BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
5 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Lex's 1990s Eurovision Countdown
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
LexC
post 9th February 2017, 10:14 PM
Post #61
Group icon
Attack Dog/Sass Queen
User: 5,342

36. Finland 1994: CatCat - Bye Bye Baby (22nd, 11 points)*PEAK FINLAND*

The injustice of this getting only 11 points despite being one of about 2 uptempo numbers in 1994. I know this was in the death slot but you'd assume all those terminal ballads would have got it more than this. Viewers who consider themselves fans of Lili och Susie will no doubt be very fond of this. I don't know if 'dressing gown draped over besequined corset-based nightwear was considered the height of fashion in Finland in the 90s but the fact that it isn't now makes us ALL THE POORER. And those two dancers providing all of the choreo while the Cats can only manage stepping from side to side at best gives me a moderate to high amount of life. Yaaaasssss

This post has been edited by LexC: 9th February 2017, 10:20 PM
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 9th February 2017, 10:32 PM
Post #62
Group icon
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
User: 12,929

Nocturne is easily my favourite winner of the 90s and is probably up there challenging for the overall title as well, that sort of dreamy near instrumental music is perfect for me, a true classic.

Bye Bye Baby is a fair one to put at peak Finland, it's probably the best they got in the 90s although I'm not crazy for it.

+Quote this post
Qassändra
post 9th February 2017, 11:35 PM
Post #63
Group icon
DROTTNING!
User: 480

QUOTE(AdamAloud @ Feb 9 2017, 09:55 PM) *
'Nocturne' heart.gif Definitely my favourite Norwegian winner (closely followed by La det swinge)

That is the WRONG ORDER MISSY

+Quote this post
Qassändra
post 9th February 2017, 11:37 PM
Post #64
Group icon
DROTTNING!

QUOTE(LexC @ Feb 9 2017, 10:14 PM) *
36. Finland 1994: CatCat - Bye Bye Baby (22nd, 11 points)*PEAK FINLAND*

The injustice of this getting only 11 points despite being one of about 2 uptempo numbers in 1994. I know this was in the death slot but you'd assume all those terminal ballads would have got it more than this. Viewers who consider themselves fans of Lili och Susie will no doubt be very fond of this. I don't know if 'dressing gown draped over besequined corset-based nightwear was considered the height of fashion in Finland in the 90s but the fact that it isn't now makes us ALL THE POORER. And those two dancers providing all of the choreo while the Cats can only manage stepping from side to side at best gives me a moderate to high amount of life. Yaaaasssss

As IF you passed up the chance to post the MOST IMPORTANT MUSIC VIDEO OF THE 1990s

+Quote this post
AdamAloud
post 10th February 2017, 06:12 PM
Post #65
Group icon
I was born 7 million years ago in Sweden, Africa
User: 11,955

QUOTE(Qassändra @ Feb 9 2017, 11:35 PM) *
That is the WRONG ORDER MISSY

Well at least we can all agree 'Fairytale' is the worst.

+Quote this post
LexC
post 11th February 2017, 04:00 PM
Post #66
Group icon
Attack Dog/Sass Queen

In honor of the Spanish NF tonight...

35.Spain 1990: Azucar Moreno - Bandido (5th place, 96 points)

Including the full version with the infamous f*** up because it truly is a classic 'live television lol' moment. Once it actually starts this sultry latina jam is truly life giving. Azucar Moreno are very much 'Sonia y Selena after being possessed by Satan. I don't speak much Spanish but from the google translate the song seems to be about getting chlamydia off a shag in Magaluf with all the "burning chest' and 'scorched skin' (babes, there's a cream for that!). And you'll all either already know or be delighted to know that they're still performing together (with this one song near exclusively to screaming Spanish gays but hey, a gigs a gig!).

This post has been edited by LexC: 11th February 2017, 04:00 PM

+Quote this post
LexC
post 20th February 2017, 04:52 PM
Post #67
Group icon
Attack Dog/Sass Queen

Come to the sudden realisation that I've got too many writing projects on at the same time so it's time to kick this one into overdrive!

