BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> The Top 120 TV Shows Of The 60s
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Suedehead2
post 22nd June 2013, 10:13 PM
Post #21
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,272

Not a lot that I remember so far so this is a rare occasion on BJ when I can feel young laugh.gif I remember Father Dear Father from watching it in the 70s. I saw an old episode fairly recently and it was rubbish wasn't it?
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
davetaylor
post 22nd June 2013, 10:14 PM
Post #22
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 5,736

Number 97:

CRANE (1964 Episode) 7.96m

The series was based around Richard Crane (Patrick Allen) who was a successful city businessman who was tired of the big city rat race. He took his money and retired to the sun drenched shores of Morocco, near Casablanca, investing his money in a beach side café and boat.

Having let it be known that his services were available for import and export assignments, he soon found himself involved in minor smuggling activities (tobacco and alcohol, but no drugs). This brought him to the attention of the local chief of police, Colonel Mahmoud (Gerald Flood). The pair developed a healthy respect for each other and there were times when they would join forces against a common enemy. Colonel Mahmoud was assisted by Inspector Larbi played by Bruce Montague.

Crane's only real friend was an ex-Foreign Legionnaire named Orlando O'Connor (Sam Kydd), who became his trusted confidant. The glamour in the show was Halima (Laya Raki), a young Arab girl Crane employed to run the bar in his café.

This post has been edited by davetaylor: 22nd June 2013, 10:14 PM

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post 22nd June 2013, 10:15 PM
Post #23
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

You posted Steptoe while I was writing my last post. It was great for its time but has dated more than programmes such as Dad's Army.

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post 22nd June 2013, 10:18 PM
Post #24
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

QUOTE(davetaylor @ Jun 22 2013, 11:14 PM) *
Number 97:

CRANE (1964 Episode) 7.96m

The series was based around Richard Crane (Patrick Allen) who was a successful city businessman who was tired of the big city rat race. He took his money and retired to the sun drenched shores of Morocco, near Casablanca, investing his money in a beach side café and boat.

Having let it be known that his services were available for import and export assignments, he soon found himself involved in minor smuggling activities (tobacco and alcohol, but no drugs). This brought him to the attention of the local chief of police, Colonel Mahmoud (Gerald Flood). The pair developed a healthy respect for each other and there were times when they would join forces against a common enemy. Colonel Mahmoud was assisted by Inspector Larbi played by Bruce Montague.

Crane's only real friend was an ex-Foreign Legionnaire named Orlando O'Connor (Sam Kydd), who became his trusted confidant. The glamour in the show was Halima (Laya Raki), a young Arab girl Crane employed to run the bar in his café.

Patrick Allen, of course, featured on a number one hit - Two Tribes. When you hear the air attack warning, you and your family must take cover at once. Bruce Montague played Leonard in Butterflies.

+Quote this post
davetaylor
post 22nd June 2013, 10:28 PM
Post #25
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member

Number 96:

THIS WEEK (1963 Edition) 7.98

The ITV Current Affairs show, that later became "TV Eye" & then reverted back to "This Week".

Number 95:

THIS IS YOUR LIFE (December 1969 Edition) 8.00m

Eamonn Andrews springs his big red book on the Beverly Sisters

Here's a complete edition from 1969, with Bobby Charlton:

+Quote this post
davetaylor
post 22nd June 2013, 10:32 PM
Post #26
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member

Number 94:

PLEASE SIR (1969 Episode) 8.00

John Alderton stars as Bernard Hedges in the LWT Sitcom, set at Fenn Street School & the dreaded class of 5C:

+Quote this post
davetaylor
post 22nd June 2013, 10:35 PM
Post #27
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member

Number 93:

EUROVISION SONG CONTEST 1969 8.00m

We all tuned in to see a tie on 29th March 69:

+Quote this post
davetaylor
post 22nd June 2013, 10:42 PM
Post #28
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member

QUOTE(Suedehead2 @ Jun 22 2013, 11:13 PM) *
Not a lot that I remember so far so this is a rare occasion on BJ when I can feel young laugh.gif I remember Father Dear Father from watching it in the 70s. I saw an old episode fairly recently and it was rubbish wasn't it?

