BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Rita Ora: The Singles Rate RESULTS, Winner and full results on page four
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Theonix
post Nov 10 2017, 06:47 PM
Post #1
Group icon
BUY Phoenix on Amazon / STREAM Phoenix on Spotify
User: 8,661

Thank you to the 61 (SIXTY-ONE!!) of you who rated, results will begin tonight! I have counted all rates and it is very close at the top - not so much at the bottom! #14-16 coming up...

Predict, hype, etc.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
post Nov 10 2017, 06:49 PM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 19,931
Anywhere to smash!

+Quote this post
Liаm
post Nov 10 2017, 06:57 PM
Post #3
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!
User: 10,139
Radioactive will be too low x

+Quote this post
lotita
post Nov 10 2017, 07:29 PM
Post #4
Group icon
feminist icon
Pronouns: she/her
User: 21,777
Anywhere to win

+Quote this post
Cowboy Cody
post Nov 10 2017, 07:33 PM
Post #5
Group icon
new hair, new tee, new Levii’s Jeans
User: 21,308
I expect me to be in the minority for the best Rita song and I'm not ashamed

+Quote this post
Theonix
post Nov 10 2017, 07:36 PM
Post #6
Group icon

16. "Lay Down Your Weapons" (with K Koke) - 3.4262 (Max: 8.5 - spapedVop; 8 - NocheLuna / Min: -1 - JosephStyles, Nick Jonas, Jay, danG)
UK chart peak: #18

15. "New York Raining" (with Charles Hamilton) - 5.0328 (Max: 10 - darkstar79, 9 - George.keh / Min: -1: jafetsigfinns, 0 - Buttered Muffin, Cucumberella)
UK chart peak: #29

14. "Shine Ya Light" - 5.5164 (Max: 9.5 - Josh!, cqmerqn, Addy! / Min: -1 - Tawdry Hepburn, Brébino, Rob S)
UK chart peak: #10

Kicking things off we have our last-placed song by a long distance, "Lay Down Your Weapons". It was the second single that Rita featured on and followed an incredible 2012 for her. I do have to give it to her, as even with an artist as irrelevant as K Koke(?!), Rita still promoted it alongside him which helped it get a top twenty peak before plummeting immediately. The song itself is nothing spectacular and feels very dated now, chasing 2010 music trends three years too late, imitating the sounds of "Airplanes" and "Love the Way You Lie" from that year. It is the most-hated song here, scoring four -1s.

At #15 is another feature, this time Charles Hamilton's "New York Raining" which was released as a single from the soundtrack to the TV series 'Empire'. Rita sounds great on this but the song itself feels very dated, which I think is why it got as much hate here as it did. I personally think that it's part of its charm, this time sounding like it came straight out of the early 00s pop scene alongside Christina Milian and Samantha Mumba. This probably would have peaked higher in the UK chart if it was released during Rita's stint on the Voice UK, where it was premiered seven weeks prior on the live final with a performance by both artists.

Closing off this section is the first single where Rita is credited as the lead artist, "Shine Ya Light". It's probably the most divisive song in Rita's discography - personally, I don't hate it but it isn't my favourite song of hers and it isn't one that I have replayed that much since it was released. The music video for this was filmed in Rita's city of birth, Pristina, which she explained as an homage to Kosovo and to help put it on the map. It was a fourth consecutive top ten single from the album 'ORA' following a performance on the X Factor.

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post Nov 10 2017, 07:36 PM
Post #7
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
Pronouns: he/him
User: 13,530
An easy last placer, well-deserved for a terrible track and the only bad moment in an otherwise fantastic discography for Rita.

New York Raining is underrated! Shine Ya Light has aged quite badly though so I'm not too gutted about its placing.

+Quote this post
Liаm
post Nov 10 2017, 07:43 PM
Post #8
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!
No loss for any of those tbh

+Quote this post
ML Hammer95
post Nov 10 2017, 07:50 PM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 21,265
I don't think 'Lay Down Your Weapons' is that bad, but wow it sounds so dated now. It happened because K Koke had been signed to Roc Nation (where Rita Ora was too) and this was the attempt to break him in the UK. The single he released before (Turn Back with Maverick Sabre) was ten times better than this, and he was dropped soon after. I think the problem was K Koke literally only rapped about one subject - his hard upbringing and had no real pop sensibilities. He needed to release a lighter-hearted track before trying something like this.

Not surprised to see it last, but probably shouldn't be (not when Poison is here).

+Quote this post
Theonix
post Nov 10 2017, 08:17 PM
Post #10
Group icon

13. "Body on Me" (ft. Chris Brown) - 7.0738 (Max: 11 - jafetsigfinns, HausofSZA / Min: 0 - Buttered Muffin; 3 - Rob S)
UK chart peak: #22

12. "Coming Home" (with Sigma) - 7.2131 (Max: 11 - Nick F1, Dobbo / Min: 1 - Scene; 2 - blacksquare, Buttered Muffin)
UK chart peak: #15

11. "Radioactive" - 7.377 (Max: 11 - Liam, sorryislayed / Min: -1 - ML Hammer95; 4 - blacksquare)
UK chart peak: #18

In thirteenth place is "Body on Me", a collaboration with Chris Brown that was presumably intended to be the second single from Rita's second studio album until she parted ways with her label and lost all previous recordings. I actually think it's a very strong song and it feels quite well-remembered amongst the general public despite its limited success in the chart, following the move to an actual on-air/on-sale policy a couple of months before this was released. Looking at the ranking here, it looks too low but with an average over 7.0, you can't really complain. I would prefer it without Chris Brown's vocals on it but you can't have everything.

