BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
> -

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Different versions of same song- Charts, What counts as a different version?
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Linclass
post Nov 6 2014, 07:42 PM
Post #1
New Entry
Group: Members
Member No.: 21,165
   No Gallery Pics

Hi All

Just wondered if anyone knows the answer to this. I believe that up to 3 versions of the same track count towards a chart position, for example a live version, the original are obviously two different tracks, but what about the same song but as a duet. I'm guessing that a digitally remastered track wouldn't count as a different version as it's the quality of the song that has been changed not the song per se.

Would the 3 different versions also be counted on streaming too?

Thanks for taking the time to read this

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Brer
post Nov 6 2014, 08:12 PM
Post #2
I'll just stick around and do some more damage
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 8,300

I don't know where you got that from, as all versions of songs are combined. I would assume the same applies to streaming.

+Quote Post
fchd
post Nov 6 2014, 08:18 PM
Post #3
BuzzJack Gold Member
Member No.: 6,639
   No Gallery Pics

The three versions restriction hasn't been in place for a good few years now. See Alex Day's hits for confirmation

+Quote Post
Linclass
post Nov 6 2014, 09:04 PM
Post #4
New Entry
   No Gallery Pics

Sorry I may have mis-read this, as I thought the charts had stopped multiple variants. So what's the difference between a digital bundle [limited to 3] and a digital variant which is unlimited?

"In addition to 3 physical formats and 3 digital bundles, an unlimited number of digital variants of the featured song may be combined for a chart position."

And would a duet [with original artist plus another] count as a different version of the same song OR totally different track

This post has been edited by Linclass: Nov 6 2014, 09:34 PM

+Quote Post
Robbie
post Nov 7 2014, 12:55 AM
Post #5
BuzzJack Gold Member
Member No.: 366
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Linclass @ Nov 6 2014, 09:04 PM) *
Sorry I may have mis-read this, as I thought the charts had stopped multiple variants. So what's the difference between a digital bundle [limited to 3] and a digital variant which is unlimited?

"In addition to 3 physical formats and 3 digital bundles, an unlimited number of digital variants of the featured song may be combined for a chart position."

And would a duet [with original artist plus another] count as a different version of the same song OR totally different track
There's no limit on the amount of different digital (one track) variants of a featured song that can count towards a chart place but for physical singles and digital bundles there is a limit of three versions which is still in place. A digital bundle is a digital single release that contains more than one track. It's essentially the digital equivalent of what would have been a physical single (i.e.e with track 1, track 2 etc).

For singles, the chart rules on combining sales are:

4.1 Criteria for Combining Sales

a Sales of different formats and variants of a single are combined for chart purposes where each format contains the featured song(s), and not the featured song(s) from any other chart single.

b For chart purposes, the sales of different formats are combined where they can reasonably be held to be variants or alternative formats of the same piece of product. The criteria for combining sales are detailed below.

c
i) The featured song of a Top 40 single cannot be released as a B-side or extra track on a subsequent chart eligible single until the former has dropped out of the Top 40, subject to c ii) and c iii).
ii) If a song that has fallen out of Top 40 is then used as a B-side or extra title on a new release and the original song re-enters the Top 40, the new release will remain chart eligible.
iii) Labels may include previously unreleased remixes or alternative versions of a current Top 40 single on a new release providing the version used has not previously appeared on a chart eligible release.

d A maximum of three physical formats for each title is eligible for the singles chart. The first 3 formats to be domestically released will feature in the Chart unless the record company elects a different combination before release. 4th and subsequent physical formats of a single will not be eligible for a chart position.

e A maximum of three digital bundle formats for each title is eligible for the singles chart. The first 3 formats to be domestically released will feature in the Chart unless the record company elects a different combination before release. 4th and subsequent digital bundle formats of a single will not be eligible for a chart position.

f In addition to 3 physical formats and 3 digital bundles, an unlimited number of digital variants of the featured song may be combined for a chart position.

Note: The featured song across all formats of a single need not be identical for their sales to be combined, but should be substantially the same - that is, an identical OR extended OR remixed OR live OR alternative version of the basic song.

For duets, the OCC seem to be quite flexible these days in how alternative versions are interpreted. I think it comes down to how the "duet" is billed. My understanding is that if, as an example, Artist A releases a track as a solo artist and then the track is also released in a version billed as "Artist A featuring Artist B" then sales of both versions can be combined for chart purposes. However if the credit on the second version is "Artist A AND Artist B" (ie no "featuring" credit, making it what I'd call a proper duet) then it is not an alternative version to the original by Artist A and sales won't be combined. Or at least that is my interpretation, which could be wrong of course.

+Quote Post
Linclass
post Nov 21 2014, 01:10 AM
Post #6
New Entry
   No Gallery Pics

Thanks Robbie for that comprehensive reply cheer.gif

+Quote Post
Linclass
post Dec 18 2014, 02:18 PM
Post #7
New Entry
   No Gallery Pics

Sorry to be a pain would these rules apply equally to new releases and old songs, for e.g. downloaded and streamed different versions of a previously released track i.e. an original version and a live version would they be treated as separate tracks or combined for the purposes of the charts?

+Quote Post
Brer
post Dec 18 2014, 03:59 PM
Post #8
I'll just stick around and do some more damage
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 8,300

QUOTE(Linclass @ Dec 18 2014, 02:18 PM) *
Sorry to be a pain would these rules apply equally to new releases and old songs, for e.g. downloaded and streamed different versions of a previously released track i.e. an original version and a live version would they be treated as separate tracks or combined for the purposes of the charts?

Yes, the same rules apply to all songs (a good example being Rage Against The Machine's 'Killing In The Name' which got a substantial portion of its sales from a live version).

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 03:51 PM