Personally I loved it & used to laugh until I cried at Patrick Cargill's inability to confuse & not listen, to what was actually happening with his daughters & the misunderstandings with Nanny.

As Thames first sitcom. Great. IMHO much better than Steptoe. And I could not stand (& still can't) Dad's Army. I think we'll see a few worse than Father Dear Father later....

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post 22nd June 2013, 11:19 PM
Post #29
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

QUOTE(davetaylor @ Jun 22 2013, 11:42 PM) *
Personally I loved it & used to laugh until I cried at Patrick Cargill's inability to confuse & not listen, to what was actually happening with his daughters & the misunderstandings with Nanny.

As Thames first sitcom. Great. IMHO much better than Steptoe. And I could not stand (& still can't) Dad's Army. I think we'll see a few worse than Father Dear Father later....

I enjoyed FDF at the time. It was only when I saw it more recently that I thought it was rubbish. I'm sure there is worse to come though. At least Mind Your Language is from the 70s so that won't feature.

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 23rd June 2013, 10:59 AM
Post #30
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 17,376

QUOTE(davetaylor @ Jun 22 2013, 10:59 PM) *
THE MUSIC OF LENNON & MCCARTNEY (1965) 7.90m

A Granada TV special, showcasing the talents of the 2 Beatles:

Now that was a good 'un. Cilla did a great song, Beatles were fab and more cool.gif

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 23rd June 2013, 11:07 AM
Post #31
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

QUOTE(Suedehead2 @ Jun 23 2013, 12:19 AM) *
I enjoyed FDF at the time. It was only when I saw it more recently that I thought it was rubbish. I'm sure there is worse to come though. At least Mind Your Language is from the 70s so that won't feature.

I'm afraid the vast majority of sitcoms from that period were , being kind, of their time. Dad's Army remains one of the better ones! FDF I hated, because, like most of the UK sitcoms the cuddly dull middle-class fantasy world meant nothing to me. The working class ones like Steptoe and Till Death us do part had horrible characters at their centre and so that also meant nothing to me. I liked Wendy Craig, though, and The Likely Lads/Liver Birds type shows. None of them were as cool as The Monkees and other US shows though...

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 23rd June 2013, 11:10 AM
Post #32
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

QUOTE(davetaylor @ Jun 22 2013, 11:04 PM) *
Number 100:

THE AVENGERS (1965 Episode)

Emma Peel & John Steed up to their usual adventures:

classic stuff, period charm, good scripts, great cast. Probably the best UK 60's adventure show for evermore.

+Quote this post
davetaylor
post 23rd June 2013, 12:56 PM
Post #33
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member

QUOTE(popchartfreak @ Jun 23 2013, 12:07 PM) *
I'm afraid the vast majority of sitcoms from that period were , being kind, of their time. Dad's Army remains one of the better ones! FDF I hated, because, like most of the UK sitcoms the cuddly dull middle-class fantasy world meant nothing to me. The working class ones like Steptoe and Till Death us do part had horrible characters at their centre and so that also meant nothing to me. I liked Wendy Craig, though, and The Likely Lads/Liver Birds type shows. None of them were as cool as The Monkees and other US shows though...

It probably relates to how individuals were brought up. The Likely Lads? Great. The Liver Birds (without the awful Beryl Character) also great. Wendy Craig in "And Mother Makes Three/Five"....Crap.

My fav sitcoms would be Bless This House, FDF, Love Thy Neighbour, No Place Like Home, Sykes, Happy Ever After (better than the tamed down "Terry & June". Also enjoyed "The Upchat Line", Spring & Autumn, For The Love Of Ada, The Rag Trade & many others. But couldn't stand Are You Being Served (it was just a vehicle for John Inman), Dad's Army & any other Perry/Croft sitcom...None were true to life, as they claimed to be. The worst 2 were definately Last Of The Summer Wine & Keeping Up Appearances...like all Roy Clarke's stuff, once you'd seen one episode, you'd see n the lot. Much prefer ITV stuff & was never a fan of David Jason either (aside "A Sharp Intake Of Breath", which he won't allow to be shown). The less said about "Selwyn Froggit" the better. Get Some In was great, compared to the rather silly "Army Game".

