BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Marvel Cinematic Universe: Rate Results, RESULTS DONE....
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Tafty³³³
post May 25 2018, 08:19 PM
Post #21
I found the love, I found the love in me
Group: Genre Mod
Member No.: 5,042

I really enjoy reading your write-ups Sam! biggrin.gif

'Thor' was my least fave Marvel movie until 'Doctor Strange' came along. It's good, but it just feels so hollow and empty to me.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
spiceboy
post May 26 2018, 02:33 PM
Post #22
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 39,568
   No Gallery Pics

Awww Thor (the first one) is one of my favourites wub.gif The second one was a bit of a let down though. I'm not overtly fond of the Captain America films I find them quite boring tbh.

+Quote Post
Nina West
post May 26 2018, 11:25 PM
Post #23
We're all Glitter and Tears in the Moonlight...
Group: Members
Member No.: 19,846
   No Gallery Pics

12. Iron Man | Avg.7.529

Highest Scores: 10: (Dexton, SamJudd), Lowest Scores: 1: (Regina)

Rotten Tomatoes Score: 94%, Worldwide Box Office: $585,174,222

At #13 we say goodbye to the one that started it all, 'Iron Man', meaning that all 3 of the Tony Stark trilogy is out of the running and leaving only one movie left in the phase 1 era of the MCU. Released in May 2008 as the first in what would end up being a long running cinematic universe that's still going strong today and would become an instant critical and commercial success with a whopping 94% on Rotten Tomatoes (would be the highest up until this year's 'Black Panther') and on a budget of $140 Million, this would end up grossing over $585 Million worldwide, with about $318 Million coming from the USA making this the 2nd highest grossing movie of that year over there. Robert Downey JR's performance as Tony Stark earned massive praise, marking a very successful comeback for him after many thought his career was over, but this would bring him back into the mainstream bigger than ever. This would kick of the MCU with a really strong foundation and therefore create hype as to what's to come next. It was also nominated for 2 Oscar's for Best Sound Editing and Best Visual Effects.

This is such a shame, it really deserves to be top 10 at the lower end at least. I mean come on it is the one that started it all and without this we wouldn't have the amazing MCU to this day and so there's a lot to thank this movie for. I remember at the time that no-one expected much from this, the character was a B-List superhero and Marvel movies that weren't X-Men or Spider-Man didn't have the best track records at the box office, being modest success's at best. Thankfully this defied all expectations and once the first trailer was shown, then the hype started to pick up and yeah okay this wasn't the biggest superhero movie of that year 'The Dark Knight' was, but it didn't launch a franchise like the way this did and even now 10 years later, I would still rank this as one the best superhero origin stories ever made.

What makes 'Iron Man' work was a number of things, but it's the sheer simplicity of telling the standard superhero origin story done right, very well executed and a hell of a lot of fun, with it's humour becoming a firm staple of the MCU bringing that fun factor that's seemed to disappear from the DC movies. Another factor as to what makes this whole thing work is the cast, namely Robert Downey JR who was perfect person to bring the arrogant Tony Stark to life and his technical suit was a breath of fresh air to superhero movies at the time. Jon Favreau's directing is fantastic in not only bringing a faithful version of the comic to the big screen and also creating a lively atmosphere and crowd pleasing action, as well as sticking to his guns and hiring Robert Downey JR in a career defining role that the MCU wouldn't be the same without. All the cast were good, Gwyneth Paltow as Pepper Potts has amazing chemistry with Tony Stark and gives a very grounded performance.

The only minor gripes that I have is that compared to the recent Marvel movies this can seem a little basic by those standards, but I suppose that they had to do a lot of world building and a lot of groundwork in order to get where they are now, but that doesn't stop this from being a pretty great time and if you wanna see an origin story done right, then look no further than this. Also the MCU's long struggle with finding suitable villains started here with Jeff Bridges abruptly wanting to create his own Iron Monger suit for that 3rd act battle, but he did play the role very well and was very convincing. However I would say that Terrance Howard as Rhodey was probably the weakest link in the cast, he just didn't seem to have that chemistry to click with Tony Stark and seemed to lack energy, but anyway he got re-cast for the later movies, so it doesn't really matter that much.

