BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
> Personal Charts

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Jupiter 2017: Week #15, sweet like honey, sticky like gum // + links + writeup
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
J00prstar
post Apr 11 2017, 12:25 PM
Post #1
there's nothing straight about plump Elvis
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 22,895
   No Gallery Pics

Era Istrefi moves up two spots to take the crown this week, giving her a 2 for 2 record following BonBon's domination last year. Redrum released a few months ago but took a while to grow as it was so different from her previous track. When it hooks, it catches you hard though. Drake's the only new face into the top 5, ascending ten places from last week's #15 with Madiba Riddim, a track that's musically basically Too Good part II. It's his highest solo spot since the latter reached #3 last year. Everyday, Symphony, and new Gorillaz track Saturnz Barz make their top 10 debuts in the last three places.

New entries this week come at my discretion; there were a few ties where I chose to knock out the older tracks in favour of the new. Highest newie at #18 goes to Tinashe's Flame which really grew on me after hearing what people had to say about it in its thread in the R&B forum. Joining her this week come new entries from Brooke Candy with Sia, Matoma and Notorious B.I.G., X Factor alumna Kiera Weathers, Asgeir, Meadowlark, Raekwon, Betty Who with Superfruit, GoldLink with Mya (remember her?), Natasha Bedingfield (remember her?), The Jesus and Mary Chain, and another from Maggie Rogers, giving her a double this week. Prides' Away With The Night also re-enters, surging to a new peak of #14, more than 20 spots higher than its previous. It's a pretty euphoric electropop track.

Next post from me will have some track links and commentary, for now, here’s the longlist covering this second week of April:

01 Era Istrefi ft. Felix Snow - Redrum [16-3-1]
02 Nicki Minaj - No Frauds [11-2-1-2]
03 Inna - Gimme Gimme [15-2-3]
04 The XX - Dangerous [28-26-4-4]
05 Drake - Madiba Riddim [15-5]
06 Little Big Town - Don't Die Young, Don't Get Old [31-8-6]
07 Francesco Gabbani - Occidentali's Karma [10-6-7]
08 Clean Bandit ft. Zara Larsson - Symphony [14-8]
09 Ariana Grande ft. Future - Everyday [20-9]
10 Gorillaz ft. Popcaan - Saturnz Barz [34-10]
11 Lady Gaga x Andrelli - Million Reasons [18-12-11]
12 The Midnight - Synthetic [12-9-12]
13 London Grammar x THRDL!FE - Big Picture [32-11-13]
14 Prides - Away With the Night [35-39-X3-14]
15 Lorde - Green Light [37-23-23-21-15]
16 Miniature Tigers - Crying in the Sunshine [39-16]
17 Charli XCX ft. M0 - Pull Up (3am) [38-37-22-17]
18 Tinashe - Flame [N]
19 Steps - Scared of the Dark [37-20-24-19]
20 Calvin Harris ft. Frank Ocean - Slide [20-10-1-1-7-20]
21 Duran Duran ft. Kiesza x Louis Vivet - Last Night in the City [17-16-21]
22 Brooke Candy ft. Sia - Living Out Loud [N]
23 Tove Lo - Keep it Simple [39-27-25-23]
24 Maggie Rogers - On + Off [30-22-23-24]
25 The Weeknd - I Feel It Coming [36-16-13-10-25]
26 J Sutta - Pushed Me [14-9-13-26]
27 Dreezy - Wasted [24-6-5-27]
28 Matoma ft. Notorious B.I.G., Ja Rule + Ralph Tresvant - Old Thing Back [N]
29 Maggie Rogers - Dog Years [N]
30 Kiera Weathers - You Gotta Be [N]
31 Pitbull ft. Leona Lewis - Only Ones To Know [33-26-31]
32 Meadowlark x Prides - Headlights [N]
33 Asgeir - Stardust [N]
34 Goldfrapp - Moon in Your Mouth [35-34]
35 Betty Who ft. Superfruit - Beautiful [N]
36 Raekwon ft. Andra Day - Visiting Hour [N]
37 Zara Larsson - TG4M [32-37]
38 The Jesus and Mary Chain - All Things Pass [N]
39 GoldLink ft. Mya - Roll Call [N]
40 Natasha Bedingfield - Let Go [N]

#1s this year:
Fickle Friends – Brooklyn (2)
Dua Lipa – Be The One (3)
Ed Sheeran – Castle On the Hill (1)
Tal – Slow Down the Flow (1)
Martin Garrix & Dua Lipa – Scared To Be Lonely (2)
Katy Perry ft. Skip Marley – Chained To The Rhythm (2)
Calvin Harris ft. Frank Ocean + Migos – Slide (2)
Nicki Minaj ft. Drake + Lil Wayne – No Frauds (1)
Era Istrefi ft. Felix Snow – Redrum (~)

Spotify Link to my weekly A-List playlist = {click here}

This post has been edited by 360Jupiter: Apr 15 2017, 09:56 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
PeteFromLeeds
post Apr 14 2017, 10:20 AM
Post #2
Buy yourself a car, and a house in Devon
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 23,247
   No Gallery Pics

Hi Jupiter!

Great to see Symphony climbing! Finally entered my chart this week!

