BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Which singles do you think should have made the UK Top 10, out of their singles that only managed Top 20?
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
-Jay-
post 15th February 2021, 02:20 PM
Post #1
Group icon
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
Pronouns: he/him
User: 3,217

#11 - Spice Girls - Headlines (Friendship Never Ends)
#13 - Mel B - Word Up
#13 - Mel B - Lullaby
#14 - Melanie C - On the Horizon
#14 - Melanie C - Loving You
#15 - Emma Bunton - Crickets Sing for Anamaria
#18 - Melanie C - If That Were Me
#19 - Various Artists for Children's Promise - It's Only Rock N Roll
#20 - Emma Bunton - We're Not Gonna Sleep Tonight

Which singles do you wish had managed a Top 10 peak out of the above list? Whether it's because you love the song, or feel like it was underrated by the public?

Headlines is the major one for me. I really don't think it's a bad song, and it deserved more than what it got. The group themselves put very little effort into its promotion though, and the music video was a big misstep, so maybe in terms of that they got out of it the amount of effort put into it. It came within touching distance (only 445 sales behind #10). The #10 was Sugababes - About You Now, which was its 9th week inside the Top 10. cry.gif

Out of the solo singles... I still think On the Horizon sounds like a hit. It stood out when the Reason album was new and it made sense as the second single, however much Melanie herself dislikes it. It also had good airplay... but only #14, eek. I'm not really sure what went wrong there.

As for the one that was furthest away from making it - We're Not Gonna Sleep Tonight - I still think that it's an enjoyable song, and it puzzles me that the fan base are quite cold to it, and clearly the public weren't into it either. I don't hear what is so bad about it. It being the lowest ever peak for a Spice related single up to that point in time is harsh! I genuinely think it was at least worthy of scraping the Top 10. https://www.officialcharts.com/charts/singl.../20011216/7501/ Some of the songs above it aren't as good as Emma's, imo!
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post 15th February 2021, 02:35 PM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,568

Headlines of course is the really annoying one that bugs me a lot. I mean if they had released it before the album, and with physicals and downloads combined then it would easily have gone top 10 and probably top 5, that is really annoying.

Out of the solo ones Loving you is the one that also really irritates me. Again if they had released a physical and not left it to downloads only then it very likely would have gone top 10 with Melanie's fan base alone buying thy physicals nevermind Matt Cardle's fan base also doing so. Would have been great for Melanie to be the only Spice Girl to achieve a top 10 hit to her own name in the 00's decade she really deserved it with her constant efforts. I guess at least she is the only Spice Girl to have a top 20 hit in 3 different decades and a top 10 album in 3 different decades anyway.

The other two are Word Up and On the horizon. Word up only going #13 (or #14 as they said back then) at that point was quite horrific and really undeserved for a song that had such a cool video and was such a cool sounding song. It was simply to old for the Spice fanbase of the time, I know I didn't appreciate it until I got a bit older, and the older fanbase obviously wasn't here for word up. I'm also not sure what happened with On the horizon it is such a catchy, easy listening song which did very well on radio and rightfully should have been a hit and really should have helped the album shift more copies!?

To be honest thought all the songs are worthy of top 10 (except the charity one which was rubbish).

- Headlines #5
- Word up #6
- Lullaby #6
- On the horizon #7
- Loving you #7
- Circkets sing for Anamaria #7
- If that were me #9
- We're not gonna sleep tonight #10

If they had double their success... it looks much more appropiate! laugh.gif

This post has been edited by spiceboy: 15th February 2021, 02:39 PM

+Quote this post
Mr.X
post 15th February 2021, 02:59 PM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,587

I think some of them definitely deserved to go into Top10 and a couple definitely deserved Top5 at the very least.

