BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
3 Pages V  < 1 2 3  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Marvel Cinematic Universe: Rate Results, RESULTS DONE....
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Nina West
post 11th June 2018, 02:57 AM
Post #41
Group icon
We're all Glitter and Tears in the Moonlight...
User: 19,846

Just 5 left now and they are...

The Avengers
Captain America: The Winter Soldier
Guardians Of The Galaxy
Captain America: Civil War
Thor: Ragnarok

Any thoughts any predictions....
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Dexton
post 11th June 2018, 03:15 AM
Post #42
Group icon
rip in peace Dickston
User: 25,045

I predict that they’ll be in the order you put them tbh laugh.gif

1. The Avengers
Guardians Of The Galaxy
5. Thor: Ragnarok

Avengers just has to win this but I can see Winter Soldier being a close second. Ragnarok is good but idk if it’s worthy of Top 5 already

+Quote this post
post 11th June 2018, 07:47 AM
Post #43
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 19,931

Infinity War should be #1...Wait..

The top 5 is actually perfect imo. I'd have had Homecoming a couple of spots higher though maybe.

+Quote this post
PaulM1983
post 11th June 2018, 08:04 AM
Post #44
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 6,471

Definitely the right top 5, but Infinity War would be number 1 for me now. Not sure what that would push out though. Probably Winter Soldier for me. I couldn't lose Ragnarok - it's so fantastic.

+Quote this post
Nina West
post 13th June 2018, 11:01 PM
Post #45
Group icon

5. Thor: Ragnarok | Avg.9.312

Highest Scores: 10: (Nightcrawler, Jonjo, Josh, Regina, Blacksquare, TomboOnBroadway, Qween, SamJudd), Lowest Scores: 7: (Klaus)

Rotten Tomatoes Score: 92%, Worldwide Box Office: $853,977,126

At #5 we finally say goodbye to the last of the Thor films, with the previous instalments bowing out in 13th and 16th place respectively, 'Ragnarok' trounces both in not only scores and position, but in overall quality as well, and therefore rounding off the trilogy with a bang. Released in November 2017 as the 17th movie in the MCU and serves as a sequel to both the title character's previous entries 2011's 'Thor' and 2013's 'Thor: The Dark World'. Directed by Taika Waititi and stars Chris Hemsworth as Thor, along with Mark Ruffalo joining the cast as The Hulk, marking his return to the MCU since 2014. Upon release the movie received high critical praise with many declaring it the best of the trilogy and grossed $854 Million worldwide on a $180 Million budget, making this not only the best received out of the 3, but the most successful as well as becoming the 9th highest grossing movie of 2017.

Out of the 3 Marvel movies released last year who'd have thought that this would have been the best one. Now you gotta admit that a lot of people including myself weren't that excited at the thought of another Thor movie, especially considering the disappointment of the 2nd one, but once the first trailer came out, I became highly interested and excited to boot. Pushing the Shakespearean stuff aside that was established in the first movie was a smart move on director Taika Waititi's side and instead choosing to go a much more light hearted and retro-futuristic tone was something that was much needed for this franchise and even the serious tone of the 2nd one is all but gone here, despite the planet ending nature of the title. The movie relies heavily on Chris Hemsworth's charm, showing that by this point he has fully embraced this godly character and definitely made him is own. The quips and gags come at a steady pace occasionally interrupted by some better than average superhero action, and how can you not enjoy a movie where Thor and Hulk smash their way through everything.

I think the MCU has finally found what works for these characters that have had the most trouble adapting to the big screen, and turns out that all was needed was to put them both together in an intergalactic buddy movie made for a fun romp. Okay the constant laugh a minute direction may not be for everyone, but I had hell of a fun time with it and plus I did find that his friends were cruelly shafted, however not everything can be perfect. Another aspect that made this whole thing work was the excellent cast, of course I've already mentioned the big two Thor and Hulk, but Tom Hiddleston also makes a welcomed return as Loki, and the way he and Thor bounce off each other is always a treat. Cate Blanchett as Hela makes for a fantastic villain, she literally chews every scene she's in and just runs away with it, making her another great Marvel villain and probably one of the best. Tessa Thompson as Valkyre is another welcomed addition to the team and makes for a strong female character and more than holds her own with the other cast members.

So in all, yes finally a Thor movie that finally works on every level and needless to say, it's another one of those refreshing MCU movies that we've had over the last couple of years, and shows why they still remain on top with their cinematic universe. Take notes D.C..

+Quote this post
Tombo
post 14th June 2018, 08:56 AM
Post #46
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 9,543

I love Ragnarok!

