BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 
6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Buzzjack's Ultimate Animated TV Show - THE RESULTS, Finished at long last~
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
seven.
post 4th August 2018, 12:59 PM
Post #21
Group icon
i can only do one normal thing a day
User: 14,428

shame most here won't have seen Animaniacs, proper classic! all the different segments (Slappy Squirrel especially) were great <3

Aqua Teen Hunger Force *.* the memories of staying up late just to see that on Adult Swim, probably has one of the best intro themes ever too :cheeseblock:

Yay @ Wander in the top 100, a cute and really good show!
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 4th August 2018, 04:19 PM
Post #22
Group icon
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
User: 12,929

Kill La Kill is such a UNIQUE show. You won't find anything else quite like it, it's got some really interesting dystopian themes and is brazenly ridiculous at times, the latter of which is normally what I look for in anime. I'm glad Brett managed to vote. tongue.gif

Animaniacs I recall from Yakko's world thing but nothing else, I didn't know it was a parody of certain animation themes although that seems rather obvious looking at the design now.

+Quote this post
Brett-Butler
post 4th August 2018, 04:47 PM
Post #23
Group icon
Howdy, disco citizens
User: 10,455

I echo the sentiment about Kill La Kill. It's absolutely bonkers in the best kind of way, but with serious themes interspersed throughout it. I think my votes may have pushed an extra 1 or 2 series into the top 100, so interesting to see what comes next.

Don't lose your way...

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post 4th August 2018, 07:21 PM
Post #24
Group icon
The owls are not what they seem
Pronouns: He/him
User: 9,232

71. The Bugs Bunny Show (1960) 74
One of the longest running cartoons now, starting in 1960 and, under various new umbrellas, going on right up until 2000 until Cartoon Network acquired property of the Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies shorts that made up the show. Essentially is was re-runs of those cartoons with some newly recorded linking footage to piece them together, usually with Bugs himself addressing the audience in a similar way to the Alfred Hitchcock Hour. It was instrumental in assuring those cartoons stayed in the public consciousness for decades after and helped them become as highly influential as they are now. Arguably should be higher, but most of you put the vote to 'Looney Tunes' which is still to come~

72. Captain Pugwash (1998 version) 72 (More voters)
Most catchy theme song ever *.* Adapted from the comic strips, Captain Pugwash initially was told almost exclusively from cardboard cut outs in a live action environment, before a traditional cartoon version aired in 1998 telling the traditional story of Captain Horatio Pugwash as he sails the seven seas in the Black Pig and battles Cut Throat Jake of the Flying Dustman. Known for his 'Pugwashisms' ('Coddling Catfish! Dolloping Dolphins! are included) and even a strange urban legend that the characters (Master Bates, Seaman Staines) were named secretly as oral sex double entendres that the creator sued over, Captain Pugwash remains an icon of the seas.

73. The Angry Beavers (1997) 72
The Nickelodeon series about two bickering Beaver brothers, Dag and Norb, it was one of the many classic screwball cartoons produced in the 90s. It was wacky and bizarre at times, but it was always very enjoyable and the two characters always had some good chemistry. It ran for four seasons until 2001.

74. Psycho-Pass (2012) 71
Another one you got into the top 100, Brett! A cyberpunk anime series taking place in dystopian future where mental states are constantly under surveillance and a Sibyl System is operated which calculates the probability of citizens committing a crime (their Psycho Pass) and excessive ratings will result in the authorities contacted. The story follows two officers that work amongst this system. The series received widespread critical acclaim for the character roles and interactions, sounds very Blade Runner meets 1984, interested~

75. Postman Pat (1981) 70
Oh what a legend right here. Postman Pat was a British stop motion animated series for pre-school children from the director that made The Magic Roundabout and The Wombles. Each episode involved, you guessed it, Postman Pat and his black and white cat, Jess, delivering mail and usually always is distracted by a problem of a villager whom he helps out. With actual backing from Royal Mail, it was universally popular and many more series where new characters and promotions were issued, and became known and aired internationally, the original voice actor, Ken Barrie, sadly passed away two years ago. I believe they are still airing spin-offs/movies to this day, but none have the same simple magic as the original.

