BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Hit albums you bought...but soon wished you hadn't!
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
osker
post 13th April 2009, 08:57 AM
Post #1
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 87

Madonna's "Ray Of Light" is the stand out one for me. Just a week after buying it, I gave it away to a friend who wanted it.

I felt pretty much the same about Manic Street Preacher's "This Is My Truth, Tell Me Yours", at first. After a few listens, though, I changed my mind about that one and I like it now.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Mushymanrob
post 14th April 2009, 06:46 AM
Post #2
Group icon
im all clares!
User: 5

oh lord.... quite a few really,

cockney rebel - the psycomodo
wizzard - wizzards brew
focus - moving waves
police - outlandos d'amour

tbh i found that most albums were more likely to be crap with the best tracks being released as singles.... though 'dare' , 'searching for the young soul rebels', and 'never mind the bollocks' were noteable exceptions.

+Quote this post
GRIMLY FIENDISH
post 14th April 2009, 03:49 PM
Post #3
Group icon
Always wear a clean pair of knickers, cos you never know when th
User: 190

QUOTE(osker @ Apr 13 2009, 09:57 AM) *
I felt pretty much the same about Manic Street Preacher's "This Is My Truth, Tell Me Yours", at first. After a few listens, though, I changed my mind about that one and I like it now.

I was astoundingly disappointed with that album.... Still dont like it....

U2's "Rattle and Hum" was an album I thought was self-indulgent and just utter pish..... rolleyes.gif

Metallica's "...And Justice for All" I found a rather big disappointment coming after the excellent "Master of Puppets"... Though it was not as bad as "St Anger", a truly awful album....

Nirvana's "Nevermind" - I hated the production, and the totally over-produced, sanitized way in which Butch Vig made the band sound... Live, the songs were powerful, raw and exciting, but you'd sure as hell never realise that by listening to the album which just made them sound like soft, moderate, chart-friendly fodder..... I'm glad I have live bootlegs and demo versions of the songs off that album....

The Verve - "Urban Hymns" - Another huge let-down... I was a fan of the early stuff, "A Storm in Heaven" and the early EPs are just amazing Space-rock, and "A Northern Soul" is just so full of "fukk you" attitude, but "Urban Hymns" was just tired, uninspired 'Dad Rock' as far as I'm concerned.... rolleyes.gif

Coldplay - "Parachutes" - WTF???????? laugh.gif laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Chris.
post 14th April 2009, 06:00 PM
Post #4
Group icon
Everything goes numb
User: 4,561

QUOTE(GRIMLY FIENDISH @ Apr 14 2009, 04:49 PM) *
I was astoundingly disappointed with that album.... Still dont like it....

U2's "Rattle and Hum" was an album I thought was self-indulgent and just utter pish..... rolleyes.gif

Metallica's "...And Justice for All" I found a rather big disappointment coming after the excellent "Master of Puppets"... Though it was not as bad as "St Anger", a truly awful album....

Nirvana's "Nevermind" - I hated the production, and the totally over-produced, sanitized way in which Butch Vig made the band sound... Live, the songs were powerful, raw and exciting, but you'd sure as hell never realise that by listening to the album which just made them sound like soft, moderate, chart-friendly fodder..... I'm glad I have live bootlegs and demo versions of the songs off that album....

The Verve - "Urban Hymns" - Another huge let-down... I was a fan of the early stuff, "A Storm in Heaven" and the early EPs are just amazing Space-rock, and "A Northern Soul" is just so full of "fukk you" attitude, but "Urban Hymns" was just tired, uninspired 'Dad Rock' as far as I'm concerned.... rolleyes.gif

Coldplay - "Parachutes" - WTF???????? laugh.gif laugh.gif

you didnt like "...And Justice..."? I think its a great album ohmy.gif although i do perfer "Master of Puppets" by far, but then again, i was about at the time for either laugh.gif

+Quote this post
GRIMLY FIENDISH
post 14th April 2009, 07:00 PM
Post #5
Group icon

QUOTE(Chr*s. @ Apr 14 2009, 07:00 PM) *
you didnt like "...And Justice..."? I think its a great album ohmy.gif although i do perfer "Master of Puppets" by far, but then again, i was about at the time for either laugh.gif

I just thought it was really quite boring tbh.... There were obviously high points like "Blackened", "One" and "Harvester of Sorrow", but I'd really just so loved "Master of Puppets", and actually saw them tour with that album as a mere lad of 15... laugh.gif, that the anticipation of "...And Justice" was so great, and especially given that they'd gotten a new bass player as well, that it all just seemed a bit underwhelming when it actually came out.... I suppose it was maybe just a bit too technical... I was 16 when it came out, I was really expecting "Master, part two", and got this rather awkward, technical and rather dull album instead..... I appreciate it a bit more now because I listen to stuff like Tool and Mastodon, but for years I just thought "...And Justice.." was a bit of a letdown....