All in all 'Iron Man' is a very strong and fantastic beginning to what would become the greatest cinematic universe in the history of everything. While it may not be the most ambitious superhero movie ever made, it's not trying to be and sets out what it needs to do and just be a good time.

This post has been edited by SamJudd: May 26 2018, 11:41 PM

+Quote Post
Nina West
post May 26 2018, 11:36 PM
Post #24
   No Gallery Pics

The next to drop will be a Phase 3 movie, any guesses....

+Quote Post
Tombo
post May 27 2018, 12:08 AM
Post #25
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 9,543

Iron Man 3 is incredible and deserves to be higher. I love it! Also, like you I enjoyed the Mandarin twist.

Captain America 1 is a bit dull cos the era it is set in. I prefer modern day stuff sp that's why it isn't one of my favourites.

I love Civil War though.

+Quote Post
PaulM1983
post May 27 2018, 09:37 AM
Post #26
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Member No.: 6,471
   No Gallery Pics

If it's a Phase 3 one next, I'd drop GOTG2. It just wasn't a patch on the original in any way.

Suspect it might be Dr Strange though, which is a shame. It's really good.

+Quote Post
Tafty³³³
post May 27 2018, 11:34 AM
Post #27
I found the love, I found the love in me
Group: Genre Mod
Member No.: 5,042

NO f***ING WAY.

WTF???

Especially being beaten by Doctor Strange? No thanks!!

+Quote Post
Dexton
post May 27 2018, 12:37 PM
Post #28
rip in peace Dickston
Member No.: 25,045
   No Gallery Pics

All of phrase 3 remaining and most of phase 2... I feel like some people may have favoured the newer stuff because it's fresher in their minds tongue.gif

My ranking of remaining films:

1 Spider-Man Homecoming [A brilliant addition to the MCU and finally a decent Spiderman film, the original Tobey Maguire was just as good but his story quickly faded as the trilogy went on. Andrew Garfield did a good job acting but not good enough to excuse the crappy script and crappy everything else. Tom Holland is the Spidey we always wanted and his chemistry with Tony Stark & Doctor Strange is 10/10]
2 Captain America: The Winter Soldier
3 Doctor Strange
4 Guardians Of The Galaxy
5 Ant-Man
6 Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol 2
7 Thor Ragnarok
8 Black Panther

1 Captain America: Civil War [Aside from the fact this was a bit OTT at times I enjoyed this a lot for what it was]
2 Marvel's The Avengers [A nice first time mashup of the heroes we know and wanted to know more about, a solid standalone story]
3 Avengers: Age Of Ultron [A bit of a rehash of the first Avengers I think, not much new was introduced and what did stay doesn't interest me - Vision and the girl]

+Quote Post
Nina West
post May 28 2018, 05:50 PM
Post #29
   No Gallery Pics

11. Doctor Strange | Avg.8.071

Highest Scores: 10: (Chez Wombat, TomboOnBroadway), Lowest Scores: 6: (Klaus, T Boy)

Rotten Tomatoes Score: 89%, Worldwide Box Office: $677,541,920

At #11 we finally lose a phase 3 movie, 'Doctor Strange' which is the 14th entry in the Marvel Cinematic Universe and stars Benedict Cumberbatch as the title character and directed by Scott Derrickson. The movie was released in October 2016 and grossed over $677 Million worldwide, and was met with a positive response from critics who praised it's visuals and cast. These elements also received awards intention, including an Academy Award nomination for Best Visual Effects as well as several other award nominations and wins. This was also another movie that got stuck in development hell for several years, with several directors coming up with treatments for the film including Wes Craven and David S Goyer, until Paramount gained the rights in 2005, on behalf of Marvel Studios. Although there was a TV movie version that ran for 2 hours, released in 1978 intended as a pilot for a TV series, but wasn't picked up due to low ratings because it aired against the hugely popular 'Roots'. Creator Stan Lee had a lot of input and still says to this day that out of the TV Marvel movies/series this and 'The Incredible Hulk' were the best ones.

