BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

10 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Spice Girls Solo Singles Rate: RESULTS, Edited the results + full results revealed
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
spiceboy
post Nov 15 2017, 07:40 AM
Post #61
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,568
I can’t believe not such an innocent girl in still in the running sick2.gif sick2.gif
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
McAndrew
post Nov 15 2017, 10:56 AM
Post #62
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 39,551
'On The Horizon' is a great song. Very memorable. But similarities with co-writer Gregg Alexander's other work (New Radicals 'You Get What You Give', Santana 'The Game of Love'), show that it was too much of an out-of-date sound for a chart smash.

The styling of Melanie in the video was a bit lazy too. Shame the 'Yeh, Yeh, Yeh' stylist wasn't around for the whole album campaign. She looked so cool in that one.

This post has been edited by Michael Andrew: Nov 15 2017, 11:03 AM

+Quote this post
Jade
post Nov 15 2017, 03:06 PM
Post #63
Group icon
Alone and wounded
Pronouns: She/her
User: 12,810
'All I Need To Know' is lovely! The 'Life In Mono' project (minus 'Downtown') is so underrated in general really.

+Quote this post
Nina West
post Nov 16 2017, 10:27 PM
Post #64
Group icon
We're all Glitter and Tears in the Moonlight...
User: 19,846
I can dance like no one's watching

#25. Geri Halliwell - Ride It [6.685]

Highest Scores: 10: (Hide&Seek, mutucan, liamk97), 9: (SamJudd, Lukuzz, Jay, Schizo Spice), Lowest Scores: -1: (Jonjo)

At #25 we have Geri Halliwell's 'Ride It', released in November 2004 as the first single from her 3rd album 'Passion' and peaked at #4 on the UK charts, despite a midweek position of #2 and strong competition that week from the likes of Girls Aloud, Destiny's Child & Lemar. The song received a mixed critical reception with most of the negatively directed towards it's music video which was deemed too sexual to air on 'Top Of The Pops' and had to be edited and Simon Cowell famously panned it himself stating "If I was her record label and that video arrived on my desk I would throw it in the bin" and in response Geri demanded an explanation and apology which she never got. Despite all this the song still managed to become her 8th top 10 hit in a row, however it would be the last time that she'd ever have a top 10 hit.

Despite a considerable amount of success with her debut album and it's 3 chart toppers back in 99/00, she had lost momentum by the time her 3rd album came around and the blame for this falls largely on Geri herself, firstly the 3 years away didn't help matters as like I've said several times before the music scene simply moved on and while her wacky persona worked wonders at first, it kinda worn very thin by the time her 2nd album came around, allowing it to detract from the music, resulting in terrible reviews and not so great sales that saw her stock drop considerably and she needed something strong to comeback with.

She chooses now to comeback with something to prove by firstly dropping her last name Halliwell and going for a diva-esque 'Geri' as well as jumping on the disco pop bandwagon and what she delivers here is a fine piece of campy music that did re-establish her presence in the charts to some extent and it is a kind of sound that Geri sounds comfortable with, along with it's glossy futuristic production and fluffy lyrics, it's a decent effort, even if she is trying way too hard to be a gay icon. The song is no masterpiece whatsoever it just gets the job done and it's at least fun and while it may not be for the ages, it's still a fun time capsule in pop and does rank as one of Geri Halliwell's most memorable moments.

However as for the music video, I completely agree with Simon Cowell, it is dreadful even by 2004's standards and this is what I mean by her desperately trying to reach out for that gay audience, this just reeks of trying way too hard and falls flat with it's terrible cheap production and too much going on which makes the whole thing tacky and tasteless, and what this song could have done with was a better music video that highlights it's fun factor better than this.

+Quote this post
schizo_spice
post Nov 16 2017, 11:19 PM
Post #65
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 39,574
Ride It was such an exciting time after almost 3 years of nothing musically from her. Sadly it would her final time in the UK Top ten singles and that isn't likely to change.

Great pop song and I've never had a problem with the video really it's funny. I guess she could've shot a more generic video but then that wouldn't have been very Geri.