76. 64 Zoo Lane (2001) 69 (More voters)
Pre-school programmes with catchy theme songs seem to be the theme here, 64 Zoo Lane follows the adventures of Lucy who lives next door to a zoo as one of the animals always tells her a story. It aired for an impressive fourteen years until 2013, and I'm impressed at the diversity of animals that they featured in this programme, sadly I think I was a little bit old for this one at the time, I only recall the theme song.

77. Roobarb (1974) 69
I didn't think I recognised this one, but it appears I know it under the familiarly named Roobarb and Custard. Showing the friendly rivalry between a purple cat and a green dog, it was intended as a inversion of the children's pudding with the crumble being the dog and the custard being the cat. A revival was released in 2005 using computer animation but staying true to the 'wobbly' animation style of the original. Was a bit before my time, but I do recognise this and it is still seen in pop culture to this day.

78. The Smurfs (1981) 68 (More voters)
Originating from a Belgian comic strip, The Smurfs became one of the most numerous characters and spawned a franchise that included this 1981 TV series which ran for eight years. Known for it's use of classical music in the background of many of it's scenes much like classic cartoons from the 40s, it was a great success initially before the changes to the show's format and setting resorted in falling ratings. They still remain icons of popular culture today and a movie franchise has been released.

79. Aladdin: The Series (1994) 68
Based ofc. on the film that came out two years earlier and was in the midst of the Disney Renaissance, Aladdin also had a series which picked up where the direct-to-video Return of Jafar left off and focused on Aladdin's duties in the city. It contained many of the same voice actors as the movie, though alas Robin Williams was not involved as the genie, replaced by Dan Castellaneta. It ran for two years and was actually considered one of Disney's finer pieces of TV work (ie. a cash cow that's actually good kink.gif).

80. We Bare Bears (2015) 67 (More votes)
A very recent one now that aired on Cartoon Network and still runs to this day, focusing on three bears - Grizzly, Panda and Ice - and their awkward attempts at integrating with humans around the San Francisco Bay area. It won the Young Audience award at Amsterdam Animation Festival and has been praised for tackling millenials own issues. Don't know anything about it myself so if anyone does fire away!

+Quote this post
seven.
post 4th August 2018, 08:24 PM
Post #25
Group icon

Roobarb and Custard <3 i remember first seeing that back when the 2005 version started airing (fun fact: the theme song was turned into a rave banger (a top 10 hit too) in the 90s)

Angry Beavers sounds like it would've been a cool show, should try and watch some if it's available anywhere

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 4th August 2018, 09:25 PM
Post #26
Group icon

Ah, Psycho Pass really is a great show, glad that made it in, very very effective dystopian stuff, written by the great Gen Urobuchi, who's one of the best TV writers out there, he also wrote Fate/Zero. Cool sounding opening song too.

+Quote this post
DalekTurret32
post 4th August 2018, 10:30 PM
Post #27
Group icon
FIVE YEARS OF THE TURRET 15-20
User: 21,666

I like We Bare Bears.
Captain Pugwash (1998) is a show that I remember quite fondly from my early years of childhood. I saw some episodes on a VHS tape back when I was in Year 1 or 2. I didn't know about the Master Bates euphenism until I saw the 1970's version appear on PhantomStrider's Worst British Cartoons video.

+Quote this post
Klaus
post 4th August 2018, 10:35 PM
Post #28
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦
User: 17,160

Postman Pat </3

64 Zoo Lane aired for 14 SERIES WHAT?!?!

+Quote this post
Mack.
post 4th August 2018, 10:51 PM
Post #29
Group icon
It's still will be the return of the Mack 4eva
User: 12,915

I think it was just the one series of 64 Zoo Lane?

