BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Artist News
3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> 30 Years of #1s | Countdown
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Liam.k.
post 12th July 2015, 05:59 PM
Post #21
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 12,472

QUOTE(slowdown73 @ Jul 11 2015, 06:25 PM) *
True Blue only no10? That's a surprise.

I'm quite surprised it made the Top 10 tbh!
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 12th July 2015, 06:00 PM
Post #22
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

09 // Music // 181.5 Points

Highest Points: 10 (Ultraviolence1989, andreweeyor, Liаm, Acidburn), 9 (Euphorique, Griff, HausofKübrick, Insomnio)
Lowest Points: 5 (Gezza, Simon.), 6 (Rush)

Weeks at #1: 1 week
Blocked: 'Groovejet (If This Ain't Love)' (Spiller ft. Sophie Ellis Bextor)

Commentary
As we step further into the Top 10, the countdown heats up as 'Music' becomes the first song not to receive any particularly horrific scores. It almost missed the #1 spot as it was a mere 1k ahead of its competitor, Spiller/Sophie, who were #1 the previous week, but thankfully it managed it. Its pitch shifting intro leads into a euphoric inclusiveness themed track - an invitation to dance in both its lyrics and the addictive-ness of its throbbing bass and spiky melody, which culminates in a crazy mix of sound and warped vocals.

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 17th July 2015, 02:19 PM
Post #23
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

08 // Sorry // 196.5 Points

Highest Points: 10 (Mr Aly, Griff, liamk97, Regina, Simon., popchartfreak), 9 (Johnkm, MIKEMYER, Andrew Froot, Liam, HausofKübrick, Acidburn)
Lowest Points: 6 (Euphorique, Aphrodite), 7 (Ultraviolence1989, Gezza)

Blocked: 'Put Your Records On' (Corinne Bailey Rae)

Commentary
Far too low for my liking, but with a shed load of 10s and 9s, it's clear 'Sorry' is still a big favourite. The song commences with Madonna apologising in French, Spanish, Dutch and Italian whilst synths and a beating bassline progresses into a complete disco blowout. It's the ultimate "shut the fuck up" to presumably a cheating/lying lover; quite the shift from the inclusive, celebratory themes of Madonna's previous dance classics, but 'Sorry' nevertheless retains the ability to make you wanna boogie. My favourite part is from 3:15-3:45 where the song's title and hook kind of battle it out, overlapping each other and fighting to be the most heard. Critics likened 'Sorry' to the Pet Shop Boys, which the duo must have agreed on as they later remixed the track with Whitney's 'I Wanna Dance With Somebody' and lead singer Neil Tennant's additional vocals.

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post 17th July 2015, 02:59 PM
Post #24
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51

'Sorry' deserves higher!

+Quote this post
Griff
post 17th July 2015, 07:30 PM
Post #25

I think Sorry is really underrated - I love the anxiety that is invoked by Stuart Price's production.

+Quote this post
Griff
post 17th July 2015, 07:34 PM
Post #26

Although I can't exactly say the same for THAT VIDEO

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 19th July 2015, 04:33 PM
Post #27
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

Why no likey the video? ohmy.gif I love it; I like how it follows on from 'Hung Up, the retro disco/rollerblades scenes, her image, the cage dance-off.

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 19th July 2015, 06:42 PM
Post #28
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

07 // Into the Groove // 205.5 Points

Highest Points: 11 (vibe, Gezza), 10 (Ultraviolence1989, MIKEMYER, Andrew Froot, Liam, Griff, Acidburn, Insomnio)
Lowest Points: 7 (Regina, Rush), 7.5 (Nick F1)

Weeks at #1: 4 weeks
Blocked: 'There Must Be An Angel (Playing With My Heart)' (Eurythmics), 'Holiday' (Madonna), 'I Got You Babe' (UB40 ft. Chrissie Hynde)

Commentary
So Madonna's first #1 - the song that entered the UK charts 30 years ago on the 21st and that famously blocked the 'Holiday' re-release from topping the chart - is placed at #7 in this countdown. If you thought held-back releases were a recent idea, think again: 'Into the Groove' featured in the film Desperately Seeking Susan which had been released in March 1985 and was part of the set list to The Virgin Tour from April to June but wasn't released until July. It's no surprise that it became, with the help of the Live Aid performance, her first single to enter straight in the Top 10 and hit #1 for four weeks. 'Into the Groove' is one of Madonna's biggest invitations to dance and be lost in the music although, as with many Madonna tracks, carries a lot innuendo at the same time.