Civil War and Winter Soldier to SMASH!

+Quote this post
Nina West
post 20th June 2018, 04:21 PM
Post #47
Group icon

4. The Avengers | Avg.9.441

Highest Scores: 11: (Nightcrawler), 10: (PeteFromLeeds, Joe, Dexton, Chez Wombat, Jonjo, LewisGT, Severin, SamJudd, Klaus), Lowest Scores: (None lower than 8)

Rotten Tomatoes Score: 92%, Worldwide Box Office: $1,518,812,988

At #4 it's a big one 'The Avengers', making this the last of the first phase of Marvel movies to feature here. Released in May 2012 as the 6th film in the MCU and written and directed by Joss Whedon and features an ensemble cast that includes Robert Downey Jr, Chris Evans, Chris Hemsworth Scarlett Johansson, Mark Ruffalo and Jeremy Renner as the title team. Development began in 2005 when Marvel Studios received a loan from Merrill Lynch. After the success of 'Iron Man' in 2008, Marvel announced the movie's release date of July 2011, however would end up being pushed back to 2012. Upon release the movie would receive positive reviews as well as breaking box office records with $1.5 Billion grossed worldwide, becoming the highest grossing movie of that year as well as becoming the 3rd highest grossing movie of all-time, and would receive numerous awards and nominations including Academy Award and BAFTA nominations for Best Visual Effects. Of note this was also the first Marvel movie to gross over a Billion in ticket sales and the massive success of this would put the MCU on the map as a force to be reckoned with.

I think the iconic nature of this film really speaks for itself, and I remember that when this was first announced nobody (including me) would think that the studio was ever going to pull this off. But boy are we glad that they did, this was the first movie ever to take established superheroes in their own solo movies and put them all together into one giant crossover event, and that was thanks to the foundations already laid by the previous entries and the skilled hands of writer/director Joss Whedon who knows just how to let these characters play off one another and gives everybody (mostly) a chance to shine. You've got to admit that it's a pretty damn fantastic fun time with heroes galore, action packed blockbuster battles and enough balance in the story to let it flow together without it becoming bogged down or clustered.

If you're a fan of Marvel (like I am), there was nothing to compare the sheer thrill of seeing Iron Man, Captain America, Thor & Hulk assemble together in one movie, and witnessing this back then was the ultimate HIGH, and nothing can take that away from you, and while there have been other Avengers movies since, no matter how good they are they will never have that same impact ever again, because we've got to see them together in this one and that's a total game changer in itself. In the past the closest we've had to seeing a superhero team together was the X-Men movies, but none of them could compare to the quality of this one, even when Batman and Superman finally teamed up for their own movie (which ended up being disappointing), these guys did it first and not only created something special, but the most exciting cinematic universe ever.

There are a few nit picky points that I have to make about this movie, firstly yeah the storyline is serviceable at best, the basic plot of aliens invading New York forcing the team to come together and stop them (huh just remembered the awful Justice League movie basically used this same plot line 5 years later). Now that we've had far more complicated crossover stories, the basicness of this doesn't quite hold up as it did the first time, and also Hawkeye gets really shafted here, but gladly he got a better shot in the sequel, and even with these points they don't really bother me very much and can still have a fun time with this.

So in all while this may not be the masterpiece it once was, 'The Avengers' is still an incredible feat of cinematic history, and therefore defining all odds. Finally can I just say that even with the recasting of Mark Ruffalo as The Hulk, who I must say turned in a much better performance than Edward Norton and it's finally nice to see this character done right for a change after 2 somewhat shaky attempts.

+Quote this post
Nina West
post 20th June 2018, 04:23 PM
Post #48
Group icon

Our final 3 remaining MCU movies left are =

Guardians of The Galaxy

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 21st June 2018, 03:13 PM
Post #49
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 5,042

What a MARVELlous top 3 *.*

+Quote this post
Mack.
post 30th June 2018, 11:34 AM
Post #50
Group icon
It's still will be the return of the Mack 4eva
User: 12,915

Guardians of the Galaxy to just edge of hopefully.