+Quote this post
Klaus
post 4th August 2018, 11:02 PM
Post #30
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦

Oh sorry, I may have read that wrong kink.gif

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post 4th August 2018, 11:04 PM
Post #31
Group icon

There was four seasons and 104 episodes, not sure how they managed to drag that out for fourteen years but apparently so laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post 8th August 2018, 09:24 PM
Post #32
Group icon

61. The Amazing World of Gumball (2011) 89
Aired on Cartoon Network, Gumball is a not about chewing gum but instead focuses on a blue cat and his adoptive brother goldfish as they get into various shenanigans along with a large supporting cast of characters. It is known for it's lack of a clear style and uses multiple animation styles throughout, including traditional, puppetry and CGI, it has made gone through many changes throughout including character redesigns and a shift towards a darker, satirical comedy and still airs to this day on it's sixth season. I've never seen it, but the description look like a bit of eclectic fun.

62. Mr Men (1974) 88
Back to the 1970s now for a series based on the Roger Hargreaves books, It pretty much depicts the stories exactly as the little picture books do with some narration from Dad's Army's Arthur Lowe and a very whimsical theme. It was simple and was hardly intellectually stimulating, but it worked and anyone who loved the books would love these too. I have fond memories of these and owning the VHS tapes and I believe they're available on Youtube if anyone wants a throwback. A Little Miss series was made in 1983 to depict that strand of books, though I never saw it.

63. Xiaolin Showdown (2003) 84
Some high votes from Liam and Jade ensure a decent finishing position for this mid-00s American show that follows four Xiaolin warriors battling to protect the Shen Gong Wu, ancient artifacts that villains could use to control the world, every episode usually features a magical battle between a hero and villain for possession of the artifact. It ran for three seasons and was a huge hit for the Kids WB network, regularly being it's most watched show of the week, a follow up series, Xiaolin Chronicles was made ten years after this one on Disney XD, clearly the interest had waned since then though as it only ran for a season before going to Netflix for the end. I've never saw this and none of the pictures are ringing a bell, does seem like the sort of thing I might have enjoyed as a kid (has just about every Eastern mythology stereotype coined in kink.gif), I blame the fact it didn't have trading cards (actually I definitely remember this theme song, but no episodes hmmm).

64. Dastardly & Muttley In Their Flying Machines (1969) 82
OMG I LOVED this show, I actually ran through the series again earlier in the year as it was on Vimeo. A spin-off of the show, Wacky Races, this features the classic villain, Dick Dastardly and his snickering hound sidekick, Muttley as they attempt to catch a homing pigeon, Yankee Doodle Pigeon, and deliver the messages to their general. Needless to say, they never manage it and every episode essentially revolves around the duo along with their kooky sidekick pilots - Zilly, a terrified pilot that often hides in his coat and Klunk, a plane inventor that can often only communicate in bird calls - building a wacky invention and formulating a plan only for it to go wrong and Dastardly being the one that suffers by falling out of the sky and often having a bad landing depending on if he can tempt Muttley to rescue him by giving him a medal. The show only had two voice actors - Paul Winchell as Dastardly and Don Messick as everyone else. It only ran for a season and isn't the most well remembered, but I'm glad one other person holds it in as high regard as I do, it's silly but very enjoyable and the characters make it. You may know it as 'Stop the Pigeon', as it was often mistaken for thanks to it's theme song.

65. Garfield and Friends (1988) 79
And yet another classic, Garfield and Friends was the first TV adaptation of the comic strip of the now world renowned fat cat created by Jim Davis. It additionally had a segment of Orson's Farm, which focused on a quirky group of farm animals and their various escapades on the farmyard (which seemingly doesn't have any humans), nothing Orwellian about it don't worry, but ofc. the focus was Garfield - it was possibly the one adaptation that got Garfield and it's supporting cast 100% right - Garfield, the fat, cynical, self-centred lasagne loving cat often inadvertently getting into domestic escapades with his hapless, long suffering yet caring owner Jon and his enthusiastic, gullible puppy, Odie. It has a lot of the humour from the additional comic strips, but was padded out a bit more to build more of a world. It was largely successful and was somewhat unfairly cancelled in 1994 despite still doing well in the ratings. There have been many new Garfield spin off TV shows and some god awful live action movies since, but certainly none have captured the essence of Garfield as much as this show did (and TRY forgetting that theme song).