This is where the MCU becomes mystical with some eye popping special effects and a decent cast. Benedict Cumberbatch was a fantastic choice as Dr Strange and is able to make the arrogant and self involved character sympathetic and okay his American accent is quite questionable, but has enough charisma to make his character work and show that he was the perfect choice for this role. I am glossing over the white washing of the casting of Tilda Swinton as the Ancient One, but to honest it doesn't really matter to me, I found her a true delight in this role, she injects a lot of passion and life into her character and as always gives a truly memorable and fantastic performance. Like I already said the visuals in this are simply stunning with it's 'Inception' styled antics that really draws you into this universe. So far these are best effects that the MCU has given so far and offering us something unique and quite a treat for the eyes. Plus there is enough humour to keep the movie floating along at a solid pace.

If 'Doctor Strange' feels so familiar then it is, it's basically a magical Tony Stark origin story, which by this point the MCU was starting to rinse and repeat itself. While it is a winning formula, but for a movie about the strange and mystical you'd expect something a little different with a bit more to offer and despite looking amazing, it lacks the action and interest of the other MCU movies and feel that it's a little too high on this list (Iron Man should be above this at least), and despite a great cast a lot of them have very little to do and the final fight which is definitely unique fell a little flat for me and while I'm not saying that this movie is bad or anything, in fact it's pretty good, it just feels like a rather basic origin story and obviously just here to introduce the character into later MCU movies and it does that.

So in all 'Doctor Strange' is a good effort but not great, with some stunning visuals and enough going on to keep it from the bottom of the MCU's rankings and hopefully we'll get some more 'DS' movies in order for us to fully understand his universe and watch him develop more as a character and fully come into his own, and hopefully see even more weird and mystical dark magic and alternative realities.

This post has been edited by SamJudd: May 28 2018, 05:50 PM

+Quote Post
Nina West
post May 30 2018, 01:29 AM
Post #30
   No Gallery Pics

10. Avengers: Age Of Ultron | Avg.8.312

Highest Scores: 10: (TomboOnBroadway), Lowest Scores: 5: (Severin)

Rotten Tomatoes Score: 75%, Worldwide Box Office: $1,405,403,694

Kicking off the top 10 with a bang is 'Avengers: Age Of Ultron', where despite several high scores it surprisingly only managed a single 10, and the rest were mainly 9's and 8's, and so a pretty positive reception all round. The only negative score was a 5 which prevented this from gaining a higher average and position. Released in May 2015 as the 11th movie in the MCU as well as being a sequel to the game changing smash hit 'The Avengers' back in 2012. All of the original core cast members returned along with a few new ones, as well as director Joss Whedon, who also did the first film and was brought back on board after the success of the previous one, with a production budget of around $365 Million (the 2nd most expensive film ever made), the sequel became another success with $1.4 Billion grossed worldwide, becoming the 4th highest grossing movie of that year and received generally positive reviews, although not quite on the level of the previous one, but still overall very positive.

Following on from what the first movie achieved was always gonna be a challenge, because it's never gonna capture that new and exciting feeling of seeing these guys together on the big screen, that's just something you can't repeat, but you can still create an enjoyable experience and it's still great seeing the Marvel heavy hitters on the big screen again and that's a factor nobody can take away from you (unless it's the Justice League, then nobody cares). From that opening scene in which the Avengers operate as a well oiled superhero unit is at it's best, along with some funny moments and great character moments that makes this movie work well in it's favour. Iron Man, Thor, Captain America, Black Widow and The Hulk are all here and even Hawkeye gets a lot more love this time round, after being totally short changed in the last movie, in this one we get too see more of him and that's an aspect that I really liked. In fact the whole team together just works well off each other, the chemistry is unmistakeable and something that's carried over from the last movie. Even some of the new characters were interesting such as Scarlet Witch and Vision who'll both become more important later on, in this they make more than a welcomed addition to the team. Of course there some explosive action scenes with some amazing visuals that's always a treat and what makes this a really good summer blockbuster movie.

