BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> Personal Charts

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Jupiter 2017: Week #19, quiet week...only 15 new entries! // + links + writeup
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
J00prstar
post 8th May 2017, 09:22 PM
Post #1
Group icon
there's nothing straight about plump Elvis
Pronouns: they/any
User: 22,895

May kicks off with a third week at the top for the Chainsmokers and Jhene Aiko. Wake Up Alone follows previous Chainsmokers tracks Closer and Don’t Let Me Down in notching up at least three weeks in the top 5. It’s also the producers’ highest peaking track so far on my charts, as well as only the second #1 this year to reach the three-week mark. Wake Up Alone is chased hard this week by Gaga’s The Cure, re-peaking this week at #2 and becoming Gaga’s joint-highest charter after Perfect Illusion. Flame notches up a fourth week in the top 5 this week and Martin Solveig’s Places lands its first, soaring up from last week’s #10.

Straight behind come two new entries, Katy Perry’s Bon Appetit and Wale, Major Lazer and Dua Lipa’s My Love. I’ve heard mixed reception for both tracks, but I’ve been firmly on the enjoyment bus since day 1. Bon Appetit especially is literally just Katy Perry doing her own spin on Drake. It’ll be a grower, I think. Other new entries this week come from Fall Out Boy, Easyfun and Noonie Bao, Shawn Mendes, Charli XCX, Cardiknox, Harry Styles, another from Felix Snow, Kygo, Carly Rae Jepsen, Stargate, and a few more too. Getting down to it then, we’ve got the chart list below for the top 40 covering up to this first week of May.

Look out for my later posts in this thread for some new entry links and commentary!

01 Chainsmokers ft. Jhené Aiko – Wake Up Alone [14-1-1-1]
02 Lady Gaga - The Cure [15-3-2]
03 David Guetta ft. Nicki Minaj + Lil Wayne – Light My Body Up [3-4-3]
04 Tinashe - Flame [18-5-2-2-4]
05 Martin Solveig ft. Ina Wroldsen - Places [10-5]
06 Katy Perry ft. Migos - Bon Appetit [N]
07 Wale ft. Major Lazer, Dua Lipa, WizKid - My Love [N]
08 Kendrick Lamar - Humble [35-6-5-8]
09 Charli XCX ft. Uffie - Babygirl [27-9]
10 Dua Lipa ft. Miguel - Lost in Your Light [8-10]
11 Little Dragon - Sweet [21-11]
12 Fall Out Boy - Young and Menace [N]
13 Easyfun ft. Noonie Bao - Monopoly [N]
14 Two Door Cinema Club - Je Viens De La [18-14]
15 Shawn Mendes - There's Nothing Holding Me Back [N]
16 Wild Belle - Throw Down Your Guns [12-16]
17 Cardiknox - Perfect Storm [N]
18 Whethan ft. Charli XCX - Love Gang [N]
19 Jason Derulo, Nicki Minaj + Ty Dolla $ign - Swalla [34-3-2-2-4-X3-37-13-19]
20 Alt-J - 3WW [39-32-22-20]
21 Gryffin + Illenium ft. Daya - Feel Good [22-14-9-21]
22 M0 - Nights With You [14-22]
23 Little Mix - No More Sad Songs [14-28-22-28-X14-33-4-11-23]
24 Steps - No More Tears on the Dancefloor [16-24]
25 Stargate ft. P!nk + Sia - Waterfall [N]
26 Kiiara ft. Felix Snow - Whippin [34-39-26]
27 Gorillaz ft. D.R.A.M. - Andromeda [24-19-27]
28 Harry Styles - Sign of the Times [N]
29 Felix Snow ft. Icona Pop - Windows [N]
30 Harper - Back-Fire [N]
31 Kygo ft. Ellie Goulding - First Time [N]
32 Anne-Marie - Ciao Adios [11-7-23-32]
33 Iggy Azalea - Mo Bounce [38-25-33]
34 Elina Born - In or Out [26-34]
35 Carly Rae Jepsen - Fever [N]
36 Hailee Steinfeld - Most Girls [N]
37 SZA - Drew Barrymore [40-37]
38 Foster the People - Pay the Man [N]
39 Sigrid - Plot Twist [34-39]
40 NoMBe - Young Hearts [N]

#1s this year:
Fickle Friends – Brooklyn (2)
Dua Lipa – Be The One (3)
Ed Sheeran – Castle On the Hill (1)
Tal – Slow Down the Flow (1)
Martin Garrix & Dua Lipa – Scared To Be Lonely (2)
Katy Perry ft. Skip Marley – Chained To The Rhythm (2)
Calvin Harris ft. Frank Ocean + Migos – Slide (2)
Nicki Minaj ft. Drake + Lil Wayne – No Frauds (1)
Era Istrefi ft. Felix Snow – Redrum (2)
Chainsmokers ft. Jhené Aiko – Wake Up Alone (~)

Spotify Link to my weekly A-List playlist = {click here}

This post has been edited by 360Jupiter: 11th May 2017, 08:45 AM
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post 9th May 2017, 07:49 PM
Post #2
Group icon
Buy yourself a car, and a house in Devon
User: 23,247

Hi Jupiter

Great to see Places still climbing! Glad it's been doing so well officially!