34. Netherlands 1998: Edsilia Rombley - Hemel en aarde (4th, 150 points) *PEAK NETHERLANDS*

Before their current phase where the Dutch seem to be obsessed with country music, time was when they were all about some serious RnB/funky numbers with this one fitting nicely alongside their entries from 93 and 96. The part from where the backing choir with the classic side-step-click choreo move downstage to the vox-driven key change is a complete "take me to church" moment and it gives me so much loiiiiife! If they didn't have the language rule in place and she'd have been allowed to sing in English then I imagine this would have potentially run Israel a lot closer (I mean it's only 22 points behind the top spot anyway so that's not that big a hurdle to leap over).

And, as is the fate of many of the people who had big eurovision hits for western european countries in the 90s, she'd come back in the mid 00s only to fail to make it out of the semi but don't let that tarnish Edsilia's place among the all time greats (and props to her for managing to pull off the infamous first Trijntje dress while reading out the Dutch votes that year)

+Quote this post
LexC
post 20th February 2017, 05:09 PM
Post #68
Group icon
Attack Dog/Sass Queen

33. Iceland 1997: Paul Oscar - Minn hinsti dans (20th, 18 points)

Okay guys, we are GOING THERE. You'll know, through the cultural osmosis of the clip shows, that this is the "lol women dressed in leather" Icelandic entry that flopped because the 1990s juries didn't know true art when they saw it. But, scratch beneath the surface (and use google translate) and the true meaning comes to the surface. The song translates as "my final dance" and is ostensibly about Paul Oscar having a last blast of the wild hedonistic life style and dying in the process (okay, that's me overinterpreting things slightly but goddammit I choose to believe that) all the while being surrounded by dancers clad in the queerest of all materials, leather, and creating a spectacle of a performance that is just...mesmerizing!

How much are we willing to bet that Ryan hates this?

+Quote this post
LexC
post 20th February 2017, 05:23 PM
Post #69
Group icon
Attack Dog/Sass Queen

32. Norway 1993: Silje Vige - Alle mine tankar (5th, 120 points)

While we're on the subject of nordic darkness, here's Norway 93. This manages to go for a similar sort of hypnotic darkness of the previously discussed song but for some reason, especially in the live performance, it manages to also be somehow...rousing? Only adding to the scent of creepiness is the fact that this 16 year old singer is singing this song about an unrequited imaginary love affair...written by her dad. I mean the second verse in particular,

"When I meet you in the evening
And you look at me with this strange light
And you gently touch me
On the hand as you walk past me
No one must see it, only you and I know it"

All of the Freud my friends, all of the Freud.

+Quote this post
Jerick
post 20th February 2017, 06:29 PM
Post #70
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 6,716

I love how the audience turn around and stare at the Norwegian fan club when they start clapping! Pre 1998 eurovision audience <3

+Quote this post
Qassändra
post 20th February 2017, 07:46 PM
Post #71
Group icon
DROTTNING!

Minn hinsti dans TOO LOW!

+Quote this post
LexC
post 10th April 2017, 06:10 PM
Post #72
Group icon
Attack Dog/Sass Queen

31. Belgium 1999: Vanessa Chinitor - Like The Wind (13th, 38 points)*PEAK BELGIUM*

If you're a fan of the "new age" ballads that a lot of the scandi countries are fond of (like Alvedansen which is very similar to this one) then this is one for you. The melodies and harmonies of all the vocalists on stage here are beautiful and have a really good "sweep" to them. The death slot and just generally being 3 years behind the curve of Eurovision stopped this getting into the upper reaches but it's still deserving of being remembered as a 90s classic.

+Quote this post
LexC
post 10th April 2017, 06:15 PM
Post #73
Group icon
Attack Dog/Sass Queen

Also a lot of people are quite fond of the Dutch/Flemish version of Belgium 1999 so that's available here:

And on the subject of Dutch ballads, this was nearly the Dutch entry in 1998 over Edsilia. They made the right call in the end but in an alternate universe this would have totally worked as their 1997 entry, for instance.

+Quote this post
AdamAloud
post 10th April 2017, 06:23 PM
Post #74
Group icon

I'd never have thought to pair 'Like The Wind' with 'Alvedansen', but now that you mention it! 1999 is up there as one of my favourite contests ever and this is another brilliant song from it.

+Quote this post
LexC
post 10th April 2017, 06:26 PM
Post #75
Group icon
Attack Dog/Sass Queen

QUOTE(AdamAloud @ Apr 10 2017, 07:23 PM) *
I'd never have thought to pair 'Like The Wind' with 'Alvedansen', but now that you mention it! 1999 is up there as one of my favourite contests ever and this is another brilliant song from it.

