BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Why did Chained To The Rhythm underperform?
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
inactiveaccount
post Jan 15 2018, 05:23 PM
Post #21
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 1,030
Never mix politics and pop. Simple.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post Jan 15 2018, 05:36 PM
Post #22
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed
User: 18,639
Wonder what she will release next? I bet she stays WELL away from boring production, politics and being 'woke'. It just came across as ARTPOP II.

+Quote this post
J00prstar
post Jan 17 2018, 06:58 AM
Post #23
Group icon
there's nothing straight about plump Elvis
Pronouns: they/any
User: 22,895
If she hadn't gone blonde it would've been bigger. Honestly, I feel that.

Also releasing at the same time as Ed harmed her impact from having a long-running top 5 or top 3 that at least would have had a lot of visibility and thus replay.

+Quote this post
Sour Candy
post Jan 17 2018, 02:19 PM
Post #24
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 10,275
Now to think about it, Rise was the worst thing that has happened to Katy's career. Witness the album is the second worst.

CTTR did ok, BA is a good single but everything from BA video onwards was a giant misstep. Especially the Witness therapy session or whatever that was on Youtube.

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post Jan 17 2018, 03:20 PM
Post #25
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed
I'm not sure what was WORSE - this or ARTFLOP

+Quote this post
Theonix
post Jan 17 2018, 06:33 PM
Post #26
Group icon
BUY Phoenix on Amazon / STREAM Phoenix on Spotify
User: 8,661
The Official Charts have posted an interesting article with quotes from the boss of Capitol Records about the 'Witness' era:

Katy Perry's label boss says she's planning a comeback after a disappointing response to her latest album Witness

Capitol Records boss Steve Barnett says "tough conversations" have taken place.

Katy Perry's label boss Steve Barnett has opened up about the disappointing reception of the singer's latest album Witness, revealing she has a comeback plan.

Katy released her fourth major label album in June last year, where it peaked at Number 6 on the Official Albums Chart. The star's previous two efforts, 2013's Prism and 2010's Teenage Dream, both reached Number 1, with the latter selling over one million copies in the UK alone, according to Official Charts Company data.

While Witness is reported to have sold almost 850,000 worldwide, the record hasn't held up in charts as well as her previous efforts. The album spawned the Top 5 single Chained To The Rhythm, but follow-ups Bon Appetit and Swish Swish failed to have the same impact.

"It's an interesting story," said Steve, who is CEO and Chairman of Capitol Records, of Witness's reception to Variety. "I love her and have forged a great relationship with her.

"I talk about how engagement is so important and I don't believe you can have big cycles between projects [as Katy did]. I think that’s changed. And so you sit down and have tough conversations with her and management."

"As successful as you’ve been, you learn," Barnett continued. "Personally I’ve learned more from our mistakes than our successes and I believe our artists are in the same category as that. But she has a plan, and we have a plan, and I feel good about it."

Katy is currently on the North American leg of her Witness world tour, which reaches the UK in June. She will also make her debut as a judge on American Idol when it premieres on March 11.

The gap between albums was obviously a factor but it didn't harm P!nk at all who was in a very similar position to Katy with her last album ('The Truth About Love') being released over four years ago and both had medium success with promo singles in 2016 ("Just Like Fire" to Katy's "Rise"). The messages of both of their 2017 comeback singles were fairly political so it's not like you can completely blame "Chained to the Rhythm"'s underperformance on that.

I definitely was put off by a lot of Katy's social media presence during the release of "Chained" but as a song, I still adore it and the video isn't bad at all. "Bon Appétit" was a misstep, both musically and visually, and I think they tried too much to push that when "Swish" originally premiered which could've been bigger with a better video. "Hey Hey Hey" is just a mess, although I like the song, it was never going to save the era. Obviously she has the huge tour still going on which I hope for her own sake has sold out because she's flogging it until the end of August. I think a new single from a new album before the end of the tour would be the best strategy, then she can start a proper promotional schedule for it once the tour comes to an end.

+Quote this post
post Jan 17 2018, 07:57 PM
Post #27
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 19,931
Honestly I think Rise did a lot of damage. It flew to #1 around the world on iTunes with massive hype, but was such a bad song that it fell dramatically. When Katy came back with a much better track a few months later hype wasn’t anywhere as near what it should have been. If she’d not released Rise, Chained would have done much better than it did.

