BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> What do you like in a BJSC host?
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
✖ leww ✖
post Jan 29 2017, 10:20 PM
Post #1
Group icon
escape in the taste of summerrrrrr
User: 9,403
This is something I've been thinking about recently, especially with hosting three contests back-to-back (90 final results / TBO / 91) and when preparing I always wonder what it is that everybody likes most about hosting and making sure to deliver on it.

I think for me my favourite contests are always dictated by a strong, consistent pace as well as good time-keeping so not having results way later / delayed. I also love when you can put trust in the presentation to at least not be too complex / unreadable / busy / full of errors etc.

My fave contest of recent times is definitely the BJSC 75 hosting job, most notably the final results - the red tide, Bré's flawless formatting etc. was just so spot-on and was really, really well done!

What do you like in your contests, what's your favourite BJSCs to date, and what would you like to see that you maybe haven't got to see yet?
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
*Tim
post Jan 29 2017, 10:39 PM
Post #2
Group icon
Bitch of t seet
User: 16,660
I want it to be as much a hot mess as can be

+Quote this post
lotita
post Jan 29 2017, 10:40 PM
Post #3
Group icon
feminist icon
Pronouns: she/her
User: 21,777
the titti beat up gifs were iconic

+Quote this post
Klumzee
post Jan 29 2017, 10:44 PM
Post #4
Group icon
#TeamAnneMarie
User: 11,421
Honestly they don't have to be flashy or full of graphics just very easy to understand and clean! I also enjoy a results show with the voting order being pre-determined (hence why I opted for it when I hosted!) used to love it when Tirren did it back in the day and there was no question I'd do the same when I finally got the chance!

Like Leww said, having a host who sticks to their times they've set out is a real bonus! Doesn't seem to much of an issue nowadays but I remember it so much more from when I first started in BJSC.

I do love a good TWIST also.

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post Jan 29 2017, 11:20 PM
Post #5
Group icon
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
User: 12,929
QUOTE(Klumzee @ Jan 29 2017, 10:44 PM) *
Honestly they don't have to be flashy or full of graphics just very easy to understand and clean! I also enjoy a results show with the voting order being pre-determined (hence why I opted for it when I hosted!) used to love it when Tirren did it back in the day and there was no question I'd do the same when I finally got the chance!

Oh definitely. That and not knowing what order the host has opted for. So many people ask whether it's in order of receipt or not and I don't get it, just let the host set up the show to do the reveal as dramatic as possible. Doing it out of order if the host can manage it is normally better for entertainment's sake as if it's an order of receipt, firstly, people tend to vote in a similar order so you always have the same few people at the beginning and end, secondly and more importantly, if something starts running away with it on an order of receipt show you're pretty sure it'll be set as that result because the host hasn't set it up for something to come out of nowhere. We'd lose the discussion about the 'early country-pop vote' but I'd think we'd LIVE.

Generally I also like the host to show their personality and flair (even if it's not my thing because god knows when/if I host you're getting a show that's all me so that's only fair), add extra commentary if they can and crack a few jokes, always have the song and country names, some beautiful graphics are helpful but aren't the be all and end all, keep a reasonable pace. Not too much to ask.

+Quote this post
Cameron
post Jan 29 2017, 11:21 PM
Post #6
Group icon
THE BLAZE *.*
User: 18,061
lew

+Quote this post
Jade
post Jan 29 2017, 11:34 PM
Post #7
Group icon
Alone and wounded
Pronouns: She/her
User: 12,810
EFFORT is key for memorable and well received hosting for me. Whether this is going the extra mile for graphics, adding commentary or little quirks like red tide/countryballs/the country GIFs etc. I knew I wouldn't be able to deliver amazing graphics like Leww does so my idea of going the extra mile for my hosting was commentary and making the YT recaps.

I do understand how time consuming just collecting votes is though, so this isn't something I'd expect from every host. At the end of the day, as long as results are clear, double-checked, not delayed for years and done at a decent pace then that's something I'll be happy with. Also as Iz mentioned, the continual inclusion of both country and artist/song name is always helpful for following results too.

+Quote this post
LexC
post Jan 29 2017, 11:35 PM
Post #8
Group icon
Attack Dog/Sass Queen
User: 5,342
No scoreboard lockdowns (although the era of people trying to make that a thing looks to have passed now thankfully) but that's more of a pet peeve. In general just easily legible, well paced and on time. Visual spectacle is a nice bonus but it's not really an essential for me.

+Quote this post
danG
post Jan 29 2017, 11:39 PM
Post #9
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥
User: 11,746
Being Leww or Bré helps.

but yeah, being organised and good presentation* are key. it's quite annoying when song titles are left out of results and also when positions are left out of running results tables.

*doesn't have to be spectacular graphics but easy to follow/read is key

+Quote this post
✖ leww ✖
post Jan 29 2017, 11:42 PM
Post #10
Group icon
escape in the taste of summerrrrrr
User: 9,403
awww thanks guys lmao - i always think people just get bored of my contests cos it is just graphics / vote reveal and scoreboard cos i can never be bothered with commentary sad.gif what would u guys like to see from me for when i host again cos lets be honest if its not another contest of my own itll be another tbo

+Quote this post
Brer
post Jan 29 2017, 11:47 PM
Post #11
Group icon
I'll just stick around and do some more damage
User: 8,300
Keeping a consistent pace with results and sticking to planned dates (where possible, obviously semi-finals having to be delayed due to late vetoes for example is out of the host's control) is enough to make a good host for me and anything above and beyond that is just an extra, I know it's ridiculously time consuming to host this contest, I only managed to make my contests a bit more 'flashy' because I literally have nothing better to do 90% of the time lmao. There haven't really been many bad hosts.

One specific 'above and beyond' thing that I always love is when people make recaps for the semis, I never expect people to do this because I know first-hand it is a huge amount of effort for questionable payback (as idk how many people actually make use of them), but hats off to Pavel, Dan and Jade for making these during their contests (and anyone else I may be forgetting x), and also even moreso to Iz for slavishly making 20 of them per year for the end-of-year contests.

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post Jan 30 2017, 12:19 AM
Post #12
Group icon
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
User: 12,929
QUOTE(Cucumberella @ Jan 29 2017, 11:42 PM) *
awww thanks guys lmao - i always think people just get bored of my contests cos it is just graphics / vote reveal and scoreboard cos i can never be bothered with commentary sad.gif what would u guys like to see from me for when i host again cos lets be honest if its not another contest of my own itll be another tbo

Nooo, your graphics more than make up for not doing commentary, they sort of do the speaking for you. One or the other works, it's just when people do neither and act like they couldn't be bothered when people notice.

When you host again I don't know, you always have a new graphic style as standard but also like just making it your own contest, however that is, we'll enjoy it.

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 04:47 AM