Nice to see Steps reach a new peak as well! Glad it got into the UK Top 40!

Great chart biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
J00prstar
post Apr 15 2017, 07:43 PM
Post #3
   No Gallery Pics

For another week running there’s a large clearout of old tracks and a bunch of new entries, leaving only three tracks (Green Light, I Feel It Coming and Slide) that’ve lasted for five weeks or more. Green Light, of the three, reaches a new peak this week – it’s been one that I’ve been hot and cold on. A few new peaks this week for long-runners including Keep It Simple (Tove Lo), Pull Up (Charli XCX), Moon in Your Mouth (Goldfrapp) and Steps’ Scared of the Dark.

And as for this week’s new entries…

A really strong pop song with a hint of Sia to it. If, say, Selena or Miley had released it, it might well have set the charts alight (sorry), but as is, it's proving a slow-burner for Tinashe. (I'll get me coat).

And speaking of Sia. Somehow Brooke Candy manages to land a collab with the rich, famous, high-class singer-songwriter on this single to lead into her debut album Daddy Issues. Perhaps proof she's got some major label backing this time around? It's a pretty enjoyable track once you get over the odd single cover and the fact that rapper Candy basically doesn't rap at all throughout the whole thing.

A slightly older one I came across dipping into Matoma's back catalogue. It's a great one that feels like summer and makes great use of the late Biggie's impressive flow and chilled out style. As EDM rap remakes go this is a strong effort - better than Mura Masa's, I'd say.

Maggie Rogers now, charting a surprise second track after On + Off landed on my charts a few weeks back. I like this track more, I think, and was surprised to find it had also been an earlier single. I'm thinking Maggie Rogers might become a favoured indiegirl this year and look forward to hearing more from her.

I have a soft spot for this one. A slightly tropical redo of Des'ree's 90s hit You Gotta Be, this time round helmed by ex-X Factor singer Kiera Weathers, who was royally shafted in her series by daring to be a girl who wasn't Louisa Johnson, and having the misfortune to appear in the series that only had 7 live shows. You Gotta Be is her debut and has been a slow-burner for me, finally hitting my A-List last week. I wish Kiera well.

With the re-entry of Away With the Night, this collab sees Prides charting a double this week. The Scotttish band continues to be up-and-coming and should see greater mainstream success this year. Meadowlark is a British band fronted by youtube star Kate McGill, active since 2013, and this is their chart debut. They’ve an album coming out in June of this year.

Another chart debut this week for Icelandic Asgeir. This one I'm pretty sure I saw first on someone else's charts and so checked out, so if you remember who you were, cheers! It's a great indie track with a dude vocalist.

This is an inspired and unepxected collab. Australian singer Betty Who makes great 80s-inspired power pop and has been around for about 3 years now, or at least she's been on my radar that long. You might recognize her from guesting on Troye Sivan's album. Beautiful teams her up with Pentatonix members Superfruit who are also youtube stars, and it's a real bop.

Coming from the rapper's latest album The Wild, released in March, Visiting Hour features Andra Day doing a vocal run. It's both acts' first track to really gel with me and gives them their chart debut. Might see myself dipping more into their back catalogue now.

Apparently this is a reworking of one of the Scottish band's earlier tracks; it's my pick from their most recent album Damage and Joy, released a few weeks ago. The band's one I've been vaguely aware of for years, but I've not really listened to them so much. This track filled my indie-rock quota the last month.

Rapper GoldLink charts a second appearance for me here and first solo following his guest on George Maple's Sticks and Horses last year, a track which ended up just outside my year-end top 10. It's another duet, and features R&B singer Mya, whose highest claim to fame remains Lady Marmalade, yes, that version with Pink and Christina Aguilera. She’s released five albums since, but unfortunately, only one’s seen any chart success.

Natasha Bedingfield's return is absolutely the most surprising renaissance to me since Willow Smith came out with a psychedelic indie album at the end of 2015. This is one of two tracks she's recently put out, the other appearing on a Disney soundtrack. In spite of myself, I like this track a lot; it's a great summery one for a drive or a trip out to the beach.

And that’s the week! Please comment if you have thoughts! Comments make me smile! biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by 360Jupiter: Apr 15 2017, 07:49 PM

+Quote Post
J00prstar
post Apr 15 2017, 07:48 PM
Post #4
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(PeteFromCats @ Apr 14 2017, 11:20 AM) *
Hi Jupiter!

Great to see Symphony climbing! Finally entered my chart this week!

Nice to see Steps reach a new peak as well! Glad it got into the UK Top 40!

Great chart biggrin.gif

Thanks Pete! Aye a few slightly surprising re-peaks this week! That might be as far as Symphony goes though! It's really not caught me as much as I expected...

+Quote Post
Dobbo
post Apr 16 2017, 07:33 PM
Post #5
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Members
Member No.: 20,053
   No Gallery Pics

Hey Jupiter!

Inna doing very well here then, great to see Symphony in another top 10 as well.

Really Kiera Weathers has a single? And is that a cover of Des'ree 90s song?

That's a lot of new entries! Recognise the Tinashe & Betty Who ones though not really a fan of either myself.

Nice chart smile.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:41 PM