66. Teen Titans (2002) 78
One of Cartoon Network's most famous and critically acclaimed shows, it's somewhat a bit low down here. based on the DC Comics characters of the same name that were often teenage sidekicks to the more well known character such as Robin, Starfire and Cyborg and is largely adapted from the early 80s New Teen Titans comics. DC may not do movies very well, but they did have a penchant for TV shows and in a similar way to Batman: The Animated Series and X Men (which stunningly didn't make the top 100 here), it received much acclaim for it's dark themes and character development. It was so popular that it ran for longer than intended, ending in 2006 and was revamped in 2013 as Teen Titans Go! which is still running and had a short TV Movie released this year, though it isn't receiving anywhere near as good reviews. There are a lot of parallels with this and the still-to-come Powerpuff Girls in terms of Cartoon Network shows and the two even did a crossover at one point, albeit when both shows had much less critical attention. I alas never watched this as I did most superhero series, but I certainly know of it.

67. Little Witch Academia (2017) 77
A very recent one now that does very well considering, it started as just a short film which was then uploaded onto YouTube, then another short film was produced two years later in 2015 thanks partially to a Kickstarter campaign and early last year, an anime TV show with two blocks of thirteen episodes each were made available on Netflix with apparently another season planned. The show focuses on a recruit to a school for young witches who struggles due to her muggle backgrounds (probably don't actually use that word but eh) until she discovers the Shiny Rod, which has powerful magic abilities. I've seen this mentioned on here a lot, but haven't yet checked it out, certainly gotta be worth something with how much it's expanded recently.

68. Attack On Titan (2013) 75 (Same voters, highest: 43)
Another anime, and this one I'm actually familiar as it's being hailed as one of the best modern animes and crossing over to Western audiences, as well as boosting sales for the original manga more. It focuses on a dystopian future where citizens live inside enormous walls which keep out Titans, huge giant-like humanoids who prey on humans. One titan breaches the walls of the home town of Eren, who vows revenge and sets out to reclaim the world from the Titans. Sooo sounds like David and Goliath extended. It's aired for only two seasons but it has proved very popular so far (and that theme is pretty epic).

69. My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic (2011) 75 (Same voters, highest: 42)
GOD, Did I not state Bronies were not eligible to vote in this sleep.gif Take your bizarre obsessions with little kids programmes elsewhere!1 it's not like they make really good music which I may or may not possibly be sending to BJSC this month Birthed out of the Hasbro toy line, the show expands this to a whole world and universe of Equestria, it follows the adventures of Twilight Sparkle and how she is introduced to the concept of friendship by her mentor, Princess Celestia, and meeting other ponies with various whimsical names on the way. Despite being aimed at young girls, the series was a huge success, becoming the Hub Network's best rated series forming many new marketing strategies and airing for eight seasons. It is known for forming a fanbase of male pony lovers called 'bronies' some of which are on this very forum angel.gif It has expanded well beyond it's roots and has created one of the strangest yet interesting fandoms found on the internet with various art works, memes, fan fiction, music...srsly there's a lot out there, look them up if you want to find out the true extent. It continues to charm to this day, with a movie being released last year.

70. Mr. Men and Little Miss (1995) 74 (more votes) (literally the only one available sorry!)
And finally another version of Mr Men, this time incorporating all of the characters in the world together to form many new stories beyond the original picture books. It aired for three years. Not much else I can say about it that I didn't for the first one, less simple and more classic kids show, but it did it's job.

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 8th August 2018, 09:48 PM
Post #33
Group icon

Ooh, MLP! Yeah, I stopped watching the show years ago but it was a fun positive show with surprisingly interesting and cool plotlines for a kid's show (almost to young adult fantasy levels in certain episodes, like the wonderful Discord (voiced by Q from Star Trek) 2-parter).