Next up is "Coming Home", Rita's collaboration with Sigma which was released while she was a judge on the X Factor. It's a drum'n'bass song at heart, a genre that Rita explored a lot on her debut album to great success but didn't quite repeat those successes with this as the popularity of the genre faded. I think it's a great feel-good song and didn't really rediscover it until I watched her stripped-back version of it at Radio 1's Big Weekend this year.

Just missing out on a place in the top 10 is "Radioactive", the final single to be released from 'ORA'. This has a huge chorus and it's something that differentiates it from a lot of the rest of the album. It became her first single to miss the official top 10 so it's slightly made up for that here with a healthy average rating.

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post Nov 10 2017, 08:20 PM
Post #11
Group icon
Body On Me is ridiculously low!!!! It's aged SO well and I return to it lots wub.gif Radioactive on the other hand has never been a big favourite of mine really sad.gif

+Quote this post
Josh!
post Nov 10 2017, 08:21 PM
Post #12
Group icon
c:
User: 20,692
I wasn't exactly expecting "Body On Me" to do great but 13th isn't a little disappointing sad.gif She sound so good on a slick R&B track and it's a sound that I wish she'd experiment with a bit more often (even though she's delivering amazing pop bangers right now so I can't really complain heehee.gif

I think my least favourite tracks aside from the K Koke collaboration would be "Coming Home" and "Poison" so hopefully the latter is out soon. I'm also both hoping and predicting that "I Will Never Let You Down" will win!! heart.gif

+Quote this post
Cameron
post Nov 10 2017, 08:23 PM
Post #13
Group icon
THE BLAZE *.*
User: 18,061
Doing It to slay please

+Quote this post
Liаm
post Nov 10 2017, 08:23 PM
Post #14
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!
Body On me is a bit overrated, I'd probably have it a tad higher but not much. Radioactive tho nooo </3

+Quote this post
Theonix
post Nov 10 2017, 09:20 PM
Post #15
Group icon

10. "Poison" - 7.4016 (Max: 11 - George.keh, SeanGrey, Scene / Min: 1 - ML Hammer95; 2 - Brébino)
UK chart peak: #3

9. "How We Do (Party)" - 7.7213 (Max: 11 - SamJudd, Mack / Min: -1 - Scene, 0 - blacksquare)
UK chart peak: #1

Two of Rita's biggest hits fall out here with "Poison" opening up the top 10. Intended as a fresh start following drama with Calvin Harris which caused Rita's first second album to be cancelled after they broke-up, it was a chart success, becoming Rita's sixth top five hit and has since been certified Gold. I do like it as a song but it is not the style of music that she should be making at all and if this were representative of her second second album, I'm glad we never got to hear it. Thankfully we have her third second album to look forward to in 2018, full of dance-pop songs that are ~still to come~ here.

At #9 is Rita's third consecutive UK #1 single, "How We Do (Party)" and the third song from 'ORA' to drop out. This is definitely one of her poppier efforts and despite the lyrical content in the chorus, is one of her older songs that I continue to hear on the radio. Musically, it is very similar in style to a couple of other hits from the period, notably Jessie J's "Domino" and Katy Perry's "Last Friday Night". It is a bit cheesy but it's a lot of fun and shows off her personality well. It became her first Billboard Hot 100 entry and remains her highest-peaking hit as a solo artist there after reaching #62 although she has out-peaked this with a featured credit which is still to come.

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post Nov 10 2017, 09:23 PM
Post #16
Group icon
Poison has quite a weak chorus for me, I like it but didn't get behind it like I normally do with Rita's singles sad.gif How We Do was the first Rita song I LOVED though, so infectious and the music channels never stopped playing it, loads of good memories wub.gif

+Quote this post
Josh!
post Nov 10 2017, 09:28 PM
Post #17
Group icon
c:
User: 20,692
"How We Do (Party)" is FAR too low here!! I know it gets a bit of a hard time from some people but it is one of my ultimate favourite party tunes. It never fails to put me in a good mood and is just so catchy, I think it's in my top three tracks of hers wub.gif

+Quote this post
Bjork
post Nov 10 2017, 09:29 PM
Post #18
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 22,665
question about Poison, according to wiki it was written by Kate Nash & Julia Michaels
sounds like a weird collaboration
anyone can confirm
never heard that kate nash had written anything for any other artist

+Quote this post
Klumzee
post Nov 10 2017, 09:30 PM
Post #19
Group icon
#TeamAnneMarie
User: 11,421
How We Do (Party) was the ultimate hit chasing song released that year! Mixed feelings about that as it's SO Americanised and Last Friday Night was the original soundalike track but it's still a bop whenever I hear it!

Poison was an odd one as a standalone track it was decent but like others have said it wasn't the type of track I wanted an album's worth of and probably rightfully dropped off the charts fairly quickly.

+Quote this post
Botchia
post Nov 10 2017, 10:00 PM
Post #20
Group icon
I Drink Wine
User: 21,753
Body On Me is too low :/

How We Do sounds more and more dated as time goes by but still a good jam.

+Quote this post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 02:52 AM