BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Classic Album#7: Underworld - Dubnobasswithmyheadman, Thunder, thunder, Lightning ahead...
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
ϑЃεβϘ
post Dec 14 2014, 12:28 PM
Post #1
Group icon
I Was Born Free
User: 1,751

Underworld - dubnobasswithmyheadman playlist

20 years old this year, an absolutely incredible record that is easily the rival of ANY debut album. (MK2 of Underworld that is, might as well be a completely different group from MKI)

Influenced by the same aesthetic that informed Screamadelica where anything and everything (everything!) was ripe for plundering and warping into something new.
This is one of the forerunners of the Big Beat explosion that rivalled Brit Pop at the time for popularity and exposure.

An incredibly evocative album, Dark and Long still takes me on journies every single time I listen to it.

Do you have a favourite track off this superb album? Any memories? Do you think it's an unmitigated pile of rubbish?(!)

Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Colm
post Dec 16 2014, 08:25 AM
Post #2
Group icon
Yes, it's me.
User: 9,885
I have tried to listen to this album several times but I was bored. I will try again.

+Quote this post
richie
post Dec 16 2014, 08:56 AM
Post #3
Group icon
Poet and Storyteller
User: 166
QUOTE(AntoineTTe @ Dec 16 2014, 08:25 AM) *
I have tried to listen to this album several times but I was bored. I will try again.

Yeah, I was 17 when it came out but wasn't hugely into dance at the time. I'd been a massive fan of the rave scene two years earlier, but didn't get back into dance until the early big beat scene (Chemical Brothers, Skint, Wall of Sound, VERY EARLY Fatboy Slim) a couple of years after. As a result, I did listen to this at the time but was never overwhelmed.

It's one I keep meaning to relisten to again to reevaluate. Might stick it on Spotify later.

This post has been edited by richie: Dec 16 2014, 08:56 AM

+Quote this post
Colm
post Dec 16 2014, 11:37 AM
Post #4
Group icon
Yes, it's me.
User: 9,885
I never really got Underworld.

+Quote this post
m
post Dec 16 2014, 03:36 PM
Post #5
Group icon
I asked for my account to be banned
User: 7,132
It's alright. I prefer Second Toughest in the Infants. These are the only two I've heard.

+Quote this post
ϑЃεβϘ
post Dec 16 2014, 09:06 PM
Post #6
Group icon
I Was Born Free
User: 1,751
I had never been a huge dance fan (no surprises there!) but I had liked some acid House stuff. Then I really started to get into stuff like The first Chem Bros album, Spooky and Fluke.

But this was a perfect amalgamation of dance and indie with a large dash of Krautrock in places (which I was just starting to listen to.)
I can't listen to Second Toughest at all. That I do find tedious.

But what do I know, I didn't like the Prodigy til I heard some of The Jilted Generation and I only listened to that because PWEI were on it.

+Quote this post
richie
post Dec 17 2014, 09:03 AM
Post #7
Group icon
Poet and Storyteller
QUOTE(ϑЃεβϘ @ Dec 16 2014, 09:06 PM) *
But what do I know, I didn't like the Prodigy til I heard some of The Jilted Generation and I only listened to that because PWEI were on it.

Experience was and is a pretty cheesy rave album, but it was perfect for 15 year old me! Took me about a year to get into Jilted - it started to make sense when I saw them live in 1995.

+Quote this post
richie
post Dec 17 2014, 01:20 PM
Post #8
Group icon
Poet and Storyteller
By the way, keep these coming Grebo! It's nice to have something I like in the indie / alternative section!

Just don't get the current "indie" scene - CHVRCHES and the like...

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 05:00 AM