BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Brits Critics Choice: who will be bigger in the long run?, Jorja vs. Mabel vs. Steff
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Brits Critics Choice 2018
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total votes: 22
Guests cannot vote 
Botchia
post 12th February 2018, 09:43 PM
Post #1
Group icon
I Drink Wine
User: 21,753

This year's Critics Choice Award at the Brits were all hugely talented upcoming urban artists (and females for that matter). Perhaps a reflection of the fact that urban music is dominating the mainstream in a way it hasn't for quite some time!

Of course, Jorja Smith was the winner with Mabel and Stefflon Don also nominated in the category. However, she wasn't the obvious choice as she's been the least successful so far commercially. Stefflon Don has managed a top 10 hit, her big feature on "Instruction" and a couple of underground hits, while Mabel has been the most commercially successful with "Finders Keepers", "My Lover" and now "Fine Line" all being pretty huge. Jorja's biggest hit to date is "Let Me Down" (which has just been released) and her feature on Drake's "Get It Together".

So whilst Mabel appears to be the most successful for the moment, who do you think will have the longest running career?
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Dobbo
post 12th February 2018, 09:47 PM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 20,053

I'd say Jorja Smith.

+Quote this post
Botchia
post 12th February 2018, 09:48 PM
Post #3
Group icon
I Drink Wine
User: 21,753

I feel like Jorja is the type of artist that will either have huge albums and no hit singles or break out in an Adele / Ed Sheeran type way eventually. Atm, I'm leaning towards huge album seller with relatively few hit singles. I think she could potentially rack up some impressive features too, given she managed to bag a feature on Drake's album so early in her career and now a spot on the Black Panther album. So probably her for me!

Mabel is going to be consistent with some single success but I can't see her having much success with an album. The question is whether she can work long term as well. Most of her second is very current and I'd like to see her move with the trends because she certainly has a lot of commercial potential!

I have a feeling Stefflon Don could flop but equally feel like she could remain relevant in a British Nicki type way by racking up loads of features with some solid solo tracks. So we will have to see!

+Quote this post
lotita
post 12th February 2018, 10:25 PM
Post #4
Group icon
feminist icon
Pronouns: she/her
User: 21,777

I feel like it’ll be Jorja for similar reason to Above! I feel like Stefflon will fade out Iggy style sad.gif

+Quote this post
Brer
post 12th February 2018, 10:52 PM
Post #5
Group icon
is my brain across your walls?
User: 8,300

It feels like Stefflon Don is already over after 'Ding A Ling' tbh (I imagine she can probably make a comeback but that song was a serious misstep for her).

Originally wasn't really sure if Mabel would be much more than a one hit wonder but the Not3s collabs show more potential for a long lasting career, I think I'd go with her. Jorja still not getting a major hit single yet despite the hype and the big collaborations doesn't bode well for her sadly, she might be more of an album seller than the other 2 maybe but I'm not sure any of them will really shift albums.

+Quote this post
J00prstar
post 12th February 2018, 11:10 PM
Post #6
Group icon
there's nothing straight about plump Elvis
Pronouns: they/any
User: 22,895

I voted Mabel as she has industry links through her mom and her dad and is still very young. Jorja Smith though also has good links and will have the power of winning this behind her, if she gets the right feature on a hit song like what Read All About It and Beneath Your Beautiful did for Emeli Sande. Stefflon Don I feel is already on thin ice and also will struggle if beauty standards change away from her body type.

This post has been edited by Jüpiter: 12th February 2018, 11:11 PM

+Quote this post
Dexton
post 13th February 2018, 12:55 AM
Post #7
Group icon
rip in peace Dickston
User: 25,045

Jorja could be about to get a hit on Khalid’s Location remix and I feel like she will have better commercial longevity, even if she never manages a particularly big hit. Mabel should do well also but we’ll see how she changes over time. Stefflon Don is over now I think, a few decent singles here & there but I can’t see her being huge

+Quote this post
mdh
post 13th February 2018, 09:02 PM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 22,776

yeah I can't see Stefflon doing much - Ding A Ling was shiiiiiit and she's been quiet since, which doesn't bode well if you look at how much Mabel is throwing herself out there. Mabel seems like the most likely to keep getting big hits - and I feel like she's the only one that would debut top 40 in a song at this point

+Quote this post
danG
post 13th February 2018, 09:22 PM
Post #9
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥
User: 11,746

well both Mabel and Jorja debuted top 40 with their most recent singles, though I imagine Jorja was really helped by the Stormzy feature.

think it'll be Mabel at this point, can't see either having huge albums but she'll have consistent singles chart success.

+Quote this post
ElectroBoy
post 13th February 2018, 09:49 PM
Post #10
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 3,002

Mabel 100% IMO.

+Quote this post
Mack.
post 13th February 2018, 11:28 PM
Post #11
Group icon
It's still will be the return of the Mack 4eva
User: 12,915

Mabel between the three for me, I think.

+Quote this post
Brightest Blue
post 13th February 2018, 11:33 PM
Post #12
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 23,155

All three could debut top 40. Not that it matters anyway.

With Jorja I think there’s less pressure of getting hit after hit. Floppy singles won’t matter much because she can still get huge collabs and will still have Brits Critic Choice to fall back on.

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 25th April 2024, 12:55 PM