+Quote this post
Nina West
post 5th July 2018, 07:30 PM
Post #51
Group icon

3. Captain America: The Winter Soldier | Avg.9.47

Highest Scores: 11: (Regina, Blacksquare, Qween), 10: (Joe, Chez Wombat, Jonjo, SamJudd, Klaus, Mack), Lowest Scores: 6: (PeteFromLeeds)

Rotten Tomatoes Score: 89%, Worldwide Box Office: $714,264,267

At #3 we finally lose another Captain America movie, 'The Winter Soldier', which was the 2nd in the trilogy, released in April 2014 as the 9th film in the MCU and based upon the Marvel graphic novel of the same name by Ed Brubaker. A major influence was conspiracy fiction from the 1970's such as 'Three Days of the Condor', with the script based upon it's comic. The movie was directed by Anthony and Joe Russo who would also go on to direct 'Civil War' & 'Infinity War'. Upon release the movie became a critical and commercial success, grossing over $714 Million worldwide on a budget of around $177 Million, and making it the 7th highest grossing movie of that year and received an Academy Award nomination for Best Visual Effects.

Given at how low the first Captain America film is on this list (a mere #14), you might be surprised that it's sequel or sequels (the 3rd is still to come), but 'The Winter Soldier' really set the bar high for not only the MCU but superhero movies in general and like many of the best Marvel films, this one is a totally different take on the universe with it's take on 70's cold war thriller for inspiration and just runs away with it and barely puts a foot wrong. It's a little darker and more complicated than your average superhero fare, but that just makes the whole thing a lot more interesting and gripping with some fantastic action scenes, namely that elevator scene with Cap taking on a bunch of Hydra agents single handedly, which where you have to admit is AMAZING!, and not only that it's also one of the most well balanced movies in this universe in terms of action and pace, and the Russo brothers really set a lot of groundwork and a level of quality for future films, and no wonder they were hired again for 'CW' & 'AIF'.

'Winter Soldier' is one of the best Marvel movies in my opinion (and Buzzjack voters agree with me), and yes I am a Captain America fan, and this was the moment when he became a firm favourite among many, Chris Evans proves yet again why he was the perfect choice for this role and any doubts would be wiped away with the excellence of his performance in this movie, he really came into his own and now it would be hard to imagine anyone else in this role. Black Widow also gets the best treatment that she's ever gotten in this entry and given a lot more to do and quite rightly so. Samuel L Jackson gets more screen time than usual as Nick Fury and actually gets more involved in the plot and yeah he's just plain awesome. Anthony Mackie gets introduced as Falcon and proves he's a really decent sidekick and having fun with his role. Robert Redford adds that extra gravitas and sophistication as Alexander Pierce. Then finally there's Sebastian Stan as Bucky a.k.a. The Winter Soldier, gives a fantastically layered and gripping performance of a character who would become a major player in future movies.

There isn't anything bad you can say about this movie, okay I know the final act gets a bit of flack for delving into the usual superhero fare, but that didn't bother me at all, because the movie on the whole is just great and really holds up on repeated viewings (I've probably watched this the 2nd highest amount of times), and this was the moment where the MCU films went from just being good to being pretty damn excellent and perfectly set high standards for what lays ahead.

+Quote this post
Nina West
post 5th July 2018, 07:31 PM
Post #52
Group icon

So it's 'Guardians Of The Galaxy' VS 'Captain America - Civil War' who will win...

+Quote this post
PaulM1983
post 8th July 2018, 08:51 AM
Post #53
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 6,471

They're not my top 2 but out of them Civil War should win. Guardians is fantastic and deserves to finish high, but it's not the best of the bunch.

+Quote this post
Dexton
post 11th July 2018, 03:48 AM
Post #54
Group icon
rip in peace Dickston
User: 25,045

Civil War will definitely win, although I can also see Guardians sneaking past with higher average votes

+Quote this post
Nina West
post 12th August 2018, 12:56 AM
Post #55
Group icon

2. Guardians Of The Galaxy | Avg.9.764

Highest Scores: 11: (Chez Wombat, Jonjo, Severin, T Boy, Mack), 10: (Dexton, Josh, LewisGT, Qween, SamJudd, Klaus), Lowest Scores: 7/7.5: (PeteFromLeeds, Regina)

Rotten Tomatoes Score: 91%, Worldwide Box Office: $773,328,629

*Commentary coming soon...

1. Captain America: Civil War | Avg.9.823

Highest Scores: 11: (PeteFromLeeds, Joe, Josh, TomboOnBroadway, SamJudd), 10: (Dexton, Nightcrawler, Chez Wombat, Jonjo, Regina, Blacksquare, LewisGT, Klaus, T Boy), Lowest Scores: 7: (Severin, Mack)

Rotten Tomatoes Score: 91%, Worldwide Box Office: $1,153,304,495

COMMENTARY COMING SOON....

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 12th August 2018, 01:01 AM
Post #56
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 5,042

I'd have preferred a switch, however, I can't begrudge a Civil War win wub.gif

Looking forward to reading your comments!!

+Quote this post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 25th April 2024, 08:42 AM