US sitcoms are an aquired taste. Quite awful, with remakes of UK stuff, a la Threes Company, Lotsa Luck, Too Close For Comfort, Archie Bunker, Sanford & Son, Reggie & the terrible Threes A Crowd. "The Two Of Us" was ok, as a re-make of "Two's Company" wiith Peter Cook. I won't go into The Brady Bunch, Different Strokes, Welcome Back Kotter & Roseanne. Sickly stuff & no resemblance to anything remotely close to "Great" Britain's far-eyed stuff.

This post has been edited by davetaylor: 23rd June 2013, 02:51 PM

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 23rd June 2013, 08:02 PM
Post #34
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

QUOTE(davetaylor @ Jun 23 2013, 01:56 PM) *
It probably relates to how individuals were brought up. The Likely Lads? Great. The Liver Birds (without the awful Beryl Character) also great. Wendy Craig in "And Mother Makes Three/Five"....Crap.

My fav sitcoms would be Bless This House, FDF, Love Thy Neighbour, No Place Like Home, Sykes, Happy Ever After (better than the tamed down "Terry & June". Also enjoyed "The Upchat Line", Spring & Autumn, For The Love Of Ada, The Rag Trade & many others. But couldn't stand Are You Being Served (it was just a vehicle for John Inman), Dad's Army & any other Perry/Croft sitcom...None were true to life, as they claimed to be. The worst 2 were definately Last Of The Summer Wine & Keeping Up Appearances...like all Roy Clarke's stuff, once you'd seen one episode, you'd see n the lot. Much prefer ITV stuff & was never a fan of David Jason either (aside "A Sharp Intake Of Breath", which he won't allow to be shown). The less said about "Selwyn Froggit" the better. Get Some In was great, compared to the rather silly "Army Game".

US sitcoms are an aquired taste. Quite awful, with remakes of UK stuff, a la Threes Company, Lotsa Luck, Too Close For Comfort, Archie Bunker, Sanford & Son, Reggie & the terrible Threes A Crowd. "The Two Of Us" was ok, as a re-make of "Two's Company" wiith Peter Cook. I won't go into The Brady Bunch, Different Strokes, Welcome Back Kotter & Roseanne. Sickly stuff & no resemblance to anything remotely close to "Great" Britain's far-eyed stuff.

Hi, Upbringing prob does have an effect, you're prob right. Of the ones you mention I liked Sykes, also add in Fawlty Towers, My Wife Next Door, Rising Damp, Not In Front Of The Children, Up Pompeii, The Goodies and a couple of others. The American ones you mention are all awful, yes. Much better were I Love Lucy, Soap, Addams family, Bilko, Monkees, Munsters, I Dream Of Jeannie, Get Smart, Mary Tyler Moore Show, Munsters, MASH, Flintstones, mostly good scriptwriters and actors, mostly fantasy, not to mention lesser shows like Bewitched, My favourite Martian, Rhoda, Phyllis, The Odd Couple, The Partridge Family, F Troop, Chico And The Man, Barney Miller, Bob Newhart Show, Car 54 Where Are You... cool.gif

+Quote this post
davetaylor
post 23rd June 2013, 09:16 PM
Post #35
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member

Number 92:

HELLO DOLLY (1965) 8.00

ITV's take on the latest stage musical

Number 91:

THE MORECAMBE & WISE SHOW (1966 Edition) 8.00

The ATV series of the twosome (not one of my favourites) I though t they were very kiddish & annoying a-kin to something out of a kids show. You thought you were watching an overdone sketch from Crackerjack!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp7R2v-cKNA...B7050CC04572FA3

This post has been edited by davetaylor: 23rd June 2013, 09:19 PM

+Quote this post
davetaylor
post 23rd June 2013, 09:30 PM
Post #36
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member

Number 90:

INTERNATIONAL ICE GALA (1967) 8.00

BBC1 with Annual Ice Skating event

Number 89:

DEATH BY MISADVENTURE (1967) 8.00

From the Anthology series "Playhouse". This was an Associated Rediffusion production shown on Monday 17th July 1967 at 8.30pm, starring Betty Bascomb, David Burke & Lucy Fleming.