+Quote this post
McAndrew
post Nov 17 2017, 07:15 AM
Post #66
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
'Ride It' was not my favourite. For me, it was a bit too generic euro-pop. I don't hear Geri's personality at all.

+Quote this post
vibe
post Nov 17 2017, 11:16 AM
Post #67
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 11,763
Ride it has one of the worst music videos ever !!!

+Quote this post
Nina West
post Nov 17 2017, 11:02 PM
Post #68
Group icon
Religion is the smile on the dog

#24. Emma Bunton (Ft Tin, Tin Out) - What I Am [6.833]

Highest Scores: 10: (SamJudd, Liam), 9.5/9: (Michael Andrew, Lukuzz, HappyApa, Maurice, LazySpice88), Lowest Scores: 2: (Hide&Seek)

[At #24 is Emma Bunton's first step into solo stardom with her debut hit 'What I Am' and also features British band Tin, Tin Out and originally featured on their 2nd album 'Eleven To Fly' in November 1999 and would later feature on Emma's first album 'A Girl Like Me', as the first single from that album also. The song was originally written and recorded by 'Edie Brickell & The Bohemians' back in 1988, and became a top 10 success in the USA, but only managed #31 on the UK charts. Emma Bunton had much better luck with her version by debuting at #2, 29 places higher than the original. This came during an immense chart battle against Geri Halliwell's 'Lift Me Up' throughout the week, but Geri would end up winning with 140,000 copies sold during it's first week, while Emma ended up with 106,000 copies, which isn't a bad result and she would get her shot at the #1 spot later on with her next release.

Emma became the 4th Spice Girl to go solo and like most of the others it would feature another artist or band (only Geri's debut single was by herself), it's quite funny that I've never really took notice before but there you go. Now I actually do like this song, it's a decent pop song with catchy vocals and something very much of it's time with it's 90's trip hop sound and I know most of you on Buzzjack are probably not familiar with the band 'Tin, Tin Out' as this sounds pretty much like all their other songs and this would end up being their final chart hit as their follow up single failed to chart, and wouldn't release anything else, apart from remixing songs for other artists including Emma Bunton again on her debut album.

The song's intro does sound a lot like 'What Can I Do' by The Corrs who were very big at the time and given the fact that it was produced by the same people, isn't that surprising. But what I do really like about this song is that Emma just lets loose and has fun with it, you can see her trying to shed her Baby Spice image with it's slightly risqué lyrics, which comes across more as Emma being a bit cheeky and doesn't quite manage to shed her good girl image, but that doesn't really matter as her bubbly personality really shines through on this and I have seen this slated by fans of the original, and while yes this doesn't really stray too far away, who cares I still really like this song and don't really know the original version well enough to have any sort of connection to it.

Like I said this is very much a product of it's time and not that well remembered anymore, but who cares it's still a pleasant song that you can go back to now and again and feel that wave of nostalgia that takes you back to the 90's, which in my opinion was a much better time for music than what the music scene has become now.

+Quote this post
Nina West
post Nov 18 2017, 07:13 AM
Post #69
Group icon
Would it shatter your illusion if this angel had a past?

#23. Victoria Beckham - Not Such An Innocent Girl [6.944]

Highest Scores: 11: (Lukuzz), 9: (Michael Andrew, Jack), Lowest Scores: 2: (Mr.X)

At #23 we finally have another Victoria Beckham single to drop, 'Not Such An Innocent Girl', released in September 2001 as the lead single from her debut self-titled album 'Victoria Beckham'. Facing competition in a hugely hyped chart battle with Kylie Minouge and her classic hit 'Can't Get You Out Of My Head', in the end it didn't turn out to be much of a battle as Kylie trounced her to the #1 spot with 306,000, while Victoria had to settle for a #6 peak position with 36,000 copies sold, and of course the media had a field day with this result and panned her solo outing before it even had a chance to really take off.

It's a shame really that Victoria didn't stand a chance in hell of succeeding on her own, what with the media mocking every move she made, it's just unfair really but that's the price you pay for living your entire life in the spotlight and creating headlines and drama everywhere she goes. As for the song itself, sure it's no masterpiece and doesn't compare in anyway to Kylie's ultimate classic, on it's own it's decent enough, it's her post-Spice statement to shake off her band image, which she does rather well actually and you can see that she's gradually starting to develop her own signature sound, combining slick R&B with pop that just oozes with her usual glamour and charm.