I know neither of these are very well perceived by the fandom at large (due to lack of TASTE, huns! Sort it out teresa.gif ) but I always thought that both Word Up and Crickets Sing for AnaMaria deserved to go Top5 at the very least. Both are fantastic songs, very experimental and interesting. Both provided new ways of Mel B and Emma really show their versatility as singers and popstars, in my opinion. Hell, Word Up has one of the best videos in the whole Spice catalogue ever, and Crickets had one of the best promotions, b-sides and remixes as well.

Their only downfall, in my view, is the fact both are covers, but both were done with such originality that they absolutely sound like they are original songs written by and for them. Clear examples of how to do proper covers - unlike some of the Bunton covers that have popped up since....

Beyond that, I do think that Headlines going in at #11 was bad. They only have themselves to blame for that, as they barely did anything for it and both the video and the promotion for the song were so lackluster... Plus, the song itself whilst not bad by any stretch, wasnt that great either. The Victoria-led chorus was bad, the message wasnt very good either and whilst it starts ok with Emma's intro, it kind of derails from then on and never really recovers. The lack of Mel B is very loud, unfortunately and it is too Victoria-heavy. A clear example of how uninterested they were, and it showed. In hindsight, it probably was deserved that they didnt get to #10. If you do middle of the road effort, you get middle of the road results coffee.gif

I'm not really bothered about the rest. Maybe Loving You deserved #10 but that's about it...

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post 15th February 2021, 03:29 PM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(Mr.X @ Feb 15 2021, 02:59 PM) *
I think some of them definitely deserved to go into Top10 and a couple definitely deserved Top5 at the very least.

I know neither of these are very well perceived by the fandom at large (due to lack of TASTE, huns! Sort it out teresa.gif ) but I always thought that both Word Up and Crickets Sing for AnaMaria deserved to go Top5 at the very least. Both are fantastic songs, very experimental and interesting. Both provided new ways of Mel B and Emma really show their versatility as singers and popstars, in my opinion. Hell, Word Up has one of the best videos in the whole Spice catalogue ever, and Crickets had one of the best promotions, b-sides and remixes as well.

Their only downfall, in my view, is the fact both are covers, but both were done with such originality that they absolutely sound like they are original songs written by and for them. Clear examples of how to do proper covers - unlike some of the Bunton covers that have popped up since....

Sorry but Crickets is terrible.

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 15th February 2021, 03:33 PM
Post #5
Group icon
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
User: 3,217

QUOTE(spiceboy @ Feb 15 2021, 03:29 PM) *

Mr. X when he reads this post: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1CI5WjDPDA&t=1m45s w00t.gif

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post 15th February 2021, 03:39 PM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(Jay❄ @ Feb 15 2021, 03:33 PM) *

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post 15th February 2021, 03:40 PM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

Ps more than any of these being top 10 I would much rather Hot album had gone top 10. While it's not the best album it certainly not a #28 album, and Mel B certainly doesn't deserve to be the only Spice Girl not to have a top 10 album...

Same for Victoria and Out of your mind missing #1.

+Quote this post
Mr.X
post 15th February 2021, 03:45 PM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(spiceboy @ Feb 15 2021, 03:29 PM) *

I HAVE HAD IT WITH YOU MATTHEW mad.gif

+Quote this post
Lukuzz
post 15th February 2021, 03:47 PM
Post #9
Group icon
Paradise With Ice Cream Skies♥
User: 1,209

Headlines definitely deserved at least number 10, just annoying it was one spot off being a top 10 record, think it would look less like an eye sore in there history if it was at least a top 10 record

I also think Word Up, Loving You and On The Horizon were all deserving of top 10 at least.

Were Not Gonna Sleep Tonight is actually my favourite ever Emma song so I think it was deserving of at least top 5, really don't get the hate for it

+Quote this post
Spice Girls Net
post 15th February 2021, 04:07 PM
Post #10
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 64,815

Headlines annoyed me the most as it was 1 position away from being a Top 10.

Like Spiceboy said the single should have been released before the GH album and the download/physical week should have been the same.

