill is literally incredible. Could actually become my favourite companion by the end of the series! ohmy.gif I just don't get why they've put all her worst moments in the trailers??

Her reactions to being in the past were really well done, both in relation to changing time and the colour of her skin. I liked that both were also carried throughout the episode without taking over the episode. Really loved her reaction to the child dying to, was brilliantly acted and her response to the Doctor was really well done. Also her response to the guard dying, because I was thinking that was quite brutal of the Doctor!!

Sarah Dollard is a fantastic writer, going by this and Face the Raven, she really gets the pace right and brings in some interesting aspect. I would have a criticism that the beast in captivity is something we've seen before, particularly with the Beast Below which shared a similar solution. However, there were enough interesting aspects elsewhere that can make me overlook this. I LOVED the setting, brilliant production there and the aspects of the street children were great.

The best part was really the dialogue, both the Doctor and Bill's conversations were great, particularly with those political undertones when they were meeting the 'villain' kink.gif

Definitely is following the more simpler storylines but ones with a lot of substance, and certainly the most it has felt like the RTD era since he obviously left! Hopefully the standard continues and it could become my favourite series of the Moffatt era.

Really intrigued as to what is in the vault!

+Quote this post
Botchia
post Apr 29 2017, 08:25 PM
Post #159
Group icon
I Drink Wine
User: 21,753
That was a brilliant episode, the best yet imo. Bill really is a fantastic companion, nothing complicated, just an ordinary person enjoying their travels with very human emotions and responses to things. Going back to basics has really worked wonders!

The racism scene and human decency speech was incredible as well.

As Klaus said, it feels the closest to the RTD era since he left. Probably one of the better history ones they've done as well.

Next week does look very intriguing ohmy.gif And also haven't got a clue what might be in the Vault. So yeah, Doctor Who is seemingly back in a much better place than it has been the last couple of series!

+Quote this post
Regina
post Apr 29 2017, 08:30 PM
Post #160
Group icon
Raining Shitter
User: 5,572
First episode i've properly loved this series and finally warming to Bill. She's not Rory but then WHO IS.

+Quote this post

22 Pages V  « < 6 7 8 9 10 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 08:31 PM