Attack On Titan is fantastic, anime Game Of Thrones etc, the third season is airing now on Sundays for the rest of this year *.* I really enjoy how each season feels completely different, first is very much heavy action, second is more mystery and thriller, and the third (albeit basing this off of only three episodes) seems to be shaping up into political intrigue. But there's a solid cast of characters, a very well-developed world (within the confines of the walls) and it's a show with a large number of 'oh my god that actually happened' moments which is always nice.

Little Witch Academia is a lovely cute show, all focused on exploring this really interesting world of magic that's really quite funny (also Sucy best girl by light-years). Was very relaxing to watch and go through.

I have also heard Teen Titans is good (and sort of seen an episode here and there).

+Quote this post
DalekTurret32
post 9th August 2018, 05:18 AM
Post #34
Group icon

I remember watching a DVD of the first six episodes of Dastardly And Muttley back in Summer 2010. I enjoyed it alot.

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post 9th August 2018, 10:50 PM
Post #35
Group icon

51. CatDog (1998) 113
I'm surprised this one did so well, but I'm glad some of you remember this quite quirky early Nicktoon. Featuring the misadventures of two conjoined twins, one a cat and one a dog. Two very different personalities as you can imagine, Cat being cultured and classy and Dog being excitable and fun-loving, they get into many situations and have many enemies in a town full of humanoid animals. A bit like Angry Beavers, the two had very good chemistry and you really wanted to root for them which made this a nice, underrated cartoon that I'd recommend if you like a bit of unlikely duo style stuff.

52. Johnny Bravo (1997) 112
We get to one of the original Cartoon Network Cartoon Cartoons now which were one of the highlights of my childhood, and Johnny Bravo is very much one of those classics. Notable for launching the careers of animators like Seth MacFarlane and Butch Hartman, Johnny Bravo was as you can expect a somewhat more mature cartoon about a muscular, arrogant hothead who tries to woo women, but is often unsuccessful and is ultimately made a fool of. It featured many celebrity cameos like Adam West and Donny Osmond and was known for it's pop culture references and adult humour. It is still seen as one of the original and best cartoons on the network and it was indeed a really funny show that wasn't always PC and all the better for it.

53. The Pink Panther Show (1969) 109
Based on the comedy mystery films featuring the escapades of Inspector Clouseau, the title character from the opening animated series proved so popular that he got his own Saturday morning cartoon, which still featured a collection of short cartoons from the Inspector, over time and even won an Oscar for Best Animated Short for The Pink Phink, it underwent many title changes with more focus going towards the title character and giving him something of a life and a new theme song. Seen now as one of the high points of classic silent animation, he remains an icon in popular culture and continues to star in many films, cartoons and similar media. I can't remember if I watched the original or a later reversion, it was certainly a bit more kid friendly, certainly a cartoon to be admired nonetheless.

54. Ren & Stimpy (1991) 104
And one of the original screwball cartoons of the first Nicktoons era along with Rugrats and Doug, it ran for five seasons and received considerable critical acclaim both during and after it's release for it's dark adult humour, innuendoes and violence which attracted controversy but attention nonetheless, and it's still seen as one of the defining cartoons of it's era, so perhaps a little too low but maybe we were a bit too young to appreciate it. Featuring the strange and diverse experiences of the short tempered chihuahua and a happy go lucky cat, it was also notable for drawing on many golden age cartoons like Looney Tunes and Tom & Jerry . I wish I was older at the time to appreciate it as my overall experience of this show is quite limiting, but what I saw, I liked.

55. Bob's Burgers (2011) 103
A fairly recent Fox animated show about a family who run a hamburger restaurant. It was slow to get off the ground, but critical reception grew much more positive and it remains one of the most popular and acclaimed cartoons currently airing on it's ninth season and has won the Emmy for Outstanding Animated Programme for four years running from 2014-17, has crossed over with many other adult cartoons like The Simpsons, Aqua Teen... and Archer and has even had a few restaurant chains and recipe books released after it. I PROBABLY need to watch this as I only saw a few episodes and I don't think I got it, but then I remember very little so I don't have the best judgement x

56. Danger Mouse (1981) 97 (More voters)
Written as a parody of British spy fiction, mainly that of James Bond and the Danger Man series, Danger Mouse follows the adventures of a hotshot white mouse and his cowardly companion, Penfold. It ran for ten seasons until 1992 and a reboot aired in 2015, it remains one of the most well known 80s cartoons, it's phrases still quotable today and has spawned a variety of media franchise in it's time. This is another one I haven't seen an awful lot of, but I definitely enjoyed it when I did watch it.