And then they did "Enter Sandman", and I was just blown away with that..... A classic tune...

+Quote this post
Chris.
post 14th April 2009, 07:14 PM
Post #6
Group icon
Everything goes numb
User: 4,561

QUOTE(GRIMLY FIENDISH @ Apr 14 2009, 08:00 PM) *
I just thought it was really quite boring tbh.... There were obviously high points like "Blackened", "One" and "Harvester of Sorrow", but I'd really just so loved "Master of Puppets", and actually saw them tour with that album as a mere lad of 15... laugh.gif, that the anticipation of "...And Justice" was so great, and especially given that they'd gotten a new bass player as well, that it all just seemed a bit underwhelming when it actually came out.... I suppose it was maybe just a bit too technical... I was 16 when it came out, I was really expecting "Master, part two", and got this rather awkward, technical and rather dull album instead..... I appreciate it a bit more now because I listen to stuff like Tool and Mastodon, but for years I just thought "...And Justice.." was a bit of a letdown....

And then they did "Enter Sandman", and I was just blown away with that..... A classic tune...

im so jealous of all these great musical things you have had like seeing Metallica on the Master of Puppets tour at 15 and sharing a spliff with Kurt Cobain.

ive seen loads of bands but i dont think anything compares really sad.gif

+Quote this post
richie
post 17th April 2009, 08:12 AM
Post #7
Group icon
Poet and Storyteller
User: 166

Morning Glory by Oasis - oh, I convinced myself it was as good as Definitely Maybe but it bloody well wasn't.

Play by Moby - I bought it just before Porcelain became ubiquitous on the radio and couldn't stomach it after about a week.

+Quote this post
Kath
post 17th April 2009, 11:40 PM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 2,980

Well there's a couple of Steely Dan albums I bought (just for certain tracks). Had I known at the time that 'iTunes' was in the works ... I would have waited!!!!!!!

Norma

This post has been edited by Norma_Snockers: 17th April 2009, 11:40 PM

+Quote this post
All★bySmashMouth
post 18th April 2009, 10:52 AM
Post #9
Group icon
former insolent era FM11
Pronouns: he
User: 7,795

Bit off-topic, but my brother has tons of (non-hit) albums that he wished he hadn't bought, because he's not even interested in listening to it. laugh.gif

For me, I don't remember what I've regretted. thinking.gif

+Quote this post
crazy chris
post 22nd April 2009, 10:31 PM
Post #10
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 53

Radiohead - OK Computer. Absolutely crap. Glad it was in a HMV sale so didn't pay a lot. The Bends isn't bad at all, some decent tunes on there like Just.

Agree with Grimley about Urban Hymns. Rubbish apart from the hit singles.

+Quote this post
crazy chris
post 22nd April 2009, 10:32 PM
Post #11
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

QUOTE(richie @ Apr 17 2009, 09:12 AM) *
Morning Glory by Oasis - oh, I convinced myself it was as good as Definitely Maybe but it bloody well wasn't.

No it's far better than DM.

+Quote this post
I ❤ JustinBieber
post 24th April 2009, 06:27 PM
Post #12
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 6,934

Anything Oasis have done since Morning Glory

Anything U2 have done since Rattle and Hum

Anything Queen have done since The Game although there were some good tracks on The Works but Hot Space truly is one of the worst albums ever

+Quote this post
osker
post 24th April 2009, 11:35 PM
Post #13
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 87

QUOTE(B.A Baracus @ Apr 24 2009, 07:27 PM) *
Anything Oasis have done since Morning Glory

Anything U2 have done since Rattle and Hum

Anything Queen have done since The Game although there were some good tracks on The Works but Hot Space truly is one of the worst albums ever

I think Definitely Maybe and What's The Story... are such different albums that I'd place them on a par credibility-wise. Whilst Definitely Maybe had an almost consistent quality of very good tracks, What's The Story... had a few classic anthems (Champagne Supernova, She's Electric, Don't Look Back In Anger) amongst a mesh of less inspiring material. Since then, undeniably, the overall quality from Oasis has slipped with a few rare gems surfacing from a quagmire of mediocrity (D'You Know What I Mean, Little By Little, Songbird, The Importance Of Being Idle). Personally, I think a lot of this can be attributed to Noel's (possibly mistaken) loyalty to his brother - which, if certain news stories are to be believed, may be swiftly coming to an end. I'm a little concerned, however, that if Noel takes that route, he may slide towards the direction of the dad-rock persuasion that I feel he appears to be fascinated by.

I'm glad you included Rattle And Hum in your comment, BA - most people seem to dismiss U2 after The Joshua Tree, but I like RnH too.