+Quote this post
davetaylor
post 23rd June 2013, 09:41 PM
Post #37
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member

Number 88:

PROFESSIONAL BOXING (BBC1 1967) 8.00

Number 87:

CINEMA 1967 8.00

ITV'S equivalent to BBC's "Film" series

+Quote this post
davetaylor
post 23rd June 2013, 09:49 PM
Post #38
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member

Number 86:

THE POWER GAME (1965) 8,00

Originally started out as "The Planemakers" in 1963.

The Plane Makers focused on the power struggles between the trades union and the management on the shop floor of an (fictional) aircraft factory, Scott Furlong Ltd, as well as the political in-fighting amongst the management themselves. Patrick Wymark proved particularly popular as the anti-heroic Managing Director John Wilder, who was almost a proto–J.R. Ewing in that he became a central character that the other characters and viewers "loved to hate". Wilder is "a bully and a boor", who "is forgiven only if he gets results" (Critchley 1969). Wilder's nemesis in the boardroom was David Corbett (Alan Dobie), though he was supported by his long-suffering wife Pamela (Barbara Murray, with Ann Firbank standing in for a few episodes when Murray was unavailable), his Sales Director and confidant Don Henderson (Jack Watling) and ever-reliable secretary Miss Lingard (Norma Ronald). Their task was to manufacture and sell their aircraft, the Sovereign, to an international market.

Lew Grade, head of ATV, reportedly found the series boring because of its factory setting. Believing that the majority of viewers would have had enough of factories after their days' work, he decided the Wilder character should be spun off into a new series.[citation needed] According to another report, it was on Gretorex's advice that the drama "left the factory floor for the executive suite" (Critchley 1969). At the end of the final Plane Makers series in January 1965, Wilder left Scott Furlong after a project for a vertical takeoff aircraft had failed, and took a seat on the board of a merchant bank while also collecting a knighthood (Evans 1995, 413). He returned eleven months later in The Power Game. Bored of being a gentleman of leisure, Wilder uses his influence with the bank on whose board he sits to become Joint Managing Director of an established building firm, Bligh Construction. The first two series of The Power Game in 1965–66 chronicled his attempts to keep control in the face of opposition from the company's elderly founder Caswell Bligh (Clifford Evans), a stern, old-school patriarch who resents what he sees as Wilder's imposition on a family firm, and Bligh's ambitious but inexperienced son Kenneth (Peter Barkworth), who would prefer to be sole managing director, and free of his father's influence. Both Henderson and Miss Lingard were back in harness.

Wilder's private life came more to the fore in The Power Game; he has a long-running affair with a civil servant, Susan Weldon (Rosemary Leach), but is aghast when his wife Pamela also plays the field, with engineering expert Frank Hagadan (George Sewell). Patrick Wymark died suddenly in 1970 and it was decided not to continue with the series without its most notorious and memorable character.

+Quote this post
davetaylor
post 23rd June 2013, 09:59 PM
Post #39
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member

Number 85:

EMERGENCY WARD TEN (1965 Episode) 8.01

A 1965 episode of the Hospital Soap.

Number 84:

VAL PARNELL'S SUNDAY SHOW (1961 Edition) 8.02m

A Summer 1961 show in vain of Sunday Night At The London Palladium. This show was hosted by Tommy Steele.

On one edition, Tommy sing his latest record & last hit:

+Quote this post
davetaylor
post 23rd June 2013, 10:02 PM
Post #40
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member

Number 83:

TAKE YOUR PICK (1963 Edition) 8.02m

Michael Miles hosts the pick the box & "Yes/No" game.

+Quote this post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 25th April 2024, 03:39 AM