+Quote this post
vibe
post 19th July 2015, 06:52 PM
Post #29
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 11,763

How is this not top 3 !!!!!!

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 21st July 2015, 06:27 PM
Post #30
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

06 // Hung Up // 207.5 Points

Highest Points: 11 (Johnkm, liamk97, Rush), 10 (Ultraviolence1989, MIKEMYER, Liam, Gezza, Griff, HausofKübrick, Acidburn, Insomnio, Simon., popchartfreak, Aphrodite)
Lowest Points: 4 (Josh.), 4.5 (Nick F1)

Weeks at #1: 3 weeks
Blocked: 'You Raise Me Up' (Westlife)

Commentary
I don't think I'm comfortable with this being so low. From its release, this has been my #1 Madonna fave. It begins with its hook, taken, surprisingly, from one of Madonna's worst - 'Love Song' - which repeats as ABBA's 'Gimme! Gimme! Gimme!' melody creeps in from a muffled beat to a blasting disco explosion that just epitomises everything joyous and positive in the world. If you need energy, this song will give it to you - so much so that you'll appreciate the gradual dip in the song's pace, but then almost immediately be eager for the music to edge its way back in for the finale which is somehow the biggest part of the song. Easily and deservingly Madonna's biggest hit of the 21st century.

+Quote this post
Regina
post 21st July 2015, 06:30 PM
Post #31
Group icon
Raining Shitter
User: 5,572

Justice is served.

+Quote this post
vibe
post 21st July 2015, 06:55 PM
Post #32
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 11,763

I completely love hung up but it was so over played I ended up preferring the over singles from the album.

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 22nd July 2015, 02:17 PM
Post #33
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

I suppose I was at an age where I wasn't aware of it being overplayed so I've never been able to tire of it really. At one point I preferred 'Sorry' but I think 'Hung Up' edges that still.

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 30th July 2015, 06:28 PM
Post #34
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

05 // Papa Don't Preach // 208 Points

Highest Points: 10 (Ultraviolence1989, Johnkm, MIKEMYER, Josh., Liam, Gezza, HausofKübrick, Acidburn, liamk97, Rush, popchartfreak), 9 (vibe, Andrew Froot, mr aly, dandystar, slowdown73, Simon)
Lowest Points: 5 (Griff), 7 (Euphorique, Aphrodite)

Weeks at #1: 3 weeks
Blocked: 'The Edge of Heaven' (Wham!), 'Every Beat of My Heart' (Rod Stewart), 'The Lady in Red' (Chris De Burgh)

Commentary
To me, this song marked a shift in Madonna's music. Her voice seems more controlled, in terms of she knows when it's right to do the high notes, the low notes and the raw, strained vocals. The music feels more well-rounded; it's an absolutely solid pop song. It's the first sign that Madonna had a long career ahead of her. I love its lyrics: it's widely recognised that it deals with teenage pregnancy and abortion, but I think it also applies to her relationship with Sean Penn. The best out of the True Blue singles, although the releases from it are possibly the most perfect choices out of Madonna's career.

04 // Vogue // 210.5 Points

Highest Points: 10 (Johnkm, vibe, Andrew Froot, Liam, mr aly, Gezza, HausofKübrick, dandystar, Acidburn, liamk97, slowdown73, Insomnio, popchartfreak, Aphrodite), 9 (Ultraviolence1989, MIKEMYER, Regina)
Lowest Points: 6 (Simon.), 7 (Euphorique, Griff)

Weeks at #1: 4 weeks
Blocked: 'The Power' (Snap!), 'Black Velvet' (Alannah Myles), 'Opposites Attract' (Paula Abdul)

Commentary
Wow, this is a shock. One of Madonna's biggest cultural-impacting songs: it brought voguing into the mainstream, it brought house music into the mainstream and "strike a pose" is a phrase I still commonly hear. The sounds are insanely catchy and somehow timeless despite being 90s-defining for dance music and the Hollywood star rap is something that every Madonna fan has practiced and perfected, right? Not to mention how the video proves what a visual representation of a song they can be.

