BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Shawn Mendes: Handwritten • The Rate: Results
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Calum
post 7th October 2019, 04:14 PM
Post #1
Group icon
nabad
Pronouns: he/him
User: 18,316

Welcome to the results for the first of three Shawn Mendes rates happening right here in the forum! *.* We'll soon be kicking off the countdown to find the best song on Shawn's debut album (from the three rates that were submitted lol x).

A reminder of the songs:

Life of the Party
Stitches
Never Be Alone
Kid in Love
I Don't Even Know Your Name
Something Big
Strings
Aftertaste
Air (feat. Astrid S)
Crazy
A Little Too Much
This Is What It Takes
Bring It Back
Imagination
The Weight
Don't Want Your Love
Lost

I Know What You Did Last Summer (with Camila Cabello)
Act Like You Love Me
Running Low
Memories

Which will win? PREDICTIONS, discussion, etc all welcome! Aiming to kick this off tonight around 8pm-ish! cheer.gif
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 7th October 2019, 05:19 PM
Post #2
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
User: 13,530

Stitches to be the rightful winner!

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 11th October 2019, 11:16 PM
Post #3
Group icon

u flop xx

+Quote this post
Calum
post 11th October 2019, 11:46 PM
Post #4
Group icon
nabad

Excuse u, they'll be starting v shortly *.

+Quote this post
Calum
post 8th November 2019, 02:25 AM
Post #5
Group icon
nabad

Results kicking off TODAY *.*

+Quote this post
Calum
post 8th November 2019, 10:36 PM
Post #6
Group icon
nabad

Lost

Average score: 6.50
Highest score: Calum (7.5)
Lowest score: ...ready for it (5.0)

19=

Crazy

Average score: 6.67
Highest score: ...ready for it (7.0)
Lowest score: JosephStyles, Calum (6.5)

19=

Air feat. Astrid S

Average score: 6.67
Highest score: JosephStyles (8.0)

Finishing last place at #21 we have Lost, one of the songs released on Revisited, the deluxe version of the album, in 2015. The song isn't all that memorable and is definitely among the lower tier songs of Shawn's discography so I'm not surprised to see it finishing dead last. Just ahead of it in joint 19th place, we have Crazy and Air - two album tracks from the original edition of Handwritten. I'm surprised to see Air finish so low as that seemed to be 'liked' universally by fans. The feature from Astrid S is cute, and their voices really suit one another; although I guess it just doesn't quite reach the heights of his collaborations with a certain significant other! Crazy, I've probably always deemed the weakest album track from the original bunch of songs, but it is a nice listen when you go through the album from start to finish!

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 8th November 2019, 10:39 PM
Post #7
Group icon

Air surprisingly low!

+Quote this post
Calum
post 10th November 2019, 04:01 PM
Post #8
Group icon
nabad

15=

Act Like You Love Me

Average score: 7.17
Highest score: Calum (7.5)
Lowest score: ...ready for it, JosephStyles (7.0)

15=

Bring It Back

Highest score: JosephStyles (8.5)

15=

I Don't Even Know Your Name

Highest score: Calum (8.5)

15=

Never Be Alone

Highest score: Calum (8.5)

Hilariously (although not a complete surprise given only three of us submitted rates in the end x), next up we have a FOUR-way tie for fifteenth place. Kicking the group off we have one of the bonus tracks from Handwritten Revisited - Act Like You Love Me. This, in my opinion, is probably the weakest of the new tracks that we got. It's a cute enough song in its own right, but when you add the likes of Running Low and Memories into the mix, it doesn't quite stand up the same. Bring It Back, I Don't Even Know Your Name and Never Be Alone also finish in joint fifteenth place. The latter two surprised me a lot. I Don't Even Know Your Name is such a revelation on tour, and is one of the strongest album tracks in general, while Never Be Alone seems to be a fan staple on tour, and one that's extremely close to Shawn's heart. It always has its own moment to shine and he takes the time out to remind or inform the audience just how special a song it is. Alas, it wasn't meant to be and it finishes quite low down on the list. Maybe it could have seen a boost had there been more rates.

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 11th November 2019, 08:48 PM
Post #9
Group icon

Never Be Alone shockingly low!

+Quote this post
Calum
post 12th November 2019, 09:45 PM
Post #10
Group icon
nabad

This Is What It Takes

Average score: 7.50
Highest score: JosephStyles (9.0)
Lowest score: ...ready for it (6.0)

Just one song dropping out for the moment, because up next we have another whammy with several songs finishing in the same position, so we'll leave that for another post. kink.gif Up next though, it's one of, what I'd say is, the best ballads and album tracks from Handwritten - This Is What It Takes. It doesn't pack quite as much of a punch as some of the other ballads on the album (stay tuned for future commentary x), but it's a really cute song and Shawn sounds fantastic on it. It's probably one where his vocals are more exposed than on others, but it works really well. It doesn't seem as much of a surprise to see this dropping out so early, and had there been more rates I expect it would've still landed somewhere around here.

