BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
> Personal Charts

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> ThePensmith's Top 20 Singles Chart, Week ending 31st May 2019
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
ThePensmith
post May 31 2019, 02:33 PM
Post #1
They've had the very Tunnocks, Mary
Group: Members
Member No.: 13,208
   No Gallery Pics

Good afternoon people, it's Friday, and time once again to bring you my personal top 20 singles. With June almost upon us, Mark Ronson and Lykke Li have now held firm at number one for all of this month with 'Late Night Feelings'. But are they about to enter their second month at the top, or will new entries from Four of Diamonds and a returning Shakespears Sister prove too much of a challenge? Here's your answer...

THEPENSMITH'S TOP 20 SINGLES CHART
Week ending 31st May 2019
© AM LIMITED 2019

1. (1) MARK RONSON FEAT. LYKKE LI - Late Night Feelings
2. (HNE) SHAKESPEARS SISTER - All the Queen's Horses
3. (2) AVICII FEAT. ALOE BLACC - SOS
4. (NE) FOUR OF DIAMONDS - Walk Away
5. (3) KYGO FEAT. RITA ORA - Carry On
6. (4) SHAWN MENDES - If I Can't Have You
7. (5) THE VERONICAS - Think Of Me
8. (6) PAIGE CAVELL - Predators and Monsters
9. (7) OLLY MURS - Feel The Same
10. (8) JONAS BROTHERS - Sucker

11. (9) P!NK FEAT. KHALID - Hurts 2B Human
12. (NE) WILL YOUNG - My Love
13. (10) KYLIE MINOGUE - New York City
14. (11) JONAS BLUE FEAT. THERESA REX - What I Like About You
15. (12) UNPERFECT - Looking for a Hug
16. (14) ELLIE GOULDING - Sixteen
17. (15) BASTILLE - Joy
18. (NE) NADINE COYLE - Fool for Love
19. (17) MABEL - Don't Call Me Up
20. (20) RAK-SU - Yours or Mine

Compiled from my own personal listening in the last seven days across streaming, digital and physical formats.

KEY

(1) - last week's position
(HNE) - highest new entry
(NE) - new entry
(RE) - re-entry

CHART COMMENTARY

As a wise person once said, the more things seem to change, the more they stay the same. Or to put it another way, the number one single on my personal chart is once again Mark Ronson and Lykke Li with 'Late Night Feelings', now entering its second month at the top of my chart and fifth week in all. I've almost run out of things to say about this single now, but for the fact it's the first number one since George Ezra's 'Hold My Girl' in November last year to hold the summit for more than a month.

Now for the changing part, as the #2 single this week is not Avicii and Aloe Blacc, who fall a place to #3 this week after five weeks in the runners up slot. Instead, we welcome this week's highest new entry from a band who it'd long been suspected were a name of the past. Combining ex-Bananarama member Siobhan Fahey and vocalist Marcella Detroit, Shakespears Sister were one of the big names in UK pop in the late 80s and early 90s, notching up a string of hits including their own mammoth long running worldwide chart topper in 1992's 'Stay'.

They imploded in acrimony around 1996, with Siobhan carrying on the Shakespears Sister name as a solo entity to lesser fanfare as recently as 2009. Now however, just two years after Fahey buried the hatchet for a reunion tour with Bananarama, the same has happened for her and Marcella, who are set to release a new greatest hits package 'The Singles Party' in July. 'All the Queen's Horses' is one of two new tracks on there and is quite simply a spine tinglingly good record, fully deserving of its impressive debut here this week.

Just two weeks shy of a year since their debut, Four of Diamonds notch up their fourth consecutive top 10 hit this week. 'Walk Away' follows 'Name On It', 'Stupid Things' and 'Blind' by entering at #4 this week. The girls are currently supporting Rita Ora on her UK tour - who incidentally falls two places to #5 with Kygo on his 'Carry On'.

Will Young's last single 'All The Songs' returned him to a top 5 berth back in March, but was out of my top 40 within three weeks. 'My Love', the second single from his new album 'Lexicon' - out two weeks today - falls two places short of the top 10 by debuting at #12 this week. If nothing else, it gives him back to back top 20 hits for the first time since 2012, but you rather suspect his new album will struggle going on the evidence so far.

With another new single from her former Girls Aloud bandmate Cheryl out today, Nadine Coyle returns to my top 20 for the fourth time as a solo artist this week, with 'Fool for Love' entering at #18. It means she now overtakes her former flame haired colleague Nicola Roberts for the second largest amount of solo hits from the girl group legends - until today they had previously been tied on three apiece. Coyle's biggest single to date is still her debut, 'Insatiable', which hit #2 in November 2010. The others: 'Go To Work' (#14, September 2017) and 'Girls on Fire' (#12, February 2018).

FLASHBACK TOP 10
Your chance to see how my personal top 10 was looking on this week in the last 20 years. This week in 2004: Kelis scores her second number one of the year, plus classic hits from Keane, Christina Milian, The 411 and The Killers

1. (HNE) KELIS - Trick Me

2. (1) KEANE - Everybody's Changing
3. (2) CHRISTINA MILIAN - Dip It Low
4. (4) THE 411 FEAT. GHOSTFACE KILLAH - On My Knees
5. (NE) THE KILLERS - Mr Brightside
6. (NE) KRISTIAN LEONTIOU - Story of My Life
7. (NE) V - Blood Sweat and Tears
8. (6) THE CORRS - Summer Sunshine
9. (7) MAROON 5 - This Love
10. (8) THE RASMUS - In The Shadows
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Sven10
post Jun 2 2019, 07:43 AM
Post #2
BuzzJack Gold Member
Member No.: 22,108
   No Gallery Pics

Hi Alex,

Mark Ronson/Lykke Li still no 1 cheer.gif

Love all 4 new entries: (Wow) Shakespears Sisters is great wub.gif !!

+Quote Post
Sergej
post Jun 2 2019, 10:04 AM
Post #3
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 39,723
   No Gallery Pics

Hello Alex!
Nice to see "Late Night Feelings" still at #1!
I also need to hear all your debuts still.
Great chart as always!

+Quote Post
ThePensmith
post Jun 6 2019, 06:07 PM
Post #4
They've had the very Tunnocks, Mary
Member No.: 13,208
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(sergejdordij98 @ Jun 2 2019, 11:04 AM) *
Hello Alex!
Nice to see "Late Night Feelings" still at #1!
I also need to hear all your debuts still.
Great chart as always!

Cheers Sergej! 'Late Night Feelings' is definitely my song of this summer, pleased to see it finally getting a foothold on the official UK chart as well.

QUOTE(Sven10 @ Jun 2 2019, 08:43 AM) *
Hi Alex,

Mark Ronson/Lykke Li still no 1 cheer.gif

Love all 4 new entries: (Wow) Shakespears Sisters is great wub.gif !!

Thanks Sven! Oh isn't it just? I'm only just properly investigating Shakespears Sister through my becoming a new fan of Bananarama so I can't wait for the best of in July.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 11:17 AM