03 // La Isla Bonita // 214 Points

Highest Points: 11 (Euphorique, MIKEMYER, Simon.), 10 (Ultraviolence1989, Johnkm, Josh., vibe, Andrew Froot, Liam, Acidburn, Insomnio, popchartfreak)
Lowest Points: 6 (Griff), 7 (mr aly)

Weeks at #1: 2 weeks
Blocked: 'Can't Be With You Tonight' (Judy Boucher)

Commentary
Talking the place of Bronze is Madonna's Hispanic, tropical anthem 'La Isla Bonita'. You can't help but be transported to a happy, peaceful state of mind when it plays and it's easy to see why Madonna has used the Latin influence in songs since, although never with as much luck as with this.

+Quote this post
Regina
post 30th July 2015, 06:36 PM
Post #35
Group icon
Raining Shitter
User: 5,572

Who even let Griff do this? He ruins everything.

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post 30th July 2015, 07:02 PM
Post #36
Group icon
Break the tension

I definitely wouldn't place 'La Isla Bonita' that high.

'Papa Don't Preach' is a stormer, really powerful.

'Vogue' is such a timeless classic, it just has all the right elements and always hits the spot. That 90s house piano in the chorus just makes it. wub.gif

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 1st September 2015, 05:24 PM
Post #37
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

Would be a good idea to finish this countdown before moving onto another. kink.gif

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 1st September 2015, 06:51 PM
Post #38
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

02 // Like a Prayer // 221 Points

Highest Points: 11 (Ultraviolence1989, Liаm, dandystar, Acidburn, popchartfreak, Aphrodite) 10 (J▼hnkm, MIKEMYER, Gezza, Griff, HausEveryWeekend, liamk97, Regina, Insomnio, Simon.)
Lowest Points: 7 (Andrew §, Rush), 8 (Euphorique, vibe)

Weeks at #1: 3 week
Blocked: 'Too Many Broken Hearts' (Jason Donovan)

Commentary
It may come to a bit of a surprise that 'Like a Prayer' was not voted as Buzzjack's favourite Madonna #1. It's considered her biggest and best by many, whether they be keen fans or people who have no other interest in her music. For anyone who hears this for the first time, they may be tricked into thinking this was a rock track going by the first few seconds, before the sound of a door slamming allows the hum of a choir and organ to give a different atmosphere - symbolising Madonna marking an end to the party themes of her previous music and swapping it with something more introspective? Such a monster of a track, guaranteed to make you want to clap and sing along as proudly as you can.

01 // Frozen // 225 Points

Highest Points: 11 (Nick F1, mr_pmt, Griff, HausEveryWeekend, slowdown73, Insomnio) 10 (Ultraviolence1989, Euphorique, MIKEMYER, Josh., Andrew §, Liam, Gezza, Acidburn, popchartfreak)
Lowest Points: 8 (vibe, Regina, Aphrodite), 9 (J▼hnkm, dandystar, liamk97, Rush, Simon.)

Blocked: 'My Heart Will Go On' (Celine Dion)

Commentary
An unexpected but worth winner here, with its high lowest points meaning everyone's scores are listed here! After finding herself regain critical acclaim following her performance in Evita, Madonna returned triumphantly with the haunting 'Frozen', which had the biggest debut of Madonna's singles career in the UK with its first week sales just shy of 200k. It marked the start of many successful collaboration's with William Orbit, whose bleeps and strings and whirs set a chilling and mysterious mood that was matched by Madonna's delicate vocals and hums.

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post 2nd September 2015, 02:14 PM
Post #39
Group icon
Break the tension

That's my favourite Madonna #1, so glad to see it win. biggrin.gif

+Quote this post
slowdown73
post 3rd September 2015, 11:55 AM
Post #40
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 1,031

One of my favourite Madge songs has come first anyway!! Classic song.

+Quote this post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 25th April 2024, 07:47 PM