Even the music video which has to be one of the most complex solo Spice videos out there with it's futuristic theme with good and bad Victoria's battling out, then finally merging together at the end, it was a hell of a lot of fun and highly camp, delightfully camp (I just loved it). While she may not have the strongest voice compared to the other girls, she does have a rather nice soulful tone to her and songs like this perfectly suit her. On the whole this is just a catchy fun pop song that's harmless and nice enough.

As for the album her self titled effort would be her only official release as her 2nd album which I will talk about later would end up scrapped. This managed to peak at #10 on the UK charts before falling out 3 weeks later selling around 52,000 copies, a far cry from the £3 Million spent to record it, as well as receiving mixed to negative reviews and would be her only album on the Virgin label. It seems that hiring all the top producers and writers doesn't always help and can't mask the lack of creativity and above average material.

+Quote this post
McAndrew
post Nov 18 2017, 10:49 AM
Post #70
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Gosh, the comparison to 'Can't Get You Out of My Head' is a tough one to swallow. But that song is a one-in-a-million, era-defining pop gold.

Sure, as a solo singer, Victoria is nowhere near Kylie - or even Emma Bunton. But, to my ear at least, Victoria has a stronger voice than Geri. But then ginger writes catchier songs...

I'm just failing to excuse my '9' and throwing Geri under the bus in the process tongue.gif

+Quote this post
vibe
post Nov 18 2017, 12:36 PM
Post #71
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
I don't believe that virgin would spend 3 million pounds on the recording of any album.

As if .

+Quote this post
schizo_spice
post Nov 18 2017, 01:12 PM
Post #72
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 39,574
QUOTE(vibe @ Nov 18 2017, 12:36 PM) *
I don't believe that virgin would spend 3 million pounds on the recording of any album.

As if .

I'm pretty sure that is true they obviously thought she was going to smash it as a solo artist given the expensive video for Not Such an Innocent Girl and the expensive looking new website she launched at the time alongside the expensive producers used and the thought that she could easily take on Kylie in a chart battle.

There was a big hoo ha around her at that time and I'm sure an era like Cheryl Coles first was expected.

+Quote this post
Nina West
post Nov 18 2017, 10:35 PM
Post #73
Group icon
Who knows what we will become

#22. Geri Halliwell - Lift Me Up [7.037]

Highest Scores: 11: (Hide&Seek), 10: (SamJudd, Lukuzz, Jack, Jonjo, engineer, LazySpice88), Lowest Scores: 1: (Mr.X, THEO)

At #22 is Geri Halliwell's 'Lift Me Up', which was released in November 1999 as the 3rd single from her debut album 'Schizophonic' and debuted and peaked at #1 becoming not only her 2nd chart topper but winning the chart battle in which I've already talked about against fellow Spice Girl member Emma Bunton and her first solo single. Geri had criticised the record company for allegedly exploiting fans by encouraging the head to head race, even though she had won by end and even had the highest total sales with 346,000 copies sold overall.

Another pretty decent Solo Spice Girl effort which sees a change of pace for Geri Halliwell at the time, with her first 2 releases being up-tempo numbers and then slow things down slightly with a feel good pop ballad (sort of), and while this may lack the creative edge lyrically it still packs a punch and shows that she still has plenty of fight in her. However it's within the slower numbers where she shows the weaker aspects of her vocals, she simply struggles to hit those high notes and lacks the sentiment that this song needs. It also doesn't help that the production pretty much drowns her out, but she does try and pull it off with such hearty conviction and allowing her charisma to shine through. Well anyway the song does what it says on the tin, it's an uplifting (sorry for the pun) feel good pop number with it's soft beats, church organ and gospel choir that now may have aged pretty badly, but still a okay effort.

I absolutely adored this song at the time and was a huge Geri Halliwell fan, in fact I'd bought both these singles that week and was actually glad that Geri got to the #1 spot, it was well earned and well deserved and this was a time when she was at the very top of her game and still had plenty of life in her for the time being anyway. Another reason as to why I think that Geri won this battle is that simply she wanted it more, her drive and determination got her there and the public were willing to let her have it and damn it she'd worked hard enough to get it anyway.