Nice to see Shawn here as well! If there was less music around atm it may have charted on mine...

Great to see First Time & Waterfall enter as well!

Great chart biggrin.gif

+Quote this post
Dobbo
post 9th May 2017, 09:14 PM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 20,053

Hi Jupiter!

That Walé song is pretty good! With those features I would expect it to be doing a lot better commercially

Great new entry there in Monopoly, a BJSC winner no less (would be great to see you take part in this comp actually!)

Liking the Shawn & Harry tracks atm too.

Nice chart smile.gif

+Quote this post
J00prstar
post 11th May 2017, 07:50 AM
Post #4
Group icon

Lots of shuffling in the chart again this week as for the third week running there's more than ten new entries. After a dearth of new music for the last four months since Christmas, I guess I'm happy there's a lot of new tracks, but it's messing up my runs... grr, first world problems. No, I'm liking that there's a lot of new stuff out there really, and it's entirely my fault if not everything I like is making it into top 40.

Swalla and No More Sad Songs are joint longest-runners this week again, both buffed up by it being their second bite at the cherry. Quite a few tracks reach new peaks this week, while others are pushed down more by the wave of new entries than by picking up less plays themselves.

New entries-wise, I've decided to work backwards this week to switch things up a bit. I'll also be splitting it into two posts again. So, without further ado ~

Squeaking into the top 40 this week is NoMBe's Young Hearts. I have no idea how the dude's name is pronounced. He's been on my radar a wee while, I enjoyed his track California Girls (no relation to Katy Perry) back in 2015, but that's been about it between now and then. Young Hearts came close to charting the last two or three weeks, but was pipped to the post each time by stiff competition. A real smooth track with acoustic early-summer vibes.

Harry Styles debuts after taking a few weeks to build up steam. Sign of the Times is a brave release, completely off-trend and nothing like anything in the charts right now, singles or albums, but if anyone had the public favour and star power to do it, it was 1D's ex- lead man. Of the four 1D boys who've released so far, this is the second-lowest appearance right now - Niall hasn't yet made a blip on my radar, although Slow Hands is a big step in the right direction - but may grow over time. It should be a consistent seller for him, in any case - and what a video!

I'd been feeling a lack of Carly Rae in my life and so decided, now we're into 2017, to revisit Emotion Side B. I'd earmarked some tracks at the time as ones I'd probably like later, as well as rationing the album for myself, rationalising she wouldn't be releasing again for a while. Fever is of course, a typical modern Carly Rae love song, frantic, shimmery, synthy, with a wonderfully unashamed pure pop arrangement. It becomes her third charter from Side B, following Higher and First Time.

No two ways about it, I was thrilled when Foster the People surprise-dropped a new EP on us a week or so ago, even if only a three-track. I've been a fan since their first album back in 2011, the summer when Pumped Up Kicks catapulted them to success, and unlike the wider public, I found their second album and its material even better than the first. Even so, after the mixed reaction and the members' work on their own projects, I had my doubts that there'd be an album #3, so I didn't get my hopes up. Pay the Man's the first charting track from the new EP (creatively titled III), and is the most similar to their previous work on albums #1 and #2.

Newcomer Harper charts a second track in the space of a month. Unlike previous scorer Too Late, which was nowhere to be found on youtube, soundcloud, or her website, this one actually has a link to share despite being that bit older. Back-Fire lands ten places higher, too. It's another from the stable of indiegirl trying her hand at pop that's usually the kind of track I enjoy.

This is okay. I expected better for a Kygo-Ellie collab, especially as it's not their first. Kygo seems to be pulling back a little from the style of production that initially marked him out and gave him his own sound, which I'm not sure how I feel about. As for Ellie, she doesn't have a lot to do here, more's the shame, because she's shown herself to have exactly the right kind of vocal for harder EDM fare time and time again, from Zedd to Madeon to Skrillex. I also don't quite buy the delivery of the lyrics about smoking and being a bad girl when that's never been her persona. Still, it's good to hear from her after a while - and a song that's not a dreary ballad, too! She's better than those.

Hailee Steinfeld makes her bid to move up a division with this one. Only time will tell how it works out for her. It has, of course, all the ingredients of being a huge international pop hit - but so did Tinashe's unfortunate Flame, and even SuperLove. Solid pop song with a good message that subverts what you might expect from the title.

It finally lands after being released to mixed reviews from fans and critics alike a few months ago. I still find Waterfall a bit of a disappointment compared to what it could have been, especially as it features the adamantly-against-features P!nk on a rare guest appearance, but its slower tempo and dancehall influence gradually grew on me. Without the expectations, its not a bad wee song, and definitely gutsy to request two such strong and high-profile featured artists. They must have been really convinced it'd be a hit! Awkward...