Unfortunately this does suffer that dreaded sequel curse in which it's definitely weaker than it's previous outing and overlong and overstuffed. It doesn't help that this movie is forced to do the heavy lifting for what's to come in later movies in which it takes up a lot of the run-time and more time should have been spent on the script. The villain Ultron was only mildly threatening and James Spader performance was really good, but making him way too quipy was a mis-step and given how menacing the character is in the comics, I think they should have went down more that route and made him more terrifying, instead of jokey. The bizarre sub-plot of Black Widow's and The Hulk's romance actually didn't bother me much, even if it was shoved in at the last minute and didn't find that it came out of nowhere as I sensed that there was some kind of spark between them in the first movie, or is that just me. While I did like some of the new characters, however found Quicksilver a rather pointless addition to the movie and Aaron Taylor Johnson's awful Russian accent didn't help matter either, I know why they chose to kill him off (because the X-Men movies did him better), in this one though I found it rather a waste and just there for the plot to coast along. Also I found the climax rather disappointing with the team fighting an army of robots, felt more like rinse and repeat unfortunately.

In all 'Avengers: Age Of Ultron' is a good superhero movie, even with it's flaws, as well as being uneven and overstuffed. I think that there was way too much pressure behind the scenes and too much studio interference. While this doesn't compare to the first one, you can still have a pretty fun time with this as there are plenty of action and decent moments to be had, but by Marvel's standards yes it is quite middling , which really says a lot about the overall quality of the MCU.

+Quote Post
Nina West
post May 30 2018, 01:37 AM
Post #31
   No Gallery Pics

We are now at the halfway point and the next to drop will be a Phase 3 movie, and here's the nine that are left in the running =

The Avengers
Captain America: The Winter Soldier
Guardians Of The Galaxy
Ant-Man
Captain America: Civil War
Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol 2
Spider-Man Homecoming
Thor: Ragnarok
Black Panther

This post has been edited by SamJudd: May 30 2018, 01:41 AM

+Quote Post
Nina West
post May 31 2018, 12:56 AM
Post #32
   No Gallery Pics

9. Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol. 2 | Avg.8.366

Highest Scores: 11: (LewisGT), 10: (Jonjo, Josh, TomboOnBroadway, SamJudd, Mack), Lowest Scores: 5: (Joe, Nightcrawler)

Rotten Tomatoes Score: 83%, Worldwide Box Office: $863,756,051

At the #9 spot and another sequel drops, 'Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol 2' which was released in May 2017, coming 3 years after the first film with James Gunn again returning to the director's chair and it's the 15th movie in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. The movie grossed over $863 Million worldwide, making it the 8th highest grossing movie of last year, as well as outgrossing it's predecessor, and received generally positive reviews, with praise going towards it's visuals, soundtrack and cast, though not deemed as fresh or good as the first movie. Like many of the other MCU entries it received an Oscar nomination for Best Visual Effects. Due to the overwhelming success a third entry is being planned for a 2020 release. This also makes this the first MCU film to drop that's scored an 11.

'Guardians 2' is a hell of a good time and writer/director James Gunn takes everything that worked in the first movie and cranked it up a few notches, and surprisingly a lot of it works, even if it isn't on the same level of the first, but this one is a very decent follow up with some cracking visuals, the beautiful colours and huge set pieces are simply stunning to look at and some of the character arcs are well thought out, along with some emotional moments (like the ending) really hits you. Of course the returning cast is what makes this a hell of a lot more fun along with Baby Groot whose just the cutest thing ever and Kurt Russell really shines as the villain Ego, I know they've changed Star-Lord's father's origin from the comic, but I don't mind, what they've done here really and it helps the narrative along. If you're looking for a strong story line, then don't bother with this one, this is just a fun space adventure and a thrilling good time that builds on everything that's built up in the first movie in some really compelling ways.

The second time round the jokes aren't as fresh and feel rather forced and some of the characters are not served so well by the sequel, namely Drax whose turned into more a comic relief type character and spends a lot of time along with others laughing too hard at things that aren't funny. Plus this does suffer a lot of the same problems 'Age Of Ultron' suffers in that you can't recapture the same magic twice, and making everything bigger and brighter doesn't always land, but I would say that this entry is definitely better than the Avengers sequel, as this does still have a lot of the stuff that worked so well the last time.

