BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Millennials Are Finding The Simpsons ‘Offensive’ And ‘Rasist
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
vidcapper
post 27th March 2018, 02:50 PM
Post #1
Group icon
Paul Hyett
User: 364

https://www.factswt.com/millennials-are-fin...ive-and-rasist/

The misspelling of 'racist' is not an encouraging start. tongue.gif

Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
T Boy
post 27th March 2018, 02:58 PM
Post #2
Group icon
Radical Pink Troll
User: 177

The episodes where they go to another country and Homer gets to do all the stereotypes were always shit and also lazy.

+Quote this post
Klaus
post 27th March 2018, 06:26 PM
Post #3
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦
User: 17,160

omg no get your threads out my forum

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post 27th March 2018, 06:28 PM
Post #4
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed
User: 18,639

Who are these 'millennials' the press keep going on about?

They do realise we watched the show as kids??

It's Generation Z that would have the problem.

+Quote this post
T Boy
post 27th March 2018, 06:35 PM
Post #5
Group icon
Radical Pink Troll

QUOTE(Shia LeMuffQueef @ Mar 27 2018, 07:28 PM) *
Who are these 'millennials' the press keep going on about?

They do realise we watched the show as kids??

It's Generation Z that would have the problem.

Actually this does need addressing? Just who are you trying to take the piss out of Vidcapper?

I believe that, being 11 at the turn of the century, I count as a millennial. And yet, as Michael correctly points out, I and people my age were watching the Simpsons without any problems back in the 90s.

Also I teach lots of kids born post millennium and they don’t seem to have this problem either.

+Quote this post
Silas
post 27th March 2018, 06:50 PM
Post #6
Group icon
Queen of Soon
User: 3,474

There is a genuine conversation to be had about problematic older shows/seasons but it needs to be done without older generations throwing Millennials and Gen Z under the bus. Just because something was “acceptable” when it first aired doesn’t mean we shouldn’t point out it’s problems now.

What this commentary misses is, as Michael rightly points out, that we grew up with these shows. They’ve informed our views and lives and just because we point out that something is problematic doesn’t mean we aren’t enjoying the show.

I love Will & Grace and I can still love the old seasons while being honest that it isn’t without issues

+Quote this post
Brett-Butler
post 27th March 2018, 07:09 PM
Post #7
Group icon
Howdy, disco citizens
User: 10,455

Usually when there's an article about someone finding an old programme "problematic", it's about three people on Twitter with a combined follower count of 7.

That's not to say that there's isn't moments from The Simpsons of past that wouldn't get made today. I very much doubt they'd feature one of my favourite ever Simpsons scenes if it were being made in 2018.

+Quote this post
Doctor Blind
post 27th March 2018, 07:11 PM
Post #8
Group icon
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
User: 7,561

+Quote this post
Brett-Butler
post 27th March 2018, 07:11 PM
Post #9
Group icon
Howdy, disco citizens
User: 10,455

QUOTE(Doctor Blind @ Mar 27 2018, 08:11 PM) *

That is the most perfect 2 1/2 of comedy ever. Is it terrible that I know every single word of the dialogue?

+Quote this post
Doctor Blind
post 27th March 2018, 07:18 PM
Post #10
Group icon

QUOTE(Brett-Butler @ Mar 27 2018, 08:11 PM) *
That is the most perfect 2 1/2 of comedy ever. Is it terrible that I know every single word of the dialogue?

No - I can recite it too, and agreed!

This is just a clickbait article isn't it? Most either start with, or include the word 'millennial' in there somewhere. 'Millennial in avocado shock incident that you won't believe'

+Quote this post
T Boy
post 27th March 2018, 07:31 PM
Post #11
Group icon
Radical Pink Troll

The biggest issue with the Simpsons is that they’ve kept making it for at least 15 years longer than they should have.

+Quote this post
Doctor Blind
post 27th March 2018, 07:34 PM
Post #12
Group icon

QUOTE(T Boy @ Mar 27 2018, 08:31 PM) *
The biggest issue with the Simpsons is that they’ve kept making it for at least 15 years longer than they should have.

Oh I'd agree with that - many people believe the show went rapidly downhill after the The Principal and the Pauper episode in Series 9 when Principal Skinner was revealed to be imposter Armin Tamzarian.

+Quote this post
T Boy
post 27th March 2018, 07:36 PM
Post #13
Group icon
Radical Pink Troll

QUOTE(Doctor Blind @ Mar 27 2018, 08:34 PM) *
Oh I'd agree with that - many people believe the show went rapidly downhill after the The Principal and the Pauper episode in Series 9 when Principal Skinner was revealed to be imposter Armin Tamzarian.