As for solo music I think Word Up deserved to be a Top 10 hit, it was a great cover and so was the production. Mel B's version of Word Up IMO was and is the best Word Up cover ever released.

I also wish Crickets had been Top 10 so that all of the Free Me Era singles had reached the Top 10 too.

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post 15th February 2021, 04:16 PM
Post #11
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(Mr.X @ Feb 15 2021, 03:45 PM) *
I HAVE HAD IT WITH YOU MATTHEW mad.gif

Truth hurts cool.gif

+Quote this post
Mr.X
post 15th February 2021, 04:23 PM
Post #12
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(spiceboy @ Feb 15 2021, 04:16 PM) *
Truth hurts cool.gif

Apparently, so does good taste cos you avoid it with a passion teresa.gif

This post has been edited by Mr.X: 15th February 2021, 04:23 PM

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post 15th February 2021, 04:24 PM
Post #13
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(Mr.X @ Feb 15 2021, 04:23 PM) *
Apparently, so does good taste cos you avoid it with a passion teresa.gif

That's why I ADORE Emma tongue.gif wub.gif

+Quote this post
Mr.X
post 15th February 2021, 04:27 PM
Post #14
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(spiceboy @ Feb 15 2021, 04:24 PM) *
That's why I ADORE Emma tongue.gif wub.gif

Clearly we are simply talking about Crickets here my hun, don't generalise it to get away with it teresa.gif

+Quote this post
Simon.
post 15th February 2021, 04:30 PM
Post #15
Group icon
Sugar Like Apple Pie
User: 126

I'd pick Headlines if I had to pick one, if that was released in their prime it would've done well.

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post 15th February 2021, 04:35 PM
Post #16
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(Mr.X @ Feb 15 2021, 04:27 PM) *
Clearly we are simply talking about Crickets here my hun, don't generalise it to get away with it teresa.gif

laugh.gif

+Quote this post
vibe
post 15th February 2021, 04:58 PM
Post #17
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 11,763

Loving You , it just need a physical release for this too happen !!

Word Up was also overlooked at the time , her version is so much better than LM. Has amazing production and 2 amazing videos.

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post 15th February 2021, 05:41 PM
Post #18
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(vibe @ Feb 15 2021, 04:58 PM) *
Loving You , it just need a physical release for this too happen !!

Word Up was also overlooked at the time , her version is so much better than LM. Has amazing production and 2 amazing videos.

One amazing video, the Austin Powers one was terrible laugh.gif

I agree though her version is so much better than the Little Mix one!

+Quote this post
sammy01
post 16th February 2021, 09:30 PM
Post #19
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 9,988

Didn't Mel C and Matt Cardle also bugger off to Germany where the song did naff all mid release week when it was obviously going to be touch and go with being top 10.

I'm not sure what other promo they might have done but I'm sure they could have spent a few hours doing local radio interviews and performances. They also did a couple of nice acoustic performances of it with Matt playing guitar that were begging to have a studio version released on itunes to help it out mid week.

This post has been edited by sammy01: 16th February 2021, 09:31 PM

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 16th February 2021, 09:52 PM
Post #20
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
User: 13,530

On the Horizon and We're Not Gonna Sleep Tonight are both big "not sure what went wrong there" moments to me! I don't think either get enough love as individual songs (particularly We're Not Gonna Sleep Tonight which is one of my favourite Emma singles) and to have underperformed like that is quite surprising - they deserved better!

Headlines going top 10, even scraping in at #10, would obviously be so much nicer than the horrible #11 peak. It's far from being one of their best songs in my opinion but the release strategy seemed messy and if they weren't giving it 100%, there's only so much that can be expected. Similarly for Loving You I suppose - it was clear weeks before it was set to do surprisingly well, so why did they not capitalise on this with physicals, signings, etc?

+Quote this post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 27th April 2024, 02:20 AM