So in all 'Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol 2' is still a cracking movie with a very loose plot, which doesn't really matter as it has all your faves from the last film going on another space adventure and just having a blast while doing it. Another solid entry in the MCU, that's definitely worth a look.

This post has been edited by SamJudd: May 31 2018, 02:03 AM

+Quote Post
Dexton
post Jun 1 2018, 06:00 AM
Post #33
rip in peace Dickston
   No Gallery Pics

I enjoyed GOTG2 but I agree it wasn't on the same level as the original. But I think some of that comes from the fact we were expecting what the sequel would be like, whereas the original felt more unique and was a new experience for everyone. The plot is very thin especially compared to some other Marvel movies and at least twice I checked the time to see when it would crank up a notch, but then eventually it just ended.

Visuals, acting, etc. etc. everything here is on point except for the plot which would otherwise have probably been Top 5 here with some better storytelling.

Age of Ultron suffers from this too I think, but in terms of characters rather than the plot itself. Quicksilver, Scarlet Witch, and Vision were all just kind of thrown at us. Ultron was the only new character I actually liked in this movie but obviously being the villain he didn't last any longer in the MCU. He's more sinister and unforgiving than most other MCU villains (except obviously Thanos)

+Quote Post
Chez Wombat
post Jun 1 2018, 12:27 PM
Post #34
The owls are not what they seem
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 9,232
   No Gallery Pics

Doctor Strange is my favourite Marvel film of recent years D: I really love the greater emphasis on Sci-Fi and psychology in comparison to other films of the same ilk. GOTG 2 had some great moments and the comedy still landed really well for the most part (Baby Groot dancing to Mr Blue Sky is one of my favourite cinematic moments of last year), but it was always gonna feel inferior to the original and while I admired the ambition of the world shifting plot, it did start to get a bit incomprehensible at the end.

+Quote Post
Nina West
post Jun 2 2018, 04:48 PM
Post #35
   No Gallery Pics

8. Spider-Man: Homecoming | Avg.8.566

Highest Scores: 10: (Joe, Dexton, Jonjo, Josh, LewisGT, T Boy), Lowest Scores: 5: (PeteFromLeeds, Severin)

Rotten Tomatoes Score: 92%, Worldwide Box Office: $880,166,924

At #8 is 'Spider-Man: Homecoming' which was released in July 2017 as the 16th film in the Marvel Cinematic Universe as well as being the 2nd reboot of the character after Marvel Studios and Sony finally managed to come to a deal in 2015 and share the character rights so he can be apart of the already established MCU, with Tom Holland becoming the 3rd actor to play him on the big screen and Tom Watts was hired to direct. The movie became a critical and commercial success upon release, grossing over $880 Million worldwide, making it the 2nd most successful Spider-Man film, as well as becoming the 6th highest grossing movie of that year.

I think every Marvel fan breathed a sigh of relief when Sony finally agreed to at least share the rights to the character, especially following the disappointing 'Amazing Spider-Man' films, which to be frank weren't very good, But I will say the Tobey Maguire ones are still really good (the first 2 anyway), and I know rebooting the franchise yet again was seen as a big risk, but thankfully it paid off and it's great to see Spider-Man done right. Tom Holland is perfectly cast as the title hero, he's smart, funny and an over eager teenager who makes mistakes that teens make, which therefore makes him a very believable character, and he's also the first cinematic Spider-Man to get the quips right, and plus he fully embodies the character that we all know and love the best. Much of the success of this is that it's not yet another origin story, thank god as we've already seen it twice and don't need too see it again (take notes Batman), anyway we all know the story by now. Michael Keaton as the villain The Vulture was pure brilliance, he manages to make him genuinely frightening and somewhat sympathetic and plus the twist involving him and Peter towards the last act was totally mind blowing and totally didn't see that coming. Plus it was refreshing too see this scaled back for a change without every Spider-Man movie becoming this huge event, (something the last few movies suffered from), just a nice change that's all.

While I do have a few minor gripes with the film, like firstly I didn't mind Tony Stark showing up, but could have done without that hi-tech Spidey suit that basically made him into Iron Man Jr, and what's happened to his Spidey sense. Also while I do think it's a strong movie and yes I said it was refreshing that everything was toned down, however I did find the direction rather generic and bland in this movie, there weren't simply very many visually stunning shots or interesting and that many memorable action scenes, especially the final battle which I found rather disappointing, but aside from that this is still the best Spider-Man movie since 2004.