+Quote this post
Calum
post 12th November 2019, 10:55 PM
Post #11
Group icon
nabad

11=

Running Low

Average score: 7.67
Highest score: Calum (10.0)

11=

Imagination

Highest score: Calum (11.0)

11=

Aftertaste

Up next, we have what can only be described as an incredible tragedy. Three of the absolute best songs from Handwritten and Revisited drop out, all in one go. Running Low, Imagination and Aftertaste all finished with the same average score, so end up in 11th place, just outside the top 10! HOW?! First up, Running Low. For a while I didn't really pay attention to the bonus tracks from Revisited, but more recently I went back and listened to them all. It's such a beautiful track, and easily the best of the three (inc. Act Like You Love Me and Memories). It has such a heartbreaking message, but it's so beautiful and one Shawn song I could listen to on repeat for a long while. Right by Running Low's side is... the best song from the entire album - Imagination. The EMOTION. Everything about this song is amazing, and really solidified Shawn as a favourite artist of mine. Again, it's got a bit of a heartbreaking story to it in the lyrics, but it's the one song on the album where I feel Shawn truly delivers (outside of more up-tempo hits like Stitches). And finally, we have Aftertaste. This was on the original version of Handwritten, and it even got its own video release. It's a great song, and proves that he has so much versatility in his voice, and what he can actually do as a vocalist. Slay Shawn *.* At least the rest of you still have songs to look forward to in these results cry.gif

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 13th November 2019, 11:20 AM
Post #12
Group icon
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
User: 3,217

I don't remember any of these songs #flopmod kink.gif nono.gif

+Quote this post
Calum
post 13th November 2019, 06:19 PM
Post #13
Group icon
nabad

QUOTE(Jay ☆ @ Nov 13 2019, 11:20 AM) *
I don't remember any of these songs #flopmod kink.gif nono.gif

You are officially awful.

Listen to Running Low and Imagination immediately hitler.gif

+Quote this post
Calum
post 14th November 2019, 05:59 PM
Post #14
Group icon
nabad

Memories

Average score: 7.83

Heading into the top 10 now and the first song to drop out of the running is Memories, another of the songs from Revisited, the re-release of Shawn's debut album. Although this isn't my favourite of the new tracks we were treated to (hello Running Low, and sorry you were eliminated so soon x), at least one of them (and the second best of them!) has managed to sneak in pretty high up! This is another ballad - of which there's a lot of on Handwritten in general - but it's so beautiful and again, Shawn's voice really has a moment to shine here. It proves just how perfectly his voice is suited to songs like this, as well as on up-tempo tracks. This song always reminds me of his cameo on The 100, even though it wasn't the song he performed while he was on it. laugh.gif

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 14th November 2019, 10:15 PM
Post #15
Group icon

This Is What It Takes deserved more!

+Quote this post
Calum
post 14th November 2019, 10:30 PM
Post #16
Group icon
nabad

QUOTE(JosephStyles @ Nov 14 2019, 10:15 PM) *
This Is What It Takes deserved more!

It really did cry.gif

+Quote this post
Calum
post 14th November 2019, 10:35 PM
Post #17
Group icon
nabad

Strings

Average score: 8.00
Lowest score: ...ready for it, JosephStyles (7.0)

Comfortably inside the top 10 with an average of 8.00 exactly, we have another album track - and this time it's the beautiful Strings. Lyrically, talking about wanting all the strings attached with somebody that you want to spend all your time with and love being around... it's quite a relatable track, and one that Shawn's vocals match with perfectly. Although sometimes I wish it was me he was talking to and not some other girl out there lmao. Another song that I think definitely deserves to be nudged just a little higher up than it's finished, but still a decent outcome nonetheless. Listening to Handwritten and going from Something Big, to this, then Aftertaste really is a feast for the ears.

+Quote this post
Calum
post 18th November 2019, 02:41 PM
Post #18
Group icon
nabad

5=

I Know What You Did Last Summer with Camila Cabello

Average score: 8.33
Highest score: Calum (9.0)
Lowest score: ...ready for it, JosephStyles (8.0)

5=

Don't Want Your Love

Highest score: JosephStyles (9.0)
Lowest score: ...ready for it, Calum (8.0)

We have another tie now (and they're not the only two songs to finish joint fifth!!) - and this time we have I Know What You Did Last Summer, Shawn's first collaboration with American-Cuban singer Camila Cabello who, at the time, was one fifth of girl band Fifth Harmony. It was great to hear Shawn collaborate with somebody on a punchy, up-tempo song that worked SO well for both of them, unlike the ballad we had on Handwritten (hello Air). I Know What You Did Last Summer didn't manage to score any higher than a 9 thanks to yours truly, but I think it seems about right for it to finish here considering what's still to come. By its side is another bonus track - this time Don't Want Your Love. I'm a bit ??? at this as it's one of the songs I remember least from the album and can't say I'd ever go back to it unless I was having a full listen-through of the album and all its bonus tracks, but I guess it at least struck a chord with some people, and it is a decent song!

+Quote this post
Calum
post 21st November 2019, 05:52 PM
Post #19
Group icon
nabad

5=

The Weight

Highest score: JosephStyles, Calum (9.0)
Lowest score: ...ready for it (7.0)

5=

Kid in Love

Finishing the four-way tie for fifth place we have another two album tracks from Handwritten - this time The Weight and Kid in Love. The Weight was originally included in Shawn's debut EP - The Shawn Mendes EP before being added as a bonus track on his debut album. It's such an emotional song that has a very powerful meaning behind it. The lyrics are fantastic, and it certainly stands out as one of the best from the album, as is evident from where it's managed to finish in these results! Joining it is Kid in Love - one of the more up-beat album tracks. This has always been one of my favourites, so I'm glad it's finished so high in the end! Both this and The Weight sound absolutely fantastic live, so it was a shame they weren't included on the setlist of Shawn's most recent tour, although I wouldn't expect somebody to perform album tracks from so long ago. kink.gif So now only four songs remain! Which will drop out next? ;o

+Quote this post
Calum
post 21st November 2019, 05:54 PM
Post #20
Group icon
nabad

Life of the Party vs A Little Too Much vs Stitches vs Something Big

ohmy.gif