BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Lizzy McAlpine - Older, new album out 5/4/2024
Track this thread | Email this thread | Print this thread | Download this thread | Subscribe to this forum
Bjork
post 13th February 2024, 07:53 PM
Post #1
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 22,665

Lizzy "Ceilings" McAlpine with a new album called Older, out April 5

title track out today
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Dircadirca
post 21st February 2024, 12:34 PM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 19,614

I gotta say I was worried when I saw the list of co-writers and producers on this album, and saw Philip Etherington wasn't on it. He produced nearly every song on her first two albums and it felt like a dream team. In fact what made me pay attention 2 years ago was the bridge in "reckless driving", which was his idea. Willing to accept that this isn't gonna sound like "five seconds flat" (might be my favourite album this decade, not sure, but also haven't listened to much), but this is really good. Glad she's not doing the major label pivot to cashing in on blatant For You page bait. Very curious what the rest of the album is gonna sound like outside of the vague descriptor from ages ago that it's 'sad' lol.

+Quote this post
Bjork
post 13th March 2024, 07:39 PM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

new track I guess
absolutely a gem <3

+Quote this post
Dircadirca
post 8th April 2024, 10:46 AM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

Whole album's been out for a few days now and I'm pretty content. Just generally a very cozy listen with all the arrangements, but letting the songs float in your head as contemplative puzzle pieces. As I've gotten older I've gotten a little more sceptical of the cliche that is teens & young adults writing about a breakup as if it's this shock end-of-the-world it-would-never-happen-to-me kind of moment (I feel like literally everyone I know in my life who's ever had a partner has had more than one by now). I think here it maybe pays that a lot of it comes with years of reflection and self-awareness. The generally sombre tone of it gives off a vibe of 'well, that was a chapter in my life' sprinkled in with the occasional build-up of 'okay but I'm right to be annoyed by that'. Maybe that's wrong too but that's how I look back at a lot of things myself laugh.gif I love hearing her perspective though because she always comes across as very honest about these things, even in instances where it'll rub people the wrong way. I say this as someone who did initially latch onto the more pop-oriented moments on "five seconds flat" ("erase me", "reckless driving", "doomsday" and "ceilings" are all incredible still), but I do think she has a certain vision to stand out as a songwriter. Hope to see that she can find a space & level of fame to be comfortable in and continue to hone the craft from here.

(Oh and just to highlight stuff beyond the singles, "Staying" and "Broken Glass" both find their way into brilliance that just hits the spot for me. My very Australian reference points here are much of Sarah Blasko's discography and also "Colour The Small One" by [redacted]).

+Quote this post
Bjork
post 8th April 2024, 10:49 AM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

it's a pity they didn't synchronize vinyls with the album release, vinyls are out on June 14 ohmy.gif

+Quote this post
Dircadirca
post 8th April 2024, 10:59 AM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

Yeah, I was really interested to see how this would chart coming off of 2 years of fanbase growth but that's gonna stunt it big time. Apparently the album was still being mixed a couple of weeks ago so there just wasn't any time to press it.

+Quote this post
Bjork
post 8th April 2024, 11:04 AM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

yes but I don't understand the rush, why the rush to release it on April with no time to even make physicals
makes no sense, wait 2 months for the full synchronized release

+Quote this post
WhoOdyssey
post 8th April 2024, 11:08 AM
Post #8
Group icon
A dead mouse (from my cat)
User: 67,771

She's touring from the end of April onwards, they'll want it out before then. It's only the chart position being compromised though, which most people will never pay attention to.

+Quote this post
Bjork
post 8th April 2024, 01:23 PM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

of course but it's labels that care about chart positions not people

+Quote this post
WhoOdyssey
post 8th April 2024, 01:27 PM
Post #10
Group icon
A dead mouse (from my cat)
User: 67,771

QUOTE(Bjork @ Apr 8 2024, 02:23 PM) *
of course but it's labels that care about chart positions not people

Not enough for them to have a combined release date though!

+Quote this post
Bjork
post 16th April 2024, 01:37 PM
Post #11
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

She didn't chart in the UK :/

+Quote this post
Dircadirca
post 21st April 2024, 08:19 AM
Post #12
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

Must have been pretty close since she was #100 on the mid-weeks and the eventual chart generally flatters streaming-only releases to an extent. Was surprised she made the top 100 in Australia (not far behind The Black Keys & Vampire Weekend who both had CDs/Vinyl), which might have been buffed by the tour announcement on the same week, but hey, second biggest market behind Ireland. Perth show one day I hope unsure.gif

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 29th April 2024, 05:48 PM