You certainly don’t get anything as classic as steamed hams in the show these days.

+Quote this post
danG
post 27th March 2018, 07:51 PM
Post #14
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥
User: 11,746

Shock as television show made years ago is somewhat dated, who'd have ever thought? ohmy.gif

Friends recently got a lot of shtick for being 'offensive to millennials' too (i.e. a few people having issues with its datedness), and it will happen in 20 years time with today's popular culture too as standards continue to change.

I imagine The Simpsons have made a few sexist and racist jokes (and for a comedy show that has ran so long I'd be surprised if they hadn't) which is worth addressing but the 'omgz millennialz findz everything offensivez!!1' is just an exaggeration that 'news' outlets do just for the clicks and strong reactions.

Personally I enjoy comedy and a bit of shock/offensive humour but it's not for everyone. I'm not really keen on The Simpsons personally from what I've seen of it as it's quite tame compared to Family Guy/South Park (and those two have had their dud episodes too).

+Quote this post
Tombo
post 27th March 2018, 08:05 PM
Post #15
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 9,543

People need to take a seat, they are getting triggered over everything these days

+Quote this post
Seinfeld
post 27th March 2018, 08:18 PM
Post #16
Group icon
Is anyone here a marine biologist?
User: 10,505

QUOTE(T Boy @ Mar 27 2018, 08:31 PM) *

The Simpsons should have ended in the late '90s like Seinfeld did. It seem to go downhill when Futurama came along in 1999 or perhaps even earlier (as Doctor Blind referred to).

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post 27th March 2018, 08:40 PM
Post #17
Group icon
The owls are not what they seem
Pronouns: He/him
User: 9,232

There's literally not a single quote, piece of an evidence or even some randomer's tweet in that article to justify the title, it's just the author's own thoughts, so much for the 'facts' rolleyes.gif A GCSE English student could write better than that.

As for the show, it's clearly no stranger to stereotypes and Apu is definitely a bit racist in general and certainly problematic by today's standards, and yes there has been a fair few xenophobic and/or racist/sexist jokes made. That said, The Simpsons has always been a rather on-point satirisation of American society that has come to almost reflect it (they even predicted the president!!11) and especially in the 90s when things were comparatively a lot less progressive than today, there are bound to be a few dodgy jokes and stereotypes as it wasn't as frowned upon back then, doesn't make it OK, but I think some degree of context is needed. But honestly, I think it's much more progressive than it isn't as it gives every character some degree of depth and humanity beyond the stereotype which some are, you can't say that for most sitcoms, particularly animated ones. If people really think this is offensive, then they should really watch some 70s comedies like Benny Hill, now that sort of stuff can stay in the past...

On it's quality, I haven't actually watched it in years (it did get gradually more shit after the tenth season), big 30 next year though ohmy.gif

+Quote this post
J00prstar
post 27th March 2018, 08:40 PM
Post #18
Group icon
there's nothing straight about plump Elvis
Pronouns: they/any
User: 22,895

QUOTE(5 Silas Frøkner @ Mar 27 2018, 07:50 PM) *
There is a genuine conversation to be had about problematic older shows/seasons but it needs to be done without older generations throwing Millennials and Gen Z under the bus. Just because something was “acceptable” when it first aired doesn’t mean we shouldn’t point out it’s problems now.

What this commentary misses is, as Michael rightly points out, that we grew up with these shows. They’ve informed our views and lives and just because we point out that something is problematic doesn’t mean we aren’t enjoying the show.

I love Will & Grace and I can still love the old seasons while being honest that it isn’t without issues

Good luck with that. I don't know if I've ever seen a group of people more determined to lash out at their children and people in any way different to them.

+Quote this post
Botchia
post 27th March 2018, 08:56 PM
Post #19
Group icon
I Drink Wine
User: 21,753

The Simpsons is just of its time as everything ends up being of its time. And like Brett said they've probably based this off three tweets by people with about 20 combined followers.

+Quote this post
p a v
post 27th March 2018, 09:01 PM
Post #20
Group icon
thanks for being a sarcy lil bitch
User: 4,397

QUOTE(Botchia @ Mar 27 2018, 11:56 PM) *
The Simpsons is just of its time as everything ends up being of its time. And like Brett said they've probably based this off three tweets by people with about 20 combined followers.

don't judge people based on their twitter follower count :'(

This post has been edited by ionderella: 27th March 2018, 09:02 PM

+Quote this post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 25th April 2024, 11:33 AM