+Quote this post
McAndrew
post Nov 19 2017, 11:11 AM
Post #74
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Geri's TV performances of this song definitely had the edge on Emma. The signing, the midriff, the exposed bra, the wind machine, the hunks, and the actual lift! Geri loves a gimmick and she clearly wanted to win this battle.

Funny anecdote: My spice-hating raver dad (listening to Vibe FM sick2.gif) accidentally praised the Metro remix of 'Lift Me Up', not knowing it was Geri. When I gave him the news, his dis-belief was hilarious.

It is a great remix.

This post has been edited by Michael Andrew: Nov 19 2017, 02:48 PM

+Quote this post
vibe
post Nov 19 2017, 11:11 AM
Post #75
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
I prefer LMU to WIA

+Quote this post
Lukuzz
post Nov 19 2017, 01:42 PM
Post #76
Group icon
Paradise With Ice Cream Skies♥
User: 1,209
Some amazing songs there. Love all of them last 4. Not Such An Innocent Girl should have been top 20!

+Quote this post
Nina West
post Nov 19 2017, 06:10 PM
Post #77
Group icon
Your love has made a deep impact

#21. Mel B (Ft Missy Elliot) - I Want You Back [7.074]

Highest Scores: 11: (JB2o2o), 10: (Mr.X, Michael Andrew), Lowest Scores: 1: (Hide&Seek)

Just outside the top 20 is Mel B's debut solo single 'I Want You Back', which was released in September 1998 as the lead single from her debut album 'Hot'and features American R&B diva Missy Elliot and shot straight to the #1 spot, becoming not only the first Spice Girl to go solo, but also first to have a chart topping smash outside the group. This was the first time Mel B had considered doing something on her own, she was on tour with her bandmates when Missy Elliot called her up and said that she had a song for her and asked if she could record it with her, of course Mel said yes and checked with the other girls and was given the okay and the rest was history.

Despite this being very different to what she'd done with the other girls up to this point, this song was a fantastic start to her solo career with the impressive support and stellar production by the fabulous Missy Elliot, they had both delivered something really great here with some really cool bass and addictive beats and vocal rhythms which gets better as the song progresses, and all of which definitely makes this the most dynamic solo offering out of all the other girls. Another aspect that I like about it is that it shows just how versatile Mel B can be with her style of singing, like for instant she can show her softer side and then kick into a more intimidating persona.

Let's not forget Missy's fantastic contribution here where her appearance really makes the whole thing work like a charm and shows just how impressive a producer she can be, she really knows what makes another artist's flow and together they made something pretty damn great, an empowerment song of sorts where they're chemistry really bounces off each other, and the dark eerie violin sounds are quite brilliant and really sets the mood and atmosphere of the whole thing. Okay I do have some minor quips about this, like the lyrics do get quite repetitive after a while and can get quite annoying at times, but on the whole the song is pretty great and deserved a much higher place on here than this.

This means that Mel B only has one song left in the running, but at least she's managed to have 1 song left in the top 20, like all the other Spice Girls do. Plus while she gets top marks for having a kick ass debut solo single, it's really a shame that some of her other solo releases couldn't quite live up to this, which is a shame because like I already said that this was a very good start for her.

+Quote this post
Nina West
post Nov 19 2017, 06:14 PM
Post #78
Group icon
Here's how many songs each of the Spice Girls has left in the top 20 =

Mel B = 1/7
Melanie C = 7/19
Geri Halliwell = 4/11
Emma Bunton = 5/10
Victoria Beckham = 3/5

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post Nov 19 2017, 07:28 PM
Post #79
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,568
I Want You Back is easily Mel's best solo effort. It's such a cool song really funky RnB rather than the more generic RnB she went for on the album. I don't get why Mel didn't work further with Missy on the album since the formula worked so well for her in the first place. Would have been really interested to see what further work with Missy would have brought.

+Quote this post
vibe
post Nov 19 2017, 07:32 PM
Post #80
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Missy was right the song really suits Mels vocal style .

Cool video too.

+Quote this post

10 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 11:21 PM