Part II to come! Ty for comments so far and anyone else with thoughts or comments, welcome to post them biggrin.gif

+Quote this post
J00prstar
post 11th May 2017, 07:55 AM
Post #5
Group icon

QUOTE(PeteFromLeeds @ May 9 2017, 08:49 PM) *
Hi Jupiter

Great to see Places still climbing! Glad it's been doing so well officially!

Nice to see Shawn here as well! If there was less music around atm it may have charted on mine...

Great to see First Time & Waterfall enter as well!

Great chart biggrin.gif

Thanks Pete biggrin.gif Places is fab, easily my fave of the three you mention there tongue.gif

I'll take a wee look at yours for the week unless I've done so already and forgotten ohmy.gif

QUOTE(Dobbo @ May 9 2017, 10:14 PM) *
Hi Jupiter!

That Walé song is pretty good! With those features I would expect it to be doing a lot better commercially

Great new entry there in Monopoly, a BJSC winner no less (would be great to see you take part in this comp actually!)

Liking the Shawn & Harry tracks atm too.

Nice chart smile.gif

Monopoly is great! I knew of both acts before, its always great when two you know of have a collaboration. So often it's very random pairings, too...

How does BJSC work? I'm gradually doing more competitions and things but it seems its own wee world there, I don't know where I'd start!

Yeah I am loving the Wale/Lipa song, at the rate it's going it'll be a contender for #1 in the weeks upcoming!

+Quote this post
J00prstar
post 13th May 2017, 03:15 PM
Post #6
Group icon

It appears I miscounted; there are actually 16 new entries this week. Next week should be a little more stable as the rush of new releases has tailed off a little, but having said that, I bet you've all been enjoying so much new music to discover as much as I have as you've been reading along!

On to new entries part II:

Katy Perry dropped a new one to mixed reviews this month. Personally I like it a lot, it's very much just a Drake song done by Katy with slightly different instrumentation, and I never listen to lyrics that much anyway. I saw these as tongue in cheek, too. Unfortunately, she's also promoting the track with an absolutely hideous, disturbing and almost disgusting video that's perhaps meant to be equally tongue-in-cheek, but falls very wide off the mark. Don't subject yourself to it. This week's #6

Ended up liking this track a lot more than I expected to when it was announced. Given the calibre of the names involved, I'm surprised there's not bee more attention paid it online and by radio playlisters. There's shades of Galantis and 2016 AlunaGeorge here, and peak Major Lazer, as the song works its dancehall elements strongly and Lipa weaves in and out of the beat. Debuting strongly, this also should rise next week, it's a pretty addictive tune.

Another one now people were initially mixed on in the track thread. I think I'm probably one of the only people my age who wasn't a teenage Fall Out Boy fan, so I find myself able to look with clearer eyes at their new stuff. Young and Menace has an interesting soft-to-loud structure, and shows the band, like Paramore, evolving into a new version of themselves from their pop-punk-emo roots. I'm here for that. Most strongly, this track reminds me of Twenty One Pilots and Sleigh Bells, the latter of which I'm also a massive fan of.

This one's been on my radar since the end of 2016, when Noonie Bao notched up a #1 and another top 20. It took a while for me to be in the mood for it and for other music to come around that it would fit on a playlist with, which is why it's only charting now. It's a Galantis-esque track with some 8-bit elements, and manages a strong debut amongst this week's other newies.

This is a new one for me. Normally I don't go for music or artists like this, but this isn't a bad wee song. Fair play to lads like Shawn Mendes, they're made and aiming for a target market that's not me. I'm sure in 2-3 years this will be the next Bieber having reinvented himself into an adult star, and by then I'llve changed my tune.

Absolutely love this. 80s vibes, unashamedly, similar to previous #1 Fickle Friends' Brooklyn. Track speaks for itself. If you like Cardiknox, consider passing them on or buying their tracks and album, they're only wee and starting out trying to make it work. It's the band's third charter for me following What Do I Do Now and Into The Night.

Actually not, as I'd previously thought, the first Whethan track to come to my attention, despite the producer's young age. Great and original production on this one, rasping, loud bass. It's another track in Charli XCX's renaissance with me; over the past year I've gone from being reluctantly tolerant of her to being a fan. To be fair, she was promoted really hard at first which was offputting. Her track 1 Night with Mura Masa is getting a commercial push at the minute, but I feel this one's a lot more deserving and better.

Last one this week, and the third of a hat trick for Felix Snow this year. As a chillwave and obscure EDM subgenre longtime fan, I've been aware of Mr Snow for probably at least 3 years, but its only recently he's been dipping a toe into higher-profile collaborators instead of up-and-coming indie vocalists. This one with Icona Pop (of I Love It fame) follows Whippin with Kiiara and Redrum with Era Istrefi on to my personals. It's probably the closest to straight pop of the three, with a cool, cult classic styled vid.

And that's us for the week. Thoughts? Anything you liked? Hated?

Also, should I start to do a dropouts section on the first post? I've seen a few charts that do so for clarity.

Cheers folks!

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 23rd April 2024, 05:49 PM