Well in fairness it was mostly just triggered because it came up on the suggested videos tab next to the video when I was doing the write up kink.gif

+Quote this post
LexC
post 10th April 2017, 06:46 PM
Post #76
Group icon
Attack Dog/Sass Queen

30. Poland 1994: Edyta Górniak - To nie ja (2nd, 166 points)*PEAK POLAND*

Poland's first ever entry here and what still remains their best ever result. What makes it work is more or less what makes every other power ballad ever work, she's a pretty young girl (in a white dress too because purity and virgin obvs) with a big voice and vocal range who sings out a song with a nice melody and a good climax. That it only came 2nd to two dull old guys playing a piano at the peak of the mid-90s jury rut means that this is generally considered to be "the winner that never was". Would it have won if there had been no language rule in place? (Edyta probably thought something along these lines as -controversy alert- she sang the last verse ad chorus in English at the final dress rehearsal) Did the jurors have a subconscious bias against giving the victory and therefore hosting rights to these countries with newly emerging and ergo fragile democracies? Or was the problem more that the jurors were just so obsessed with the Irish songs that nothing else stood a chance? Those questions will remain pure hypotheticals but as Poland seem to be edging ever closer to potentially grabbing their first win it's worth remembering when Margaret wins for Poland in Turin 2018 (events depending) how much Poland's history, at least culture wise, could have ended up being very different.

+Quote this post
LexC
post 10th April 2017, 07:13 PM
Post #77
Group icon
Attack Dog/Sass Queen

29. Iceland 1990: Stjórnin - Eitt lag enn (4th, 124 points)

We've just gone through a bit of a slow patch so lets mix it up with a bit of Icelandic schlager. You'll recognise this woman from their 1992 song lower down the countdown and also from her honorable mention (I think?) solo entry from 1994. This is more or less everything you want from a late 80s schlager song (which is what this was written as, lets face it) and it absolutely nails the intended purpose of just making you want to smile during the whole thing. The two of them have, if not real then they're good enough actors that it feels real, chemistry and pretty well executed choreo. Worthy of being considered in the same vein as the Swedish stuff, its that good!

+Quote this post
AdamAloud
post 10th April 2017, 07:26 PM
Post #78
Group icon

I'd say 'To nie ja' was robbed in 1994, but there was something else much more ICONIC and deserving of the win, I'm sure it's still to come kink.gif

Iceland continue to SLAY me in this countdown, that is fabulous *.*

+Quote this post
LexC
post 12th April 2017, 07:11 PM
Post #79
Group icon
Attack Dog/Sass Queen

28. Italy 1992: Mia Martini - Rapsodia (4th, 111 points)*PEAK 1992*

This is one of the select few highlights in what is the worst year of 90s ESC and I get the sense that this is a very marmite entry. It's a very Liza Minelli style jazz number all about two former lovers who meet in a bar and then go their separate ways. In true Italian fashion there's a very poetic slant to the lyrics and it's dripping with... well whatever the Italian equivalent of ennui is. I have this one idea that this would be the final song if the musical Cabaret was set in Italy rather than Germany and this despairing ballad would play as Rome falls to the fascists.

That sense of a small tragedy is only amplified by the fact that three years after this performance she was found dead in her apartment after a Cocaine overdose.

+Quote this post
LexC
post 12th April 2017, 07:26 PM
Post #80
Group icon
Attack Dog/Sass Queen

27. Greece 1995: Elina Konstantopoulou - Pia Prosefhi (12th, 68 points) *PEAK GREECE*

Staying with something suitably evocative, this is the Greek entry from 95. During the mid 90s "new age" folksy numbers were big business and nowhere can you see that more than in the 1995 contest which, for what its worth, does have a lot of that but it's mostly varying shades of good by my reckoning. The one drawback of some of them however is that they tended to coalesce into a sort of "generic celtic" vibe. This, I am glad to say, manages to stay within that genre whilst still making itself sound like a quintessentially Greek song. The bit at the start is all in Ancient Greek which sets off the vibe of mysticism and exoticism, enhanced by that melody which is the absolute tits. If ethno music is your thing then I thoroughly recommend this one as a gateway drug to mid 90s Eurovision.

+Quote this post

5 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 26th April 2024, 10:01 PM