+Quote this post
Cameron
post Jan 17 2018, 08:41 PM
Post #28
Group icon
THE BLAZE *.*
User: 18,061
I still think Katy's label should be sacked after releasing an album with awful production...

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post Jan 17 2018, 08:46 PM
Post #29
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed
THIS

And rhen allowing her to put cringe lyeics ovee trash tuneless backing beats

+Quote this post
Andrew.
post Jan 17 2018, 09:11 PM
Post #30
Group icon
is in hibernation
User: 21,161
Tbh she’s still a big name, and can still be big. The thing that cremated the era imo was the album release...it felt like it was just chucked out.

+Quote this post
post Jan 17 2018, 09:18 PM
Post #31
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 19,931
QUOTE(Cameron @ Jan 17 2018, 08:41 PM) *
I still think Katy's label should be sacked after releasing an album with awful production...

The production is the main thing that’s good about it for me. It’s the lyrics and melodies that are largely shit.

+Quote this post
Sour Candy
post Jan 20 2018, 05:49 PM
Post #32
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Every pop star ages and I don't mean her ACTUAL age, I mean her attitude, style and music. Let's take a look:

-Has her lyrics evolved? No
-Has her singing evolved? No
-Has her style evolved? Yes but for worse
-Does she still try to sell the same imaginary of funny Katy? Definitely YES

She can still be very successful: Imagine Calvin Harris giving her Feels type of bops or Mark Ronson producing groovy beats for her. She can also come with big ballad like Praying or a mid tempo pop rock single like Malibu (which was a decent success for Miley and a GREAT SONG). She just needs to EVOLVE and start being a proper pop star, the "Look at me how funny I am" times are definitely over for her. She tries it live, but her videos have been awful recently and those are the ones people will take a look at when they go to Youtube and type Katy Perry.

This post has been edited by SKOB: Jan 20 2018, 05:55 PM

+Quote this post
blacksquare
post Jan 20 2018, 06:46 PM
Post #33
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 23,471
She could continue making goofy videos forever as long as the songs are bops. Only us on forums or Twitter really care about growth like that.

+Quote this post
blacksquare
post Jan 20 2018, 06:48 PM
Post #34
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 23,471
She's one big new song away from things being fine. The material from Witness was just off.

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post Jan 20 2018, 06:50 PM
Post #35
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed
QUOTE(blacksquare @ Jan 20 2018, 06:46 PM) *
She could continue making goofy videos forever as long as the songs are bops. Only us on forums or Twitter really care about growth like that.

Basically this.

People usually listen, rather than watch videos anyway - they're not that important these days really. The last big music video event was Telephone, or maybe Born This Way ... which then killed the event.

Witness is atrocious musically.

+Quote this post
Sour Candy
post Jan 20 2018, 07:11 PM
Post #36
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Her audience is limited to Youtube though, for example Swish Swish has over 3-times the views of Million Reasons, yet Witness has sold way less than Joanne and its Spotify listen numbers are way worse even if we consider that it came out 7 months later.

The Katy Perry as we used to know doesn't SELL any more, she needs to re-brand herself or she'll fade into obscurity in a couple of years.

This post has been edited by SKOB: Jan 20 2018, 07:13 PM

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post Jan 20 2018, 11:06 PM
Post #37
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51
I do think she has the potential to get a hit again next time, it's not impossible but she's really got her work cut out and she's been left in a less than desirable position now.

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post Jan 20 2018, 11:17 PM
Post #38
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed
QUOTE(SKOB @ Jan 20 2018, 07:11 PM) *
Her audience is limited to Youtube though, for example Swish Swish has over 3-times the views of Million Reasons, yet Witness has sold way less than Joanne and its Spotify listen numbers are way worse even if we consider that it came out 7 months later.

The Katy Perry as we used to know doesn't SELL any more, she needs to re-brand herself or she'll fade into obscurity in a couple of years.

But it wasn't the Katy Perry we know this era, musically or stylistically or even personality-wise!

The ONE time she showed her colourful style was on a performance in France, and after that Bon Appetit went top10!

The music was just horrendous.

+Quote this post
Tyler
post Jan 24 2018, 05:05 PM
Post #39
Group icon
If people hate you, don’t hate them.
User: 67
She politicized herself and she wasn’t sincere in all avenues.

+Quote this post
Addy!
post Feb 1 2018, 02:38 PM
Post #40
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 2,666
She made fun of Britney mental health and it backfired tongue.gif /joking.

+Quote this post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 01:51 AM