On the whole yes, this is definitely a step in the right direction for Spider-Man in this universe and hopefully with follow ups there will be a lot more action and risks. This is still a fairly traditional superhero movie of sorts, which reminds fans why we love the genre in the first place while still feeling fresh. Also I did like MCU attempting to make a Teen movie which is quite interesting and unique in a way and they do pull it off rather well.

This post has been edited by SamJudd: Jun 2 2018, 04:54 PM

+Quote Post
Nina West
post Jun 6 2018, 10:21 PM
Post #36
   No Gallery Pics

7. Ant-Man | Avg.8.733

Highest Scores: 11: (Dexton, Klaus), 10: (PeteFromLeeds, TomboOnBroadway, T Boy), Lowest Scores: 5: (Nightcrawler)

Rotten Tomatoes Score: 82%, Worldwide Box Office: $519,311,965

At #7 is 'Ant-Man' and comes as a total shocker considering some of the bigger and much better movies it's managed to beat, so surprising that I even added up the totals six times, just to be sure and even with it's 2 less rates it still would have beaten everything that came before it, so that's a pretty good feat for such a smaller scaled movie. Released in July 2015 as the 12th film in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, and also ending the Phase 2 era of movies. Development for this began way back in 2006 with the hiring of Edgar Wright as director and co-write with Joe Cornish. However things wouldn't begin kicking off until 2011 where both had completed 3 different drafts of the script and Wright even shot test footage for the film in July 2012. But the project ended up being put on hold so Wright could complete The World's End. In 2014 Wright left the project due to creative differences (that old excuse), though he still received screenplay and story credits, the following month Peyton Reed was brought on board to direct, as well as Adam McKay was hired to co-write the script along with Paul Rudd who also plays the title character. Upon release the movie received generally positive reviews and grossed over $519 Million at the worldwide box office, on a budget of around $180 Million, and therefore making this yet another success for the Marvel Studios.

This is a very good movie, but feel that it's way too high on here and should be a little lower. But anyway part of the genius of the Marvel formula is that they keep things interesting by incorporating other genre styles into their movies, like in this case a crime caper movie, and 'Ant-Man' does get a lot of mileage out of this kind of classic heist style. The slightly slower pace of getting the team together, the single focused goal and of course the montages which are always a fun addition. This movie knows all of the genre clichés and just runs away with them all, and an important factor to it's success is it's much smaller scale, especially coming off the back of the bloated 'Age Of Ultron'. This movie also has a surprising amount of heart to it with it's 2 separate father-daughter storylines, which you can tell that there was effort put into this. Paul Rudd makes for a likeable leading man and okay not someone you'd think off as a superhero, but he is fantastic in the role, as well as Michael Douglas as Hank Pym (nice to see him in movies again), whose fantastic in the mentor role and Evangeline Lily also gives a good supporting turn, and can't wait too see her as The Wasp in the sequel.

There's not much bad I could say about this, except that maybe the villain is kinda generic, but I didn't mind him too much I thought Corey Stroll hammed it up just enough and had a blast and yeah some might complain that the stakes are low, however that doesn't bother me personally, it's one of those MCU movies you can watch without seeing all the others that came before it, just a fun little superhero movie. Plus it was a shame that we didn't get to see The Wasp in this one, as it seems that the men in this movie prevent that from happening, like I said that's gonna happen in the sequel and that's great.

In all 'Ant-Man' is a fun little movie, maybe we needed something stripped back by this point and shows that the MCU can still do these kind of movies. Parts of the formula were getting a bit stale by this point, but if you're looking for a fun waste of time and not something heavy or too deep, then this entry is definitely for you.

+Quote Post
Tombo
post Jun 7 2018, 04:46 AM
Post #37
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 9,543

Ant-Man slays, I really enjoyed it. I can't wait for the sequel!

Homecoming for me is one of the weakest MCU films.