57. Cow & Chicken (1997) 97
And another one of the classic Cartoon Cartoons, certainly one of the most bizarre too. Following the wild adventures of a sibling happy go lucky cow and a cynical chicken with human parents who we never see the faces of and the antagonist, a sardonic Devil like creature called Red Guy. The humour was grotesque and rather too much at times, but it all fit with the theme of the show and there was an entertaining and moral voice beyond all the wackiness that did always make it entertaining. It was relatively short lived, only running for two years and with four seasons, but it's still a fun watch if it's your sort of thing. Fun fact: The cow is considered scared in Hindu culture, so due to the constant abuse of Cow in the show, the series was largely ignored in India.

58. Gravity Falls (2012) 96 (More voters)
A Disney Channel original series, featuring a brother and sister duo who spend the summer with their Great Uncle in the town of Gravity Falls, filled with supernatural and paranormal creatures. It ran for only two seasons until 2016, but the creator wanted proper closure and the series received critical acclaim throughout. I'm sure it deserves much better commentary than this rush job, sorry!

59. Assassination Classroom (2015) 96
Another victory for you anime people, two sets of high scores sees this way up at 59th. Telling the story of a powerful Octopus like teacher and his students who work to assassinate him in order to save the Earth. Originally a single video animation, a series was later aired which ran for two seasons and a live action film and a sequel have also been released. Wikipedia isn't giving me anything else, so I'll let you guys talk about it x

60. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1987) 94
Based on the comic book characters with a small cult following, this 1987 TV series launched the now world renowned turtles into a worldwide phenomenon. A hugely successful series airing up until 1996. It followed the turtles' origins and various adventures and was a much lighter tone than the comics originally but got a lot more dark in tone around it's eighth season, as well as an educational 'tips' section away from the main cartoon. It diverged from the comics a lot, but has been nonetheless acclaimed as the definitive turtles adaptation and one that's influence can be still be seen today as are it's immortalised characters. That's about all I can say, as I was never rlly into the turtles for some reason and somehow managed to avoid this completely oops.

-x-

OK, we're halfway through. This will take a break now until I get back from my holiday, feel free to still use the thread to discuss shows and whatnot though! happy.gif

+Quote this post
DalekTurret32
post 10th August 2018, 12:53 PM
Post #36
Group icon

I like CatDog, Bob's Burgers and Gravity Falls (especailly the last one).
I need to see Ren And Stimpy, from some clips I've seen it looks like a show I might enjoy a lot. I also heard of the adult cartoon version on SpikeTV that wasn't very well recieved in the animation reviewing community.

+Quote this post
seven.
post 10th August 2018, 01:09 PM
Post #37
Group icon

Ren & Stimpy wub.gif it really is a must-see, you guys don't know what you're missing

Gumball smashing as well *.* really unique and funny show

+Quote this post
DalekTurret32
post 10th August 2018, 07:05 PM
Post #38
Group icon

QUOTE(SevenSeize @ Aug 10 2018, 02:09 PM) *
Gumball smashing as well *.* really unique and funny show

Ikr! smile.gif

+Quote this post
Liаm
post 10th August 2018, 07:09 PM
Post #39
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!
User: 10,139

Xiaolin Showdown was SO good, I go back to it even now laugh.gif I used to play with my friends that we had Shen Gong Wu and I used to always draw the characters and write my own little stories about them. The follow-up series just wasn't as good.

I need to check out Little Witch Academia, it's on my Netflix list!

+Quote this post
Klaus
post 10th August 2018, 07:18 PM
Post #40
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦

Bob’s Burgers is one I really need to check out! sad.gif

PUT IT ON NETFLIX ALREADY

+Quote this post