+Quote this post
ϑЃεβϘ
post 25th April 2009, 01:13 PM
Post #14
Group icon
I Was Born Free
User: 1,751

QUOTE(osker @ Apr 25 2009, 12:35 AM) *
I think Definitely Maybe and What's The Story... are such different albums that I'd place them on a par credibility-wise. Whilst Definitely Maybe had an almost consistent quality of very good tracks, What's The Story... had a few classic anthems (Champagne Supernova, She's Electric, Don't Look Back In Anger) amongst a mesh of less inspiring material. Since then, undeniably, the overall quality from Oasis has slipped with a few rare gems surfacing from a quagmire of mediocrity (D'You Know What I Mean, Little By Little, Songbird, The Importance Of Being Idle). Personally, I think a lot of this can be attributed to Noel's (possibly mistaken) loyalty to his brother - which, if certain news stories are to be believed, may be swiftly coming to an end. I'm a little concerned, however, that if Noel takes that route, he may slide towards the direction of the dad-rock persuasion that I feel he appears to be fascinated by.

I'm glad you included Rattle And Hum in your comment, BA - most people seem to dismiss U2 after The Joshua Tree, but I like RnH too.

Rattle & Hum was a bloated mess of a record and put me right off them for years. Achtung Baby is a much better album.

Have to agree with B.A. about Queen. I loved everything upto The Game. Hot Space is OK but I can't listen to The Works at all anymore. It's a hideous album. Maybe it's because the singles off it were so overplayed.

+Quote this post
GRIMLY FIENDISH
post 25th April 2009, 04:47 PM
Post #15
Group icon

QUOTE(osker @ Apr 25 2009, 12:35 AM) *
I'm glad you included Rattle And Hum in your comment, BA - most people seem to dismiss U2 after The Joshua Tree,

I'm afraid I sort of dismissed U2 after "Unforgettable Fire"...... laugh.gif laugh.gif

"Joshua Tree" has its moments, as does "Achtung Baby", but these days.... Oh dear, just rather over-rated, over-hyped..... Probably wouldn't be quite so bad if Bono quit thinking that he's cross between Nelson Mandela and Jesus...... rolleyes.gif

+Quote this post
GRIMLY FIENDISH
post 25th April 2009, 04:51 PM
Post #16
Group icon

QUOTE(richie @ Apr 17 2009, 09:12 AM) *

Agreed.... Only The Stone Roses have so utterly lost it from great debut record to awful sophomore slump....

....Actually, add Stone Roses' "Second Coming" to my list... What a fukkin' TERRIBLE record that was..... Ian Brown has somewhat redeemed himself though with his solo stuff, and of course Mani being in Primal Scream... Good move.....

+Quote this post
crazy chris
post 27th April 2009, 04:44 PM
Post #17
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

QUOTE(B.A Baracus @ Apr 24 2009, 07:27 PM) *

With Queen all you really need are the three Greatest Hits albums. The only studio album I have is A Night At The Opera and that's not the classic many say it is. Their albums are very patchy. I have HEARD them all!

+Quote this post
All★bySmashMouth
post 27th April 2009, 04:52 PM
Post #18
Group icon
former insolent era FM11
Pronouns: he
User: 7,795

QUOTE(Crazy Chris @ Apr 27 2009, 05:44 PM) *
With Queen all you really need are the three Greatest Hits albums.

Same, I remember having a GH album that has the best songs 'We Will Rock You', 'We Are The Champions' and 'Bicycle Race'. wub.gif

This post has been edited by FMbassador11: 27th April 2009, 04:52 PM

+Quote this post
crazy chris
post 27th April 2009, 05:02 PM
Post #19
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

QUOTE(FMbassador11 @ Apr 27 2009, 05:52 PM) *
Same, I remember having a GH album that has the best songs 'We Will Rock You', 'We Are The Champions' and 'Bicycle Race'. wub.gif

Yeah that's the first Queen GH, which is officially the biggest selling album in the UK.

+Quote this post
ϑЃεβϘ
post 27th April 2009, 09:31 PM
Post #20
Group icon
I Was Born Free
User: 1,751

QUOTE(Crazy Chris @ Apr 27 2009, 05:44 PM) *
With Queen all you really need are the three Greatest Hits albums. The only studio album I have is A Night At The Opera and that's not the classic many say it is. Their albums are very patchy. I have HEARD them all!

With respect that is tosh.

Sheer Heart Attack is a great album and has some amazing album tracks including Brighton Rock and Stone Cold Crazy.
Then you have Queen II with the Black Queen/White Queen tracks and Ogre Battle.

And News of the World has Get Down Make Love (covered by NIN)

I love these songs more than the tracks on GH as I have not heard them over and over again.

Have to agree with you 'bout Night at the Opera tho!

+Quote this post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 25th April 2024, 02:35 AM