+Quote Post
Severin
post Jun 9 2018, 08:37 PM
Post #38
Mansonette
Member No.: 9,872
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(SamJudd @ Jun 6 2018, 11:21 PM) *
a smaller scaled movie.
it's much smaller scale,
a fun little superhero movie.
a fun little movie,

I see what you did there. Nice

+Quote Post
Dexton
post Jun 10 2018, 02:53 AM
Post #39
rip in peace Dickston
   No Gallery Pics

Ant-Man got my 11 but Spider-Man was very close. I love the castinf in Ant-Man and Paul Rudd works really well as the laid back comedic type of superhero. He’s not even a superhero in this really and is just a pawn in Civil War - obviously he wasn’t interested in being Earths local ant hero so he went into hiding as you do. It’s a comedy-heist movie and is only a superhero movie by being attached to the MCU really, and as Sam said coming after Age Of Ultrom this was a nice way to chill things down a bit for the end of Phase 2. The train scene is one of my favourite cinematic moments in the MCU to date too laugh.gif

Spider-Man: Homecoming is like I said a close second. I find that I enjoy the comedic-superhero movies more than the drama-superhero ones - mainly being Thor 1&2 and sort of Captain America 1. Hulk can also be a bit of a chore sometimes but tbh I haven’t seen it in years. Tom Holland is my favourite Spidey to date and I feel as if Marvel will know when to phase him out this time whereas the last two Spidermen just got worse & worse as time went by. Michael Keaton was fantastic as Vulture too, he’s a fantastic actor as it is and it was a huge sort of throwback to Birdman which is also an incredible movie (actually better than these tbh)

+Quote Post
Nina West
post Jun 11 2018, 02:48 AM
Post #40
   No Gallery Pics

6. Black Panther | Avg.8.909

Highest Scores: 10: (PeteFromLeeds, Blacksquare, SamJudd), Lowest Scores: 7.5: (Josh)

Rotten Tomatoes Score: 97%, Worldwide Box Office: $1,345,665,841

At the #6 spot is the newest Marvel movie to feature in this countdown 'Black Panther', which makes a really impressive landing on this list, considering it's so new, but that was also it's downfall in a way because it had the least amount of votes and therefore had the 2nd lowest score. However considering the really high scores it had anyway, it would have definitely done well either way. Directed by Ryan Coogler and starring Chadwick Boseman as the title character, the movie was released in February of this year and received universal acclaim with a whopping 97% on Rotten Tomatoes (the highest MCU movie so far) as well as being noted for it's cultural significance, It grossed over $1.3 Billion worldwide, making it 2nd highest grossing movie of the year so far and 9th highest grossing movie of all time. Wesley Snipes had expressed interest in a Black Panther movie back in 1992, but the project never came to fruition and instead he starred in another Marvel based movie 'Blade' a few years later.

Well I must say that this was a really great movie and definitely one of the best MCU films to date with a fantastic ensemble cast, along with some amazing special effects and even Wakanda itself is such a stunning and magical place that clearly steals the show, with it's vibrant world that's both futuristic and yet steeped in culture and tradition, making the whole thing very much unique. The plot is probably one of the most interesting and tightly woven that the MCU has brought us so far, that deals with the internal and external conflicts the country is going through and a villain played excellently by Michael B Jordan gives such a compelling and relatable performance that makes him one of the strongest villains of this universe to date. Even Chadwick Boseman himself provides a very strong lead having a character like him take centre stage in a blockbuster event such as this is a true turning point and shows that he was worth the hype from his breakout role in 'Captain America - Civil War' back in 2016. Danai Guirira and Letitia Wright also provides strong supporting performances and shows that it isn't just the men that get all the praise in this film, they both provide such great positive role models for women everywhere and can't wait to see more of them in further adventures.

I haven't seen this movie as many times as some of the other MCU films, so it's still pretty new to me and despite only seeing it twice I still love it, with such interesting themes, dazzling effects that are almost perfect apart from the final battle at the end between Black Panther and Killmonger where it goes off the rails a bit and becomes so dark that when they're in their dark coloured costumes where it's hard to tell them apart, but other than that the movie is fun as hell and a refreshingly welcomed addition to a film series that did need that extra boost to stop it from becoming stale.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 07:39 PM